Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros
3.42/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Geez, I'm kinda hard pressed to admit it, but this is an elite light beer. Really looks good, like an amber lager.

Taste, there is taste here people! Most malt and hop feel in anything this side of Sprecher's diet beer. I guess if this is the route you need to go, SA is highly recommended.

Appearance: golden brown in color, clear, high carbonation, 1/3 inch head

Smell: honey, sugar, and toasted malt

Taste: toasted malt, honey, grass, and small sugar and hops in the background

Mouthfeel: light bodied, high carbonation, sweeter than I would expect with a slightly bitter back bone

Drinkability: Very good for the style and one of my favorites in the style. This does have elements of the taste I associate with Sam Adams. That being said, I am likely to go to other beer styles first and would pass it over if it were not in the variety pack.

The beer has a nice amber orange color to it. also has a nice white head about 1" then disapears to a really thin white lace. A nice malty smell. It has a very nice malty taste at first then a little hop flavor on the back of the tongue. I would say it is very drinkable, and would take it over most light beers.

3.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Standard brown bottle with a brewery freshness date of August poured into a SA perfect pint glass. Sam Adams light appears a clear light orange color with about a finger of head that is composed mostly of bubbles that rise to the surface from the etching in the bottom of the sensory glass. The aroma has a very light grainy sweetness and a touch of hops. Taste includes the grainy sweetness upfront as indicated by the aroma and through the medium light body has a slight bitterness in the finish. Moderate level of carbonation and a slightly noticable alcohol character in the back of the throat for only 4%. There is a lingering presence of light levels of diacetyl mixed with the grain left in the mouth after each sip tasting quite buttery. Overall not bad, I guess if I was forced into drinking a light lager this would be the one to have.

3.55/5  rDev +8.9%

Single bottle (best by Nov 2010) poured into a shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Clear orange-yellow amber color. Poured a 1/4" thick white foam that died down to just a ring around the edge. No lacing.

Smell: Very faint fruit-like malt with a hint of citrus. Nice.

Taste: Hmmm...how do I describe this one? A combination of malt and metallic-bitter finish that says lager. It's a bit grainy, but it's a solid lager. No matter how many times I sip or swig it - my brain is consistently saying lager beer an I can't tease out much else.

Mouthfeel: Plenty of carbonation - but not so much as to kill all the flavors. Nothing special otherwise.

Drinkability: For a light beer I'll give it this - it's very drinkable, it quenches the thirst well, and it went very well with Chinese food. I'm rather impressed for a light beer - I can see why it is the highest rated one and I would not hesitate to reach for it if I had to pick a light beer.

4.43/5  rDev +35.9%

A: Clean, clear amber color. If you poured this from a non-labeled bottle, you wouldn't know it was a light beer. Very impressive. Pretty good sized head that fades before too long, doesn't leave behind too much lacing.

S: Floral hops and slight caramel malts are present. Much more so than in other light beers.

T: For a light beer, amazing. Hops and malt with floral notes in the background. Much better than other light beers.

M: For a light beer, this is full bodied. Very impressive.

D: Drinkability is perfect. Very easy to drink a few.

If you're been searching for a light beer that you can actually taste, then Sam Adams Light is the way to go. Cheers!

3.33/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Pours a orangish yellow with a white foaming head. Retention time is roughly a minute. This has a better appearance than other light beers.

S- Hoppy, grainy, malts, a little bitterness. Average smell.

T- A rather crisp taste with a hint of malts. You can tell there is some wateriness because this is a light beer after all, but the taste is great compared to other light beers.

M- Some carbonation and a little irritation. Average in this category.

D- Yes, drinkable. I definitely could drink a few of these at once.

Initially, I was a little hesitant about trying this beer because I am not a big fan of light beer. But because this is from the Boston Beer Company, I decided to give it a whirl. Boy, I am glad I did. Overall, a nice brew, much better than any other light beer I have ever tasted. I would consider this the "King of Light Beers." I would definitely have another one.

3.45/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A: One finger head retreats into a thin white line on top. Body is a typical Boston Lager color. Does not look at all like a light beer,

S: Extra weak aroma, barely any hop or malt profile.

T/M: A crisp, bland taste that is expected by a light beer on the front. With a nice finish of malt cream taste, this brew does stray away from others and hit some non-light beer notes. A slight zing taste that hits the bottom notes the whole way through.

D: The overall drinkablity of this beer is high, easy to drink and is not heavy. Would I buy this> no. A nice beer to try, but not one I would get,> I typically do not get light beers. But this one did have a high flavor content for a light beer. If you are in search of a light beer this is the one.

3.75/5  rDev +15%

Cloudy pale tan color. Nothing too special. Not much head but wasn't really expected.

Smelled very mildly of hops and grains.

Slightly hoppy taste if you look for it but otherwise pretty mellow. Keeping in consideration it was a light beer it was pretty good.

Very light feel in the mouth. Slightly watery almost.

Very drinkable for a light beer however. I usually dislike light beers but I could sip on this one for a night or two.

Not dissapointed but deffinatly not the best by Sam Adams.

4.06/5  rDev +24.5%

Rating this for what it is as a "light" and not across all styles helps it out quite a bit, but in any case it's actually a solid beer all around on the grand scheme of things. Without taking style into account, I would still probably give it a solid 3.0.

A: Looks like a real beer? The Orange-Amber color is a refreshing departure from the usual spirit-draining straw color of the other readily available Light offerings.

S: Well... It is a light beer. I don't smell much, but that's about par for the course.

T: Mild malt sweetness with a dry finish.Tasty, but with little hops

M: Good, less watery than this Light beer's short-bus riding cousins.

D: This is a beer that just makes me happy that someone made it. Infinitely more drinkable than your typical "lite" in that it's interesting enough to want more than one of.

3.4/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle.

Pours a clear amber color. Very tiny head that is hardly worth noting.

Very light malty aroma with some faint grain. A faint hop aroma is present too.

Taste is a bit malty, some very mild hop flavor also. There is a little bit of hoppy aftertaste. Slightly watery, not as much as other lights though. There is not a whole lot of body. Mouthfeel is decent and drinkability is good.

Overall it's not bad. Certainly not typical of most light beers. This is probably the only light beer I have had that I would have again if offered.

3.95/5  rDev +21.2%

Review from notes taken a few hours ago when I poured it from a bottle into a clean, clear pint glass at LongHorn's Steakhouse in Mentor, Ohio at a price of $3.99. "For brewery fresh taste enjoy by the month marked on the label" indicated "APR" as the month. Not sure which year, unfortunately.

A Very light brown creamy but minimal head over a translucent brown body. A little bit better than average. 3.5

S Well, a light smelling medium roast malt with minimal to no hops to the nose. Again, slightly better than average. 3.5

T Medium roast malt and minimal hops but all of it in a muted, "light" form. That being said, this is one of the better light beers that I have tasted. 4.0

M A pretty smooth and full feel for a light beer. 4.0

D Very, very good (and part of the point I am sure) 4.5

3.13/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a standard pint glass. beer is amber and clear. Forms a big head of medium bubbles after a hard pour. Carbonation seems low and the head leaves some lacing on the glass. Looks OK.

Aroma is slightly sweet but overall really weak. Some malt.

Beer is thin and a little watery with a grainy aftertaste. Its mildly sweet on the front but overall its a little muted. I guess its a pretty good LIGHT LAGER but its not a very palatable beer. I'd rather be drinking almost any pilsner to this. What a shame.

3.4/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Orange in color, high in clarity, with a very thin head.

S: Smells mostly malty, with roasted and brown sugar aromas.

T: Much thinner taste then smell. A gentle sweet beginning, mostly brown sugar, fades to an orange citrus bite.

M: Fairly thin in body, with a lot of carbonation.

D: Not the most flavorful beer, but hey, it's a light beer. It is watery compared to Boston Lager, but a whole lot better than any other light beer I've had. It's refreshing and enjoyable and I'm sure we'll cross paths again.

3.73/5  rDev +14.4%

A- Light Lager? huh? regardless, it's not a bad looking lager. kind of a tawny color. light brown.
S- Smell is malty, a bit floral, yet retains that metallic smell so often found in light beers. Not even SA can get rid of that...
T- Malty sweet intro, followed by a metallic twinge on the tongue and just a hint of hops.
M- light, but rather crisp carbonation.
D- If we are to truly call this a light lager, yeah it's at the top of the category. This isn't a beer I am all that crazy about, but it this beer is something like the world thinnest fat person. As a light lager, yeah it's awesome. In the broad scope of beer? I'll pass on it.

4.18/5  rDev +28.2%

Came in the summer seasonal mix. Pours a lighter, iced-tea amber. One finger of white head, little retention and no lacing. A lot of carbonation.

Malt and grain aromas in the nose, light hops, some metallic smell. I've noticed the metal in a lot of light beers; maybe it's a light beer thing. Looks like a real beer, so that's huge.

Light malt and a moderate amount of biscuit up front. Very active carbonation and a light body would make this a good summer beer. Light caramel or toffee on the back end, tiny hop nip, crisp, clean finish. Tastes as little like a light beer as is possible in this universe without changing the laws of physics.

I've met regular beers with less flavor. The best light beer I have ever had by a lage margin; at least twice as good as, say, a Bud Light. The score gives a big nod to the category--if this wasn't a light beer I'd be fairly underwhelmed and give it a C.

I am not a light beer drinker but I'd tolerate having to stick to these if it was what was on offer.

Came in my sampler pack as well. Heres we goes!

Appearance- For a light beer quite pretty to look at. The darkest light beer of my knowledge. Decent head retention for a light beer too. Spotty lacing.

Smell- Nice light malt character with some hop and metallic elements in the back. Definitely doesn't smell like cheap adjunct.

Taste- CRISP and clean. Very refreshing and plenty of flavor to make this light beer stick out immensely over it's BMC counterparts. One of the best tasting Lights I have had so far. Some sweet caramelly tones make this a nice change to fizzy adjunct.

Mouthfeel- It still feels like a light beer but it does have some grainy body to pump up the texture a bit. Light watery feel which is ok for a light and crisp bitey carbonation is what still makes this beer stand in the light category but it packs alot of taste despite it's obvious limitations.

Drinkability- I could drink a kegs worth no problem LOL. It is very easy to drink for mass consumption. I only have two of these so the other one will probably be saved to drink tomorrow when it is even hotter out.

3.64/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Light brown with a small white head

S- Some malts, a bit of citrus in there as well

T- Malts, smooth light, and the citrus hops come in the end as well as the aftertaste

M- Light bodied with good carbonation

D- Great, will return to this one! I was leery as it is a light beer, but it had a better mouthfeel than most light beers I've experienced

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Served in a Sam Adams sensory pint glass.

I wanted the Latitude 48, so I had to get the whole Summer Styles box. Oh well, I guess I'll suck it up and drink the extraneous bottles. Tee hee. This one pours a clear pale straw, tending toward more of an amber in the bulb, topped by about a finger of white micro-foam. The nose comprises light wheat, light corn, puffed rice, and some very faint hop florals. The taste holds notes of caramel, light toffee, a mild bitterness, and a vague extra bolt of sweetness (which is rather short-lived). Honestly, not as bad as I imagined. The body is light (...do I even need to say it here?...), with an active carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, a pretty solidly decent light beer...a first for me, for sure.

3.08/5  rDev -5.5%

[Appearance]: Light honey amber color, very clear, some little bubbles, no head, no lacing. But the color looks nice for a light beer, so I give that a credit.
[Smell]: Clean malts, semi-floral hops, dash of fruity.
[Taste]: Clean cereal malts, very light floral hops, I could detect some fruity (peach like), clean finish at the end.
[Mouthfeel]: Light on the body (but thicker than most light beer I had), carbonation is moderate, finish is clean and slightly dry.
[Drinkability]: Fairly good, but doesn't impress me.

3.46/5  rDev +6.1%

Golden amber in color, definitely one of the darkest "light" beers I've seen. Frothy white head stays nice and tight - a pretty nice look in general, and especially for this woebegone style.

Nose is lightly citric, with soft grain malt notes. A little metallic aroma keeps this from the next higher score. Power is obviously quite muted as well.

Thin body with just enough grain, starch, and caramel from the malt to pull an above average score. Not a ton going on here, but with an actually tastable malt bill and some citric and floral hop notes, you're looking at a very good and drinkable light lager. Finishes dry and the carbonated-metallic note returns - a bit of a bummer there.

Having enjoyed my fair share of Sam Adams when the selection is a little thin at bars or restaurants, I was not surprised to find that Light is also a pleasant beer to have around when a light beer is necessary.

3.68/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Picked this up in Sam Adams Summer Variety pack. Best by October 2010.

A: Darkest light beer I have encountered. High carbonation apparent with decent head and lacing.

S: Nose slightly underwhelming. Clean with some mild floral qualities.

T & M: Mouthfeel slightly silky, carbonation from appearance not really apparent in mouthfeel. Taste as expected a little muted but for a light beer quite nice. Balance is there.

D: Quite drinkable, easily best light beer I've encountered.

3.52/5  rDev +8%

It almost tastes like a light version of a pale ale. There's nothing really special to it. It has too much of a unfiltered taste to it, and a lot of malt.

This beer proves that light beer doesn't have to taste like a light beer. I've said it before, Sam Adams knows what they're doing.

4.53/5  rDev +39%

A- a lighter version of the regular version. Amber with a medium carbonation. Nice two finger head. Nice look for a light beer, puts all bmc lights to shame.

S- Not bad at all. Again, a less intense version of the regular.

T- Very refreshing after a run or yard work. Great summer beer.

M- pleasent, light and easy going down.

D- Great session beer

Sure do wish all light beers were this good!

3.38/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appears clear, golden amber-brown with a moderate head that leaves not much lacing.

A light aroma of open fields, mild hops, and barley malts.

Taste is definitely malty with a touch of hops. If more "light" beers tasted as good as this one, I'd probably weigh about five to ten pounds less. There's a touch of bitterness typical of most beers from this brewery, but it's not overwhelming.

Light and refreshing, with a well carbonated, easy drinking, dry mouthfeel.

Drinkability is pretty good. It's refreshing and is just as good ice cold as at 45 degrees.

Not their best, but certainly tasty for a light beer.

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)