2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Ratings: 1,820 | Reviews: 814 | Show All Ratings:
Rifugium

2.48/5  rDev -24.2%

First had: on tap at Keswick Tavern, Glenside, PA

It's a light beer, but it's Sam Adams, so it's still somewhat okay. Poured a clear, golden brown with a finger or two of white head that receded rather quickly to a thin layer of bubbles. Pale malts in the aroma with trace scents of caramel and toasty bread. More of the same in the taste: pale malts, lightly toasted, very subdued hoppiness, though it's still present, light caramel. A bit watered down--this is a light beer--light bodied, yet still decently flavorful for the style. Drinkable, I suppose, if you're on a diet.

06-15-2011 13:49:12 | More by Rifugium
BeerLover99

3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

A: deep orange/amber body, 2 finger head, decent lacing

S: mild malt, hint of citrus

T: sweet malt body, mild toasted, slight roasted finish

M: light/med body, firm carbonation, hint of dry finish

D: Dare I say it, this is one of my favorite "light beers".
Great session beer and fine gateway brew.

PRETTY GOOD, IN A PINCH!

05-22-2011 01:42:05 | More by BeerLover99
spartanbj

4.1/5  rDev +25.4%

I absolutely love this beer. I hate the commercial light beers like Bud Light, Miller and Coors but I want to drink a flavorful light beer to save a few calories.

SAL fits the bill perfectly. It is great for sipping during dinner or guzzling with the guys during the games.

I stock this one in my fridge along with Peanut Butter and Jelly.

01-21-2010 15:46:41 | More by spartanbj
santomark

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Nice foam and pours an amber color.

S: smells of light hops and hints of spices.

T: lightly flavored hops, and barley. At times its a bit carbonated, makes me feel like I'm drinking a soda; but it tastes more pure than a lot of other light beers I've had.

M: Its a bit above average, the only thing holding it back is the carbonation.

D: This is drinkable simply because its a simple beer. Its a good beer that pairs well with a lot of foods.

This beer is my safety-net beer.

07-01-2009 08:32:28 | More by santomark
orcasteve

sam light is a nice malteym light that is impersivaly bold in flavor for a light beer

it is hot and humed hear today and i hade a couple of them that my cousan gave me, i usaly like a beer that is extream with flavor, this beer was thirst quenching, it poored real nice, with just the right amount of head and keept me wanting more, this is a great beer for the dog days of summer

06-29-2008 17:18:33 | More by orcasteve
dsa7783

2.28/5  rDev -30.3%

Had this on tap at Chili's... Not bad for $2.99 at a 16-ounce size, but definitely not my favorite lite beer... was never a big fan of Sam Adams, and the only brew from the company which ever caught my fancy was the Cream Stout... this one doesn't do it for me for a lite beer... personally would prefer a Miller or Coors, but I'm sure those in the Boston area might be a little warmer towards a home-town favorite... Drinkability was average, and the taste, which wasn't awful just wasn't too impressive... somewhat bitter which really didn't do it for me... Not recommended... Better lite beers to choose from...

12-16-2007 20:26:35 | More by dsa7783
Floydster

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Pint from Bad Dog Ale House in El Segundo

Pour was an almost see through golden color with no real head

Smell was nothing at really, maybe a little yeast

Tasted very nice for a light beer with a strong flavor at the end

Could drink several of these because it is about as light as a Michelob Ultra as far as ultra light brews go

09-21-2007 03:37:35 | More by Floydster
ghostmech007

3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

On-tap at Charlie Waterfront Cafe.

Amber color with a thin but sticky white lace. Carbonation is very active.

Smells of grain and malts.

Very light on the tongue. Malty sweetness with grain notes and a smooth creamy palate. Background metallic caramel flavors. Hops finish it with a mild grain flavor. Not bad for a "light beer".

Not something I that would buy normally. I mean it really isn't a light beer, and I really don't buy light beers. But it still is very enjoyable.

08-04-2007 18:29:29 | More by ghostmech007
Homebrew63

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

I was surprised by this light beer from the Sam Adams company. It actually is not a bad light as others I have tatsed. It poured with good color and very minimal lacing (which is surprising) and malty nose. it had an almost clensing mouth feel and finished crisp. Not a bad beer to mow the lawn to as it does taste better than the mass produced light beer swill.

02-01-2007 02:22:04 | More by Homebrew63
Mebuzzard

Colorado

3.1/5  rDev -5.2%

A light yellow color with light brown undertones. Head was small, but visible.
Didn't smell much of anything, but I was at a smokey bar.
Taste had bits of dill, malt and lemon. Not too bad for a light beer. Clean finish, dry and smooth
Very drinkable if you want to drink a lot.

02-05-2006 04:11:06 | More by Mebuzzard
Frozensoul327

2.7/5  rDev -17.4%

I like many of Sam Adams beers... this, however is not one of them. Presented itself quite well, with a decent darker golden color with a head that was respectable. Odors of malt and hops were present, as was an odd earthy scent that I was not familiar with. Smelled like sulfur went on a date with pinesap, and this was the bastard child. Odd lingering smell. Taste was by far a let down. I've had macros with more palatable flavor. Notes of hops were detected, but it totally lacked any complexity once so ever ( this is a light beer, so I had low expectations, but this brew didn't even meet those). Finished with a touch of malt on the aftertaste and notes of corn. I'd drink it again, but I certainly wouldn't be excited about it. Worth a try.

06-16-2005 00:46:35 | More by Frozensoul327
stegmakk

2.38/5  rDev -27.2%

I had to try SA version of light beer.
At first sight this was a nice light copper color with very little head that went away quick. Looks alot better than other light beers.

Then I tasted it. Does not taste watery like other light beers, but does not taste like any other BBC beers. I caught a hint of floral and a little metallic flavors mixed in with the slightly sweet malty taste. It had a better mouthfeel than any other light beers, but it still was not enough to get over the taste.

Better than drinking watery light beers...but id rather take the extra calories and have a Boston Lager.

12-05-2002 13:28:50 | More by stegmakk
nota

2.91/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

When I first drank this beer (2003) back when I first discovered craft beer, I thought it to be an excellent light beer, but also a good beer all on its own without the "light" label. I was looking for a low alcohol session beer and thought to give SA Light a try again. This time around I was disappointed. It looks great with its amber color and thick head. To me it leaves a hard water dry aftertaste. That is all I seem to get from its flavor profile. For what I got and for what I paid ($9.19 a six-pack) I won't be purchasing this beer again. This is the first SA beer that I can say I did not care for.

03-15-2014 16:21:19 | More by nota
Scott17taylor

Iowa

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Has good malty flavor. Very malt forward a little watery but for a light beer it has a ton of flavor. It tastes a lot like a Boston lager just a little weaker. I would recommend a beer like this to anyone coming for a BMc background. It is very good overall but for a light beer it is world class.

02-08-2014 06:05:39 | More by Scott17taylor
RingoBro

3.34/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a Samuel Adams pint glass.

A - Amber, golden color with minimum head and no lacing.

S - light malt.

T - light Carmel malt taste

M -light body medium carbonation

Overall, a great choice if you're looking for a light alternative.

01-11-2014 21:03:09 | More by RingoBro
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

3.98/5  rDev +21.7%

Sampled last night on 1/9/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a light amber in color with almost a 1-finger head with a white head at first which settles down to a thin head. Much darker in color than other "Light" beers. Some spotty lacing was seen which each sip. The aroma is of pale malts but that's about it. The taste was the same but didn't have a bitter or unpleasant aftertaste. Carbonation was slightly above average as is most light beers but not bad at all.

01-10-2014 23:44:42 | More by BeerWithMike
jucifer1818

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

appearance: This beer actually has some color to it. A very light amber coloration distinguishes itself from its other light brethen, with no real head forming in my glass. Might had been my extra careful pour. Overall not bad. 4\5

aroma: Their really isn't anything here that I like. It really just smells like your typical light lagger, with maybe some kind of odd hoping, but I cant place it. Even so, I really don't care for it. I was kinda hoping for a nice load of hop aroma. 1.5\5

taste: moment of truth...and...you know what, its really not that bad at all! Extremely neutral, light, with few flavors backing it up. Very grainy malt body dominates the flavor. The Trader Joes pilsner had far more hop characters to it, but then again, this is a light beer. Its not suppose to have a lot of hop character. Compared to Bud light, or platinum, seriously, I give this one a 4\5

mouthfeel: light with a heavy dose of carbonation, making it very spritzy and covering its very light body. 4\5

overall: This beer really was not made for me, but I'll be honest, I don't hate it. Id be happy drinking it for free at a friends house or at a party. Its easy to consume, and is not offensive at the least, and does count as a light lagger. That's impressive, as to make a light lagger inoffensive is damn hard. After drinking the entire glass, my final rating is... a 3.75\5.

Its not bad at all. I cant say that I like its aftertaste very much at all, but overall, the beer really is ok...especially for anyone who wants to indulge the fantasy of a “diet beer”.

12-29-2013 03:39:55 | More by jucifer1818
metter98

3.28/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: the beer is clear light amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high off white head that died down but consistently left a short head covering the surface.
S: Light aromas of pale and adjunct malts are present in the nose along with hints of fruity yeast.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and also has faint hints of caramel malts.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is pretty good compared to the other light lagers that I tried as it seems a little maltier and less watery.

12-23-2013 00:29:58 | More by metter98
mfnmbvp

3.83/5  rDev +17.1%

12 oz. bottle, with the label notched at best by December 2013, so it looks like I'm just in time. The local beer store is selling cases of this stuff for $8.99. My bottle lists a 4.30% abv rather than the 4.00% abv listed here. Expectations are pretty good.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a nice light coppery orange colored body with some good clarity. About a finger and a half to two fingers of fluffy khaki foam. Good lacing.

S - Smell is of crisp toasted malt, fresh earthy hops, and some fruitiness reminiscent of peaches / apricot.

T - Taste is surprisingly full-flavored, especially when we consider what would normally constitute as a "light" beer in today's world of horrible adjunct lagers. Crisp grain & malts balanced nicely with dank earthy and fruity / floral hoppiness.

M - Feel is crisp, malty, light, and even refreshing. Full-bodied, considering this is listed as a light lager, with good carbonation.

Overall, an excellent full-flavored beer, pretty much a spot on toned down replica of Samuel Adams Boston Lager, with a lower abv. Definitely one of the better beers I've tried from Samuel Adams lately. Light, sessionable, and refreshing, I will definitely be buying more of this.

Sam Adams Light ---4/5.

12-14-2013 18:30:07 | More by mfnmbvp
Uniobrew31

2.99/5  rDev -8.6%

This beer is a real heart breaker. I thought it would be more flavorful but it really isnt much better than any other light beer. It looked like a decent beer when poured. Not much on the nose and the taste was pure watered down light beer. I didnt buy it again simply because the beer store has other light beers that are cheaper and basically taste the same. Nice try though SA but to sell it the price needs to be closer to that of an AALL

11-05-2013 20:01:20 | More by Uniobrew31
Theheroguy

Maryland

3.84/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer is clearly head and shoulders above the light beer competition. Some claim that this isn't a light beer at 119 calories but remember that bud light is 110. This is clearly a different brew than Boston lager. Something for which I commend the Boston beer company.

This is a good beer, a very good light beer. Still it leaves something to be desired on the malt end of the flavor spectrum (Hey the calories had to come from somewhere). The hops are very noticeable but not overpowering. I would recommend that if you're interested you try this beer because I think you'll like it.

08-03-2013 22:47:44 | More by Theheroguy
DeFaz

4.08/5  rDev +24.8%

While I would normally stay away from lighter versions of original lagers, this manages to be a bit thinner without being a light beer in the same context as Bud Light, Miller Lite, etc. It's really not all that light, and while the ABV is quite low, it does not lose sight of the hop flavor one bit and still manages to be a nicely balanced beer just like the original. If you're looking for a session beer, or just don't want a beer that's so heavy, you really can't go wrong with this one.

07-16-2013 00:17:31 | More by DeFaz
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.58/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle dated January (2014?). Sampled on July 13, 2013.

The color is a nice looking light to medium amber with a full head that settles down after a couple minutes.

The aroma does have a hint of pale caramel malts, yeast, and clean hops. A little more vibrant than most light lagers.

The body is light.

The taste is remarkably full for a light lager with a decent sweetness and slightly dry finish. As far as lights go this is quite nice.

07-13-2013 23:16:33 | More by puboflyons
Jeffreysan

Maryland

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle, poured into a Samuel Adams pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful golden amber color with a quarter of a finger of white-head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that almost completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very bready, with lots of malt and some yeast. Very surprising however, is how much clove there is in the aroma.

Taste: However, the flavor of the beer doesn’t match up to the surprising aroma. I get some faint malt and very faint hops, but not much else. Actually, it’s pretty flat in flavor but then again, it is a light beer, and it certainly, definitely, absolutely has much more flavor than the MBC light beers, just a lot less than I was expecting from a Samuel Adams beer.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied, with some ok carbonation.

Overall: I have to confess that I abhor light beers in general, because they have almost no beer flavor (or flavor at all, I’m looking at you MBC!!!). I personally believe that light beers are beers for people who care more about their appearance than they do their beer and/or don’t like the flavor of beer and therefore drink the light beers because they have practically no flavor. That being said, Samuel Adams’ Light beer was pretty good. It had some beer flavor, not as much as I think that it should, but some, and it sure as hell didn’t look like a glass of urine like all of the other major light beers do.

07-10-2013 22:07:22 | More by Jeffreysan
jimmah120

3.99/5  rDev +22%

12oz bottle labeled best by october 2013. poured into a snifter for the goof (and for appearance.)

Look is a fantastic clear amber/orange with a small smattering of a head. One of the best looking light beers there is. Smell is wheat corn/grain and hops. Creamy light feel, roasted malts, english hops. this is clearly a small beer version of their boston lager, minor tweaks aside.

As far as light beers go, this kicks ass.

07-06-2013 22:34:26 | More by jimmah120
Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)