Samuel Adams Millennium - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams MillenniumSamuel Adams Millennium

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  21.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Millennium Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

First off, let me note that this was the worst cork I have ever dealt with. If you are preparing to open a bottle, be sure to have a very long corkscrew and be sure it is all the way through the bottom of the cork before attempting to remove. My cork broke in half and it became a nightmare trying to get the rest out. Now...on to the beer.

The beginning pours a beautiful and appetizing caramel color...no head as would be expected. The bottom of the bottle has more of a muddy brown color, so there is definitely sediment in here. It is not chunky however.

The aroma is just a luscious caramel treat. There is a big dose of booze, but not any more than would be expected for a beer this strength. It is just so deep and rich and sweet and perfect. Very similar to Utopias with a lower alcohol burn.

The flavor takes it to the next level. I came in expecting a rich and boozy treat, and while it certainly is rich there really isn't much booze at all considering the style. Sweet caramel and chocolate covered cherry are up front with plenty of dark fruit and apple sweetness following. Almost no heat. My mind is boggled. THIS is 21%? Apple and raisin sweetness lingers on the palate long after swallowing. Brilliant really, one of the best tasting beers I've ever had and certainly the best tasting strong ale.

The body is on the full side of medium and has no carbonation. Fits perfectly with the flavor profile. There is a burn in the back of the throat after swallowing, but it is not fusel at all and is merely a warming sensation.

Overall this beer has blown my mind. I never felt like it could possibly be worth the cash so it was never on my radar, but when this bottle slipped my way for a reasonable price I had to take a chance. And holy shit am I glad I took that chance! I've never been one to say "believe the hype"....but in this case, I'm not sure any other words can be said.

Marc Nolan I owe you in a big way for this one.

A: Pours a nice still chestnut brown. Thick and clingy.

S: Pure sex in a bottle. Rich sweet toffee with brown sugar and nuts. Vanilla, light oak, and booze.

T: I have died and gone to heaven. Wow does this one live up to any expectation that I ever had. Tons of candy sweetness. Toffee, caramel, maple, and brown sugar. Mild candied dark fruits with fresh scratched vanilla beans. Just a dash of the booze I picked up in the nose.

M: Rich, thick, decadent.

D: Awesome I could sip on it until the entire bottle is gone. Pass on the Utopias and seek this one out. It is worth the worth the price it commands on the bidding sites.

4.52/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle 133 / 3000. Cork was super dry, and broke to pieces, thank God I saved the contents from being infiltrated with cork pieces. It poured a hazy brownish red color with no head. When swirled in the snifter it did coat the glass nicely.Aroma of vanilla, caramel and molasses. The alcohol tingled my eyes and nose hairs. Sweet taste of toffee, honey, butterscotch, cinnamon, and molasses. Strong raisin taste with a warm alcohol finish.

3.84/5  rDev -16.7%

Let it be said, and as thedm is my witness, on October 19, 2003, I rated bottle #2421/3000 from the Fort Wayne Pubcrawl. The first observation that I made was the sediment that was floating around on top. I agree with aofoxxy that "sediments are distracting". The second observation was that after I took my taste of this beer I could easily surmise that this is definitely a sipping beer and not one to be guzzled. There was no head with only a few fine sized white bubbles that completely diminished. The nose was strong alcohol, sweet, and some fruitiness. The taste was sweet, fruity and also of alcohol from start to finish. The hue was copperish and the palate was smooth, alcohol, and it had a slightly burning sensation as it was being swallowed and there also was a dry texture to it. I did finish the snifter of this beer as I was not so sure I was going to be able to after sniffing this before I tried it. All in all, I am glad and proud that I have now rated this beer that I have heard so much about since I joined this site this past March. Thanks to my significant other, thedm, for giving me the opportunity to rate this beer!!

4.3/5  rDev -6.7%

Shares more characteristics with a fine sherry or port than any beer i've ever had. A sipper for sure. Rich, nutty, lightly oaky, vanilin, maple, and some light saltiness in the finish, full bodied with an extremely long finish, very tasty. The sweetness is very well balanced. Its hard to believe your actually drinking beer when you have this, very interesting.

4.44/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I sampled this from a bottle at a recent Beer tasting event.

Appearance: Cloudy, golden-brown. No foam.

Smell: Very pleasant caramel aroma. Very nice for inhaling like a brandy or a cognac.

Taste: Sweet, caramel and malt, with the flavor of alcohol noticeable.

Mouthfeel: Thick, smooth, very warming, like brandy. Pleasant on the tongue.

Drinkability: Very drinkable - best if sipped and savored slowly. A very interesting brew. I preferred this to the Utopias (but not by a huge margin).

I was lucky enough to taste this wonderful brew at the 1999 and the 2000 GABF. At the 1999 GABF I was there as the guest of the Eel River Brewery and was at the Saturday (Brewer's/AHBA members) session. I will never forget the taste of the Millennium. This is a striking beer, very complex with a hint of maple (Gee, wonder why). I would really like to taste this in five years, in ten years... I wonder when it will be the best? I think it was in 2000, to share with the one I love - THE BEST.

4.76/5  rDev +3.3%

Availability: limited edition

Presentation: Straight out of the cask at the Boston Beer Co. brewery in Jamaica Plains, MA. However ... The one I'm sitting on comes in a fitted wood case with a "MMM" placard on the front. The bottle is then covered in a wine-style sheath which is also embossed with the "MMM" and the bottle itself is hand signed by Jim Koch with its edition number (1515/3000).

Appearance: Syrupy consistency and a rich amber in colour.

Smell: Mixed fruits, delicate, candy-like, big banana and mild scotch in the aroma.

Taste: Smoooooth. Notes of Jack Daniel's, huge vanilla, bourbon, spicy alcohol and caramel flavours. Body is ultra-rich and full.

Notes: Brewed with maple syrup and aged in old Jack Daniel's barrels. I've had this straight from the cask at the brewery and out of a corny-keg at the 2000 GABF. I recently picked up bottle 1515/3000 -- the only one left at Bread & Circus in Central Square, Cambridge, MA. They only charged me $150 for it!

My above (quick) notes are from a tasting at the brewery. Definitely a sipping drink.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Samuel Adams Millennium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)