Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros
3.03/5  rDev -7.1%

In my opinion this is the best light beer on the market. Sometimes I actually think I'm drinking a regular beer.

The appearance is what does it for me. The rich amber color with a light but nicely colored head. It also smells way better then any other light beer. I think these two characteristics are easier to improve in a light beer without increasing calories. Nicely done.

The taste is OK. It still has that light beer after taste.

The mouthfeel is good for a light beer. Thick enough to seem like it has extra calories.

The drinkability of this beer is amazing. Not paying attention, I easily finished a whole one while writing this review.

3.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks to Tenderbranson69 for sharing this w/ me.
Poured cold into a tumbler
A - A full 3 finger crown of white and clear amber body

S - Light malt odors w/ slight adjunct scent

M - Mild carbonation w/ hints of malt. A generally light feel w/ out hop effect of any sort. Cereal graininess gives this a light dry aspect.

T - A grainy malt flavor w/ gentle herbal notes and tinges of barley. Light adjunct sweetness - basically a lighter version of an amber lager. This is still a flavorful beer somewhat, and still just shy of 'real taste'

D - Probably just passable for a drinkable beer, but very good for a 'light' beer. I would have given it a higher taste rating, but it is just missing something. Maybe the calories I am used to, but more likely hops and the lack of adjunct flavor. If I had to choose between all lights, though, this would probably be the best bet.

3.55/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Amber! Thin head that goes down quickly.

S: Grainy with a lttle spiciness.

T: A little thin and watery, but awesome for a light. Mostly malt with a hint of hops on the finish. Very crisp.

M: Light and crisp.

D: Perfection. Very easy to drink.

Overall: This is one kickass Light. I follow the rules and judge within the beer's respective category. That's why my score is so high. If I was comparing this to a Vienna, then it would score low, but for a Light, it is phenominal. It is very drinkable, while still pretty tasty. This would be perfect for football games and hot summer days. There is one catch....it's not that light. It's pretty much got the same calories and carbs as a regular Bud. Don't drink this if you are on some kind of diet (that what Mic Ultra is for). This stuff is just lighter than the other Sam Offerings.

2.95/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a glass mug

A: Clear, light amber color with bright white head with lace

S: Grainy with some floral aromas.

T: Malty with a fine clean hops finish. I'm not sure I'd call this a lager -- it's kind of like Boston Lager in that it's somewhere between a lager and APA.

M: Crisp and clean with high amount of carbonation.

D: A little ethereal but, for a light beer, is pleasant enough to consume.

3.33/5  rDev +2.1%

On-tap at Charlie Waterfront Cafe.

Amber color with a thin but sticky white lace. Carbonation is very active.

Smells of grain and malts.

Very light on the tongue. Malty sweetness with grain notes and a smooth creamy palate. Background metallic caramel flavors. Hops finish it with a mild grain flavor. Not bad for a "light beer".

Not something I that would buy normally. I mean it really isn't a light beer, and I really don't buy light beers. But it still is very enjoyable.

3.85/5  rDev +18.1%

I hate to do this for a light beer, but I have never tasted anything like it in the category. It pours amber- who ever heard of that for a light beer? It has great a great malted barley flavor that finishes clean and light. It fools you into thinking that you are drinking a much more substantial beer. There is a great depth of flavor and crispness which almost never go hand-in-hand. Light beers are considered a joke, but don't laugh at this one- just smile.

3.65/5  rDev +12%

Poured into pilsner glass. Poured amber not piss yellow like most light beers. Actually has malty flavor that is very smooth with no aftertaste. If I was ranking this just against other light beers, this would have gotten much higher rating, but I’m rating it among all beers. Definitely not a lighter version of the Boston Lager, tastes totally different.

3.3/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle. Best before Oct. ’07

Dark golden with a fleeting off white head.

Light caramel malt aroma, slightly sweet.

Flavor is bready malts with a light metallic finish.

Body is a little thin, but it is a light beer so it is expected. Actually it was really good for a light beer.

3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

ok first off i am not a lover of light beer. with that being said this is some damn fine light beer. ;pours nicely with nice head and carbonation. light color as expected. nice tasting beer more taste than just about any light beer around.

if you are watching your calories this is a great choice.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

okay, no one here honestly enjoys light beers but this one has to be the best I have tried for one main reason . . . flavor. almost like its big brother, a touch of toasted malts. very drinkable and refreshing. great lawnmower beer or at a ballgame. what a light beer

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I like Sam Adams Boston Lager. This tastes like a three-quarters stregnth Sam Adams. It may be slightly watered down but it's better than any LIGHT beer I've ever tasted. It's kind of hard to understand why it's considered a light beer. This beer is better than most regular beers. The color is more dark and gold than any typical type dometic beer. It smells better. It tastes better... Shit. It abides by Reinheitsgebot for Christ's sake. I guess the ingredients have a lot to do with it. No corn or rice, Budweiser. Just good pure beer.

3.86/5  rDev +18.4%

Certainly the best light beer I've ever had, and the only one I'd drink happily when there are other options available.

The color is a medium amber, and its appearance could easily fool you into thinking this was an amber style brew. The only hint that its appearance gives about the beer's true identity is the lack of lacing and minimal head.

The taste and especially mouthfeel are definitely on the thin side, but not too far over the line. The taste has some nice complexity, with a good, bready malt base and even some minor spicy notes. There are none of the off flavors that many other light (or lite) beers have. It even has a bit of a grainy smell. (Most light beers smell like chemicals to me.)

I have no idea what the calorie or carb count of this brew is, and I don't care. It's damn good beer.

3.8/5  rDev +16.6%

In a pilsner glass it's body is a clear, sparkling, light amber with a thin head of white.

It has a grainy pale malt smell, it sorta reminds me of a Kölsch.

Thats also the main player when it comes to taste, but theres this buttery sweetness on the finish too. It's really very good for it's style.

Very light mouthfeel, crisp and easy drinking. It's an easy beer to spend the day with.

3.6/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 ounce bottle. Served in the "new" Sam Adams Lager pint glass, the beer pours a gold/amber color with an inch white head. It's darker than any other light beer I've ever seen. The beer smells like grain, honey and caramel. It's a sweet smelling beer. It tastes the same way, but there's also a little bit of a metallic taste. Even then, there's still more flavor compared to most (if not all) light beers. Mouthfeel is light, but it's also crisp and clean. Drinkability is good too, it's not hard to drink at all. Overall, this is by far the best "light" beer I've ever had. I don't drink light beer too often, but if I made it a point to get one this would be the one to buy.

3.62/5  rDev +11%

This is a GREAT beer. Sam Adams is the primiere brewer in America. They have really saved the classic beer taste from the Mega-Brewers. I always drink Sam Adams Lager if it is on tap. Sometimes (when I am feeling "not so fresh") I will drink the Light version...it has the same great color and taste as its big brother. I have only found a few places with it on tap.

3.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Good Light Beer seems to be an oxymoron...but after having heard this was the best of the US lights, I figured WTF...

The head is thick and sizzling, minimizing slowly to a thin layer on top that stays for the duration. The burnt copper color is easily the darkest light beer I've ever seen, and has remarkable clarity.

Grainy smell, clean but conservative, with a mild caramel accent.

Mouthfeel is thin...close to watery but just buttery enough to pull it through. The flavor is very much titled toward the malt, bringing to mind caramel and toasted biscuit, with just a hint of hops near the end of the sip. A mild and easygoing overall character. Some plastic in the aftertaste.

For the style, it absolutely mangles the competition. But it can't escape that beer-flavored-water vibe that light beers will probably always be cursed with. There's just no reason to drink light beer. There are better session beers if you want to keep it low-alcohol. And if I wanted to lose some pounds, I'd get off my ass and exercise and keep drinking the kick-ass high-calorie beers. This is not an area of my life I want to compromise, but Jim Koch gets my support for offering light-beeraholics something that actually provides a modicum of flavor.

3.68/5  rDev +12.9%

Part of the SA Brewmaster Collection summer-pac. The 12oz bottle's label bore a "best before" date of 10/07.
Appearance: clear light copper color. Rather short-lived bubbly white head that left scant lace behind. Still, way ahead of most other light lagers.
Smell: for the style, a nice malty note with a slight caramel edge. Hops notes were few and ghostly for the nose to pick up on.
Taste: surprisingly robust malt profile; a bit of the hayfield with that same caramel edge as in the smell. Vague hops bite in the finish but almost nothing more than an afterthought.
Feel: refreshing, well-carbonated, light but not too-light in body.
Drinkability: at 4.00%, definitely a session brew. Sam Adams Light has a lot more to it than any other light lagers that have chanced to get down my gullet. This is a fine golf course brew that has good flavor and doesn't interfere with your play. I'd have this again, no problem.

3.68/5  rDev +12.9%

It would be easy to just say amber and malty, as that's written on the bottle. But it's true so I'll say it. This is probably the best mouthfeel and darkest color of any light lager I've tried. And the flavor is maltier than light lagers normally are too, usually I get a somewhat bitter and metallic edge to the after-taste which leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But Sam Adams light doesn't do that.

Auburn color and crystal clear, with a thin white head (big-celled foam) which dissipates too quickly. The aroma is faint but malty, and the flavor's the same. Very drinkable for the style. I normally wouldn't try it but a friend left it at my house after a poker game. Waste not want not.

3.93/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.

A: Nearly as dark (if not as dark) as the Boston Lager. Without a doubt, the darkest, most full bodied looking "light" beer I have ever seen. Beautiful golden amber color, awesome amount of head, substanital lacing left on the glass as it's being consumed. Hell, this beer's appearence would be very good for any brew.

S: Nose of this brew is a very mild caramel sweetness with a little toffee and apricot smell as well.

T & M: Starts off with mild caramel notes and then the mild fruity (mostly apricot) flavors kick in. Hops are very mild in this brew compared to anything else the BBC puts out, but that is to be expected with the style. Unlike other light beers, you can actually taste some hope flavor, as it's pleasant and mildy spicy. Mouthfeel is good for the style, not watery, but defenitely thin enough to keep it refreshing.

D: Light beer? Yeah right! Pour this brew into a glass and don't tell a guy who only drinks Bud Light what this stuff is, and I would be willing to bet he would go "This stuff looks dark and tastes kind of strong". The only thing that makes this brew similar to other light beers is the fairly low ABV. After that, all similarities to any other light American beer stop there. All of that being said, I am normally not a light beer drinker, but this one is actually something that is fairly enjoyable. For the style, I would say it's nearly the perfect brew. On a hot day, the thinner mouthfeel and milder flavors of this brew are actually very good.

1.69/5  rDev -48.2%

Don't believe the hype! After the commercials and wearing the Sam Adams label, I really expected better from this beer. While I know this beer is not made with adjuncts, it had an unpleasant corny/grainy taste that I assoicated with some of the Mexican imports, like Sol. It was not horrible, with more color than other light beers, but if I were to pick-up a light beer, I'd be much happier drinking a Miller Lite than with a Sam Light.

4.06/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Clear copper with two fingers of head and decent retention

Smell: Soft; grainy and a little metallic

Taste: Malty and a little metallic

Mouthfeel: Very crisp, this feels quite nice going down a slightly weak finish though

Drinkability: Very easy to drink

Note: I rated this high because as far as light beers go I think that this is the best that I've ever had (which isn't saying much), but I wouldn't drink this if a (decent) non-light alternative were available to me (I wouldn't be drinking it now but four of them came in my summer sampler case).

3.8/5  rDev +16.6%

a: clear light golden color with about an eigth inch of head that dissapears fast leaving little lacing, fairly typical given style
s: like other Sam beer the malt flavor is much more present than the hop aroma
t: kind of a fruity flavor, very nice that there is flavor in a light, the hop taste is noticeable as is the malt flavor
m: light bodied with a little more than average carbonation

overall for a light beer this is amazing, theres flavor and some body, my light lager of choice...if I ever decide i need one, I got this in a beers of summer sample pack

2.56/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a light amber with a creamy head and scattered lacing patterns. I smell toasty, caramel malts, faint noble hops and a touch of alcohol, which is odd. Some graininess pops up as well. Flavor is metallic, grainy and with too much caramel. Like drinking a popcorn ball. Has a Sweet 'n' Low feel to the sweetness. Mouthfeel is extremely light, seemingly lighter than most light beers as the carbonation is so meek. I'll finish this, I guess. If I want a light beer, I'll stick with Shiner Light, which is actually pretty decent.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours a medium off white head, almos totally dissapates and leaves little tracing, golden color.

Smell- Slightly fruity with hints of honey and caramel, not too hoppy.

Taste- Tastes seems dull compared to the smell, hints of honey and yeast, but only hints, slightly bitter at end.

Mouthfeel- Clean on palate.

Drinkability- Overall a very drinkable beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

this is a small version of the boston lager, identical in every way, just smaller. in the glass next to the boston lager i couldn't see any difference in the appearance. same nose, just not as strong. floral, vegetal hop aromatics and hints of caramel. some breadiness in there as well. taste is almost bone dry. more lightly hopped than it's counterpart, but the same kind of hops. finish is crisp and shorter than the aforementioned. at this abv drinkability is good. hands down the best beer i've ever had with the word "light" in the name.

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)