Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice medium copper color with a good head and nice lace.
Smell of malt with a hint of hops. Taste is good, as light beers go. Its a light version af Sam Adams Boston lager. A bit less hoppier and not as heavy. Clean, clear and refreshing. A great summer beer. I always keep some in my fridge during the warm months. It is very easy drinking and leaves a nice aftertaste. As light beers go this is the best I have had, but I have not had that many.

3.6/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Just as it was meant to be, just a lighter version of SA Boston Lager. The smell is crisp and malty. Taste is slightly sweet, yet 'light'. Its a little bit weaker and easier to drink. I get a six pack every now and then meaning its a little above average.

3.21/5  rDev -1.5%

Off white head settling over clear and gently carbonated light amber liquid. Light sweet malt nose with grassy elements within, I can't detect any hop whatsoever. Smooth weak maltiness, somewhat watery taste going on. Finishes bland and without much character...thank God I don't have to drink this on a regular basis. It is what is is...light.

3.36/5  rDev +3.1%

Paid $13.99 as part of the "Brewmaster's Collection" 12-pack.

The apperence deserves some light beer award, it's got a nice dark color for a light beer, but no retention and though however some nice lacing, all-in-all good stuff... The aroma is a alright, it's a little hoppy in the nose!

The taste, pretty average, it's definately a Sam Adams, watered down about 20-25%, so I can live with it. Mouthfeel and Drinkability don't change from the original, good from the movement of the glass, down the throat, and in my tummy, yummy...

Final Thought: It's damn good from a light beer standpoint, but it's pretty average from a beer standpoint!

3.65/5  rDev +12%

This pours a medium amber color, much darker than typical lights. About a two finger head here. Lasted a while with decent retention and lacing.

The smell is maltier than even most 'non-lights'. More character than usual.

This follows on to the taste as well. Very malty. No hop bite or bitterness at all. But a decent taste which for this style is saying something.

The mouthfeel is kind of watery but with no bitterness it does go down very smooth.

Weirdly, compared to other lights, this isn't quite as drinkable since it has the malty taste. Still, if someone had this or macros in the fridge I'd could drink them for a night.

3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

I've been intrigued by this light beer for some time since I'm like Sam Adams 'regular.' Finding it on sale helped me decide to try it and, I must say, for a light beer, it isn't bad. It isn't great, either, but if I had to choose only from a selection of light beers, I'd probably go to this one.

Like Sam Adams non-light, it pours well out of the bottle with not too much head. The light amber color is a good sign that it is different than most light beers and had some body in its aroma. The taste comes close to what the brewer is trying to imitate but something is missing. It doesn't quite have the character I want in a beer. While not bad for a beer and quite good for a light beer, it didn't do anything to make me declare it a beer that will make it into my regular purchases. After finishing off the six-pack, I didn't anticipate buying it again on my next trip to the store.

2.58/5  rDev -20.9%

Sam Adams...light? I figured it would be darn near impossible to transfer the taste of regular Sam Adams over to a light beer, and I guess I was right. Though it looks and smells just like the regular stuff, it just tastes sour.

It pours nice and amber with a nice creamy head and it smells slightly sweet. It's lightly carbonated and has a unpleasantly bitter aftertaste.

I can appreciate what the Boston Beer Company is trying to do here: make a light beer that actually tastes like something. But if this is the best they could do, then maybe light beer
drinkers should just be thankfull for watery domestics. I mean, honestly, I don't know very many light beer drinkers who give two shits about taste.

3.53/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured a deep yellow color, clear, with a short head that disappeared almost immediately.

It smelled slightly sweet, with bitter aromatic hops that were vaguely skunky.

The taste was of light malt, and it was slightly bitter. It was also quite carbonated.

This was better than most light beers I have tried.

3.08/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured a golden amber with a thick head, minimal lacing and moderate carbonation.

The smell had a hint of the Tettnanger hops in regular Sam Adams and a hint of a "Bud-like" adjunct flavor.

The taste is similar to regular Sam Adams but weaker with a bit of bitter off-flavor, almost like a spoiled flavor, but its not a strong off-taste at all.

The mouthfeel is light and bitter with minimal carbonation.

This is a highly drinkable beer.

As far as light beers go, this is pretty good, but I don't see the point, other than marketing. Give me regular Sam Adams anyday.

3.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Well yeah, it's a light. It came in the brewmaster's collection, so what the hell. Pours a dark(er than a macro light) yellow with a thick white head that recedes to a decent amount of lace. Taste... eh... on first sip you don't get much of anything, little bit of malt but thats it. But then you realize, wait a second, no adjunct taste! And it becomes that much better. So I suppose, if I HAD to drink a light beer for some reason, this would be the one.

3.13/5  rDev -4%

bronz colored with a white head that disappears quickly. not a bad looking beer and it's gonna get rated a little higher here since it's a light beer and not the color of my pee after i've had 6 beers. smells grainy and slightly floral. tastes grainy and pretty sweet, a little caramel maltiness and hops as well. pretty watery mouthfeel, with a lot of carbonation. overall best "light" beer i've had but nothing really special as far as quality beer.

I am definately not a light beer drinker but I have to give credit where it is due. People tend to give light beers a bad rap right off the bat, and in almost all cases they are right to do so. This beer on the other hand should be treated like a light lager is supposed to be. Granted there is no complexity or pizzaz to this, but this style of beer isn't supposed to have it. If a beer should be reviewed with style in mind, I think it is a very good beer. Just try to look at other beers in this category and this one will look pretty tasty. The color and aroma are very nice and there is a crisp refreshing taste.

3.52/5  rDev +8%

Well, this might be the best "light" beer that I have had so far in my life, but that still isn't saying all that much. Pours a bronzish golden color with a moderate to weak white head. Taste is grainy sweet, cereal grains are most noticeable. Hop undertones and low carbonation makes the cereal really stand out. Crisp and smooth, which is what all light beer drinkers want. It's still a little watery but not as watery as most light beers. But, my only problem with this is that it's not really that light in calories and carbs. I don't really care personally, but it seems like false advertising or something. I bet it has more carbs and calories than Guiness and most irish stouts.

2.93/5  rDev -10.1%

A little bit of hops, a little bit of malt, a lot bit of water = an average light beer - right? Wrong! This one really has the edge in taste. The texture of the grains stand out, and the finish is not weak. This isn't the cheapest light beer - but it seems to be one of the best. This compares favorably with Sam's Boston Lager.

2.56/5  rDev -21.5%

This poured to a bright orange/gold color with a medium head that faded quickly. The lacing was minimal.

The smell is typical of a cheap and crummy lager. The taste is a bit better. Definitely a cut above macro swill but not something I particularly enjoyed.

I suppose this stuff was acceptable.

Served in a 12 oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The color is copper, with a film of white head. The smell is a cerealy malt. The taste is a cereal-like maltiness with sweetness, and very little if any hoppiness. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, can't say I'd have another.

"Never a Sam Light", my ass. As far as light beers go, it's not bad, but it's not something I'd actively seek out. If I wanted light beer, maybe I'd have this one, but well...I'd probably give up beer first.

3.32/5  rDev +1.8%

Orange-amber with a decent bubbly head.

Mostly sweet malts in the nose with a little citrus. One of the more aromatic light beers I've had.

Thin body, bubbly carbonation. Weak flavor, light citrus with actual hops presence. No real aftertaste.

One of the best light beers but not something I'd buy.

2.89/5  rDev -11.3%

Probably the best light beer on the market today. Pours a very dark brown with a nice frothy head that resides after about a minute, lacing is fair. The smell is that of boston lager, rather skunky with hints of hops and malts. The taste is ligh but still malty and refreshing. Feels crisp in the mouth. Drinkable if you like the light beers, still go for the original Boston Lager.

2.41/5  rDev -26.1%

Light copper/gold, nice looking white head with some retention. big bubbles. Pleasant but light spicy hop aroma overshadowed by empty graininess with some caramel. Some sweetness and a hint of butter. Flavor fails to avoid the vacuous taste of light beer. It can't hide the fact that there is stuff missing. An overall wateriness. That being said, the flavor that is there before it disappears is pretty nice with a thin carameliness and clean hop bitterness. Feel is thin.

Overall a step up from the macros in amount and quality of flavor, but I still wonder why anyone would buy this. I guess if you want to drink a ton of beer, like the taste a bit, and are not willing to exercise, then this would be a good choice. So far I am sticking to non-lights.

2.62/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light copper with a quickly fading head. Aroma is a non-descript blend of caramel and some light herbal notes. Flavor begins slightly sweet, then somewhat acidic with some bread a herbal notes at the end. Mouthfeels is watery with low to medium carbonation. I find it hard to find much to say about this beer... it's just... well... boring.

3.06/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a clear dark amber gold brew.

Smell is all malt and a bit sweet.

Taste is quite malty, but hops are lacking here, not bad for a light beer.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but thick enough to be called beer.

Real drinkable, if forced to drink light beer choose this.

2.15/5  rDev -34%

Crystal clear, light amber in color with a mediocre fast-fading head

Pale malt aroma with a touch of hop; very mild aroma

Thin and relatively flavorless, it's difficult to detect any real beer-like flavors.

With Light Beers dominating the conventional beer market, it's understandable that Boston Beer Co. would want to enter into the fray. And the like nationals, this beer is watered down, bland and non-descript. It will probably sell to the masses nicely. Personally, I preferred Sam's old Lightship.

2.1/5  rDev -35.6%

I was given a Christmas sampler from Sam Adams this year, so I found myself with 2 Lights to drink. It has a pale golden color, though it is slightly darker than many other light beers. The aroma slightly sweet, but it is barley there. It has a light body and an ever so slight bitterness. It is fuller in body and hoppier than most other lights, but definitely not worth drinking

2.66/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Dark straw body with a cottony white head. Smells of sweet cereal malts, with modest hops. Taste is pretty unremarkable--mostly subdued malt, accented by mild hops. I have to admit that this is way better than any other light beer I've ever had, but it's still a little lean and thin. If I want a 4% "light" beer, I'll stick to the Utah micros.

2.15/5  rDev -34%

served in brown 12 oz. bottle.

i got this one in a mixed 12-pack and felt compelled to try it. pours an amber color with very very high clarity. head is way too fizzy. the beer's texture is just awful. super high carbonation and fizziness just ruins this for me. yeah there's a slight touch of carmelly malt flavor but it's not enough to mask the metallic finish and over-carbonated body. i understand that it's a light beer but i would actually prefer a pils style -- this one just didn't work and tasted way off balance. i'd recommend it maybe if someone only drank lite beers and wanted to taste a bit more malt, but c'mon -- that's not enough of a raison d'etre.

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)