Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 827 | Hads: 2,161
4.17/5  rDev +24.1%

The head was thin but at least it was there, which is usually hard to find for a light beer. The color was alot darker than most light beers that I've seen. The taste was exceptional for a light beer and the mouthfeel was pretty smooth for the most part. Overall I think it is a great light beer.

4.16/5  rDev +23.8%

This beer is amazing for a light beer. I tried to score it as compared to other light beers and I am definitely not a light beer fan. Compared to my favorite IPA style - well you can't it isn't fair. I will say it has more real beer flavor that regular Bud, Coors etc. It looks real, tastes real and smells real. Most light beers are more akin to club soda than beer. It will never be on my favorite list, but when trying to go light it is a winner.

4.15/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a very impressive light lager. Nothing ordinary here at all. The colour is a nice medium amber and the nose is crisp and clean. The head is limited, showing little to no lace at all. The body is medium/light.
The taste is fairly well balanced leaning slightly towards the hops, the finish seems dry. Lively carbonation added to this expierience.
Believe this to be the best light that I have ever tasted.

4.13/5  rDev +22.9%

Okay, sometimes I enjoy chugging a few cold ones after a hike. While washing the car. While arguing with buddies over the best automatic transmission ever. Often times I am stuck with whatever light macro said buddies have in the fridge. If I ever write my memoirs I will insert this beer in place of the macros.

A truly refreshing light beer. Enjoyable with barbecue and friends. I'd rather have Samuel Adams Boston Lager but when I have the macro light drinking crowd over I stock up on this one.

Jewel of a light beer!

Gorgeous amber...

slight whiff of hop acid with a touch of malt...no adjuncts noted!

Tastes smooth like a watered down Boston Lager...

Crisp and goes down easy...way easy to chug!

4.13/5  rDev +22.9%

Poured into glass, rich bronze color for a light lager. Decent white head, doesnt last very long. Not very fizzy, which is a good sign.

Average to slightly above average smell.

One of the better tasting light beers around, malty.

Mouthfeel is fantastic. Smooth & goes down very easy.

I like this better than Boston Lager. Would buy again no question.

4.13/5  rDev +22.9%

Pours a light and clear golden color with an amber hue. Fizzy head dies down quickly as usual for a light lager.

Smell is much better than any other light lager I have tried. I can actually smell malty grain and slight hoppiness.

Body is light and taste is pretty good for a light beer. Crackery grainy malts and a subtle hop spicyness. Nice dry finish.

I don't understand how this beer gets a "not recommended" status and a low average rating when it is obviously one of the best light lagers in the world. I don't think people take any account for style which is too bad since this beer deserves a bit more respect.

4.13/5  rDev +22.9%

This beer is highly carbonated, and pours to a thin head. Crystal clear, amber color -- perhaps the darkest of any light beer I've had. Has the aroma of mild malts and light hops, with excellent bite and mouthfeel. Has an excellent, flavorful finish, as one would expect from a Sam Adams.

This is simply one of the best light beers out there, even though it is really a borderline light beer (with high calorie content, that is). Too bad it isn't somewhat cheaper, as it would have a constant presence in my fridge. My hunch is that it was designed and marketed for the beautiful people who visit the gyms and are watching their wastlines. Poor sods.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Disclaimer: I'm reviewing this as a light beer and comparing it to other light beers.

Poured from Bottle into a glass

A: Pours a nice amber color with about two fingers worth of head, that dissipates to a nice lacy reminisce

S: I'm getting some malt, with earthy tones, not a whole lot happening here, but more than most light beers

T: A nice malt flavor, with a little bit of sweetness, and some bready-cereal notes that transitions into a subtle hop flavor to compliment the lingering malt sensation.

M: It's beer, not imitation piss water like most light brews.

O: If this weren't a light beer it would be average. However keeping in mind that this is a "light" beer and not a "full flavored" beer. This is very, very good, finally there is a light beer that tastes like beer and not just some piss yellow watery crap that is passed of as "premium" beer. Thank you Jim Koch and the Boston Beer Company for making a light beer that is beer.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

I absolutely love this beer. I hate the commercial light beers like Bud Light, Miller and Coors but I want to drink a flavorful light beer to save a few calories.

SAL fits the bill perfectly. It is great for sipping during dinner or guzzling with the guys during the games.

I stock this one in my fridge along with Peanut Butter and Jelly.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

A surprisingly good light beer, it has become my favorite in that category.
1 inch head when served in a freezer cold mug.
The beer has a reddish tint to it and taste-wise, it has a malty sweet after taste.
Sam Adams light is a great every day beer and I find that for me, it pairs well with spicy Asian foods because of its sweetness.
Very very refreshing!

By far, the best Light beer I have ever had

Poured in to a pint glass, it has a deep amber color, nice head that stays around awhile and leaves good lacing.

I can actually smell malt here, nice.

It tastes good, almost as good as Boston Lager, just lighter, but I think that's the intent behind this beer.

Crisp, clean, refreshing, thin bodied, but not too thin.

A very drinkable beer, good job Jim Koch!

4.1/5  rDev +22%

Pours a golden amber color with a thin white head. Very dark for a light beer. Aroma is sweet malts and grains with some floral notes. Very malty flavor, especially for a light beer, and is crisp and refreshing in the mouth. This is one of the best light beers I’ve had the pleasure to drink.

4.08/5  rDev +21.4%

While I would normally stay away from lighter versions of original lagers, this manages to be a bit thinner without being a light beer in the same context as Bud Light, Miller Lite, etc. It's really not all that light, and while the ABV is quite low, it does not lose sight of the hop flavor one bit and still manages to be a nicely balanced beer just like the original. If you're looking for a session beer, or just don't want a beer that's so heavy, you really can't go wrong with this one.

4.08/5  rDev +21.4%

Pours a nice amber color with good head and good lacing. Nice scent, good and malty with slightly bitter traces. Great taste for a light lager, very clean and refreshing, but not at all weak like most 'light' beers. It has an excellent bit of hoppiness you won't find in the other light lagers produced in any quantity. Goes down nice and smooth. If I were to actually drink light beers in any amount, it would be this one.

4.07/5  rDev +21.1%

Tasted on July 31, 2007. A light beer with the color of most other lager style beers. Medium amber with a small head. Aroma is light caramel malts, wheat and grains. For a light beer with a ABV of barely 4% the flavor is huge. Malty and hoppy with a crisp bite. You could put this head to head with many non loght beers and it would blow them out of the water. It is the best light beer I have ever had.

4.07/5  rDev +21.1%

this is one of my absolute favorite beers. Pours a nice amber hue with a decent head. Smell is like fresh bread, very malty with a slight hopiness. Taste is similar, very sweet maltiness with a breadish taste. The alcohol is hard to detect, which isn't too hard to believe considering its only 4% ABV. I could easily drink this beer on a hot summer day or a cold winter evening, all day long, i truly think its a great beer.

4.06/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Clear copper with two fingers of head and decent retention

Smell: Soft; grainy and a little metallic

Taste: Malty and a little metallic

Mouthfeel: Very crisp, this feels quite nice going down a slightly weak finish though

Drinkability: Very easy to drink

Note: I rated this high because as far as light beers go I think that this is the best that I've ever had (which isn't saying much), but I wouldn't drink this if a (decent) non-light alternative were available to me (I wouldn't be drinking it now but four of them came in my summer sampler case).

4.06/5  rDev +20.8%

Rating this for what it is as a "light" and not across all styles helps it out quite a bit, but in any case it's actually a solid beer all around on the grand scheme of things. Without taking style into account, I would still probably give it a solid 3.0.

A: Looks like a real beer? The Orange-Amber color is a refreshing departure from the usual spirit-draining straw color of the other readily available Light offerings.

S: Well... It is a light beer. I don't smell much, but that's about par for the course.

T: Mild malt sweetness with a dry finish.Tasty, but with little hops

M: Good, less watery than this Light beer's short-bus riding cousins.

D: This is a beer that just makes me happy that someone made it. Infinitely more drinkable than your typical "lite" in that it's interesting enough to want more than one of.

4.06/5  rDev +20.8%

I´m reviewing this beer based on what it is, a light beer. Comparing color and taste, it´s seriouslly above other light beers. I´ve heard people say they would prefer bud or miller lite. I´m not a beer expert yet, but I don´t think there is any comparison. I trully think this is a light beer that doesn´t really taste like light beer (watered down beer).

"Best Light Beer"
-2005 DarkerTheBetter Beer Awards

This beer pours an orange copper color with a slight tan creamy head. Smells of oat malt, honey, lime and banana. Tastes like… Is this a light beer? Wow! …Oat and barley malt with a nice nip of hops, smooth burnt caramel and a buttery, sour citrus finish. The mouth feel is medium-light with lots of carbonation. I seriously have trouble believing that this is a “light” beer.

4.05/5  rDev +20.5%

Pouts a transparent amber color with a light one finger white head. The head has decent retention and leaves a little alcing in my glass. The aroma is of bready malt and light malts. Taste is grainy and bready with a light herbal hops. Mouthfeel is thin with light fluffy carbonation. Overall, this isn't a very impressive beer, but when you consider the competition it looks a lot better. It certainly blows the socks off bud light.

4.05/5  rDev +20.5%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a Sunset Grill & Tap pint glass.

A: Poured a light amber color with a one-finger head of pure white foam. Carbonation was sparse and lacing was pretty minimal.

S: Nice, light herbal hop aroma and some zesty grain as well.

T: Taste is slightly sweet at first, with a toasted caramel malt flavor backed by a little zesty hop bitterness. Fairly light flavors overall, but enough character to keep it interesting.

M: Mouthfeel is light, crisp and smooth.

D: This would be one of the upper echelon sessionable light beers. With the low ABV, crisp and smooth flavor, it goes well on its own or with lighter fare and pizzas.

One of the only light beers I'd ever purchase with a clear conscience. A great beer to initiate the light BMC drinker into the realm of craft brews, although it's not THAT far of a step off the curb.

4.05/5  rDev +20.5%

Light, clear copper with a dense white head.

Sweet, caramelly, biscuity malt, light citrus and hoppy hop aromas.

Crisp. Citric hops, slightly toasty, malty flavor. All light and balanced. Good.

Light-bodied and well carbonated.

If you're gonna drink light beer, this is an excellent choice, tastes light, but it also tastes like something.

4.03/5  rDev +19.9%

Appearance: A medium-dark amber color with a quickly disappearing white head leaving a creamy white lace. Lots of visible carbonation, though.

Aroma: Only a very mild grain aroma and a tiny bit of floral hop scent as well. Pretty thin (But maybe not when compared to other “light” beers)

Taste and Mouthfeel: An overall grainy maltiness with very subtle hints of toffee too. The mouthfeel is clean but somewhat thin and there is much less carbonation here than the appearance led me to believe. A fairly brief finish with some very minor hop bitterness; not very balanced, the malt flavor, mild as it is, totally overwhelms any hop bitterness that the beer has to offer.

While its quite pleasant, it’s also thin and somewhat unremarkable. I guess, though, that relative to over reduced calorie beers, its actually pretty good, maybe even one of the best I’ve tried. But, overall, it isn't very rich or complex. If, for some strange reason, you are determined to drink only light beers, then you’ll definitely want to give this one a try, it’ll probably be one of the best you encounter. But otherwise I wouldn’t strongly recommend this one; its not bad, there just isn’t much too it.

Note: The ratings I gave this one may appear a little out of sync with my written review. This is because for the ratings I decided to judge to beer relative to its style, and for the written review I simply gave a more objective assessment.

4.03/5  rDev +19.9%

Samuel Adams Light is an exceptional "light" beer. This brew hardly belongs in the light beer category. This is a surprisingly flavorful and refreshing beer if you haven't had the pleasure of enjoying a bottle of it (I've yet to find it on tap).

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)