Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev +8.3%

I really don't think this is a light beer, maybe only in comparison to SA's Boston Lager. The color is entirely too dark for a light beer, and the aroma actually contains malt smell. Taste is initially full and grainy, with a nice lightly malty finish. Thankfully no hint of adjunct tastes are present. This is a very easy-to-drink beer that blows anything else labeled "light" out of the water. I would pick this up when I just want a "easy" beer to kick back with.

Gagnonsux, Dec 04, 2004
2.6/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

From the winter sampler pack, because when I think of winter, I think light beer. Pours a golden orange with minimal (ie no) head. Nose is of sweet malt with little or no hop aroma. Nothing too amazing here but at least I could smell something! Taste is like a Boston lager only without the hops and a small addition of malt. Finishes sweet. Watery mouthfeel. For me it's not too pleasurable to drink. But if for some reason I could only drink beer with "light" on the label this would probably be it.

soper2000, Dec 01, 2004
3.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Twelve ounce brown bottle. Best by month notched on label.

Pale watery amber colour. Topped by a thin white head, that leaves some patchy lace behind.

Grassy hop notes are backed up by some grainy sort of aromas.

Pleasantly malty & biscuity. Straight forward & clean, ending dry with some grassy / herbal hop flavours. Light bodied, prickly carbonation. A light beer that actually tastes like something.

xgrigorix, Nov 29, 2004
2.38/5  rDev -27%

My thoughts: light beer is only meant for college kids who want to drink it for hours and hours and still be able to stumble home, even if they wont remember it. So I dont buy light beers for their taste, mainly for drinking contests. But that goes against the philosophy here at BA, so ill review it like its a normal beer.

Darker golden color, good sized white foam head on the top. Weak grain malt scent, not very appealing. Tastes like watery cherios with a slight hint of hops. Thin mouth. Drink the two that come with your holiday sampler and then go for the keystone light if you want a light beer. Yuck.

Tballz420, Nov 27, 2004
3.28/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this one from the Holiday 12 Pack. I never drink light beer, but, since it was there and I was full from Thanksgiving dinner, I decided to give it a try.

Pours out a pale amber color that is clear and fully carbonated. A thick white head results from the pour, leaving a good amount of sticky lace.

The aroma is much like an American macro-vinegary smell that comes from the addition of adjucts. The taste is a little better, but there is not much there. Kind of watered down with very little malt or hop taste. This is much better than any other light I have tasted, but, I stick to the real thing.

abcsofbeer, Nov 27, 2004
3.2/5  rDev -1.8%

Came as part of the Winter Classics Holiday 12 pack (I'd have never purchased this in its own right!).

Pours out a very light copper with a tiny little head that almost instantly disappears. Very clear appearance. Weak aroma that faintly reminds of Boston Lager if you concentrate extremely hard. Otherwise, not much there. Taste is pretty typical of the style - overcarbonated, riddled with adjunct off-flavors, and not particularly good. However, to compare this against others in the style, it is actually a bright point. The slightly higher than average score I've awarded this offering is to mark that it is slightly better than the average BMC Light. That said, this is definitely in the same class as a BMC Light... Mouthfeel is thin and overcarbonated. Drinkability is comparable with that of other offerings in the style. This is not a beer I consider "good" in any way, but when compared against other offerings in the style, its not terrible. I'd say it might make a bridge with the macro crowd to hopefully eventually open someone up to the world of better beer. This however would have to be the very first step, and a long road would be ahead before anyone tried a truly class-act!

niknar, Nov 25, 2004
3.45/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I got this in the Winter Classics 12 pack. I have seen this many times, but never picked it up. Curious to see where this stands next to other light beers in the market.

I had it of a 12 oz brown bottle and served in a British imperial pint glass. Freshness date notched for February 2005 on the side of the label.

Pours a light amber color. Nice head on top, but disappears quickly.

Aroma smells like caramel and grains.

Taste has a light caramel sweetness. Grainy and carbonated finish.

A unique take on a light beer after the cliche marco light offering. If I was faced with only light beers as an option, I would go with the Sam Adams Light. Not the most flavorful beer, but the malt profile in this beer is re assuring.

Hibernator, Nov 20, 2004
2.95/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance: clear, faded amber hue, slight carbonation, Slim white foam.
Aroma: small, but pleasant, slightly vegetal, herbal, grassy, a faint, shadow of hops.
Taste: hey, there is some! Can't say that about other light beers, not many of them, any way. Nice, if spare, malty bottom, pleasing coppery feel on the palate. Light body, naturally, with a tidy little finish. Not a bad beer at all, compared to the competition.
When this first exploded on the market, the ads were stocked with actors from the Tex Avery School of Drama, all bugged-out eyes, jaws dropped, tongue rolling on the floor, smashing their heads with mallets at the utter amazingness of the flavor. It's a matter of scale, I suppose. If I knew nothing but the other light beers on the market, I'd react the same way.
(Received as part of the current holiday 12-pack. I probably wouldn't have found myself with one, otherwise.)

feloniousmonk, Nov 19, 2004

Judging this beer solely as a light lager... WOW! This would give a lot of "full" lagers a run for their money. It has a malty backbone and decent hop character. I have never had a light beer that I have liked, including the much loved Amstel. I am not a light beer drinker, but if I was this would be my beer.

RushLimbmalt, Nov 16, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +18.1%

Copperish red body, big rocky white head, decent retention and lace low/moderate carbonation.
Light slightly spiced flavor and scent. Malts are clearly stronger than the hops. Not much aftertaste or body. Some hay, bread and mustyness.
Better than most light beers and better than most regular swill beers. Judged against most beers this one gets it's ass kicked but for a light brew it is good.

-Oelergud

oelergud, Nov 13, 2004
3.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Again... this is part of the price of the Samuel Adams Winter Classics case. To get the other goodies, you have to put up with 4 of these and 4 of the Cranberry Lambics, too!

Pours golden-amber with a large white head. This lacks the hoppy aroma of Boston Lager, there is a little hop aroma in there, but not much. Taste is not bad, really. Much like a watered-down SA Boston Lager (surprise!) Malt and grain flavors up front, a little hop bitterness on the finish (very little!) Mouthfeel is light-beer watery. This is probably a better choice than any other Light beer, and also better than many non-light macros! I'd drink it over a Bud or Coors any day!

jimdkc, Nov 09, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -11%

Ho-hum, another light beer. Who came up with that idea, anyhow? Like some of the other reviewers, I got this beer as part of the Winter Classics collection, and I wish Boston Beer would drop this and the Cranberry Lambic from the group, and give us four sixpacks of the remaining brews. Sam Adams Light is drinkable, but nothing to write home about. Honey-orange color; light, frothy head that dies in 30 seconds. Smells faintly "cardboardy". Taste is bland, neither hoppy nor malty. Leaves a slightly greasy aftertaste. Not awful, but I wouldn't buy it on its own merits.

DFN, Nov 02, 2004

Pours a not-so-light amber color. Smells like a macro (corn I believe). Tastes not at all like your daddy's light beer swill. It's actually not that bad, surprisingly. This might be a good choice for those buds who refuse to drink anything other than Coors Light.

skybluewater, Oct 14, 2004
3.08/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a Golden-orange hue with a lite head that dissipates rather quickly leaving very little lace around the glass. The smell is that of a watered down SA Boston Lager, but little is left to really capture. The taste is better than any light beer I have ever tried and tasted better than any of the regular Macro brews from the "Big 3," a little bit sweet though.

Has a slight malty bite that quickly disappears due to the carbonation but leaves a decent aftertaste for a light beer. The mouthfeel is that of carbonated water, but less acidic, similar to most non-light lagers.

I'm not a light beer drinker but I could see this as being more drinkable than the watered down, tasteless Macro lights anyday. For a light beer, Sam Adams has managed to pull off a decent entry to the market and I may consider it if I can't find a decent Kolsch during the hot summer months.

KoG, Sep 19, 2004
2.4/5  rDev -26.4%

Sam Adam's Light

Appearance- light caramel brown with a modest head.
Smell- very sweet malt and grassy hops.
Taste- very watery and sweet.Light malt but not much else.
Mouthfeel- Watery and sugery sweet.

Overall- not a very good beer. Too sweet! I could drink it if I HAD too but I would never purchase this beer!

NJpadreFan, Sep 17, 2004
2.48/5  rDev -23.9%

Clean golden, leaned slightly towards amber. The head is white, compacted and fleeting.
Nose of grain and unsweetened breakfast cereal. Traces of grass and hay, and that odorless, seltzer fizz that light beer seems to always possess.
Grainy on the start, and lightly so. Starts to edge towards caramel but is stopped short by the carbonation and natural reductionism of this type of brew. Vapid and vacant through the midsection. Hopping adds very little on the end. No bitterness, no flavor.
Pale and fizzy in the mouth.
This is not discernibly better than many a macro version.

cokes, Aug 24, 2004
2.65/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Why do I buy beer like this? It's the curiosity factor I suppose. I want to see if a good brewery can make a flavorful light beer that surpasses the light beers brewed by BMC. Since the bar has been set laughably low, my guess in this particular case is 'yes'.

Medium amberish orange with a modest amount of suspended stuff. Sam Adams Light is much darker and richer looking than most other light/lite beers and looks better as a result. The pale beige head is a little soft, but at least it hangs around for more than a few minutes. Unfortunately, very little lace ends up on the glass.

The nose is much too weak. I detect faint notes of lightly toasted malt with grain-like overtones. The fact that there's no trace of offensiveness puts it far ahead of its macro peers. Like the nose, the flavor is underwhelming, but I guess that's to be expected in a light lager. It's next to impossible to have both kick-ass taste *and* low calories/carbs.

There's not enough malt in this here beer. In fact, there's not enough of anything except water. The flavor is lightly malty with a slight hop bitterness and very little hop flavor. Again, it isn't offensive, but it doesn't taste all that good either. The body is thin, barely avoiding watery.

Sam Adams Light reminds me why I don't drink light beer. It doesn't have enough 'beerness' to capture my fancy and, besides, diet beer just strikes me as wrong. Acceptable if no real beer is available.

BuckeyeNation, Aug 20, 2004
2.6/5  rDev -20.2%

This beer from Sam adams is a pleasent choice for light beer drinkers, but for a BA, it's not worth my time.

Pours a copper color, with little head.

Smell is astringent, with some lager yeast off products very apparent.

Taste is better, with some of the off flavors from the yeast hidden under a mild, but noticiable hopping and simple sweetness.

Easy to drink and better tasting than most light beers. Still, the question begs for a BA, why?

Char

Charthepirate, Aug 15, 2004

My mom had this beer and I had one before and did not think anything about it, so with BA in mind I tried it again.

It appeared average for a light beer, but I expected no less. It seemed like any other beer and smelled the same. While I haven't tried any light beer since Natty, I could give this one an average rating compared with "non-lights".

It had no real stong flavor, yes there were notes of better beers there, also notes of alcohol , but otherwise, it's very average. It's a better taste for light beer drinkers, but for the $$$/Flavor , I'd go for Goose Island or regular Sammy flavors.

Mouth and Drinkability also average.

Ricochet, Aug 03, 2004
3.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice medium copper color with a good head and nice lace.
Smell of malt with a hint of hops. Taste is good, as light beers go. Its a light version af Sam Adams Boston lager. A bit less hoppier and not as heavy. Clean, clear and refreshing. A great summer beer. I always keep some in my fridge during the warm months. It is very easy drinking and leaves a nice aftertaste. As light beers go this is the best I have had, but I have not had that many.

sabrills70, Aug 03, 2004
3.6/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Just as it was meant to be, just a lighter version of SA Boston Lager. The smell is crisp and malty. Taste is slightly sweet, yet 'light'. Its a little bit weaker and easier to drink. I get a six pack every now and then meaning its a little above average.

rockdick, Jul 26, 2004
3.2/5  rDev -1.8%

Off white head settling over clear and gently carbonated light amber liquid. Light sweet malt nose with grassy elements within, I can't detect any hop whatsoever. Smooth weak maltiness, somewhat watery taste going on. Finishes bland and without much character...thank God I don't have to drink this on a regular basis. It is what is is...light.

beerluvr, Jul 23, 2004
3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Paid $13.99 as part of the "Brewmaster's Collection" 12-pack.

The apperence deserves some light beer award, it's got a nice dark color for a light beer, but no retention and though however some nice lacing, all-in-all good stuff... The aroma is a alright, it's a little hoppy in the nose!

The taste, pretty average, it's definately a Sam Adams, watered down about 20-25%, so I can live with it. Mouthfeel and Drinkability don't change from the original, good from the movement of the glass, down the throat, and in my tummy, yummy...

Final Thought: It's damn good from a light beer standpoint, but it's pretty average from a beer standpoint!

mobyfann, Jul 19, 2004
3.6/5  rDev +10.4%

This pours a medium amber color, much darker than typical lights. About a two finger head here. Lasted a while with decent retention and lacing.

The smell is maltier than even most 'non-lights'. More character than usual.

This follows on to the taste as well. Very malty. No hop bite or bitterness at all. But a decent taste which for this style is saying something.

The mouthfeel is kind of watery but with no bitterness it does go down very smooth.

Weirdly, compared to other lights, this isn't quite as drinkable since it has the malty taste. Still, if someone had this or macros in the fridge I'd could drink them for a night.

DPMomutant, Jul 13, 2004
3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

I've been intrigued by this light beer for some time since I'm like Sam Adams 'regular.' Finding it on sale helped me decide to try it and, I must say, for a light beer, it isn't bad. It isn't great, either, but if I had to choose only from a selection of light beers, I'd probably go to this one.

Like Sam Adams non-light, it pours well out of the bottle with not too much head. The light amber color is a good sign that it is different than most light beers and had some body in its aroma. The taste comes close to what the brewer is trying to imitate but something is missing. It doesn't quite have the character I want in a beer. While not bad for a beer and quite good for a light beer, it didn't do anything to make me declare it a beer that will make it into my regular purchases. After finishing off the six-pack, I didn't anticipate buying it again on my next trip to the store.

misterscooter, Jul 12, 2004
Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)