Samuel Adams Hefeweizen - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams HefeweizenSamuel Adams Hefeweizen

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 01-02-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Hefeweizen Alström Bros
1.72/5  rDev -46.1%

I will begin with saying that I got this beer mixed in with my 6 pack of Sam Adams Porter. Since I truly enjoy a hefeweizen, I was not too upset with this finding. I never looked at the exp. date, but something was def. wrong with this beer. In the end, I poured this beer out to be replaced with a Flying Dog Imperial Porter.

Appearance - Said it was an unfiltered beer, but poured almost as clear as a bud light. Not cloudy at all and had no buildup of yeast at bottom.

Smell - Was a very weak wheat/banana smell.

Taste - Nothing like a hefeweizen.

Mouthfeel - Weak and slightly sour. This beer had to of been expired.

Drinkability - Poured it out before I was done.

I hate to give Sam Adams such a bad review, as I enjoy a number of their beers. But this one was terrible. I will have to try it again at another time and hopefully change my review, but will be in no hurry to do so. (891 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -45.8%

Yellow, leaning slightly to amber. Unfiltered, hazy body sits below a white head that leaves minimal lacing.

Hay, wheat, dry grass, a bit of citrus creeps into the picture. Finishes with an astringent lemon splash. Fruit profile is really depleted and flat out missing. Far from expecting a huge mash of flavors but this is really one sided and boring.

Notes: Lemon can be effective in alot of brews but this one it really just annoys more than anything. Not for me. (472 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

poured a dull yellow color with a great head that lasted somewhat smelled pourly of wheats that werent that appealing to the nose tasted very disappointed watery wheat very loose arrangement of wheats and very unbalanced and watery light sensations that dull out any valued taste i couldnt finish this one never again

sammy is all right but not this beer i guess thats why this one is not the flagship just didnt do it for me at all my recommendation? dont waste your time (476 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -41.1%

Hefe it is not.

Slightly cloudy straw body with a but lasting head leaving some decent lacing.

Smells clean and mildly malty. No yeast characteristics at all.

The taste is slight wheat with a wax aftertate. Really very unpleasing.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated and very drying.

A complete miss. Not only not a hefeweizen, as the bottle claims, but just a bad beer. (370 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -41.1%

Dark yellow and only mildly cloudy brew. Sitting atop is a shock white head with decent staying power.

Smell is oddly subdued. There is a whiff of wheat there, but not fresh and sharp as you'd expect of a hefe.

Taste isn't much better. No real flavor of wheat malt until near the end, when an anemic taste works its way out of the aftertaste. Small bit of alcoholic/metallic tang in the swallow as well. Thin mouthfeel.

I'm loathe to give this a poor rating, because I really like SA Cherry Wheat, and I don't imagine this is anything but the same beer without the cherries. But as a straight hefe, there are several breweries that do the style better. I'll finish the sixer but there'll be no sequel in my fridge after. (729 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -40.4%

Other than the color and mouthfeel, nothing else about this beer reminded me of a Hefeweizen. Had an extremely strong alcoholic finish that lingered way too long. Could have been skanked, but overall, I won't be picking up another one of these again. (250 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -39.8%

I typically love beers brewed by Sam Adams, but this beer is not something I'd expect from them. As a hefeweizen, this beer is a joke. As soon as I poured it, I knew it wasn't going to be as good as others. The color is not as hazy as a hefeweizen should be. I was actually able to see my fingers through the glass. It did have a nice body, as it was still slipping down the side of the glass by the time I finished. The smell was a little bitter, as was the taste. I don't mind bitter beers, but hefeweizens aren't supposed to be bitter.

Overall, it was rough to drink. I bought one six pack just to try it, and I'm sure I'll only buy one six pack in my lifetime. If you want an excellent hefeweizen, try Widmer Brothers (722 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -39.8%

A-Has a golden appearance not much else to say

S-Smells much better than it tastes. Pleasant aroma

T-Very bad aftertaste, not to mention it tastes bad goin down

M-Feels ok...It should have been a little colder but thats my fault

D-I couldn't have more than one or two of these. One of the worst SA has to offer.

Overall: Part of the summer sampler pack...I would never buy this in a 6 pack. One of the worst hefeweizens I have had. Pales in comparison to even Schlafly's offering not to mention the Weihenstephaner that I've tried. Spend your money elsewhere. (564 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -38.6%

Sept 05 notched, out of the sampler pack. Thanks to Pegasus for sharing a bottle.
Aroma: Has something gone wrong? A very artificial sour citric smell with mild lemon.
Appearance: Dirty blond glass topped with a fluffy white head that collared very quickly. Started out great, but no retention
Flavor: That sour note in the aroma carries through against all my hopes. I get wet grain, artificial banana flavoring, and DMS cooked veggies. There is also an “adjunct” taste going on. Bottom line: dishwater.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, ok carbonation level.
Overall Impression: Just nasty tasting. None of the refreshing wheat and banana/clove flavors I look for in a Hefe. Back to the drawing board with this one.
Avoid! (723 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -36.4%

Sam Adams- Hefeweizen

A- Bright clear yellow with a quick disappating head. Heavily carbonated.
S- A light yeasty clove aroma that turns to funky straw/hay and corn husk.
T- Very light and sweet malt, no banana, bubblegum, or clove, just bland dry earthy notes. A slight dash of lemon.
M- Sweet corn syrup like flavor leaves a earthy straw dryness on the tongue.

Overall- A huge disappointment! Drinkable but not a hefe in my eyes. Very weak! (445 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -36.4%

drink by sept 09

pours hazy gold with a 1 finger head that leaves spotted lacing

smells of sour malts

taste like sour malts with some spice and maybe a some banana

mouthfeel is way to heavy for this style with not much carbonation

drinkability - the only way i am ever going to be drinking this beer is when its sold in the sample 12 packs

overall - sam adams should not be allowed to even print hefeweizen on the bottle (427 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -35.4%

12oz brown bottle from the mix 12-pack. Pours a cloudy, pale and peachy amber colored beer topped with a two-finger creamy, foam white head with nice retention and a subtle stick to the glass.

Very faint phenolics, some citric zest, grains and touch of bubblegum. Leafy hop notes.

Smooth, creamy mouthfeel upfront that turns raw and gritty feel on the palate with a leafy hop character. Touch of lemony zest, back by a wheat twang. Milky flower stem sap. Dry stick of bubblegum flavor, light sweetness beneath a grainy character. Minerally. Dry finish with tannins all over the palate. Finish lingers way too long, and is extremely unpleasant.

Not working for me. This is a pretty bland attempt at a Hefeweizen, and definitely more of an American Wheat Ale (and a poor one at that, staying consistent for the style). Hops seem out of place and overbearing. Malt profile is weak and annoying with its clingy tannins. The wheat is out-of-control and unbalanced. There's simply nothing holding this beer together.

I expect more from "America's World-Class Beer (tm)" (1,075 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -35.4%

Pours a cloudy yellow with a small white head

Smells like wheat, maybe a little lemony. None of the banana or clove you come to expect from a good hefe.

Taste is primary wheat with a little sweat malt. Again, not your classic hefe taste that I expected.

Drinkability is not very good, though I did have another because there was nothing better to drink while listening to some good music.

I normally like Sam Adams offerings, but I did not care for this one. (462 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -34.2%

A: Pours a cloudy, brown amber color with a two-finger creamy, foam white head. Slight retention to the glass.

S: Very nice citrus and mild hop notes.

T&M: Smooth and creamy mouthfeel but very watery aftertaste. Almost no flavor to speak of. Touch of lemony flavor and wheat twang. Light sweet taste.

Probably the worst Hefeweizen I've ever had. I do remember my first try several years back was an unpleasant experience. Recently bought a sampler case of Sam's and I don't know what I'll do with the remaining hefe, but I'm sure it'll be last of the group. (562 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -34.2%

Pours a dark golden to light orange. The head pours white and bubbly but thin and fully receding.

Smell is very hard to detect. There's a bit of fruit sweetness almost to the point of smelling spoiled. There's a bit of caramel hiding in there too... this is a hefeweizen?

Taste is really nothing special. Really tasted like cheap macro swill...

Mouthfeel is fine. Theres a decent amount of carbonation but it's soft and goes down easily.

Drinkability is hurt by the fact that THIS IS NOT A HEFEWEIZEN! (508 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -33.9%

I had this earlier in the year. What a terrible, terrible impersonation of the Hefe-Weiss style. Luckily I was able to use the three bottles of this from a sampler pack in beer bread or else it would of gone down the drain. The bottles were fresh, but the flavor was truly disappointing. No banana or clove aromas, no complexity, and a stale off-tasting and boring malt flavor that is common with all Sam Adam's wheat beers. This beer also damaged the flavor of my beer bread. I am very glad that they retired this beer and it may prevent newcomers from trying better versions of the hefe weisse style. (602 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -32.3%

Looks ok for a "Hefe" slightly cloudy golden color. Nearly macro in color, if it weren't for the cloudiness. Smells sweet and malty. Taste is much the same. I get nothing but malted wheat and not much else. This is a below-average interpretation of the style, but if I really wanted a six of Hefeweizen, I would go with a German brew and not an American knockoff like this one. (377 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -32.3%

I don't think this beer stacks up well versus German hefeweizens, and is very non-exciting. Life's short; I'd recommended something else.

Poured a hazy dark yellow into a weizen glass (I forgot I owned). Good head formation...looks generally like a hefeweizen should. Aroma is candy-like and lightly sweet, which seemed wrong versus the spiciness of European hefeweizens. Mouthfeel is full, but the taste is a bit of wheat but generally very unexciting. I won't be having this again. (486 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -31.7%

A - Opaque hazy dark orange color. Head is bright white and fades to a thin film. Lacing is very minimal.

S - Trademark Sam Adams caramel malt smell, with a tiny bit of lemon and some earthy wheat.

T - Carbonation bites a bit at first, then there's a light caramel malt taste with some wheat characteristics. Little to no taste after swallowing.

M - Thin to medium consistency and too much carbonation.

D - Yeah, it's not a hefeweizen, its a very bland overly carbonated wheat beer. Reminds me of Boulevard's wheat beer; very bland. Guess the only way they can sell this beer is by putting it in their mix packs. (626 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -31.3%

12-oz bottle poured into a Weizen glass. At the time of this review BA is listing the beer as an American Pale Wheat Ale. However, it is named a Hefeweizen, and I have no reason to believe that is not what Sam Adams intended so that is the style against which I am judging it.

A = Slightly hazy orange yellow, this does not have the nice thick swirling haze I look for in hefe's it may not be filtered, but it also seems pretty lacking in filterable materials, head is a nice big forthy white and it leaves medium lace.

S = Wow, this is a very offputting nose, it smells like the malted vinegar they make to use with freedom fries, later I get some spun sugar candy scents but that is offputting too (in a hefe). As it sits in my glass and warms I start to detect some stronger malt scents, but they are not those I associate with a hefe, I can smell toast, freshly dug earth, other similar malty smells. This is nothing like I expect a hefe to smell.

T = The taste is not quite as bad as the smell, but it is very uninspiring, I can only faintly detect the flavors I associate with and look for in a hefe, I taste bananas but only very lightly, there is almost no citrus, there is a strong malt backbone that can be enjoyed, but I would not have marketed this beer as a hefe if I was relying on people to enjoy it for the toasted malty flavors of a scone just taken out the oven.

M = Medium-light body, frothy but not overly so carbonation, great mouthcoating.

D = I have to rank this as a low drinkability. It could be enjoyed possibly as an American blond ale (maybe, but I am not necessarily concluding that), but they seem to have missed the mark of a hefe by such a large margin, I just cannot give it a great review for drinkablity. (1,744 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -31%

Pours a dull, cloudy yellow, white head leaves no lace. Aroma was wheat and candy lemon.

Taste, whoa, not impressed at all. Seemed like artificial sweetner with artificial 'sourner' as well (yeah I know it ain't a word). No hops, bad clove taste in the mouthfeel. Weird bitterness to it. Seems like it would have had the 'not a real hefeweizen' tab on it. Would be nice to tame down the lemon and include some banana or other spice. Light body, heavy saturation of undesireable flavor. Couldn't even give it drinkability points, or 'summer' beer qualifications.

Was disappointed especially given the price on this, at almost $9 a 6 pack (639 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -30.7%

What is this? This certainly has to be one of the worst attempts at a hefe that I have had. Pours a hazy golden colour, but it stops there. Taste is a bit wheaty without any of the banana-bread, clove , slight sourness of a good german hefe. If its an american wheat just say that. To call it a hefeweizen is just misleading. No matter though because what ever it is or wants to be, I want no part of it.. One of the weaker efforts from SA lately. (447 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -29.8%

This beer may be listed as an American Pale Wheat Ale, but dammit, the label says Hefeweizen, so that's what I'm comparing this to.
A: The head was a nice 3/4" fluffy off white pile. Lacing is scant at best. This beer doesn't look cloudy, it looks like someone dripped dishwashing detergent in it. Streaky, gritty, and stagnant is how I'd describe it.
S: Slightly fruity without any of the clove-y banana-y goodness I expect from a true Hefe. A bit too much alcohol smell in the nose.
T: Slightly bitter, slightly sweet. The flavors are almost there, just not bold enough to get a better score. This beer tastes more bland than I would like.
M: Crisp and pretty clean. Not too much of an alcohol feel, despite the smells. No aftertaste. Good level of carbonation.
D&N: I'm very thankful that I live in Pennsylvania and can enjoy a nice Penn Weizen. This beer is not bad if compared only to itself, but it just can't measure up to what the style should be. Try it for yourself, it's not a bad beer, it's just a bad Hefe. (1,024 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -29.2%

A: Somewhat dark, clear yellow brew with a thinnish white head.

S: Strong (somewhat unpalatable) yeast flavor, with cooked veggies and a very faint hint of honey.

T: Dominant yeast flavor with slight funk and detectable phenols. Strange bitterness rears its head at the end.

M: A bit watery, as if the flavor was diluted.

D: I'm usually a fan of Hefeweizens, but this isn't one I'll be returning back to. (410 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -28.5%

I am a true weizen lover, having grown up in Augsburg, Germany (its in Bavaria near Munich). I'm by no means a hophead but bought this in a 6 pack because a friend told me it wasn't half bad for Sam Adams. I was shocked that they didn't add 12 lbs of hops to it! They really took the foot of the hop-gas for this brew, but when I read "unfiltered" on the bottle and poured a glass I pretty much shouted "Bu!!sh!t".

Appearance - Looks like slightly dark yellow water, no cloudiness at all.

Smell - No clove, no banana...curious as to what strain of yeast they used.

Taste - Like weakly hopped, heavily filtered pseudo-hefe.

Mouthfeel - Very mild, no lingering sweet banana or spice taste at all, and piss-poor head retention which shows the lack of wheat in the grist probably.

Drinkability - I could drink these much like I would drink coors light, to get smashed.

I'm generally not a fan of most Sam Adams brews, this one shocked me as to the lack of hops and bitterness. I didn't pour any of it down the drain but I won't be pouring anymore of it down my throat in the future either.

Again I drank 6 bottles of this over a weekend. Eh. (1,144 characters)

Samuel Adams Hefeweizen from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)