2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,819 | Reviews: 814 | Show All Ratings:
BeerBelcher

1.65/5  rDev -49.5%

Don't believe the hype! After the commercials and wearing the Sam Adams label, I really expected better from this beer. While I know this beer is not made with adjuncts, it had an unpleasant corny/grainy taste that I assoicated with some of the Mexican imports, like Sol. It was not horrible, with more color than other light beers, but if I were to pick-up a light beer, I'd be much happier drinking a Miller Lite than with a Sam Light.

06-16-2007 17:54:34 | More by BeerBelcher
Hawk345

1.78/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

What is the point. No flavour, lite, dull, its like spending the afternoon being made to visit the most boring relative you have.
Slight flavour resembles watered down beer.Even reminds you of the days you used to drink beer. Real beer. Maybe a Brewdog punk IPA, or anything that has any resemblance to something good.
Dont do it
Its bad

08-30-2012 23:17:50 | More by Hawk345
MoreThanWine

1.9/5  rDev -41.9%

And this is supposed to be better than the other light beers WHY? It pours a 1/2 inch head fading to just a trace almost immediately. Color looks like Lipton tea. To me it had next to no flavor and you could drink this thing without even thinking "I'm having a beer". It takes serious imagination to start coming up with anything more than "tea" to describe it.

Since it actually has color and is not flavorLESS I'd still have to score it above some other lights, but that's not saying much.

And hey, I've been living in Boston 20 years, I'd like to cheer for the locals, I just can't cheer for Sam Adams Light.

09-06-2010 11:08:36 | More by MoreThanWine
MiScusi

1.98/5  rDev -39.4%

I understand what they are aiming for in this beer, and the reason I score it so low is because it is so highly carbonated that it almost hurts when it hits your tongue. It made it almost undrinkable to me. That and it still has that "cheap beer" feel regardless of being all-natural or whatever they claim. It looks nice in a glass though, at least for a light lager.

12-03-2006 23:18:35 | More by MiScusi
9InchNails

1.98/5  rDev -39.4%

Its pretty dark for a light beer but overall a light amberish golden color. White head that's smooth and creamy looking. It looks extremely carbonated with bubbles rushing to the top to form the creamy head. Some lacing on the bottom half of the glass.

It has that light smell that most light beers have. I can smell the hops and the grainy smell. It smells a little better than light beers though.

Not as carbonated as I thought. Very smooth.

Is there even a taste? This is the most bland tasting light beer I have ever tried... I take that back... Coors light is, this is almost as bad. I'm trying to taste the hops I can't. Tastes like carbonated water and a single hop added.

Drink Ability I don't like the taste, I don't want another one ever.

If you like Coors Light and you're tired of getting made fun of for drinking it, give yourself a better name and you really don't have to sacrifice the taste all that much from Coors Light. At least you're drinking a Sam's, right?

11-19-2010 06:04:56 | More by 9InchNails
LiquidBreadMan

2.03/5  rDev -37.9%

I don't know if the generally good quality of Boston Beer duped me on this one. . . Or if it was the exceptionally juvenile ad campaign of their newest offering. But for weeks, I'd inquired with every liquor store in town about Sam Adams Light only to end up buying the Boston Lager or Stock Ale. After my first (and only) prized six-pack of the low-cal "sweet nectar", I can only express disappointment.

Admittedly, I guzzled the first one, right from the bottle. After that, I gave it a fair test in a pilsner glass. The appearance, a pleasant amber, is the only reedeming quality about this brew -- and even that is not an award winner in my book. The head was average in my experience.

Aromatically, this beer smelled stale, with a faint aroma of corn and hops. The taste was much the same. Mouthfeel was slightly on the dry side, which could have been my pucker.

Honestly, I'm concerned that this beer became overheated in the delivery truck. I'm a longtime fan of Boston Beer and this is the most disappointed I've ever been with them.

02-11-2003 05:24:11 | More by LiquidBreadMan
bobhits

Kentucky

2.03/5  rDev -37.9%

The beer makes note that there isn't any lingering bitterness, I'm already upset.

Pours a nice amber color, a good bit darker than any diet beer, and even a bit more than most lighter summer beers. Head and lacing are after thoughts.

Caramel, toast, and a hint of bitterness make for an inviting nose even the description, but a bit bland by any other standards.

This is like really watered down amber in the malt profile, but the hops given off just enough bitterness though I can't even being to describe them as they don't impart much flavor. I assume this is rather fresh because once the bitterness fades even a hair this beer is going from rather drinkable to being just water.

This beer delivers what it claims to. Not a singing endorsement and for a company that says "this is no light beer" and who admits that calories aren't light, well I'm not going to rush out to buy more.

08-29-2011 03:00:49 | More by bobhits
TheDM

Indiana

2.05/5  rDev -37.3%

This brew poured a medium head of finely sized white bubbles and a transparent light amber brown body. The head faded away fairly quickly and left no lacing. It has a very mild unnoticeable aroma. Its flavor is a bit on the fizzy side and that of mild hops. It was fairly smooth with a bit of a foretaste and a mild lingering hop aftertaste.

07-15-2003 16:17:16 | More by TheDM
jujubeast6000

2.05/5  rDev -37.3%

Reviewed 10/19/2005 (bottle):

Light brown in color, not much head which diminished quickly, not much aroma but hoppy floral scent, very slight bitter, tastes like a light domestic beer but better..somehow, light body, slightly oily. Again, good for a light beer, but if you can handle regular beer, go with that instead for better taste.

11-10-2008 04:00:57 | More by jujubeast6000
kojevergas

2.08/5  rDev -36.4%

33cl brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an imperial pint glass in high altitude Denver, CO. Reviewed live.

A: Five finger head of nice cream, good thickness, and good retention - though it's only four percent. Clear yellow-copper colour.

Sm: Lemon-lime citrus ester hops and slightly off barley. Not really appealing. Aroma is mild in strength.

T: Very light lemon esters, light weak barley as a foundation, and a nasty faux-cream climax. Best described as abysmal. It isn't even ruined by its simplicity, just by its flavour. Badly built and rather imbalanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet - overly so on both counts. Not at all complementary of the style or the flavours of the body.

Dr: You could easily down it if only you could get past the wretched "flavours". A huge disappointment from Sam Adams.

08-13-2011 04:10:19 | More by kojevergas
ark57

2.1/5  rDev -35.8%

I was given a Christmas sampler from Sam Adams this year, so I found myself with 2 Lights to drink. It has a pale golden color, though it is slightly darker than many other light beers. The aroma slightly sweet, but it is barley there. It has a light body and an ever so slight bitterness. It is fuller in body and hoppier than most other lights, but definitely not worth drinking

02-20-2004 13:18:26 | More by ark57
vitesse

2.13/5  rDev -34.9%

served in brown 12 oz. bottle.

i got this one in a mixed 12-pack and felt compelled to try it. pours an amber color with very very high clarity. head is way too fizzy. the beer's texture is just awful. super high carbonation and fizziness just ruins this for me. yeah there's a slight touch of carmelly malt flavor but it's not enough to mask the metallic finish and over-carbonated body. i understand that it's a light beer but i would actually prefer a pils style -- this one just didn't work and tasted way off balance. i'd recommend it maybe if someone only drank lite beers and wanted to taste a bit more malt, but c'mon -- that's not enough of a raison d'etre.

02-16-2004 15:45:03 | More by vitesse
smcolw

2.13/5  rDev -34.9%

Crystal clear, light amber in color with a mediocre fast-fading head

Pale malt aroma with a touch of hop; very mild aroma

Thin and relatively flavorless, it's difficult to detect any real beer-like flavors.

With Light Beers dominating the conventional beer market, it's understandable that Boston Beer Co. would want to enter into the fray. And the like nationals, this beer is watered down, bland and non-descript. It will probably sell to the masses nicely. Personally, I preferred Sam's old Lightship.

02-21-2004 18:03:07 | More by smcolw
immunoboy

2.15/5  rDev -34.3%

The color made me wonder if this really was a light beer, but the nose lacked in depth. My eyes fooled my tastebuds, because at first sip, I was surprised at the watered down quality of the beer. As light beers go, it IS the best I have tasted. However, I unfortunately do not quite enjoy this class of beer.

10-12-2005 15:00:14 | More by immunoboy
kimcgolf

2.15/5  rDev -34.3%

Sam Adams beers are generally decent, but I must have either gotten a skunked one, or this beer just really sucks. Nose was grainy, taste was like wet burlap, and the finish was something I could not get washed out of my mouth quickly enough. Very disappointing.

12-13-2009 03:20:22 | More by kimcgolf
Shinypoptart

2.15/5  rDev -34.3%

I've always heard good things about Sam Adams Light. A lot of people say that its one of the best options in the realm of "Light Lagers". I completely disagree. From what other Sam Adams beers that I have had, their Octoberfest and Latitude 48, I have been pretty impressed. But I found Sam Adams Light quite disheartening. While their was a discernibly more malty taste to it as compared to other light lagers, it was not a pleasant maltiness. The taste comes off as a glass of tonic water with a little bit of "quality beer" poured in to top it off. While you can taste that Sam Adams used good ingredients in this offering, it just doesn't transfer to a good experience. When it comes to light lagers I would much rather have a generic BMC.

11-24-2011 07:35:46 | More by Shinypoptart
cdizinno

South Carolina

2.23/5  rDev -31.8%

A: Clear reddish-amber color with active carbonation with minimal white head and lacing.

S: Funny initial scent. Mild grain and floral aromas.

T&M: Very light bodied but highly carbonated. Malty sweetness but oily taste. Background metallic that has some taste that I cannot identify and do not like. Very watery and not a very good aftertaste at all.

Definitely not good. The only brew by Sam Adams that might be worse is the Hefe. Maybe I got a bad batch or something. I'll try to get another and update review later. Whew.

06-15-2009 01:53:48 | More by cdizinno
kelticblood

2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured a head that dissapeared within seconds to nothing.The color is an orange-red.A mild hop aroma.With a weird smell of pond water or the smell the outside after it rains.A very crisp mouthfeel with a fizzy taste.A slight hop taste with a wheaty finish.A light bodied beer with very little malt texture.The taste is really bad overall.I really cant believe Sam Adams would lower themselves in putting out a "Light" beer that tastes as bad as this.It really lowered my perception of Sam Adams.

01-11-2003 09:49:18 | More by kelticblood
Jangles

2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

Mine will also be a short review. Let me preface it by saying that I enjoy several of the Sam Adams beers.

I picked up a sixer tonight, trying to "do the right thing" and drink light beer.

This beer can best be summed up with one word.

Insipid.

That is all.

11-15-2008 09:03:22 | More by Jangles
dsa7783

2.28/5  rDev -30.3%

Had this on tap at Chili's... Not bad for $2.99 at a 16-ounce size, but definitely not my favorite lite beer... was never a big fan of Sam Adams, and the only brew from the company which ever caught my fancy was the Cream Stout... this one doesn't do it for me for a lite beer... personally would prefer a Miller or Coors, but I'm sure those in the Boston area might be a little warmer towards a home-town favorite... Drinkability was average, and the taste, which wasn't awful just wasn't too impressive... somewhat bitter which really didn't do it for me... Not recommended... Better lite beers to choose from...

12-16-2007 20:26:35 | More by dsa7783
pdgreen

Indiana

2.28/5  rDev -30.3%

Its a great light beer, that being said its still a light beer. It looks great when poured but I was dissapointed with the smell and taste. I'd drink it again if it came in a variety pack but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. Overall I wasn't impressed but I can see why some enjoy it.

08-20-2010 17:01:54 | More by pdgreen
marvin213

2.3/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

It's very light--totally translucent. The head, though it fizzles to near nothingness within a minute or two, really isn't too shabby (for a light beer). Not expecting much, I figure the head and some semblance of lacing makes this an above par look for the style.

The smell definitely ain't much, though I detect a distinct Sam Adams smell--maybe it's the two-row malt. Acknowledging I know basically nothing about noble hops, the beer certainly doesn't smell hoppy to me. For a light lager, it's got character but, at least for the odor, that Sam Adams distinctiveness is not a positive one.

Particularly for a light beer, I taste a bit more malt than I'd expect. There's undoubtedly that Sam Adams something in the taste as well. I don't want to knock it too much, but I don't really like it. The more I think about it, the more I think it's that two-row malt; if not, I maintain it's the same sorta substance I found displeasing about the smell. It's got character...but maybe I don't want character in a light lager.

It's fully carbonated--maybe overly so because the mouthfeel is really fizzy. I respect that it's homogenous--every aspect of this beer is the same with every sense you can use to experience it. It looks, smells, tastes, and feels the same throughout. Since there's that sole ingredient that seems to dominate the senses, and I don't really like it, the fizzy burst of it I get in the mouthfeel makes that the least enjoyable component of the beverage.

I bet this is a big seller, and I'm certainly not gonna knock Sam Adams just because it's readily available. I got this one in a summer variety pack, and I've enjoyed most of the beers out of that. Truth is, however, I'd prefer they leave this one out; furthermore, it's tough for me to contemplate a time when I'd pick Sam Adams Light over ANY beer. Maybe over the worst of the worst (read: Milwaukee's Best Light or King Cobra), but even then it might still be a decision.

08-22-2009 03:05:14 | More by marvin213
Mitchster

2.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Part of the Sam Adams Summer Seasonal 12 pack, because I would likely never buy this on it's own accord.

Brewed with Two-row Harrington, and Metcalfe, pale malts, and Caramel 60 and hopped with Spalt Spalter Noble hops, fermented with "Samuel Adams lager yeast" strain.
OG=9.2° Plato, 4.07%ABV - 3.2%ABW, Calories/12oz: 119.

Pours out to a clear light copper, forming a nice white head with very good retention and solid thick lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is not all that great...Definitely could use more hops in the nose, and hey...hops don't add calories, so why not? Mouthfeel is thin with a light body, although crisp and clean with a soda-pop carbonation. The taste is that of a watered down amber lager on a par with something like Michelob dark or Lowenbrau dark/St.Pauli Girl, etc, but I would actually rather drink those than this as the yeast has a peculiar adjuncty flavor. They would be better off fermenting this with an ale yeast and dry hopping this if they wanted a flavorful light beer.

Not interesting.

06-17-2011 22:16:53 | More by Mitchster
Bcant

2.33/5  rDev -28.7%

It pours with decient head which goes down in seconds. It is amber in color but lacks richness. Faint smell of hopps followed by a watery taste that is common to American lagers that are produced in mass quantity. The finish is the worst part of the beer, intruducing flavors that I am conviced are derived from rice or corn insead of malts and hopps.

02-03-2003 17:39:10 | More by Bcant
WetCoaster

2.33/5  rDev -28.7%

Appearance: A moderate pour produces a thin, white, wafer-thin foam that disappears quickly and completely. Beer is a deep golden bronze, much more attractive than your average light.

Smell: Starts with a slightly flowery hop aroma with a bit of green apple yeast. This ends almost immediately and fades into bland nothingness.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Eh, nothing special. Mouthfeel is your standard macro light and fizzy foam. Taste starts a with a hint of sweet malt that soon vanishes, leaving behind a bland cardboard/metallic tang. Finishes bitter with a very mild hop bite. If I hadn't had this brew on a half-dozen occasions, I'd swear it was stale.

Drinkability/Notes: Sure, it's light, but it's just not flavorful enough to warrant a repeat, IMHO. While I have been greatly impressed with the quality and consistency of Sam Adams products, this, I'm afraid, is mediocre even for a light beer. I'll pass.

12-03-2003 07:04:12 | More by WetCoaster
Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)