Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros
beergeek279

Served in a 12 oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The color is copper, with a film of white head. The smell is a cerealy malt. The taste is a cereal-like maltiness with sweetness, and very little if any hoppiness. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, can't say I'd have another.

"Never a Sam Light", my ass. As far as light beers go, it's not bad, but it's not something I'd actively seek out. If I wanted light beer, maybe I'd have this one, but well...I'd probably give up beer first.

04-09-2004 02:49:28 | More by beergeek279
Southernbrew

Georgia

3.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Orange-amber with a decent bubbly head.

Mostly sweet malts in the nose with a little citrus. One of the more aromatic light beers I've had.

Thin body, bubbly carbonation. Weak flavor, light citrus with actual hops presence. No real aftertaste.

One of the best light beers but not something I'd buy.

03-27-2004 22:32:09 | More by Southernbrew
beertaster13

Washington

2.93/5  rDev -10.1%

Probably the best light beer on the market today. Pours a very dark brown with a nice frothy head that resides after about a minute, lacing is fair. The smell is that of boston lager, rather skunky with hints of hops and malts. The taste is ligh but still malty and refreshing. Feels crisp in the mouth. Drinkable if you like the light beers, still go for the original Boston Lager.

03-24-2004 22:46:54 | More by beertaster13
waughbrew

2.35/5  rDev -27.9%

Light copper/gold, nice looking white head with some retention. big bubbles. Pleasant but light spicy hop aroma overshadowed by empty graininess with some caramel. Some sweetness and a hint of butter. Flavor fails to avoid the vacuous taste of light beer. It can't hide the fact that there is stuff missing. An overall wateriness. That being said, the flavor that is there before it disappears is pretty nice with a thin carameliness and clean hop bitterness. Feel is thin.

Overall a step up from the macros in amount and quality of flavor, but I still wonder why anyone would buy this. I guess if you want to drink a ton of beer, like the taste a bit, and are not willing to exercise, then this would be a good choice. So far I am sticking to non-lights.

03-23-2004 02:26:33 | More by waughbrew
zerk

2.6/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a light copper with a quickly fading head. Aroma is a non-descript blend of caramel and some light herbal notes. Flavor begins slightly sweet, then somewhat acidic with some bread a herbal notes at the end. Mouthfeels is watery with low to medium carbonation. I find it hard to find much to say about this beer... it's just... well... boring.

03-03-2004 20:07:44 | More by zerk
Zorro

3.05/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a clear dark amber gold brew.

Smell is all malt and a bit sweet.

Taste is quite malty, but hops are lacking here, not bad for a light beer.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but thick enough to be called beer.

Real drinkable, if forced to drink light beer choose this.

02-25-2004 04:17:49 | More by Zorro
smcolw

2.13/5  rDev -34.7%

Crystal clear, light amber in color with a mediocre fast-fading head

Pale malt aroma with a touch of hop; very mild aroma

Thin and relatively flavorless, it's difficult to detect any real beer-like flavors.

With Light Beers dominating the conventional beer market, it's understandable that Boston Beer Co. would want to enter into the fray. And the like nationals, this beer is watered down, bland and non-descript. It will probably sell to the masses nicely. Personally, I preferred Sam's old Lightship.

02-21-2004 18:03:07 | More by smcolw
ark57

2.1/5  rDev -35.6%

I was given a Christmas sampler from Sam Adams this year, so I found myself with 2 Lights to drink. It has a pale golden color, though it is slightly darker than many other light beers. The aroma slightly sweet, but it is barley there. It has a light body and an ever so slight bitterness. It is fuller in body and hoppier than most other lights, but definitely not worth drinking

02-20-2004 13:18:26 | More by ark57
alexgash

2.65/5  rDev -18.7%

Dark straw body with a cottony white head. Smells of sweet cereal malts, with modest hops. Taste is pretty unremarkable--mostly subdued malt, accented by mild hops. I have to admit that this is way better than any other light beer I've ever had, but it's still a little lean and thin. If I want a 4% "light" beer, I'll stick to the Utah micros.

02-17-2004 00:31:50 | More by alexgash
vitesse

Georgia

2.13/5  rDev -34.7%

served in brown 12 oz. bottle.

i got this one in a mixed 12-pack and felt compelled to try it. pours an amber color with very very high clarity. head is way too fizzy. the beer's texture is just awful. super high carbonation and fizziness just ruins this for me. yeah there's a slight touch of carmelly malt flavor but it's not enough to mask the metallic finish and over-carbonated body. i understand that it's a light beer but i would actually prefer a pils style -- this one just didn't work and tasted way off balance. i'd recommend it maybe if someone only drank lite beers and wanted to taste a bit more malt, but c'mon -- that's not enough of a raison d'etre.

02-16-2004 15:45:03 | More by vitesse
necoadam

3.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Well, it is a light beer. But comparing to other light beers I must say it's quite good for a light beer. I like the apperance that it has on it. An amber color compared to others which have a very pale yellow. You can tell that this beer actually uses hops and malts in their beer, even though it's light. Smell was lightly hoppy and a touch of grain in there. Taste was...well light. Kinda watery compared to other beers out there. But it did have some taste to it. You can taste the malts at least. Hey, I got this beer for free, I won't complain, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to find this beer.

02-15-2004 01:29:15 | More by necoadam
BeefyMee

3.2/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: Light amber with a white head didn't stick around long.

Smell: Just a little bit of hops in the smell. Kind of like a SNPA.

Taste: About as average as you can get. The hoppiness disappears and is replaced by some breadiness, especially in the aftertaste. Basically, it's inoffensive but unimpressive.

Mouthfeel: Watery. This was the main problem I had with the beer. It seemed even more watery than most macros.

Drinkability: The beer's winning quality. You could put together a few sessions in a row with this stuff. That is, if you don't start getting more daring.

Beef Notes: The times I buy this will be few and far between, but it's not a bad beer. I'll gladly drink it if it's given to me. It would probably be quite refreshing in the summer as well.

02-07-2004 01:02:16 | More by BeefyMee
counselor

2.5/5  rDev -23.3%

What a below average beer (see numbers)! Pours a straw yellow with a quickly dissapearing head. Smell is sweet with no hop aroma. the flavors are pale, stale and boring. Some slight maltiness in the mouthfeel, but overall left me with nothing. No aftertaste to speak of, slightly dry finish. No body to this beer either. As a beer, it beats out the macros, barely. As a light beer, its about the same as Amstel?!?

01-29-2004 20:36:47 | More by counselor
JackTheRipper

4.22/5  rDev +29.4%

I got two of these in a sampler pack and will try to keep in mind reviewing it vs. other "light" beers.

Appearance: Poured a pale golden amber color, big fluffy head which is now just a thin layer of foam, no real lacing on my glass.

Smell: is a grainy, ever so slightly fruity smell.

Taste: a bit light in the taste department, but what I'm tasting is a mostly malty sweet flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than a Boston Lager, but with more body than any other light beer I've had (read: macro). Carbonation is good, alcohol is barely noticeable. I think if this had just a wee bit higher ABV, this would be better.

Drinkability&Notes: Kicks the tail feathers out of any other light beer I've had. That being said, though, I'm not sure I'd buy a whole case of these, but would definitely buy this if it was available in a pub before I would any other light. Quite nice, and my scores are putting this beer vs. the macro lights.

01-27-2004 22:39:21 | More by JackTheRipper
moulefrite

3.55/5  rDev +8.9%

No question an above average light lager. I tasted this blind as a panelist at the Beverage Tasting Institute here in Chicago. This was a mystery brew, and was used as a warm up to a morning of tasting and reviewing stouts and porters. There were 4 tasters and all of us pegged this for pretty much what it is. Albiet, we never would has guessed it to be a light beer. Most of us thought it to be a flavorful, malty session brew-I though it to be a Goose Island Product, flavorful, lighter in style and priced right. It was kind of marzen/Vienna in style-a simple yet well made malt driven brew. Much suprise when we removed the bag! All of us had to admit that this was an above average "light beer." Sometimes the label will fool us, and I bet I would have reviewed this lower had I seen it before tasting? Thanks BTI for another bit of beer education!!

01-20-2004 01:28:53 | More by moulefrite
benmiliron

2.98/5  rDev -8.6%

I'm drinking this after a full monster of La Fin Du Monde, so bear with me. A surprisingly decent brew from Sam Adams. Kind of what you'd expect, a watered down, less hoppy version of the original. But not bad if you're in to light beer but want a bit of flavor.

You could definitely pound the hell out of these all night too, which might save you from the macros if it's cheap enough.

01-08-2004 01:33:55 | More by benmiliron
BierManVA

3.15/5  rDev -3.4%

I must say this, "For a light bier, this is pretty good". This is not your typical watered down pisswater macro-light. This bier has good carbonation and color (not light), The smell is a little skunky but standard for the style. Tatse is light and smooth. Not a bier to write home about, but I could see it in a long session.

Certainly more flavorful than the macro lights on the st.

John

01-07-2004 01:18:57 | More by BierManVA
avylover

2.98/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours out a clear light copper color with a large white head. Aroma is fairly weak. there is a sort of sweat socks type aroma with perhaps a minor skunkiness. Taste is mainly of a sweetish creamy malt. Some slight caramel tastes, not much else here. Decent mouthfeel for a "light" beer, creamy. Fairly drinkable, but pretty boring.

01-06-2004 23:32:13 | More by avylover
WesWes

3.58/5  rDev +9.8%

The beer pours a nice golden color with a thick white head. The aroma is yeasty. It has the scent of pale malts and that musty lager aroma. The taste is light. There is a slight malt flavor. I would have to say that this has more taste than most light beers. The mouthfeel is good. It has a low body and good carbonation. This is a good light beer; a real good drinker with some flavor.

12-24-2003 01:21:38 | More by WesWes
EagleTalon

Oklahoma

3.28/5  rDev +0.6%

Boston Beer Co. has a done a good job of combining two disparate concepts "light beer" and "craft beer". It's not a terrible product. It has it's flaws but it is not something to be mistaken for a crappy beer. Pours to a white head that dissipates (oh well). Amber-gold color and lots of carbonation. Aroma is of sweet malt and grassy hops. Flavor is watery and malty with a grassy noble hop tang on the back end. Mouthfeel is best described as "mineral water"--kind of thin but chalky/astringent. Finishes dry and malty. Easy to drink and not worry about getting too A good beer to have when watching calories and alcohol intake...and you care about taste. This would be my beer of choice of all "light" beers.

12-21-2003 21:08:57 | More by EagleTalon
Mustard

District of Columbia

2.85/5  rDev -12.6%

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle; "For brewery-fresh taste, purchase before month" warning -- in this case Feb 2004 -- notched on the bottom label's left periphery; no ABV %; purchased from Ralph's as part of a 12 beer sampler pack for $9.99.

Appearance: Pours a maple-tinged, gold-colored hue with fair to decent clarity; voluminous, off-white head; a good b-cup's worth of lacing; very good head retention.

Aroma: Mildly of grain, pine and floral hops with just a hint of caramel.

Taste: Overall picture is one of balance; lightly sweet malt profile is more or less evened out by a gentle, floral bitterness; grainy with a mildly disquieting sour twang; light to medium bodied; this sample was more than a tad undercarbonated -- presumably this could be remedied by a gentle pour.

Notes: I don't give a rat's ass about whether a beer is light or not... or a brewer macro or not; this is not a bad tasting lager; at 124 calories and 4% ABV, though, the appellation "light" is a tad misleading -- almost every 4% beer will weigh in at about 130 calories... including the vastly superior Pilsner Urquell.

12-11-2003 07:51:07 | More by Mustard
WetCoaster

2.33/5  rDev -28.5%

Appearance: A moderate pour produces a thin, white, wafer-thin foam that disappears quickly and completely. Beer is a deep golden bronze, much more attractive than your average light.

Smell: Starts with a slightly flowery hop aroma with a bit of green apple yeast. This ends almost immediately and fades into bland nothingness.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Eh, nothing special. Mouthfeel is your standard macro light and fizzy foam. Taste starts a with a hint of sweet malt that soon vanishes, leaving behind a bland cardboard/metallic tang. Finishes bitter with a very mild hop bite. If I hadn't had this brew on a half-dozen occasions, I'd swear it was stale.

Drinkability/Notes: Sure, it's light, but it's just not flavorful enough to warrant a repeat, IMHO. While I have been greatly impressed with the quality and consistency of Sam Adams products, this, I'm afraid, is mediocre even for a light beer. I'll pass.

12-03-2003 07:04:12 | More by WetCoaster
mschofield

From the winter seasonal 12 pack

Pours a clear amber with a 2 finger white head.
Malt under a light hop aroma.
The feel and taste is stronger than I'd expect from a light beer.
Malty taste. But when it warms this gets very watery.
If I didn't know what this was and had to guess I'd think it was a Macro amber, and not a light beer. It seems like watered down Boston Lager.
It is fairly easy to drink when cold, but it decreases when it warms.

It's the best light beer out there, but does it really have a purpose? At almost 130 calories it's too much for light drinkers.
Please remove this from the variety packs BBC, put the Boston Ale back in. Maybe this would belong in the Summer pack, but I couldn't think of a worse winter beer than a light.

12-02-2003 19:55:49 | More by mschofield
clemtig76

South Carolina

3.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Now here is a light beer that looks, tastes, and smells like real beer! Pleasant amber color and hoppy aroma. Although calorie wise it is on par with Bud or regular Coors, it is much more beer than either. Almost as smooth and rich a regular Sam Adams. A regular in my fridge.

12-02-2003 13:08:15 | More by clemtig76
Rootdog316

3.38/5  rDev +3.7%

Sam Adams light is definitely the best light lager beer out on the market today. Although I really am not too crazy at all about regular Sam Adams Boston Lager, this is really pretty good especially for a light beer. Recommended to anyone who wants a few beers and watch the calories at the same time who enjoy a damn good tasting beer.

11-29-2003 06:39:34 | More by Rootdog316
Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)