Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros
Rbald42

3.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Had this tonight for the first time. Not bad!

Appearance is a dark golden color, one finger head that dissipates to a ring around the rosie.
Smell is faint hops and light amber malts. Some grassy hop notes. Nothing special. Taste is of course light , carbonation takes over but you get some decent lager yeast flavoring and light hops. Mouthfeel is average, it's slightly creamy but still too thin for my tastes. Drinkability is great. If I was a macro drinker this would probably be the perfect gateway beer into craft. I will definitely drink this again.

04-18-2010 05:15:28 | More by Rbald42
yemenmocha

Arizona

3.28/5  rDev +0.6%

Nice appearance with a pale copper color and generous white head. Nose is a little light on aroma, but has some toasty grains in there. On the palate it is noticeably watery, but surprisingly has some hop flavor and bitterness to go with the light toasty malt. I see a resemblance to the Boston Lager, though I'm not sure how much they intended to be there. Easy drinking, of course.

04-18-2010 05:12:03 | More by yemenmocha
bnes09

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Light copper colored brew with great clarity and tons of bubbles. Pours a thick and creamy white foam which actually sticks around pretty well. Exceptional appearance for a light beer.

Not much to say about the aroma. Very clean and grainy.

Taste is actually descent. By far the best light beer I have ever had. Mostly smooth and cream malt flavor comes through. Hops are subtle but there with a mild bite which is short lived. The best part is the lack of corn and rice adjunct flavors that taint the flavor of macro lights.

Mouthfeel is light-bodied as expected and tingly from the bubbles. Nice smooth finish.

Drinkablity for this one is actually exceptional due to the lightness and the fact that I don't want to dump it down the drain after the first sip. Strickly comparing it to other light beers, this is outstanding! Not a lot of complex flavors but no offensive flavors either. Well done!

04-14-2010 04:26:01 | More by bnes09
samie85

3.75/5  rDev +15%

Enjoy by month of Aug.

A-Pours a light golden amber color with a one finger head.

S-There's a grain aroma at first with some spicy noble hop notes bringing up the rear.

T-There's a nice bitterness upfront with a sweet grain and slightly dry finish.

M-Crisp and dry in the mouth with light body and ample carbonation.

D-This is a very easy drinking full flavored light beer, and while there's not a ton of things going on, there's a lot more here than you usual watery, light beer.

04-13-2010 22:49:38 | More by samie85
wahhmaster

3.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Pilsner Urquell pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a translucent copper color with plenty of carbonation bubbles. Has a large foamy white head that dissipates quickly and leaves spotty lacing.

Smell: Smells grainy with a strong metallic smell. Could be better...

Taste: For a light beer, this is a full-flavored beer. Starts malty and a little bitter. Finishes hoppy with a bit of a metallic twinge. Hops are kind of subtle but this is still impressive for a light beer.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, clean, and refreshing.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable and tasteful for a light beer. Pretty average for a beer in general, but great for a light beer. Sam Adams impresses me yet again.

04-08-2010 23:47:25 | More by wahhmaster
Mosstrooper

3.8/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into half-liter Krusovice pilsner glass.

Appearance: Deep golden color with a slightly amber hue. Large tan-ish head that dissipates slowly and leaves thin, light lacing.

Smell: Grainy malt aromas with some grassiness and herbal aromas. Slight metallic hints

Taste: Begins with grainy sweetness, finishing with a slight hop bite and a sweet, buttery aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thin body (slightly more on the medium side) with sharp carbonation and a crisp finish.

Drinkability: As a beer overall, this one is fairly average. As a light beer, however, this stands out in almost every way in comparison to others. I could also see this going well with most foods.

04-08-2010 23:43:16 | More by Mosstrooper
sweemzander

3.73/5  rDev +14.4%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint.

(A)- Pours a clear amber color that produced a good white head with some good retention. The darkest looking "light" beer ive ever seen.

(S)- A toasty nuttiness with a corn meal thing.

(T)- A creamy-like nuttiness with a subtle sprinkle of brown sugar & corn meal.

(M)- A good carbonation level & balance. One of the maltiest "light" beers I have ever had.

(D)- Very sessionable. A beer I would definitely have all the time in my fridge if I was a light beer drinker since this have more flavor than any of the style I have had so far. Fantastic for the style.

03-15-2010 21:05:19 | More by sweemzander
Patrick999

3.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottle poured into Sam Adams glass. Looks suspiciously like real beer - attractive golden-amber, retention pretty good.

Small bit of caramel and butter in the aroma.

Taste is very clean and dry with a sharp mineral-water bite. Slight hoppiness and sour grain, otherwise I might think I was drinking a bottle of San Pellegrino.

As with most light beers, body lacking. Not as bad as BMC though.

Not exactly a full-flavored beer by any stretch, nevertheless at 4% it's not a bad lawnmower beer, or lunchtime table beer. Obviously a better light beer than you'd get from the big boys.

03-10-2010 18:40:22 | More by Patrick999
acelin

3.53/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance was moderate, was a nutty almond brown with no head.

Smelled of nutty malts with a lemongrass sweetness.

Tastes very sweet with a low hop character, almost no taste but very refreshing.

Mouthfeel was thicker than most light beers, which was very welcomed.

Drinkability was excellent. Perfect for getting your beer thirst quenched after weeks of hop bombs and huge stouts.

03-08-2010 21:07:08 | More by acelin
Onenote81

3.75/5  rDev +15%

Had this for lunch at a local restaurant. Poured into a pilsner glass. Pours a dark copper with a thick white head on top. Decent retention; left some sticky lace. Scents of grains, honey, and fresh bread. Light hop scent. The body is crisp and effervescent. Almost a little too much carbonation. Decent enough though. Great bready sweet flavors that finish with a slight bitter pop. I was impressed with this. The standard for light lagers I think. I'd have this again for sure.

03-05-2010 22:19:54 | More by Onenote81
Jesstyr

3.83/5  rDev +17.5%

The ultimate beer for the debate of style vs taste. With my latest tasting I tried to balance the two - and when it comes down to it this is a good beer regardless of style - it just happens to be a light lager.

Amber appearance with light white foamy head. Lighlty metallic and bit grainy, but largely the same to me as "Sam Heavy". Nice light body that goes down very easy. Excellent mix of malt and hops, and a faint bit of caramel. The true definition of light, except I actually prefer this over the heavy alternative. Completely drinkable, light and easy going down.

02-23-2010 01:33:08 | More by Jesstyr
backfat

Indiana

3.13/5  rDev -4%

pours a light copper with a one finger white head. light floral aromas. the taste is very light and bready with biscuit tones. faint malt and caramel throughout. very grainy with a creamy mouthfeel. a bit watery but compared to most light lagers, decent flavor. crisp and refreshing, just very very light and too boring for me.

02-21-2010 22:40:38 | More by backfat
LightEnthusiast

South Dakota

4.43/5  rDev +35.9%

Purchased one bottle on a whim to see what the fuss was about. A few years back I tried a Sam Adams something or other (I can't remember, I was playing a show and it was handed to me) and I had to choke it down. It must have been a strong dark lager.

I purchased ONE of these just in case I hated it. That way I wouldn't be spending the whole $8 on a 6'er like I did with the horrendous Bud Light Golden Wheat (read my review).

I'm glad I purchased it. I had no beer opener so I had a little trouble trying to get it open (metal spoon, counter top, prying with metal objects) but once I did I noticed the foam was nice and thick (this was very different from the other light beers I had been trying). I couldn't smell much through the foam but I let it die off in the sink for about 30 seconds and took my first sip.

At first taste it was absolutely clear this was a stand-out from all of the other "light" so-called beers. This was thick, full, hearty - and the mouthfeel wasn't cheap or overly carbonated. The flavor was not artificial - this beer took time to brew. Wonderful honey and fruity tomato notes tagged at the end. My initial reaction was eye-popping "now THAT'S a beer." I was ecstatic.

Because I tasted it before I smelled it, I took a whif after the initial taste. The smell is not overwhelmingly original, but the scents do not clash and though it doesn't really reflect how the beer tastes, I have definitely smelled worse. If I had to describe it, I would say it is very robust, thick, and hearty. I'm getting some very strong wheat, barley and straw right out front with a note of sasparilla trailing right behind. Very very faint hint of vanilla creme and caramel. Floral notes are in the background, overshadowed by the straw and barley. I can't quite tell what they are.

The mouth-feel is incredible. Smooth, thick, full, floating. Its thickness is thick without being thick. Swishes to the back of your palette effortlessly and leaves a smooth finish all the way down. The finish disappears near-perfectly at the right time before the bitter sets in, like a good house guest that knows when to leave. No harsh notes, very mild bitterness. Smooth, smooth, smooth.

Drinkability is superb in the way that it drinks like a beer and not like a soda. Not as easy or as light as, persay, many light "carbonated beers" that go right down the hatch quickly and leave you craving for more (they have their place); but on the contrary you will have more time to enjoy this beer properly because it doesn't doesn't finish as quickly as the others and is likened more to hot chocolate than skim chocolate milk.

Incredibly smooth. Full of flavor, mildly sweet, very low bitterness. Absolutely impeccable. This is what a light lager should be.

02-17-2010 22:57:15 | More by LightEnthusiast
spartanbj

4.1/5  rDev +25.8%

I absolutely love this beer. I hate the commercial light beers like Bud Light, Miller and Coors but I want to drink a flavorful light beer to save a few calories.

SAL fits the bill perfectly. It is great for sipping during dinner or guzzling with the guys during the games.

I stock this one in my fridge along with Peanut Butter and Jelly.

01-21-2010 15:46:41 | More by spartanbj
mullenite

3.8/5  rDev +16.6%

Glassware - Ikea Pilsener

Appearance - A nice rich amber color with a tall white head that had some decent retention but not much lacing. I'm kind of surprised by the color, it isn't straw yellow in color.

Nose - Toasted biscuits and caramel primarily make up the aroma of the beer. Not much in the way of hops, or anything really... though that's not a bad thing.

Taste - Lots of biscuit and caramel malt. Lots of caramel. Sweet and not really grainy (which I like.) It tastes like a light version of Boston Lager with less hops.

Mouthfeel - Thin body and lots of carbonation, as expected.

Overall - I really like this for being a light beer. It's very clean and refreshing without being bland and tasteless. No bad grain flavors, not off-tasting phenolic flavors. Just nice, clean and refreshing.

01-12-2010 07:04:14 | More by mullenite
MTNboy

Germany

It is a decent light beer. It stays true to Sam Adams the original. There are a lot of beers that the light version tastes nothing like the original this not that beer. It seems to be just that a watered down version of the original. The mouthfeel is thinner. The reddish amber is just a little lighter as with the flavor except the flavor of hops. They stayed the same. Except the flavor of hops the stayed about the same. It is what is supposed to be.

01-07-2010 20:48:01 | More by MTNboy
Cubsfan1087

Iowa

4.08/5  rDev +25.2%

Samuel Adams Light is an exceptional "light" beer. This brew hardly belongs in the light beer category. This is a surprisingly flavorful and refreshing beer if you haven't had the pleasure of enjoying a bottle of it (I've yet to find it on tap).

12-31-2009 22:31:44 | More by Cubsfan1087
WWWade

2.98/5  rDev -8.6%

For a light beer, this has to be one of the best. No doubt.

L - clear amber with almost no head

S - faint hops

T - crisp with a slight backdrop of hops

M - carbonated and easy

D - not high when compared to other light beers, but very high for any other beer

12-31-2009 00:04:28 | More by WWWade
HerrBob

Alabama

4.15/5  rDev +27.3%

This beer is amazing for a light beer. I tried to score it as compared to other light beers and I am definitely not a light beer fan. Compared to my favorite IPA style - well you can't it isn't fair. I will say it has more real beer flavor that regular Bud, Coors etc. It looks real, tastes real and smells real. Most light beers are more akin to club soda than beer. It will never be on my favorite list, but when trying to go light it is a winner.

12-30-2009 23:21:32 | More by HerrBob
kimcgolf

Georgia

2.15/5  rDev -34%

Sam Adams beers are generally decent, but I must have either gotten a skunked one, or this beer just really sucks. Nose was grainy, taste was like wet burlap, and the finish was something I could not get washed out of my mouth quickly enough. Very disappointing.

12-13-2009 03:20:22 | More by kimcgolf
tone77

3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a small head. Smell is mild, some malts. Taste is crisp with malts, actually some flavor here. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall I found myself saying "this is a light beer? ". For this beer style, this one is darn good.

12-07-2009 23:47:44 | More by tone77
jwhawkins81

Best by date on the bottle says Jan 2010

Aroma - Aromatic hops and a definite malt sweetness that means good things for this beer.

Appearance - Darkest amber light beer I've ever seen. Poured with an off white head that maintained a thin film head for most of the drinking experience.

Taste - Creamy and neither overly sweet or bitter. Actually this beer is almost all malt. A bready malt quality is in there and just a subdued amount of hops. The finish is more dry than the crisp tahn you might expect from a light beer.

Notes - This is in no way what anyone thinks is a light beer. Sure at only 119 calories that might make it lighter. At 4% this beer was made to session. Just a good beer in my book. Might as well have another while I'm at it.

11-19-2009 01:01:48 | More by jwhawkins81
seanbhudson

3.13/5  rDev -4%

APPEARANCE:
12 ounce bottle with enjoy by date of October 2009. Pours a clear amber color with a medium white head. No noticeable lacing.
AROMA:
Light aroma of toasted malt and hint of earthy hops.
FLAVOR:
Light toasted malt and hint of grain and spicy hops. No corn flavors. Definitely more flavor than most light beers but nothing exciting.
MOUTHFEEL:
Light body with crisp mouthfeel. Lively carbonation. Finishes dry due to carbonation.
DRINKABILITY:
Easy drinking and relatively flavorful light beer.
NOTES: BJCP Light American Lager

10-19-2009 17:03:06 | More by seanbhudson
CRichardsMN

2.42/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance:
Golden yet thin. Perhaps a bit darker than a standard macro lager. Thin wispy head which holds up ok.

Smell:
Very light malt with a hint of hops.

Taste:
Ok, considering the style (though not very light on the calories in comparison) this can actually be called a beer. The flavor is light and crisp with a little bitterness to follow. Not too bad.

Mouthfeel:
Again, considering the style, you can only pack so much density into a "light" beer. Lets call it decent for a light but still light.

Drinkability:
I'd have no problem with pouring out a few of these and could do so guiltlessly (not that there is usually a problem...).

Comment:
There is a tie between this and Michelob Amber Ultra for my favorite light beer. Both still have a hint of flavor and far exceed any of the other macro lights (lites).

10-10-2009 18:32:51 | More by CRichardsMN
grayburn

South Carolina

I am reviewing this beer completely with its style in mind, as I feel it is one of the only light lagers out there with any real flavor, albeit not a whole lot.
The smell and taste make it seem like this is a mini version of BBC's flagship Boston Lager. Some hoppiness floating around.
The mouthfeel is light and crisp, not too shabby.
I could drink quite a few of these, but this is far from my favorite style.

10-08-2009 20:53:39 | More by grayburn
Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)