Sam Adams Light - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Sam Adams LightSam Adams Light

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sam Adams Light Alström Bros
2.76/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured a bottle into my Northern Brewer pint glass. Freshness date was notched Nov 2010, but I've had this thing in the fridge since the summer so I'm pretty confident it hasn't gone bad.

A: Pours a copper color, slightly amber, with lots of fizzy carbonation. There's not a prolonged head. In fact, after a minute or two all that's left is a few bubbles skimming the surface.

S: Smells like chewy caramel. The aromas don't overpower. There's some faint noble hops there that seem mostly floral. A little roastiness is present.

T: Too watered down for me. The faintest of malts is there, but barely. Better as it warms, but I'd much rather prefer the standard Sam Adams brew when given the choice.

M: Carbonation is spot on, but it's too light for my liking. (Yes - I do realize this is a light beer.)

D: Drinkability is definitely there. Could drink this all day long if I had to. I only think I would choose something with more flavor.

Seems like a decent session beer if you wanted something a notch above BMC. Otherwise, I think Sam Adams has plenty better options.

2.75/5  rDev -15.6%

3.5/5  rDev +7.4%

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

3.08/5  rDev -5.5%

I have not had this beer in many years as I do not normally purchase light beer, but I picked this up as a single to review it. Poured into a pint glass. The beer pours amber with a large white head that dissipates quickly. The dissipating head is what makes the appearance of Sam Adams Light different from Boston Lager. There is also a lack of lacing left behind on the glass as the head dissipates. Tiny bubbles are visibly rising from the bottom of the glass. A thin wisp of lace is left atop the beer. Some lacing is left on the side of the glass during consumption.

Biscuit malt comes through in the aroma more than it did for Boston Lager. The beer smells grainy and the hop aroma is not strong. The beer tastes mildly sweet and watery. It's a little fuller than most light lagers, but still watery. The hop bitterness is minimal. The body is light to full with moderate carbonation. The beer is smooth and the finish is dry. The drinkiability is high because it is easy to drink. Overall, this is a good beer for the style, but as a beer it is merely above average. Thus, the price for this beer is not justified. If you are looking to buy light lagers, you could easily spring for cheaper offerings because the quality of this beer does not justify the price tag.

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

2.5/5  rDev -23.3%

3.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a clear copper orange with a nice cap of finely bubbled, slightly creamy, off-white.

The nose brings a touch of carameled, bready sweetness and light, herbal hops.

Tastes pretty much the same. A touch watery in the light body, with a moderate amount of fine bubbly, foamish carbonation.

Not a great beer, but it is one of the best light beers you can find. Nicely done for the style.

3.6/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer poured with an extremely thin head with some patchy lacing. Clear, light amber color overall. Aromas had a slight roasty hint to a generally bready and malty smell. Taste mirrored the aromas with a slight fruity and hoppy taste. Lightly grassy and pretty sweet for a light lager. Great carbonation, in general; very, very refreshing, light and crisp. Overall, I am not a light beer drinker, but this is pretty darn good for one.

3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

appearance: This beer actually has some color to it. A very light amber coloration distinguishes itself from its other light brethen, with no real head forming in my glass. Might had been my extra careful pour. Overall not bad. 4\5

aroma: Their really isn't anything here that I like. It really just smells like your typical light lagger, with maybe some kind of odd hoping, but I cant place it. Even so, I really don't care for it. I was kinda hoping for a nice load of hop aroma. 1.5\5

taste: moment of truth...and...you know what, its really not that bad at all! Extremely neutral, light, with few flavors backing it up. Very grainy malt body dominates the flavor. The Trader Joes pilsner had far more hop characters to it, but then again, this is a light beer. Its not suppose to have a lot of hop character. Compared to Bud light, or platinum, seriously, I give this one a 4\5

mouthfeel: light with a heavy dose of carbonation, making it very spritzy and covering its very light body. 4\5

overall: This beer really was not made for me, but I'll be honest, I don't hate it. Id be happy drinking it for free at a friends house or at a party. Its easy to consume, and is not offensive at the least, and does count as a light lagger. That's impressive, as to make a light lagger inoffensive is damn hard. After drinking the entire glass, my final rating is... a 3.75\5.

Its not bad at all. I cant say that I like its aftertaste very much at all, but overall, the beer really is ok...especially for anyone who wants to indulge the fantasy of a “diet beer”.

3.96/5  rDev +21.5%

Not quite sure how to review this beer -- as a regular ol' beer, or as the light beer I bought it as? Well, here goes with my impressions and I'll see how I can wrap it up:

A -- Clear, light copper color with a nicely thick, white head.

S -- Light malts with a hint of spicy hops.

T -- Light bready malts at the start with a grainy follow up and vague noble hops with a dry finish.

M -- Soft and smooth mouthfeel.

D -- Dangerous drinkability, 119 calories (based on the latest info at the Sam Adams web site) could add up with this beer, especially at 4%.

I picked up this brew for 2 reasons, the first being the usual reason you might consider a light beer, the second being that it was recommended by someone whose beer opinion I respect. What a great all around beer -- "light" or not. The flavor and drinkability of the Sam Light make this a great session beer. Back in 2002 I see that Todd says this is a beer he wouldn't normally buy, but I'm pretty impressed with it all around and may have just found a new regular for the fridge.

3.36/5  rDev +3.1%

Had this one left over from a party at my house last week. Perfect time to review.

Light brown in color with a nice fluffy white head that seems to last. Not much of a smell, just some light malt notes. The taste is very light with not really much there. It task like a really light Bass Ale to me. No hops that I can find. Very easy drinking as I feel like I could have five and not even know if.

Would I have it again? Sure. Just not all the time.

My wife first had this in Logan Airport when the lady in the mini-pub realized the only thing flowing from the taps was normal Boston Lager and that cherry thing. The Light was better than the cherry, and my wife liked that it was a decent beer given its light name.

Since then we've had it around the house a number of times, and not one to turn down beer, I've had a couple. As an individual beer, its nothing too special, but in the class of light lagers, its pretty good. Its got some hop and malt aroma, some hop and malt flavor, and you feel more like you've been drinking beer than drinking water, which is more than I can say for most American Light Lagers.

There's not really any advantage to pouring it from the bottle to a glass, but I secretly enjoy drinking from the bottle now and then. Better to do it with a beer that won't blossom when poured into the appropriate glass.

3.34/5  rDev +2.5%

From the Sam Adams Classic Winter Pack.

Pours a copper color with a thin, patchy head that keeps very well, does not look like any light beer I've come across, appears dark in color for a light beer. As the bottle states - two row malt and cascading hops, these seem to be very well balanced, the taste of malt, grain and a bit chalky is followed by just a bit of a watery taste, clearly the best light beer I've sampled, probably a good marketing tactic for future converts!

3.65/5  rDev +12%

Poured into pilsner glass. Poured amber not piss yellow like most light beers. Actually has malty flavor that is very smooth with no aftertaste. If I was ranking this just against other light beers, this would have gotten much higher rating, but I’m rating it among all beers. Definitely not a lighter version of the Boston Lager, tastes totally different.

3.88/5  rDev +19%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This light lager poured a clear amber color and produced a nice white head. The head retention is average and the lacing was a bit below average. The aroma had soft hints of grain and a slight amount of hops. The taste of the beer was light in body, it had a sweet malt flavor and a ever so slight hint of caramel and citrus. In context of other so called "light beers" on the market, this has to be the best that I have had to date. This beer has flavor, character and aroma. Like Papa Johns says Better ingredients, better beer!

4.25/5  rDev +30.4%

3.52/5  rDev +8%

12 oz bottle at 42 degrees into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

A: It pours a clear and tea-colored light brown with a finger of white head that doesn't stick around.

S: Fruity esters, light caramel, and bread malts.

T: Light toffee, caramel, toast, berries, and some sour notes late.

M: It has a light body with above-average carbonation and a crisp finish.

O: This tastes okay and is beyond quaffable.

4.25/5  rDev +30.4%

2.75/5  rDev -15.6%

Sam Adams Light from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)