Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros

markallmon, Dec 23, 2012

Just like the Boston lager, with a less prevalent taste, but the taste kicks in at the end. A good beer for when you don't want to get full. But still not as good as some of the other Sam Adams varieties. not bad if you just want a good beer but don't want to be filled up, or excessively drunk, still a better alternative than bud light.

twi1609372, Nov 14, 2002

JCurry, May 20, 2012

athouve1, Nov 19, 2011

Judging this beer solely as a light lager... WOW! This would give a lot of "full" lagers a run for their money. It has a malty backbone and decent hop character. I have never had a light beer that I have liked, including the much loved Amstel. I am not a light beer drinker, but if I was this would be my beer.

RushLimbmalt, Nov 16, 2004

I'm not going to run through the usual on this one. It's got a great copper color, nice aroma, and a wonderful smell. I think that has been determined already.

However, here is what I want to convey to all of my fellow beer brothers:

Take this for what it is and not for what it isn't. Here is a brewer (I say pioneer) that has defied conventional wisdom by creating a light, lawnmower beer for the beer snob and did it with out rice syrup solids! Koch and crew have created a "Light" beer that has a wonderful flavor, aroma, and color. I say BRAVO!

This beer deserves an A+ for all that it represents and not the catagory it resides in.

Z

AtlasBrew, Feb 07, 2009

Beerboi1123, Mar 01, 2012

Tastes like "real" beer. Best light lager I've ever had. The scores for this guy are entirely unfair given the style that this is in.
There's head, there's depth of color (a lovely amber color), you can actually find malt and hops in the taste and smell...
Very smooth, very rich (for a light lager, mind you...)
Can we all say "session brew"?
What the hell else could ask for in a light beer?

ommegangpbr, Jul 12, 2005

InstantBeer, Sep 08, 2014

chcfan, Nov 28, 2011

spikechiquet, Dec 22, 2012

There arent to many beers that I would give a perfect score to but this is one of them. I wish this was a standard for an American Lager. I really enjoy the malt aroma from this beer. The color is gorgeous, a hint of yellow with light amber hue to it. There is a very nice malt and hop balance here. Light enough to make it drinkable and yet flavorful enough to keep you wanting more! Great beer!

arboristfish, Nov 06, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +49.7%

Cmw8021, Aug 25, 2014
4.83/5  rDev +48.2%

Pours a golden color with a very thin head. Aroma is one of malt and a bit of sweetness, much more than a typical light lager. Taste is much of the same except that it has a nice biscuity goodness to it. Goes down very smooth and tastes better than many other examples of the style that I have had.

No other light lager can come close to this one. This beer is perfection for the style as far as I'm concerned. Not many craft beer companies have even made light lagers. However, it's too bad that many macros cannot come close to matching a beer as good as this. It's not thin or watery, there are no adjuncts and it doesn't taste like a typical light lager. Could down a few of these on a warm day when I didn't feel like drinking heavier beers.

Brad007, Sep 17, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +47.2%

This beer poured a very clear bright yellow. The head Served as a bright golden colored beer with moderate white puffy head. The aroma was good balance of hops and malt, with the slightest touch of citrus note.

The flavor was excellent with a nice and well balanced complex blend of malt and hops. The mouthfeel was light with good carbonation. This is a very decent and enjoyable beer considering it is a form of a light beer and when I decide to stock some light beer for guests this would be it. Of course, I don't routinely drink light beers. All in all, this is a good beer to try.

Kahalo, Sep 19, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +45.7%

Kcarl, Feb 08, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +45.7%

Molnar, Sep 24, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +42.6%

I tried this beer on a lark, wanting a bottle of light beer as a 'cleansing ale' after a bomber of the stronger stuff for my thrice a week 'beer night.' I couldn't find the Amstel Light, and purchased one of these.

First of all, I'm not crazy about light beer - many are just glasses of water spoiled - when I see the young guys lugging cases of that stuff to the check stand, I assume they're the victims of slick advert campaigns.

However, this brew amazed me, and I think in the pantheon of light beers should rate far higher than it is here. This is LIGHT BEER folks, not regular, give it its due. It has a firm, almost nutty taste, no skunk and a smooth mouth feel. It pours a rich colour into the glass, rather like my beloved Yuengling, and frankly tastes like an old recipe lager. It is light in alcohol, only 4%, which makes it a great afternoon beer - its flavourful character will hold its own with anything from pasta to burgers.

Dirtgoddess, Sep 13, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +41.1%

I just got home from the bar where i sample various beers. I cleansed my pallet before each.
Sam Adam's light had a great smell for a light beer.
My first sip on my tongue and I said hmmm, not impressed ( I run over all of my taste buds). then when I went to swallow I was surprised (it hit the back ones). It tastes like regular sam adams but with less of a bite. A little more watery. But tthat slides for light beers.
However, I wouldn't suggest this beer, just go for sam Adams. The carbs and calories are still high, which makes drinking it pointless.
Overall this beer is excellent especialy for a light beer. I rated other beers that aren't as good as this higher. I thnk for what this is going for, I believe a vienna lager type beer, it could do a little bit better. But then again, it is a light beer.

jasonjlewis, Apr 11, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +39.6%

Appearance - Fairly dark, but clear gold. Much darker than most lights; actually looks like a beer. Moderate-sized creamy head with that doesn't immediately fade. A little lacing.

Smell - Mild grainy odor. Slightly sweet smelling, but nothing like the adjunct odors of most lights. Might be just a hint of floral hops. Smell is much more noticable than almost all light lagers I've smelled.

Taste - Nice malty change of pace from most light lagers. Sweet, but not adjuncty. Little bit of hops adds a bite of bitterness lacking in most macro lights. Dry and clean finish. Nothing overly complex, but definitely legitimate beer.

Mouthfeel - Quite light, watery even. Heavy-carbonation tang after every mouthfull. Pretty average.

Drinkability - Light, but not like you're used to - its light, but its got taste. I would take this stuff over any light lager I've sampled.

In my experience so far, Sam Adams Light is the king of light lagers. Why? (1) You can taste it, (2) it tastes good and (3) there are indications that this is indeed a beer, i.e. malt and hops not corn and rice. While it's probably best to man up and drink a real beer, if you gotta go light try this.

scaliasux, May 26, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +39.6%

A- a lighter version of the regular version. Amber with a medium carbonation. Nice two finger head. Nice look for a light beer, puts all bmc lights to shame.

S- Not bad at all. Again, a less intense version of the regular.

T- Very refreshing after a run or yard work. Great summer beer.

M- pleasent, light and easy going down.

D- Great session beer

Sure do wish all light beers were this good!

dcook11, Jun 13, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +39.6%

Poured a nice clear light copper with a thin whisp of white for a head.
Smell is just light malt don't pick up any hops.
Taste malts a slight vegetable tinge of hops, compared to traditional light lager this blows them all away.
Mouthfeel is light but no where near water like. Well carbonated.
Drinkability is for the style amazing.

sliverX, Feb 27, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +39.6%

Pours a copper color with a nice lace of head. The smell has virtually no aromas of corn or rice, but rather malty aromas. The taste has a very caramel malt flavor to it with bitterness being minimal. Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp. This is hands down the best light lager I've ever had. It's gonna be pretty hard to beat this.

DrainBamage, Jan 23, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +39%

This is an EXCELLENT beer to try if you're relatively new to beer. Don't let the name fool you, this isn't a "light" beer. It's simply a lighter version of Boston Lager. It's also nothing similar to the vast majority of "light beers". It's full of flavor, uses traditional ingredients (no adjuncts), and is a nice amber color. The only low point to this beer is the lack of head retention and less than desirable lacing; but with that we're talking trivial aesthetics that don't effect how it tastes or drinks.

This was the first "real" beer I tried, and it was love at first taste. Right down the middle balanced, yet you can clearly taste both the malty sweetness and hop bitterness. While the hop character is subtle, it's clearly present. The appearance of this beer is hard to beat. A clear amber hue with a few carbonation strands make for a dazzling display in any beer glass.

I can't praise this beer enough, or stress it's drinkability, especially for beginning drinkers. It's also a great beer to have if you're the driver for the night because of the somewhat modest ABV; all the characteristics of a great non-light beer but you can enjoy one of two more because it won't impair you as fast as most other "real" beers will. Happy Drinking!

Kestrel452, Sep 23, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +38%

Will96, Sep 01, 2012
Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)