Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros
3.08/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured a golden amber with a thick head, minimal lacing and moderate carbonation.

The smell had a hint of the Tettnanger hops in regular Sam Adams and a hint of a "Bud-like" adjunct flavor.

The taste is similar to regular Sam Adams but weaker with a bit of bitter off-flavor, almost like a spoiled flavor, but its not a strong off-taste at all.

The mouthfeel is light and bitter with minimal carbonation.

This is a highly drinkable beer.

As far as light beers go, this is pretty good, but I don't see the point, other than marketing. Give me regular Sam Adams anyday.

masterbruewer, Jun 25, 2004

Well yeah, it's a light. It came in the brewmaster's collection, so what the hell. Pours a dark(er than a macro light) yellow with a thick white head that recedes to a decent amount of lace. Taste... eh... on first sip you don't get much of anything, little bit of malt but thats it. But then you realize, wait a second, no adjunct taste! And it becomes that much better. So I suppose, if I HAD to drink a light beer for some reason, this would be the one.

MattFrenzy, Jun 20, 2004
3.13/5  rDev -4%

bronz colored with a white head that disappears quickly. not a bad looking beer and it's gonna get rated a little higher here since it's a light beer and not the color of my pee after i've had 6 beers. smells grainy and slightly floral. tastes grainy and pretty sweet, a little caramel maltiness and hops as well. pretty watery mouthfeel, with a lot of carbonation. overall best "light" beer i've had but nothing really special as far as quality beer.

kmo1030, Jun 17, 2004

I am definately not a light beer drinker but I have to give credit where it is due. People tend to give light beers a bad rap right off the bat, and in almost all cases they are right to do so. This beer on the other hand should be treated like a light lager is supposed to be. Granted there is no complexity or pizzaz to this, but this style of beer isn't supposed to have it. If a beer should be reviewed with style in mind, I think it is a very good beer. Just try to look at other beers in this category and this one will look pretty tasty. The color and aroma are very nice and there is a crisp refreshing taste.

ALESwhatCURESya, Jun 15, 2004
3.53/5  rDev +8.3%

Well, this might be the best "light" beer that I have had so far in my life, but that still isn't saying all that much. Pours a bronzish golden color with a moderate to weak white head. Taste is grainy sweet, cereal grains are most noticeable. Hop undertones and low carbonation makes the cereal really stand out. Crisp and smooth, which is what all light beer drinkers want. It's still a little watery but not as watery as most light beers. But, my only problem with this is that it's not really that light in calories and carbs. I don't really care personally, but it seems like false advertising or something. I bet it has more carbs and calories than Guiness and most irish stouts.

granger10, Apr 22, 2004

A little bit of hops, a little bit of malt, a lot bit of water = an average light beer - right? Wrong! This one really has the edge in taste. The texture of the grains stand out, and the finish is not weak. This isn't the cheapest light beer - but it seems to be one of the best. This compares favorably with Sam's Boston Lager.

skaughty, Apr 19, 2004
2.58/5  rDev -20.9%

This poured to a bright orange/gold color with a medium head that faded quickly. The lacing was minimal.

The smell is typical of a cheap and crummy lager. The taste is a bit better. Definitely a cut above macro swill but not something I particularly enjoyed.

I suppose this stuff was acceptable.

watermelonman, Apr 13, 2004

Served in a 12 oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The color is copper, with a film of white head. The smell is a cerealy malt. The taste is a cereal-like maltiness with sweetness, and very little if any hoppiness. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, can't say I'd have another.

"Never a Sam Light", my ass. As far as light beers go, it's not bad, but it's not something I'd actively seek out. If I wanted light beer, maybe I'd have this one, but well...I'd probably give up beer first.

beergeek279, Apr 09, 2004
3.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Orange-amber with a decent bubbly head.

Mostly sweet malts in the nose with a little citrus. One of the more aromatic light beers I've had.

Thin body, bubbly carbonation. Weak flavor, light citrus with actual hops presence. No real aftertaste.

One of the best light beers but not something I'd buy.

Southernbrew, Mar 27, 2004
2.93/5  rDev -10.1%

Probably the best light beer on the market today. Pours a very dark brown with a nice frothy head that resides after about a minute, lacing is fair. The smell is that of boston lager, rather skunky with hints of hops and malts. The taste is ligh but still malty and refreshing. Feels crisp in the mouth. Drinkable if you like the light beers, still go for the original Boston Lager.

beertaster13, Mar 24, 2004
2.35/5  rDev -27.9%

Light copper/gold, nice looking white head with some retention. big bubbles. Pleasant but light spicy hop aroma overshadowed by empty graininess with some caramel. Some sweetness and a hint of butter. Flavor fails to avoid the vacuous taste of light beer. It can't hide the fact that there is stuff missing. An overall wateriness. That being said, the flavor that is there before it disappears is pretty nice with a thin carameliness and clean hop bitterness. Feel is thin.

Overall a step up from the macros in amount and quality of flavor, but I still wonder why anyone would buy this. I guess if you want to drink a ton of beer, like the taste a bit, and are not willing to exercise, then this would be a good choice. So far I am sticking to non-lights.

waughbrew, Mar 23, 2004
2.6/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light copper with a quickly fading head. Aroma is a non-descript blend of caramel and some light herbal notes. Flavor begins slightly sweet, then somewhat acidic with some bread a herbal notes at the end. Mouthfeels is watery with low to medium carbonation. I find it hard to find much to say about this beer... it's just... well... boring.

zerk, Mar 03, 2004
3.05/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a clear dark amber gold brew.

Smell is all malt and a bit sweet.

Taste is quite malty, but hops are lacking here, not bad for a light beer.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but thick enough to be called beer.

Real drinkable, if forced to drink light beer choose this.

Zorro, Feb 25, 2004
2.13/5  rDev -34.7%

Crystal clear, light amber in color with a mediocre fast-fading head

Pale malt aroma with a touch of hop; very mild aroma

Thin and relatively flavorless, it's difficult to detect any real beer-like flavors.

With Light Beers dominating the conventional beer market, it's understandable that Boston Beer Co. would want to enter into the fray. And the like nationals, this beer is watered down, bland and non-descript. It will probably sell to the masses nicely. Personally, I preferred Sam's old Lightship.

smcolw, Feb 21, 2004
2.1/5  rDev -35.6%

I was given a Christmas sampler from Sam Adams this year, so I found myself with 2 Lights to drink. It has a pale golden color, though it is slightly darker than many other light beers. The aroma slightly sweet, but it is barley there. It has a light body and an ever so slight bitterness. It is fuller in body and hoppier than most other lights, but definitely not worth drinking

ark57, Feb 20, 2004
2.65/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Dark straw body with a cottony white head. Smells of sweet cereal malts, with modest hops. Taste is pretty unremarkable--mostly subdued malt, accented by mild hops. I have to admit that this is way better than any other light beer I've ever had, but it's still a little lean and thin. If I want a 4% "light" beer, I'll stick to the Utah micros.

alexgash, Feb 17, 2004
2.13/5  rDev -34.7%

served in brown 12 oz. bottle.

i got this one in a mixed 12-pack and felt compelled to try it. pours an amber color with very very high clarity. head is way too fizzy. the beer's texture is just awful. super high carbonation and fizziness just ruins this for me. yeah there's a slight touch of carmelly malt flavor but it's not enough to mask the metallic finish and over-carbonated body. i understand that it's a light beer but i would actually prefer a pils style -- this one just didn't work and tasted way off balance. i'd recommend it maybe if someone only drank lite beers and wanted to taste a bit more malt, but c'mon -- that's not enough of a raison d'etre.

vitesse, Feb 16, 2004
3.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Well, it is a light beer. But comparing to other light beers I must say it's quite good for a light beer. I like the apperance that it has on it. An amber color compared to others which have a very pale yellow. You can tell that this beer actually uses hops and malts in their beer, even though it's light. Smell was lightly hoppy and a touch of grain in there. Taste was...well light. Kinda watery compared to other beers out there. But it did have some taste to it. You can taste the malts at least. Hey, I got this beer for free, I won't complain, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to find this beer.

necoadam, Feb 15, 2004
3.2/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: Light amber with a white head didn't stick around long.

Smell: Just a little bit of hops in the smell. Kind of like a SNPA.

Taste: About as average as you can get. The hoppiness disappears and is replaced by some breadiness, especially in the aftertaste. Basically, it's inoffensive but unimpressive.

Mouthfeel: Watery. This was the main problem I had with the beer. It seemed even more watery than most macros.

Drinkability: The beer's winning quality. You could put together a few sessions in a row with this stuff. That is, if you don't start getting more daring.

Beef Notes: The times I buy this will be few and far between, but it's not a bad beer. I'll gladly drink it if it's given to me. It would probably be quite refreshing in the summer as well.

BeefyMee, Feb 07, 2004
2.5/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

What a below average beer (see numbers)! Pours a straw yellow with a quickly dissapearing head. Smell is sweet with no hop aroma. the flavors are pale, stale and boring. Some slight maltiness in the mouthfeel, but overall left me with nothing. No aftertaste to speak of, slightly dry finish. No body to this beer either. As a beer, it beats out the macros, barely. As a light beer, its about the same as Amstel?!?

counselor, Jan 29, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +29.4%

I got two of these in a sampler pack and will try to keep in mind reviewing it vs. other "light" beers.

Appearance: Poured a pale golden amber color, big fluffy head which is now just a thin layer of foam, no real lacing on my glass.

Smell: is a grainy, ever so slightly fruity smell.

Taste: a bit light in the taste department, but what I'm tasting is a mostly malty sweet flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than a Boston Lager, but with more body than any other light beer I've had (read: macro). Carbonation is good, alcohol is barely noticeable. I think if this had just a wee bit higher ABV, this would be better.

Drinkability&Notes: Kicks the tail feathers out of any other light beer I've had. That being said, though, I'm not sure I'd buy a whole case of these, but would definitely buy this if it was available in a pub before I would any other light. Quite nice, and my scores are putting this beer vs. the macro lights.

JackTheRipper, Jan 27, 2004
3.55/5  rDev +8.9%

No question an above average light lager. I tasted this blind as a panelist at the Beverage Tasting Institute here in Chicago. This was a mystery brew, and was used as a warm up to a morning of tasting and reviewing stouts and porters. There were 4 tasters and all of us pegged this for pretty much what it is. Albiet, we never would has guessed it to be a light beer. Most of us thought it to be a flavorful, malty session brew-I though it to be a Goose Island Product, flavorful, lighter in style and priced right. It was kind of marzen/Vienna in style-a simple yet well made malt driven brew. Much suprise when we removed the bag! All of us had to admit that this was an above average "light beer." Sometimes the label will fool us, and I bet I would have reviewed this lower had I seen it before tasting? Thanks BTI for another bit of beer education!!

moulefrite, Jan 20, 2004
2.98/5  rDev -8.6%

I'm drinking this after a full monster of La Fin Du Monde, so bear with me. A surprisingly decent brew from Sam Adams. Kind of what you'd expect, a watered down, less hoppy version of the original. But not bad if you're in to light beer but want a bit of flavor.

You could definitely pound the hell out of these all night too, which might save you from the macros if it's cheap enough.

benmiliron, Jan 08, 2004
3.15/5  rDev -3.4%

I must say this, "For a light bier, this is pretty good". This is not your typical watered down pisswater macro-light. This bier has good carbonation and color (not light), The smell is a little skunky but standard for the style. Tatse is light and smooth. Not a bier to write home about, but I could see it in a long session.

Certainly more flavorful than the macro lights on the st.

John

BierManVA, Jan 07, 2004
2.98/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours out a clear light copper color with a large white head. Aroma is fairly weak. there is a sort of sweat socks type aroma with perhaps a minor skunkiness. Taste is mainly of a sweetish creamy malt. Some slight caramel tastes, not much else here. Decent mouthfeel for a "light" beer, creamy. Fairly drinkable, but pretty boring.

avylover, Jan 06, 2004
Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)