Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
View: Beers (128) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros
dreadnatty08

District of Columbia

3.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My first review for a lite lager!
Pours a dark straw color with a small, quarter inch head, quite a lot better looking than any other lite lager I've seen. Aroma of lightly toasted bread, mild spice, green apple and sweet cornbread. On the palate, you can tell it's all malt, starts off with a solid Munich malt profile, lightly toasty but it leaves too quickly. Noble hop character provides a good floral note and gives it interest. This is certainly leaps and bounds above any other Lite Lager on the market, and applaud BBC for making it.

03-11-2008 15:10:06 | More by dreadnatty08
JerzDevl2000

2.98/5  rDev -8.6%

This was given to me as a gift since my stash was running pretty low. I haven't had this in a long time, and while I used to think this beer was quite good, my tastes have changed considerably in recent years. For it's style, this is certainly at the head of the pack. However, it's still a light lager when one boils it down, so don't expect the world from this!

The pour wasn't anything to write home about - a bit of head, no lacing to be found, and a medium amber hue to it was all easily seen. There wasn't a lot of carbonation either, and everything about this beer is implied in the name: light. Light on taste, body, and hops. The only notes I could detect here were a bit of burnt/caramel up front and lots of detergent-like lightness in the back, after the crisp taste cuts through. Sure, it's a bit malty, but it's so light...who would know?

Sure, the 4.0% ABV is there, but you're going to drink this because it's low calorie, better than the alternatives in it's class, and yes, it can be quite satisfying on a hot day when any other light beer just don't cut it. Unfortunately, it's not like that outside right now, so I'll enjoy the rest of these in my six pack, knowing that I gave it a whirl. It's a very basic beer with a very basic taste: consider yourself warned!

03-10-2008 07:56:37 | More by JerzDevl2000
deltatauhobbit

Maine

3.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a light clear amber color with some head but not much lacing, honestly this beer is much darker than a light beer deserves to be which is pleasing to the eye though, based on looks I would not know this is a light lager.

Smell has a light caramel and hop aroma, well balance for a light beer, stronger aroma than most, sweet malt comes through in spades.

Taste is typical of a light lager but with slightly stronger aspects, crisp clean taste with a soft carbonation touch, decent balance, has the light bitterness with a strong sweet malt backing.

Won't convert me to liking light lagers, but if I had to drink one this would probably be it since the flavors are more pronounced than your typical light beer yet delicate at the same time.

03-09-2008 20:32:54 | More by deltatauhobbit
Enola

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

This beer is a nice clear orange with a small head. Very little lacing remains in the glass. Smell is grain like, a little richer than your average light brew. Taste is richer too. The hops are noticable and the beer has a nice flavor. Mouthfeel is fairly smooth with drinkability good as is typical with lighter brews.

03-09-2008 16:06:11 | More by Enola
Grimes

3.85/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured translucent deep gold in my pint glass with a single fingered head that quickly dissolves leaving little to no lacing at all.
Big, bold smell for a light beer. Sweet with a bit of hops.
Taste is typical of Sam Adams, very malty with a nice hops backbone.
Very light mouthfeel. A little watery. Too much carbonation for my tastes, but still better than your typical light beer.
This would make a great introductory brew for most macro lovers.

03-08-2008 16:57:57 | More by Grimes
jar2574

Missouri

3.13/5  rDev -4%

Decent amount of head, and retention. Light amber color.

Sweet malty smell, with only a slight touch of hops, but a bit metallic as well.

Good for a light lager, but too bland, all things considered. Watery, instead of hoppy. Probably had to take some of the good stuff out to make it a "light" beer.

Not bad, just not something I'd order when you can order the real Sam Adams instead. That's good stuff. This isn't quite up to snuff.

Goes down easy though, like a light beer should.

03-08-2008 02:15:33 | More by jar2574
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.68/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into one of those curvy Sam Adams glasses.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a medium off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light caramelized malts a good amount of hops.

T: The taste is bready with a little sweetness and contains flavors of caramel and mild amount of floral hops. The malt character is hearty but not heavy at all. The after-taste is slightly sweet. It tastes just like Sam Adams Boston Lager but milder in flavor.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, this beer is exactly what you would expect, a lighter version of Sam Adams Boston Lager, but still has enough substance to make it the best "light beer" out there.

02-22-2008 17:53:09 | More by TheManiacalOne
erosier

Connecticut

3.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a copper color with a short white head that laces a litle bit down the glass. Has a light malty aroma and some hops, but not alot. It had a kind of watery taste but a nice amount of malt and hop taste for a light beer. Has a nice mouthfeel - very smooth. The drinkability is good for a light beer. It is definately one of the better light beers out there and worth a try if you like light beers.

02-17-2008 19:36:00 | More by erosier
wheatyweiss

Wisconsin

4.38/5  rDev +34.4%

Consumed straight from the bottle, no glass to use.

I given a good on appearance because it is from a bottle and I can't really rate, when I can't see.

Smell is good, light hops with a malt backbone. Piney and citrusey at the same time.

Taste is very good for a macro. Malty with a good balance of hops. The label says nobles and I can't disagree. Sourdough bread with pine, citrus with maple syrup....Awesome for a light beer!

Mouthfeel is good, a little bubbly, but feels full bodied.

Drinkability is awesome. A light beer with this much flavor!!!! Give me a case and get outta my way!!!

For a "light" macro, this is awesome...I love it! Perfect for indoctrinating people to the wonderful world of craft beer.

02-15-2008 00:59:10 | More by wheatyweiss
Gehrig

3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

I'll issue the caveat up front when I say I am far from a light beer fan. This, however, actually isn't bad. Not one I'll ever grab a six-pack and watch a baseball game with, mind you, but not bad. Its presentation is nice, a finger of off-white head atop a somewhat darker golden body that is far better than most rudimentary macros that I've seen, without question. Decent hops on the nose, but its light, so there's not much and I don't expect much. The taste surprises me with a little complexity--nicely hopped, a tad bitter in spurts, a yeasty back beat--not too shabby for light. It weakens and flattens sooner than I had hoped, unfortunately.

Ultimately, this isn't worth turning down, and is genuinely better than macros I've had. Not an award-winner, but surprisingly decent.

01-24-2008 06:20:57 | More by Gehrig
DrainBamage

4.55/5  rDev +39.6%

Pours a copper color with a nice lace of head. The smell has virtually no aromas of corn or rice, but rather malty aromas. The taste has a very caramel malt flavor to it with bitterness being minimal. Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp. This is hands down the best light lager I've ever had. It's gonna be pretty hard to beat this.

01-23-2008 05:32:46 | More by DrainBamage
baos

Indiana

3.75/5  rDev +15%

From notes: drank while tearing out dressing rooms where I work. Nice work beer I have to say =)

12 oz into glass.

A: Nice looking lager a bit of a darker hue than most of the macros. Decent head with decent lacing.

S: Detect a bit o' hops there Mr. Henry-faced man. Nice maltiness as well Mr. Troubadour.

T: This is the best light beer I've ever had times a million. Can taste the hops and it has a very nice malt character as well.

M: Perfect for this type of beer plus a bit more for ya, but not much more.

D: This is a sixer over poker kinda beer. Drink away boys and girls!

01-23-2008 02:04:44 | More by baos
drperm

2.45/5  rDev -24.8%

It's gonna be hard to get to the 250 character minimum on this one. Why? Well, it's so one-dimensional, and that dimension is: Light. One of the best -named beers of all time, basically. I will say that the tongue yields some pleasant nuttiness that is not unenjoyable. And I have reached the word count.

01-22-2008 19:01:40 | More by drperm
jneiswender

3.55/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a small tasting glass.

A--Light amber color. Quick dying head.

S--Smell is faintly fusel, floral and somewhat berry aroma.

T--Grainy malt flavor, some good hop bitterness.

M--Somewhat thin. But full flavor for a light.

D--The only reason I would drink light beer is if I needed save my life and I needed to be weaned off of beer. In that case I may choose death. That said, I looked up similar data on light beers found by others. Seems to be that you would do just as good getting a nice lager than a Sams Light because they have roughly the same number of calories. I can't believe people that there are a group of people who think they are loosing weight by drinking SA Light!

01-21-2008 14:42:38 | More by jneiswender
JamesS

Indiana

4.13/5  rDev +26.7%

Pours a nice amber color with good head and good lacing. Nice scent, good and malty with slightly bitter traces. Great taste for a light lager, very clean and refreshing, but not at all weak like most 'light' beers. It has an excellent bit of hoppiness you won't find in the other light lagers produced in any quantity. Goes down nice and smooth. If I were to actually drink light beers in any amount, it would be this one.

01-20-2008 14:04:56 | More by JamesS
Halcyondays

2.85/5  rDev -12.6%

12 oz. bottle, picked up on a whim since I've never had it before, and I was in the mood for something lighter,

A: Darkest light beer ever, it pours a light amber, about the colour of light maple syrup, the real stuff from Vermont or Canada, with a small off-white head, which dissipates quickly.

S: Very light, but picked up some maltiness and bread character/cracked wheat/bulghur.

T: Bready in the main taste, with a light hop bite at the end, tasty enough for a light beer, but for a craft brewed lager it is lacking.

M: Light and watery, but with enough heft to know you're drinking a beer.

D: Best light beer I've ever had, but that's not saying much for this style, don't think I'll buy it again, but was nice to try to see if a light lager could actually have flavour.

01-19-2008 02:23:19 | More by Halcyondays
BigRedN

Nebraska

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Left over from Christmas. I was finishing the last of these off and surfing BA when I thought I'd see how I rated this. Well, low-and-behold I had not reviewed it yer.

Appearance: Poured from the 12 oz bottle with best by April '08 notched on the label into a pint glass. The beer is a crystal clear amber color with a rather thin 1/2 inch head that faded to a ring around the glass and leaves little lacing. When compared to other light beers this one blows them away.

Smell: A light aroma of some malts (a lightly roasted caramel aroma). A bit low on scent.

Taste: Some light malt and grains, just a hint of bitterness on the finish. Low in flavor for many other styles (such as amber lager/ale that this looks like), but is pretty decent for a light beer.

Mouthfeel: I hesitate to call this light in body, but it is. Not watery, so that is good. A nice crisp, clean finish.

Drinkability: Low alcohol, just enough flavor, I could session with this for long hours with no problem. While this is probably just an average craft beer; when compared to other beers that call themselves light (or lite) beer (the typical BMC offerings) this is by far better.

01-17-2008 04:47:23 | More by BigRedN
wcudwight

3.78/5  rDev +16%

The darkest light beer I've seen. Golden amber in color with some ruby hues. Not much head to speak of, yet good sticky lacing.
Faint aroma of some sweet maltiness. Very little hop aroma.
Extremely flavorful for a light beer. Sweet malts with a quick hop kick at the end.
Smooth light bodied mouthfeel and very drinkable. There's a ton of better beers out there but if feel the need to drink a light beer, then this is the one to get.

01-12-2008 05:23:28 | More by wcudwight
jerrychino

Arizona

4.05/5  rDev +24.2%

I´m reviewing this beer based on what it is, a light beer. Comparing color and taste, it´s seriouslly above other light beers. I´ve heard people say they would prefer bud or miller lite. I´m not a beer expert yet, but I don´t think there is any comparison. I trully think this is a light beer that doesn´t really taste like light beer (watered down beer).

12-20-2007 03:49:46 | More by jerrychino
dsa7783

2.28/5  rDev -30.1%

Had this on tap at Chili's... Not bad for $2.99 at a 16-ounce size, but definitely not my favorite lite beer... was never a big fan of Sam Adams, and the only brew from the company which ever caught my fancy was the Cream Stout... this one doesn't do it for me for a lite beer... personally would prefer a Miller or Coors, but I'm sure those in the Boston area might be a little warmer towards a home-town favorite... Drinkability was average, and the taste, which wasn't awful just wasn't too impressive... somewhat bitter which really didn't do it for me... Not recommended... Better lite beers to choose from...

12-16-2007 20:26:35 | More by dsa7783
BeerTaster

3.45/5  rDev +5.8%

I am judging this light beer compaired to other light beers and compaired to them this beer is fantastic. I picked up a 12pk because I decided to only have the higher calorie stuff on weekends. Served in a pilsner glass formed and retained a nice head. Color was much darker than your average light beer but the taste was amazing it had flavor unlike most light beers. all in all if you are trying to watch what you eat this is a good beer to unwind with at the end of the day

12-05-2007 03:47:27 | More by BeerTaster
caminiti

3.38/5  rDev +3.7%

Just what you would expect from a light beer, and maybe, just maybe, a little bit more, though at $13 a twelve pack, it should be.
The good folks at Sam Adams, through their advertising, get you to drink the Kool-Aid and think this may be something better than light beer, but its really not ("Won best beer, and there wasnt even a category for light beer"). If I was forced to drink light, which I sometimes am, I would choose this, but its probably along the same lines, calorie wise, as Guiness, but twelve steps up from Coors light, etc.

11-24-2007 01:20:25 | More by caminiti
dnichols

Washington

3.58/5  rDev +9.8%

I poured a 12 ounce capped bottle into a 12 ounce mug.

A: It poured a fresh clear, bright copper body with amber highlights when back lit. A moderately aggressive pour produced a dirty white robust half finger head that receded to a ring around the collar and supported a barely there curtain.

S: It had crisp and clean lightly roasted malts with a recessed hop aroma. More aroma than any macro light I have tried.

T: It has a light sweet malt flavor with a recessed bitterness. There is a steady stream of carbonation that helps keep the taste fresh and zippy on the tongue. There are hints of sweet white fruit but they are so recessed it is difficult to determine the profile of the flavors.

M: It is a light bodied very clean brew with sweet malts on the front and slight bitterness on the back. The carbonation keeps the palate fresh and clean.

D: I doubt you could find a finer session beer for the diet set. This brew is easy to consume in mass and light and refreshing enough for a hot long day while being sufficiently flavorful to not loose your interest due to lack of character.

Comment: This is a surprising light brew. It is more like a dilute ale than any macro light. Well done and one that I could recommend to my Coors and Bud light friends.

11-21-2007 06:15:39 | More by dnichols
montageman

3.93/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

While this is by no means my favorite beer, this is by far the best widely available light beer I've tried. The look, smell, & taste are totally decent when the style is considered. The carbonation is a light heavy, but that is the case for most light beers. Overall, an easy drinking light beer that can be paired with just about anything, I'd imagined. Recommended.

11-19-2007 04:34:04 | More by montageman
calebmills

West Virginia

3.23/5  rDev -0.9%

tastes really malty has a dark color for light beer and i really wouldnt want to sit down and just drink one for the taste. my second to least favorite sam adams style. good for a light beer but if you want a good sam adams go elsewhere but an above average light beer thats for sure.

11-18-2007 03:46:54 | More by calebmills
Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)