Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros
3.41/5  rDev +4.6%

Presentation: 12 ounce standard brown glass bottle with a “Sam Adams” embossed shoulder. Classic Sam Adams label design with a light silver colored background. ‘Sam Adams’ in dark blue lettering above a red banner that has the words ‘LIGHT’ in a silvery gray color. Looks slightly different to the bottle pictured in the BA Database. Crown cap and neck label is color coordinated with the main label. No strength listed but it has a prominently nicked purchase before “Nov 2006” Brewery-Fresh date.

Appearance: Sturdy looks, fresh copper body when not back lit but closer examination reveals a light amber body, either it is very much darker than I expected. Dirty white head leaves a great looking ½” thick beige cap that leaves some smattered lacing on the walls of my Glass. I actually dunked two 12 ounce bottles into my large 24 ounce Mug, and it looked damn fine.

Nose: Clean malts, some grain and a low brow hoppy tone. Gentle yeast with a dried hay body. The strength is medium but the simple schnozzle does more than enough to maintain interest and convince you that this may not even be a Light beer. Could be better though.

Taste: Two tone body, sweet-ish malts with a light bitterness and a little more sweetness in the finish. Carbonation helps to get the tastes that are here to all the nooks and crannies. Fulfilling, in a not-so Light way.

Mouthfeel: A very clean brew, brisk malts and soft carbonation give this one a well above average feel in the mouth for a light beer at least. Satisfying body with a medium-plus composition.

Drinkability: This is a damn fine Light beer, and one that I could drink all night with little hassle. If anything the flavors may become a tad staid after the first Six-Pack, but nothing but praise from me for this, this is in fact the *only* Light beer that I have ever grabbed a second bottle of.

Overall: Quietly impressive, hard to get too excited about this brew, as Light beer is not one of my favorite “genre styles”, I like some “balls” in my beer. That said, this is no disappointment either, in fact given this in a blind tasting I will freely admit that, if I had not tried this before, I would have never thought it was a Light beer at all, to me it is more of a Mild Ale than a Light Beer.

The darkest, tastiest, heaviest “Light” beer that I have ever had. Great stuff from SamA’s and a beer that could well push boundaries and open up new frontiers for many a fledgling craft beer drinker; it has to be applauded for that alone. Well crafted and cleverly constructed.

3.57/5  rDev +9.5%

Moderately vigorous pour produces a large off-white head that quickly fades and leaves minimal lacing over a clear amber body. Decent looking beer for a light lager.

Smell is remarkably malty and relatively intense for an l.l.

Taste falls off a bit, but still good. Not very hoppy or very malty, but pretty pleasant.

Mouthfeel is where this brew suffers: it's really just pretty thin.

If you like the taste -- and I do -- you could drink a lot of these.

Overall, a pretty decent beer, for a light lager. Still, this is not a stand-alone brew: it goes great with food.

3.68/5  rDev +12.9%

Unbelievable light beer. This beer is in a class of its own. Sets the bar for all other light beers. Light copper color with a white head. Good hoppy aroma, sweet maltiness, and traces of wheat and corn. Taste is outstanding considering it is a light beer. Nice carbonation, with a nice crisp finish. Good body. Very drinkable. Every other beer maker is now playing catch up with this beer.

4.13/5  rDev +26.7%

Pours a light and clear golden color with an amber hue. Fizzy head dies down quickly as usual for a light lager.

Smell is much better than any other light lager I have tried. I can actually smell malty grain and slight hoppiness.

Body is light and taste is pretty good for a light beer. Crackery grainy malts and a subtle hop spicyness. Nice dry finish.

I don't understand how this beer gets a "not recommended" status and a low average rating when it is obviously one of the best light lagers in the world. I don't think people take any account for style which is too bad since this beer deserves a bit more respect.

3.96/5  rDev +21.5%

Perfectly clear and amber in color. Minimal white head over the brew. The rich hop smell is slightly sweet. Flavors are slightly sour but incredibly smooth. Settles onto the tongue with plenty of character. Finish is smooth with only a mild aftertaste.

3.76/5  rDev +15.3%

Now let me start off by saying that I am not at all a fan of American macro light lagers at all. Read the reviews I have posted of ones I have already had the unpleasureable experience of drinking and you'll quickly know why. Fortunately, this beer is a totally different story from those ones. Even though it is a light lager, I have yet to be let down by Sam Adams so I didn't think this beer could possibly be half bad to begin with even before cracking it open. Had a bottle of this at a family get together yesterday. This beer pours a clear, deep golden amber color with anice big head that shrinks considerably 5 minutes after pouring, but stays a good 1/4 inch thick right down to the last sip while leaving some nice lacing on the way down. Aromas of malt, grains, and some fruityness ensue. A somewhat sweet taste of bread, malt, with a touch of spice. It has a clean, smooth creamy mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. It goes down easy and I find it to be quite drinkable. I would never have guessed this was a light lager if it hadn't said so on the bottle's label. I have finally found an American light lager that I enjoy. Cheers!

Eric

A - Deep golden in color, frothy head initially which lacked retention.

S - Malt/Bread

T - Malt sweetness rushes over the palate, and tastes pretty good. Only complain is the astringentness at the end on the palate. Slightly metallic.

M - Light mouthfeel, rich creaminess, and dry finish.

D - Good drinkability for those on the "light" diet. As it's on of the better lights.

If light beers are your thing, this is one of the better ones. Give it a shot.

3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz bottle.
Best before September 2006.
119 calories. Is that a lot? I honestly don't know.

Doesn't look too bad for a light beer.. Clear gold color, fairly small head on this one. Aroma is some faint sweet malts and definitely some hops thrown in also. The taste really has more hops than expected, with a definite Noble hop bite. Despite the rich toasted malt flavor and caramel, it's a very crisp and refreshing brew. The body has some definite muscle to it as well. If I was doing a blind tasting, I honestly would be pretty surprised if someone told me this was a "light" beer.

Certainly one of the best light beers on the market that I've tried. If you're trying to cut down on the calories, this is definitely a viable option rather than cutting out beer completely.

3.18/5  rDev -2.5%

A - 1 1/4" off-white head that recedes in less than a minute to a cap. Deep golden beer with plenty of bubbles rising to the top.

S - Sweet malt. Adjunct aroma? Any hops are virtually undetectable.

T - Bready malt and a flash of sweetness mid-palate. Touch of spicy hops. Would have rated higher if not for a strange almost formaldehyde (sp?) like taste towards the end of a swig.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Finishes surprisingly dry.

D - Good drinkability. Far cry above normal domestic light lager. Pretty decent other than that one off flavor..

3.4/5  rDev +4.3%

What can you say? It is, afterall, a LIGHT beer. When the finest brewers in the universe attempt to make something LIGHT it's gonna get screwed up. BUT - if light is what you want then this is one of the very few (2) that is worth a drink...If taste is what you want don't drink LIGHT.

3.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The only reason I gave it a four, is because it is the best Light Lager I've drank. When poured, it was a medium golden in color with a slight reddish hue.

The smell of lightly roasted malts and hops was evident in the aroma. The flavor was a surprise. I tasted the mild malts and hops, but, I could also pick up a hint of citrus and it seemed like just a hint of corriander.

A fine balanced Light Lager you have here. For me a pleasant surprise on the flavor of this light lager!

3.45/5  rDev +5.8%

Tried this with a Sam Adams rep last night.

Pours a very light amber with very active carbonation. Nice head that faded quickly. Much more color than any other light beer that I have tasted. The nose is uninspiring. It has that very typical "beer" smell that is present in so many domestic macros, i.e. total lack of hops and odd grains. On the palate it is again unexciting, but certainly not offensive. Sweet grains to begin with and only the slightest hop presence in the finish. Oddly enough I thought that the alcohol was discernable on the palate. The mouthfeel is light but not watery. It has active enough carbonation that I knew there was a beer in my mouth. Impressive for a light beer. Given that it is a light beer the drinkability is fairly high. There is not much to it, so if you like the taste you could easily throw them down.
Overall it is the best light beer that I have ever encountered. Unfortunately that isn't saying a whole lot.

2.91/5  rDev -10.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: The color is fairly nice, a light amber/dark orange color. The head unfortunately goes away (almost entirely) rather quickly.

Smell: Grains, malts, hops, and fruit. But unfortunately it's got some rather nasty undertones that defy description.

Taste: Mostly grains and malts. Plus a bit of hops. Not really complex, but the flavor is nice and isn't watered down at all. Sometimes the aftertaste gets a bit of the nasty flavor that the smell has... this seems to increase over time, for some reason.

Mouthfeel: A light- to medium-bodied beer, to my surprise. Generally smooth feel. Tingly with carbonation, but a bit too much for my liking (makes it feel a bit gritty going down at times).

Drinkability: A fairly drinkable light beer. Goes down alright; low but sufficient ABV. Unfortunately the nastiness becomes a bit bothersome after a while.

One of the better light beers I've had -- it has flavor and body. Could definitely drink a lot of these with ease if it weren't for this inexplicable and indescribable nasty smell and taste. When you start, usually it's fine but with some sips it's a bit nasty. But then every sip begins to have this nasty aftertaste. I'd probably ignore this one unless someone offered it to me for free. Basically, if you really want a light beer, try this one. Otherwise, no need to bother...

3.37/5  rDev +3.4%

Goldish color with a thin head, which fizzled out quickly. If there is anything bad about this light beer it is the smell, it is quite repulsive. Luckily, it tastes much better and can be very refreshing. It is best served very cold and is a great beer to drink while watching a baseball game. When I settle down for the Met's game, this is a perfect partner.

3.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - goldish color, little head. not the typical light beer.

Smell - sweet smell to it, little hops, more malt

Taste - weak beer, but it is still good.

Mouthfeel - not much carbonation, very good.

Drinkability - since it is a light beer, you can drink more, right?

3.65/5  rDev +12%

Best before September 2006. Served in a pint glass at fridge temperature.

Appearance- Pours a clear medium gold, with a loud, popping white head that recedes gently to a thin mat. Surprisingly active in the glass, small bubbles rush to the surface.

Smell- Grains and malt primarily envelop the nose, what a nice change to not smell corn and vegetables in a light beer. Very clean and honest... great for the style.

Taste- Very watered down version of a great beer... you can grasp the malts and hops easily, and they're good... just fleeting and wimpy. The finish is over before it even starts, and it's a bit sweet. The hops do lend a bright, hoppy bitterness right at the end.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Though the carbonation is certainly more than adequate, it is borderline aggressive... the bubbles are knife-edged and sharp texturally. But more is better with this beer, and I enjoy the light but full mouthfeel. A bit gassy in the stomach, and after one I'm not thinking about following it up with another.

3.64/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours out a dark straw/orange with a white head.

Smell. All malts; nice sweet malts, small caramel aroma and a touch of tea.

Taste. Toasty malts and sweet. It has a nice flavor, especially for a light beer, but this is pretty much all it get in the taste. Aftertaste is about the same as the taste, nothing new.

Mouthfeel is good for a light beer, but is on the light side. Balance is ok, carbonation level is good.

Overall, a decent beer, and a very good light beer. Not one I would get often though- much rather get the lager.

3.58/5  rDev +9.8%

This is not bad for a light beer. Had one at the Norfolk Tides game at Harbor Park. Nice copper color, a fairly good head, good lacing in the plastic cup. Decent smell and taste not too far off from Traditional Lager. The mouthfeel was a bit weak and watery. Given the choice, I prefer the higher calorie version but this would make a good session beer. No bad aftertaste or anything that I would find annoying over an evening.

3.06/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice dark copper hue with a finger of foamy head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell was very subtle. There were minor malt and hop aromas. A bit of a grainy element.

The taste had a light malt sweetness and a decent hop presence. It was well balanced. There was a definite biscuity aftertaste. Really nothing to write home about. Tastes a bit like a low end micro effort. Pocono lager comes to mind.

The mouthfeel was rather light, but not thin. Very carbonated.

This is a drinkable beer. However, since in terms of calories it isn't really a light beer, I really would not opt for this beer again. For 40 more calories I'd go for the Boston Lager.

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

12oz bottle, consumed numerous times.

This is a very good light beer. It truly is a lighter version of Sam Adams Boston Lager, in the way it drinks and tastes. There is a nice caramelly maltiness with a little hop bite. The body is thin, but it is decently full-bodied for a light beer. While I could drink this beer all night, the thiness gets tiresome, the metallic after taste starts to catch up.

4.62/5  rDev +41.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just got home from the bar where i sample various beers. I cleansed my pallet before each.
Sam Adam's light had a great smell for a light beer.
My first sip on my tongue and I said hmmm, not impressed ( I run over all of my taste buds). then when I went to swallow I was surprised (it hit the back ones). It tastes like regular sam adams but with less of a bite. A little more watery. But tthat slides for light beers.
However, I wouldn't suggest this beer, just go for sam Adams. The carbs and calories are still high, which makes drinking it pointless.
Overall this beer is excellent especialy for a light beer. I rated other beers that aren't as good as this higher. I thnk for what this is going for, I believe a vienna lager type beer, it could do a little bit better. But then again, it is a light beer.

2.63/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from the 12 oz. brown bottle into my straight sided tumbler.
One inch head dissolves down to a nice brussels lace. An amber color which is quite dark for a light beer. Very little aroma of any kind, detecting a very slight malt aroma. With a bit of aeration, a slight hop aroma can be detected. Taste is of malt with a bit more hop flavor than aroma. There are no off aromas of corn or rice, which is a pleasant change. Mouthfeel is average, as is the drinkability. Here is a sessionable beer for a day at the lake or while doing chores in the summer heat.

barleyman

2.58/5  rDev -20.9%

First time for me trying this beer. Overall, I'm not very impressed. Of course, I wasn't expecting much from a light beer.

Pours a copper color with a half inch head.
Smells like a macro with a little less skunk.
Taste is better, however than any other light beer I've had before. Still, there's not much here as far as taste.
Goes down pretty easy.

3.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Highs: None
Lows: Compares poorly to the regular Sam Adams lager

Pours golden/amber clear with bubbles and a moderate head that fades away fairly quickly. Nose is of light hops and malt. Flavor is malty and overly sweet, with a diminished hops flavor compared to the orginal. Actually, there is no comparison to a regular Sam Adams Lager, which I consider to be one of the best lagers out there. It’s just too sweet/malty. Drinkability is average.

Overall: Avoid it and drink the original.

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance is light copper amber hued with a nicely formed off white foam head leaves even lacing down my pint. Aroma contains a touch of caramel in the malts with herbal hops showing up in the scent as well. Taste has a smooth mild sweetness, touch of caramel toasty nut from the the specialty malts finishes mildly bitter with herbal hops. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied evenly carbonated not watery but light. Drinkability is very smooth and refreshing with ample flavor one of the best tasting light beers available in the US market.

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)