Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros

The beer pours an amber color with a white head, considerably darker than the BMC light beers this is going up against.

The aroma has some biscuit malt to it, but it is also heavy on the grain. The flavor is more of the same. I get a little bit of grass from the hops, but the flavor is predominantly grain and bready malt, with just a little bit of toffee mixed in. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Better than other light lagers such as Bud Light, but still not too much going on here. One of the weakest offerings from Boston Beer Company.

2.76/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured a bottle into my Northern Brewer pint glass. Freshness date was notched Nov 2010, but I've had this thing in the fridge since the summer so I'm pretty confident it hasn't gone bad.

A: Pours a copper color, slightly amber, with lots of fizzy carbonation. There's not a prolonged head. In fact, after a minute or two all that's left is a few bubbles skimming the surface.

S: Smells like chewy caramel. The aromas don't overpower. There's some faint noble hops there that seem mostly floral. A little roastiness is present.

T: Too watered down for me. The faintest of malts is there, but barely. Better as it warms, but I'd much rather prefer the standard Sam Adams brew when given the choice.

M: Carbonation is spot on, but it's too light for my liking. (Yes - I do realize this is a light beer.)

D: Drinkability is definitely there. Could drink this all day long if I had to. I only think I would choose something with more flavor.

Seems like a decent session beer if you wanted something a notch above BMC. Otherwise, I think Sam Adams has plenty better options.

2.85/5  rDev -12.6%

Golden Amber and a very foamy head

The nose is nothing. I feel like I'm smelling beer while sick. Light citrus, grassy toasted malts

Thin body with descent carbonation. Burnt caramel, very faint and mild fruit.Some off flavors. Lacking in the end. I only want more to get over the after taste.

For Sam I'm not impressed. Light beer shouldn't even be a category.

3.71/5  rDev +13.8%

12oz bottle in SA perfect pint glass.

A: Pours a glowing orange with a fluffy white head that quickly faded into a thin film leaving no lace.
S: Light notes of toasted grains with a touch of lemon and sweet malt.
T: Very light flavors of grain and grain husk. A fair amount of sweet malt comes through in the finish. Aftertaste is a touch sticky and astringent.
M: Medium bodied, bubbly crispy carbonation, and a kind of soda-like mouthfeel.
D: I'm no expert on the style since most light lagers I see are of the BMC variety, but this one is actually drinkable and is something I wouldn't mind having again (in the right situation).

3.27/5  rDev +0.3%

I usually despise all light beers, but on a whim at the local casino, the drink lady brought me one of these by mistake. I stared at it for a while before I finally decided I'd actually try it. I am a huge Sam Adams fan and this is one of the few Sam beers I have not tried. It was slightly better than an average light beer, with a weak aroma, non-existent taste, and no trace of head, with way too much carbonation. While it could be worse, it could have been better.

2.06/5  rDev -36.8%

Its pretty dark for a light beer but overall a light amberish golden color. White head that's smooth and creamy looking. It looks extremely carbonated with bubbles rushing to the top to form the creamy head. Some lacing on the bottom half of the glass.

It has that light smell that most light beers have. I can smell the hops and the grainy smell. It smells a little better than light beers though.

Not as carbonated as I thought. Very smooth.

Is there even a taste? This is the most bland tasting light beer I have ever tried... I take that back... Coors light is, this is almost as bad. I'm trying to taste the hops I can't. Tastes like carbonated water and a single hop added.

Drink Ability I don't like the taste, I don't want another one ever.

If you like Coors Light and you're tired of getting made fun of for drinking it, give yourself a better name and you really don't have to sacrifice the taste all that much from Coors Light. At least you're drinking a Sam's, right?

3.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Served from bottle into a wine glass.

A - Beer is a very light copper color, but stillmore than any light beer I've ever seen. The head was nonexistent, except for a tiny ring around the glass. A little bit of lacing.

S - Aroma is a hint of biscuity malt and a hint of hops, but it's so faint I can't even guess the hop variety.

T - The taste is nice, but very watered-down and faint. There is a small amount of hops bitterness that is well balanced with the small amount of malt.

M - The body is light.

D - Overall, this is enjoyable for a light beer, but it does not stand up at all against other Samuel Adams beers. Still, if I have to have light beer arond, I'd prefer this one.

3.2/5  rDev -1.8%

I was at the airport and it was the choice between this and Hieneken in a bottle. I wasn't thrilled about either but since I hadn't tried this I thought I would. It was pretty much exactly as advertised: a light version of sam adams. It did have the malty character but in a very watery way. The color was certainly darker than a typical bud or becks but not as dark as a regular sam. aroma was light but present. Flavor, as mentioned had a decent malt presence but a little watery. I had two of them in the early afternoon and was able to easily navigate through the rest of my day.

2.5/5  rDev -23.3%

Amber brew with a nose of honey, caramel and grassy hops. Light crisp body. I can not say the brew does not have flavors, but they are barely noticeable (some earthy hops and honey.). Slightly dry short finish. Better than most light beers but still it is just barely drinkable.

There arent to many beers that I would give a perfect score to but this is one of them. I wish this was a standard for an American Lager. I really enjoy the malt aroma from this beer. The color is gorgeous, a hint of yellow with light amber hue to it. There is a very nice malt and hop balance here. Light enough to make it drinkable and yet flavorful enough to keep you wanting more! Great beer!

3.73/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice copper color with a good white head, that left decent lacing on the glass as it fell. this beer smells like a light beer, but one that has been kicked up a notch. It doesn't smell too light, and it also has some hop presence and some caramel notes. The taste is good, I mean you cant expect a lot of complex flavors from a light beer, but this was definitely surprising. It had a good sweetness to it, and also you could actually taste some hops. The mouthfeel was good because It had a light body with medium carbonation, but it was not watery like almost all other light beers. I would say that the drinkability was excellent. I really could drink these all night long. This is the best light beer I have tried, and it showed me that there really is a good light beer out there. I think Sam Adams really achieved what they were going for with this beer, which was making a light beer that didn't completely suck. I was scared to try this at first, but I really think its a quality beer. Good job. Cheers.

2.81/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - beer pours with a light amber/copper tone; half-inch white-light-light cream colored head formed and withered away very quickly; low-to-moderate carbonation; carbonation lacks life

S - smells a lot like the other lighter beers (miller, bud); lacks a hoppy smell; has a corn-grain like aroma

T - not much taste; no bitterness, probably due to the lack of hops; has a unique flavor when compared to other light beers, kind of tastes like a Miller Lite but with more favor

M - flat carbonation feel; watery and no texture to beer

D - high caliber light beer, lacking much of the flavor that I need to keep coming back to it; I think my description sums it up best "Sam Adams's attempt to break into the light beer market should be recognized as a success, but as with most light beers, the emphasis is on volume. Sacrificing the much needed taste and quality."

3.42/5  rDev +4.9%

Sam Adams Light pours a copper color, with a decent head that stayed around. There is a very mellow smell. The taste is also mellow, light, as the name implies. Not too much to say about this one. Overall this is a nice beer, very mellow but deffently the best light beer I ever had.

4.3/5  rDev +31.9%

For a light beer, I have to admit this is one of the best offerings available. I actually has taste that makes you believe it can't be a light. After trying watered down piss offered by just about everyone... Triple Hops this... silver that... low carb blah blah blah... it is nice to finally find a light beer you could enjoy while knowing you were at least attempting to keep your diet in line.

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a light copper with a nice white head and a bit of lacing on the way down. Visible carbonation bubbles rising throughout. Smells fairly light, but brings a decent amount of light grain with hints of caramel. Some like Noble hops as well. The taste is slightly sweet and grainy and brings a fairly crisp hop bite. Light body with good carbonation. Certainly one of the better light lagers out there, if not the best.

4.25/5  rDev +30.4%

Sammy Adams never seems to let me down, and this light offering of theirs is no exception. You can't expect a bold mixture of flavors from a light beer, but you also can't expect the exceptional drinkability you'll discover in the first sip of this delightful brew. This is most definitely my go-to beer for nights dedicated to quantity of alcohol over quality, and the quality of a decent beer is still more than present in this heavily drinkable offering from Samuel. Try this if boldly flavored beers scare you away, if you naturally enjoy light beers, or if you are new to drinking beer.

2.4/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours a light amber almost copper color with a white/slight yellow head, no lacing.
Smells of grain, some citrus, and boozy.
More character than most light beers. Fizzy, kind of like soda. Grainy, somewhat malty.
Mouthfeel is nominal, very thin.
Okay in the drinkability category.

3.56/5  rDev +9.2%

A-penny copper color. no real head. very carbonated. no lacing.

S- mild metal smells, little bit of grain in there too. smells like beer.

T- fizzy. this is barley soda. but i am really enjoying it. bad thing is i could enjoy way too much of it, thankfully the abv is pretty low. it is very refreshing. i could easily drink this at dinner or on the weekends while doing stuff around the house or yard. not much to it flavor wise though.

M- no dryness, slightly sweet. mostly carbonation. i like it.

D- very drinkable.

3.82/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance has a mid amber tone with a crisp thick head that dissipates quickly leaving nil lace. Smell is grainy with light citrus and hop. Taste has full flavor for a light lager, having the same flavor as the Boston lager, but just lighter. Mouthfeel is light with good body. Nothing bad about this light, I'd buy again.

3.75/5  rDev +15%

I bought a 12pack Sam Adams sampler at Woodman's in Janesville, WI for about $9 in late summer 2010.

This light beer from Sam Adams definetly has a lighter taste than the Boston Lager or Boston Ale, but it is still very well made. At 4% alcohol it still is a tasty beer and delivers the lighter contents without sacrificing taste. If you are a Bud Light/ Miller Lite drinker, give this a try!

4.4/5  rDev +35%

Aroma is a bit of husk, grain and perhaps some citrus. Kind of a mix...but not bad.

Taste is pretty good and full for a light lager. Carbonation is pretty ample. Initial taste is of slight lemony citrus...there's a good hop crispness on the finish that follows that. There's also a nice grainy sweetness after the finish that rounds out the beer. Pretty clean and refreshing. For a light beer, this is about as good as it'll get.

Awesome session beer, in my opinion. It's a light beer, but it isn't watery and has good flavor, and that's about all you can ask for.

3.2/5  rDev -1.8%

Light, clear coppery golden with a slight fizzy head that quickly burns off. Light husky grain and faint noble hop notes in the nose. The fact that is doesn't have off flavors puts it a cut above other "lite/light" diet brews. The flavor is purely watered down Boston lager. Thin bodied with seltzery carbonation. This is probably the best diet beer I will ever have, whatever that is good for.

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

From a bottle to a pint glass...
Pours a light copper color, very thin white head.
Smells of buttered toast with a hint of lemon.
Tastes like bread and has a very light tingle of bitterness.
Feels very light but still smooth.
This was good for a light beer, a lot better than your typical macros.

4.53/5  rDev +39%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an EXCELLENT beer to try if you're relatively new to beer. Don't let the name fool you, this isn't a "light" beer. It's simply a lighter version of Boston Lager. It's also nothing similar to the vast majority of "light beers". It's full of flavor, uses traditional ingredients (no adjuncts), and is a nice amber color. The only low point to this beer is the lack of head retention and less than desirable lacing; but with that we're talking trivial aesthetics that don't effect how it tastes or drinks.

This was the first "real" beer I tried, and it was love at first taste. Right down the middle balanced, yet you can clearly taste both the malty sweetness and hop bitterness. While the hop character is subtle, it's clearly present. The appearance of this beer is hard to beat. A clear amber hue with a few carbonation strands make for a dazzling display in any beer glass.

I can't praise this beer enough, or stress it's drinkability, especially for beginning drinkers. It's also a great beer to have if you're the driver for the night because of the somewhat modest ABV; all the characteristics of a great non-light beer but you can enjoy one of two more because it won't impair you as fast as most other "real" beers will. Happy Drinking!

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Clear golden honey color with a billowy head that fades quickly.

S: Light grain aroma with a touch of light malt sweetness.

T: Clean & crisp, with a mild malt taste & dry finish.

F: Medium body, plenty of carbonation. Nice fresh feel'

D: Easy drinker, lots of flavor for a light beer. Miles ahead of the other light beers I've had over the years.

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)