Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
View: Beers (129) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros
seipmoney

4.33/5  rDev +32.8%

Very Good for a light beer probably one of the better light beers out there. Very close to sam adams boston lager a littel less alcohol content though which was the only downside that i see in this one. I think i would definitely buy this beer again.

12-23-2008 02:59:09 | More by seipmoney
Gosox8787

New Hampshire

4.33/5  rDev +32.8%

I had this beer at a cookout. The host bought one of the summer variety packs of Sam Adams. This was the only beer I had never really tried from it, so I gave it a shot.

I was not sure what to expet, as I enjoy most of Sam Adams offerings, but I am not usually a light beer drinker. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. There was a nice malt aroma, and some barely perceptible hops in the nose. The taste was nice and malty with caramel notes everywhere. Not much hops, just enough to offer some bitterness as a contrast. Mouthfeel was a bit heavily carbonated, but not distracting. Drinkability was high due to the lo ABV and the fact that it is a light lager.

Overall, way more flavor than I could ever expect from a light beer. A solid offering that really isn't just the light alternative to Boston Lager, but a good brew in its own right. It should not be criticized for being light.

07-06-2009 05:15:27 | More by Gosox8787
unclejimbay

Sam Adams Light, Style: Light Lager
ABV = 4.05%, cals = 119
Bottle>dimpled mug, reviewed @ home 10/28/08
A 4.0 - clear/dark copper for a light beer, good head/retention & collar
S 4.0 - nice hop aromas present for a light beer. I get a subtle whisper of apple & pear aromas.
T 4.5 - Hoppy semi bitter but balanced for a light beer. Very interesting and surprising brew.
MF 4.0 - "full body" (for a light beer), balanced/appropriate carbo
D 4.5 - This stuff is one of the best light beers I have had to date. A nice surprise indeed!

02-28-2009 23:29:32 | More by unclejimbay
Dadoftwogirls

4.33/5  rDev +32.8%

For a light beer, I have to admit this is one of the best offerings available. I actually has taste that makes you believe it can't be a light. After trying watered down piss offered by just about everyone... Triple Hops this... silver that... low carb blah blah blah... it is nice to finally find a light beer you could enjoy while knowing you were at least attempting to keep your diet in line.

10-26-2010 21:02:37 | More by Dadoftwogirls
fuhgeddaboudit

Rhode Island

4.3/5  rDev +31.9%

Sammy Adams never seems to let me down, and this light offering of theirs is no exception. You can't expect a bold mixture of flavors from a light beer, but you also can't expect the exceptional drinkability you'll discover in the first sip of this delightful brew. This is most definitely my go-to beer for nights dedicated to quantity of alcohol over quality, and the quality of a decent beer is still more than present in this heavily drinkable offering from Samuel. Try this if boldly flavored beers scare you away, if you naturally enjoy light beers, or if you are new to drinking beer.

10-12-2010 21:34:43 | More by fuhgeddaboudit
usmittymc

Mississippi

4.28/5  rDev +31.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard room-temp pub glass

A- Perfectly clear, medium amber color with a full 1.5 finger head that dissipates to a nice lacing around the glass. Much darker than any other "light" beer that I have ever experienced.

S- Faint citrusy hoppiness that you do not experience with other "light" beers. Also a nice "biscuity" aroma is present

T- Full of flavor that you will not get from other "light" beers. Smooth malt on the front with a nice hoppy finish

M- Much more body to this beer than other "light" beers. Sits very well on the palate and has a nice, clean finish

D- Definitely my default beer of choice. SA Light is available practically everywhere, at a reasonable price ($5.99 / 6-pack). So you get a good quality "light" beer (not so light calorie-wise), for under a buck a beer.

11-13-2007 21:07:11 | More by usmittymc
MattBrooks

4.28/5  rDev +31.3%

I had never been a big Sam Adams Lager drinker. I've enjoyed most of the seasonals over the years and I do enjoy a couple of the Brewmaster Collection six's like the Hefe and the Pale; but when the Boston Beer Co came out with Sam Adams Light, I was hooked. A rich, malty taste with a slight bitter tinge on the finish, this is a great beer! I use a pint glass (from the overly enourmous collection in my bar) and relish in the nice head and excellent amber hue. After the first few, I admit....I do sometimes switch over and drink the next few from the bottle. You don't get to smell it too much from the bottle, but hey you just smelled the the last three you drank...enjoy!

08-09-2005 14:28:53 | More by MattBrooks

Rawhyde

02-27-2013 21:07:55 | More by Rawhyde
jngle24

4.25/5  rDev +30.4%

When poured , gave a beautiful golden color, with a nice white frothy top, that did not cling to the glass. It smelled to me like a Sam Adams beer(to me they seem to all smell fairly similar). A very smooth drink from begining to end. I also found barely any after taste. I really enjoyed this beer, and would recommend to any light beer drinker.

09-29-2009 20:12:54 | More by jngle24

BMan33

02-09-2013 03:13:17 | More by BMan33
Dukeofearl

4.22/5  rDev +29.4%

Simply one of the best, most flavorful light beers I have ever tried.

Six pack for $7.99 at La Bodega in Riverside, CA. in Sept. 2007.

Pours a surprisingly deep amber golden for the style, with a slight head that doesn't last too long. Aroma is dry malty, maybe a hint of hops. Flavor is light but still a lot for the style. Moderate, toasty malts, minimal hops makes for a tasty light alternative.

Mouthfeel includes a fair amount of carbonation- why no head retention?

Good stuff.

11-07-2007 02:36:02 | More by Dukeofearl
metallistout

4.22/5  rDev +29.4%

Ok, I went into this review knowing that I have to match it up with other Light Lagers, like Miller Lite, Bud Light etc...

Bottle 12 oz.

Amber in color and a decent thick head for a light beer.

Smell of floral hops and malty grains, does not quite smell like a light beer.

This beer taste pretty much like a "toned down" version of it's big brother. Take out a little hops and a little malt and instead of Boston Lager; you have Sam Light.

Mouthfeel is watery, and refreshing.

Drinkability- if I ever get a feeling to drink a light beer, this would be the beer for sure. If you stack it up to the Big Commercial Light beers (includin amstel) I would say that Sam Adams Light is the winner.

10-31-2007 20:35:04 | More by metallistout
JackTheRipper

4.22/5  rDev +29.4%

I got two of these in a sampler pack and will try to keep in mind reviewing it vs. other "light" beers.

Appearance: Poured a pale golden amber color, big fluffy head which is now just a thin layer of foam, no real lacing on my glass.

Smell: is a grainy, ever so slightly fruity smell.

Taste: a bit light in the taste department, but what I'm tasting is a mostly malty sweet flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than a Boston Lager, but with more body than any other light beer I've had (read: macro). Carbonation is good, alcohol is barely noticeable. I think if this had just a wee bit higher ABV, this would be better.

Drinkability&Notes: Kicks the tail feathers out of any other light beer I've had. That being said, though, I'm not sure I'd buy a whole case of these, but would definitely buy this if it was available in a pub before I would any other light. Quite nice, and my scores are putting this beer vs. the macro lights.

01-27-2004 22:39:21 | More by JackTheRipper
steanu

4.22/5  rDev +29.4%

A-It's got a nice brown color to it. It actually looks similar to the Boston Lager.

S- It's got a nice scent to it.

T- Considering that it's a light beer it's got a nice flavor to it. Got some nice taste of yeast and hops and it doesnt go overboard with it.

M-It's got a nice clean finish to it and it doesn't leave an aftertaste.

D-It's a fine beer to drink without worrying about the extra calories.

I love Sam Adams as you probably know if you read my previous reviews and this is no exception. I like this beer a lot and I am not really into light beers. It's like the diet pepsi of beers.

05-14-2009 21:30:17 | More by steanu
RossPeterson

4.22/5  rDev +29.4%

A: A lighter amber color, capped nicely with a white two-finger head.

S: Caramel, malts and grains. Nothing super bold or standing out.

T: A hint of sweet caramel with malts and grains. A very pleasant, bold flavor for a light beer.

M: Crisp and refreshing, very drinkable but not lacking any flavor. Carbonated with a tiny bitterness. Not as watery as any other light beer.

Overall: Rating this solely as a light beer, this beer is the best in its class. Great beer and a decent beer compared to any other ale or lager.

12-23-2011 05:18:43 | More by RossPeterson
Shiloh

Ontario (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a very impressive light lager. Nothing ordinary here at all. The colour is a nice medium amber and the nose is crisp and clean. The head is limited, showing little to no lace at all. The body is medium/light.
The taste is fairly well balanced leaning slightly towards the hops, the finish seems dry. Lively carbonation added to this expierience.
Believe this to be the best light that I have ever tasted.

03-27-2003 16:19:51 | More by Shiloh
johnnymoto

4.2/5  rDev +28.8%

The head was thin but at least it was there, which is usually hard to find for a light beer. The color was alot darker than most light beers that I've seen. The taste was exceptional for a light beer and the mouthfeel was pretty smooth for the most part. Overall I think it is a great light beer.

02-26-2009 19:10:54 | More by johnnymoto
BDIMike

4.2/5  rDev +28.8%

Let me say first, that one thing that bothers me about this website is that the site asks people to rate a beer based on its style. Sam Adams is, in my opinion, has more taste and better attributes than any light beer out there. If it isn't your favorite, it is probably in the top 3. But people rate it lowly because it doesn't have the same great tastes of a Double IPA. Well, it is a light beer, not a Double IPA and should be rated like one. Anyway, my rant of the day is over, on with the tasting...
Appearance is darker than almost all light beers. It has an amber, copper color with a nice white head that fades fast, but leaves a nice lacing.
Aroma is of toasted malts, but there is a nice floral smell to it as well. A lot of good smells that one normally does not get out of a light beer.
Taste is similar to the aroma. A nice biscuit taste with a good caramel malt taste as well. A bit of a hop taste, but the caramel taste is very stront. Much more taste than most light beers.
Mouthfeel is very light and refreshing, which is the most important aspect of a light beer to me.
Drinkability is awesome. Great taste and the refreshing style of a light beer. Definitely the best I have had and you can read more about my opinion above.

03-03-2011 02:35:29 | More by BDIMike
Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)