Samuel Adams George Washington Porter - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams George Washington PorterSamuel Adams George Washington Porter

pDev: n/a
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Porter |  ABV ?

This is not the batch brewed for the Brewer Patriot Collection. This was a test batch brewed for the Boston market in 2004.

(Beer added by: AllThingsNinja on 03-26-2004)
2.75/5  rDev n/a

2/5  rDev n/a

1/5  rDev n/a

1.8/5  rDev n/a

I got this in the mail from a friend in Rhode Island. This beer poured nice, but didnt necessarily smell well. I was expecting a nice porter from Samuel Adams, but this isnt really what I got out of the bottle. The taste wasnt strong or memorable at all and I dont think that I would buy it myself in the future.

1.53/5  rDev n/a
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A very light brown color with a nitro head. Smell is almost non-existant. Taste and feel is honestly like slightly dirty water. No noticable malt, hops, alcohol. All you get is the slight off-flavors of the yeast and a mineral-like finish. I would be shocked if this beer was over 2% alcohol. I would also be shocked if another keg of this beer made it out to the public.

1.6/5  rDev n/a

I sampled the test keg at Anam Cara, and I must say it's a porter that would disappoint Mr. Washington, whose personal recipe brews up to about 10% ABV. Sam's take is nothing close. In fact, a pint of Guinness better meets the Porter style than this lifeless creation.

A pint of this off of nitro-tap at Anam Cara was looked like any other nitro-tapped beer, although a shade or two paler in it's opacity. I'm not a nitro-tap hater by any means, but wasn't expecting this beer served this way.

The aroma was, at best, absent. There might have been hints of cream, but nothing significant.

The flavor was also lacking in intensity, and complexity. It tastes much more macro-swill than Guinness - which I realize is not a porter but is really my closest (but ever so distant) point of comparison. There is nothing to this beer. It's very creamy, with some very minor coffee and chocolate notes.

The mouthfeel is airy. Part of that is the nitro, but the rest is a consequence of this insubstantial brew.

Drinkability: It's quaffable, but offers less interesting flavors than a glass of water.

Samuel Adams George Washington Porter from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.