Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros

It is a decent light beer. It stays true to Sam Adams the original. There are a lot of beers that the light version tastes nothing like the original this not that beer. It seems to be just that a watered down version of the original. The mouthfeel is thinner. The reddish amber is just a little lighter as with the flavor except the flavor of hops. They stayed the same. Except the flavor of hops the stayed about the same. It is what is supposed to be.

MTNboy, Jan 07, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +25.2%

Samuel Adams Light is an exceptional "light" beer. This brew hardly belongs in the light beer category. This is a surprisingly flavorful and refreshing beer if you haven't had the pleasure of enjoying a bottle of it (I've yet to find it on tap).

Cubsfan1087, Dec 31, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -8.6%

For a light beer, this has to be one of the best. No doubt.

L - clear amber with almost no head

S - faint hops

T - crisp with a slight backdrop of hops

M - carbonated and easy

D - not high when compared to other light beers, but very high for any other beer

WWWade, Dec 31, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +27.3%

This beer is amazing for a light beer. I tried to score it as compared to other light beers and I am definitely not a light beer fan. Compared to my favorite IPA style - well you can't it isn't fair. I will say it has more real beer flavor that regular Bud, Coors etc. It looks real, tastes real and smells real. Most light beers are more akin to club soda than beer. It will never be on my favorite list, but when trying to go light it is a winner.

HerrBob, Dec 30, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -34%

Sam Adams beers are generally decent, but I must have either gotten a skunked one, or this beer just really sucks. Nose was grainy, taste was like wet burlap, and the finish was something I could not get washed out of my mouth quickly enough. Very disappointing.

kimcgolf, Dec 13, 2009
3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a small head. Smell is mild, some malts. Taste is crisp with malts, actually some flavor here. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall I found myself saying "this is a light beer? ". For this beer style, this one is darn good.

tone77, Dec 07, 2009

Best by date on the bottle says Jan 2010

Aroma - Aromatic hops and a definite malt sweetness that means good things for this beer.

Appearance - Darkest amber light beer I've ever seen. Poured with an off white head that maintained a thin film head for most of the drinking experience.

Taste - Creamy and neither overly sweet or bitter. Actually this beer is almost all malt. A bready malt quality is in there and just a subdued amount of hops. The finish is more dry than the crisp tahn you might expect from a light beer.

Notes - This is in no way what anyone thinks is a light beer. Sure at only 119 calories that might make it lighter. At 4% this beer was made to session. Just a good beer in my book. Might as well have another while I'm at it.

jwhawkins81, Nov 19, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -4%

APPEARANCE:
12 ounce bottle with enjoy by date of October 2009. Pours a clear amber color with a medium white head. No noticeable lacing.
AROMA:
Light aroma of toasted malt and hint of earthy hops.
FLAVOR:
Light toasted malt and hint of grain and spicy hops. No corn flavors. Definitely more flavor than most light beers but nothing exciting.
MOUTHFEEL:
Light body with crisp mouthfeel. Lively carbonation. Finishes dry due to carbonation.
DRINKABILITY:
Easy drinking and relatively flavorful light beer.
NOTES: BJCP Light American Lager

seanbhudson, Oct 19, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance:
Golden yet thin. Perhaps a bit darker than a standard macro lager. Thin wispy head which holds up ok.

Smell:
Very light malt with a hint of hops.

Taste:
Ok, considering the style (though not very light on the calories in comparison) this can actually be called a beer. The flavor is light and crisp with a little bitterness to follow. Not too bad.

Mouthfeel:
Again, considering the style, you can only pack so much density into a "light" beer. Lets call it decent for a light but still light.

Drinkability:
I'd have no problem with pouring out a few of these and could do so guiltlessly (not that there is usually a problem...).

Comment:
There is a tie between this and Michelob Amber Ultra for my favorite light beer. Both still have a hint of flavor and far exceed any of the other macro lights (lites).

CRichardsMN, Oct 10, 2009

I am reviewing this beer completely with its style in mind, as I feel it is one of the only light lagers out there with any real flavor, albeit not a whole lot.
The smell and taste make it seem like this is a mini version of BBC's flagship Boston Lager. Some hoppiness floating around.
The mouthfeel is light and crisp, not too shabby.
I could drink quite a few of these, but this is far from my favorite style.

grayburn, Oct 08, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -14.1%

A: A nice clear dark amber with about 1 1/2 fingers of cream head that dissipated quickly.

S: Sweet malts with some citrus and fruity esters. A slight burnt date flavor also accompanies.

T: Largely malty character with some fig and prune overtones and a slight honey character. However, the flavor dissipates too quickly and dribbles off into wateriness before it can be fully appreciated.

M: Very watery and thin body with medium carbonation.

D: Not bad for a light beer, but doesn't hold its own against the regulars offered by Sam Adams.

thekanna, Oct 07, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +30.4%

When poured , gave a beautiful golden color, with a nice white frothy top, that did not cling to the glass. It smelled to me like a Sam Adams beer(to me they seem to all smell fairly similar). A very smooth drink from begining to end. I also found barely any after taste. I really enjoyed this beer, and would recommend to any light beer drinker.

jngle24, Sep 29, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -13.2%

Bottle to glass. Honey color, head faded pretty quickly. Smell was Ok, very light malt and citrus. Taste was very lean, not much going on. Got some malt after it warmed to about 60-65 F. Thought this might be a good beer to just keep around when I wanted something on the light side but not really feeling this one.

kpoole25, Sep 29, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

This beer pours a clean amber/copper color with about two fingers worth of foamy white head. not much lacing.

Light malty smell with a slightly fruity hint mixed in. You can barely detect the hops

Very malty for a light beer, not a tremendous amount of character, but not overly boring either. a little too fizzy for my taste, must be carbonated a bit too much.

Not exactly my favorite offering by Boston Beer Company, but not horrible either...

If I were to turn to drinking Light Beers (which I cannot imagine) this would be a decent choice.

CBlack85, Sep 27, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +47.2%

This beer poured a very clear bright yellow. The head Served as a bright golden colored beer with moderate white puffy head. The aroma was good balance of hops and malt, with the slightest touch of citrus note.

The flavor was excellent with a nice and well balanced complex blend of malt and hops. The mouthfeel was light with good carbonation. This is a very decent and enjoyable beer considering it is a form of a light beer and when I decide to stock some light beer for guests this would be it. Of course, I don't routinely drink light beers. All in all, this is a good beer to try.

Kahalo, Sep 19, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Clear, sparking copper color, with a thin white head. Nicely carbonated. Minimal malty aroma. Taste is light and clean; maltier than other light beers I've tried. Got a little hint of hops, although certainly nothing powerful. Almost no aftertaste, and very easy drinking. A nice option when watching your calories.

medic25, Sep 07, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured into a pub glass

A: Light amber in color, off-white head that quickly dissipates to a thin, whispy head leaving minimal lacing.

S: Malty grains, faint hops

T: Mildly malty, very mild hop bitterness...

M: Very light and crisp

D: As soon as I poured this, I was impressed with the color. Incredibly colorful for a light beer. If light beer is your thing, which for me it is not, then this would be a caseworthy choice.

ujsplace, Aug 28, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +20.6%

A - Copper body with allot of carbonation topped by a frothy pale tan head. This is the best looking light beer I've ever seen.

S - Apricot and malt.

T - Mild malt flavor with a hint of brown sugar.

M - The brew goes down relatively smooth with a hint of coarse texture at the very beginning and the end.

~ Again, for a light beer this good. I certainly recommend this brew to all interested in finally trying a light beer that's worth the time and money.

cdkrenz, Aug 26, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

It's very light--totally translucent. The head, though it fizzles to near nothingness within a minute or two, really isn't too shabby (for a light beer). Not expecting much, I figure the head and some semblance of lacing makes this an above par look for the style.

The smell definitely ain't much, though I detect a distinct Sam Adams smell--maybe it's the two-row malt. Acknowledging I know basically nothing about noble hops, the beer certainly doesn't smell hoppy to me. For a light lager, it's got character but, at least for the odor, that Sam Adams distinctiveness is not a positive one.

Particularly for a light beer, I taste a bit more malt than I'd expect. There's undoubtedly that Sam Adams something in the taste as well. I don't want to knock it too much, but I don't really like it. The more I think about it, the more I think it's that two-row malt; if not, I maintain it's the same sorta substance I found displeasing about the smell. It's got character...but maybe I don't want character in a light lager.

It's fully carbonated--maybe overly so because the mouthfeel is really fizzy. I respect that it's homogenous--every aspect of this beer is the same with every sense you can use to experience it. It looks, smells, tastes, and feels the same throughout. Since there's that sole ingredient that seems to dominate the senses, and I don't really like it, the fizzy burst of it I get in the mouthfeel makes that the least enjoyable component of the beverage.

I bet this is a big seller, and I'm certainly not gonna knock Sam Adams just because it's readily available. I got this one in a summer variety pack, and I've enjoyed most of the beers out of that. Truth is, however, I'd prefer they leave this one out; furthermore, it's tough for me to contemplate a time when I'd pick Sam Adams Light over ANY beer. Maybe over the worst of the worst (read: Milwaukee's Best Light or King Cobra), but even then it might still be a decision.

marvin213, Aug 22, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a clear, dark golden color with a decent cap of off-white foam. Retention is a bit above average for a light lager and there is no lace left on the glass.

The nose is dominated and lopsidedly sweet caramel malts. Has a distinctive Sam Adams aroma that is fairly similar to the Boston Lager but a bit sweeter and far less hoppy.

Flavor is very light and delicate, but tasty. Toasty and caramel malts are followed up by a very mild floral hop bitterness and flavor. To me this is like a light amber lager. It is pretty good for a lower calorie beer and would make a fine choice for converting some BMC friends.

twiggamortis420, Aug 22, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Pours a light copper color with a thick white foam head that clings to the edges leaving nice rings.

S- Hints of biscuit and grain with some floral and spicy scents.

T- A tiny amount of hop bitterness initially that gives way to some toasted grain and a touch of malt sweetness. Not overwhelming.

M- Light bodied with adequate carbonation. Crisp but a bit thin.

D- This is a great "light" beer but just an ok beer overall.

projectflam86, Aug 20, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a nice dark orangish amber with a small white head that fades fast. The smell is not very strong, some hops and malt there, sweet notes, underwhelming, but pleasant. The taste starts somewhat sweet with a malty flavor, finishes with smaller doughy notes, could use a bigger hop kick. The mouthfeel is light, highly carbonated, crisp but missing some balance. This is an easy drinker, not much flavor but still enjoyable. I can see why this is a better light beer option.

wingman14, Aug 20, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +16%

wow. deep dark color for a 'light' beer...

malty sour nose notes...

taste is malty, grain-sweet (tho understated). mouthfeel is rich and in no way thin. makes me wish this was lightly dryhopped a bit for a flavor burst and increased chewiness...

quite drinkable on a humid summer night. as i continue to drink it, it reminds me of something else...

strange. the world of light beers are largely a massive oxymoronic reality...i think this and yuengling lager light are the most interesting semi-macro lights out there. this is sweeter than the big Y

mempath, Aug 19, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Picked up at a family function.

A: Clear amber color with very active carbonation. Foamy off-white head is small and has average retention. Leaves bits of lace.

S: Sweet, with aromas of toffee, caramel and lemon.

T: Mild flavor comes across to me like a 3/4 power BL. Not as sweet as the nose would indicate. Malt has toffee and toasted qualities. Nicely balanced bitterness is provided by lemon and a hint of pepper. Semi-dry finish with a mild lingering bitterness.

M: The light body feels a bit over carbonated.

D: As light beer goes, this is about as a good as it gets. Its flavor is leagues beyond the watery mainstays of this style. If I had to drink a Light beer, this would be my only pick.

Rayek, Aug 17, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +18.1%

Wow, this is a light beer? Color is darker with a light amber color than any light that I have had.
Pours a white head that has average retention with average lace.
Slight malty aroma of sweet breads and some toastiness and some distant orange peel.
Light and crisp, superb for a light beer.
Rated as much as posible within its style as a LIGHT beer, and being that I think this is superior to most "lights" pushes its score up some as oppossed to be rated as a beer that isnn't light.

jadpsu, Aug 14, 2009
Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)