Samuel Adams Cream Stout - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cream StoutSamuel Adams Cream Stout

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 10-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cream Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,223 | Hads: 2,500

I was given a bottle of this from a friend that finally found it in our area. I was very excited seeing that is had such good ratings and i am a sucker for dark beers ( especially stouts ).
The pour was about 2 finger, and the head lasted the whole enjoyable time i drank this beer.
The smell was coffee, caramel, chocolate, and slight hops. The taste was out of this world for me. The chocolate was overall the leader of the pack once it hits the taste buds and slide back the flavors pour from chocolate to coffee to finally a faint milky caramel sweetness. Then the great part the pallet opens up for the final hint of alcohol to make this combination a favorite of mine. From cool summer nights to hot humid days i believe i would enjoy this beer no matter what. (767 characters)

Poured from a bottle out of a 6pk running at $8.99 to a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice dark color with a khaki color 2 inch head looks very creamy.

Smell: I pick up dark chocolate notes as the overall major followed by coffee,toffee and a nice sweet smell to top it off, almost smells like a chocolate cake an overall inviting smell.

Taste: Rich delicious taste from the minute you take the first sip you'll taste the coffee/dark chocolate a strong cacao taste comes as the after taste,the sweetness comes alive the body of the beer is bold very creamy the beer goes down smooth nothing to drink in less then a minute savoring this beer to the last minute is a must.

Overall: To round it up this is a excellent example of a stout one of my favorite beers from the SA collection I often have trouble finding this beer (827 characters)

This is my go-to beer. It's the only craft brew that is worth a flip at my HEB. I can sit down and relax while drinking this one...anytime. It's not too heavy but has a creaminess to it. Black coloring...tan head. Lacing all the way down the glass. I even HB'd one that I could match it with. Still waiting on the conditioning. If you were to ask me which beer should be a staple in everyone's fridge...this one. The price is better than other stouts too. (455 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +25.8%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass. There was a best before date on the label.

Appearance: It has a very dark brow color that is very close to opaque in appearance. On top the head, which is dark tan in color, starts off thick and creamy then slowly settles down to thinner layer that has good retention lasting to the last sip. Its lacing is slick and slides down the glass as I drink.

Smell: The aroma has a big sweet and malty nose with a pleasant roasted character and a touch of chocolate and coffee notes.

Taste/Mouth feel: The taste starts off with a smooth malt flavor that builds a nice roasted character with the same hints of dark chocolate and roasted coffee in the aroma. Hop flavor is mild and adds only a slight metallic/herbal presence. The finish has a nice slow, somewhat dryer roasted coffee fade. On the palate it has a very creamy and smooth feeling. It has soft carbonation and a good solid medium to full body.

Notes: Outstanding!!! This is a very tasty stout with a nice slick creamy texture that I really enjoyed!!! (1,082 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +25.8%

pours black in the glass with a medium tan two finger head that hold well and very nice lacing. rich coffee, sweet toffee aromas. taste, dark caramel, fresh brewed dark roast coffee and slightly bitter chocolate with hops coming through to balance it all nicely. smooth mouthfeel and very goog carbonation. glad its brewed year round because i could drink it year round for sure. (379 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +25.8%

The body is a black/darkest of brown color, with a light tan/off-white, creamy head that dissipates into a tiny layer of creamy foam. There is some lacing, but not as much as I expected.

The aroma is sweet, and typical of a stout. There's a little bit more of a vanilla hint to it than say, a Guinness. Some dark roasted malts hit the nose, followed by dark coffee, and some chocolate/cocoa as well.

As for the taste, it's sweet, sort of vanilla-like, with loads of dark coffee and dark chocolate, finishing with a slight vanilla/cream hint. The hop bitterness is very low; most of the bite comes from the carbonation, I would say. It is pretty carbonated.

The drinkability is beyond high, and an extremely smooth beer, at that.

Not to demean Guinness in any way, but I'd buy this over it any day of the year. This is one of my new favorite, year-round beers. I'm so glad I tried this. (892 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +25.8%

Dark, creamy goodness with strong tones of coffee, chocolate, and caramel. This is the Baileys of beer. Sweetness is just right, not overpowering. Rich, semi-thick feel when it goes down. Try this one immediately after vanilla ice cream for a real treat. My favorite offering from Samuel Adams so far, and one that I return to time and time again. (347 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +24.6%

A wonderful SA product. The side of the bottle lends insight as to why it's called 'Cream' stout. Not just because it's sweet, but because 'back in the day' all other stouts were considered milk while Sam's brew was considered the cream. And there you are.

Pours smoothly and thickly into the glass with little fanfare and no splashing. I poured this into a standard pint glass although the bottle is 4 ounces shy, right? A fine aroma, reminded me of how Kahlua smells. Milk chocolate colored head, I didn't get much of one and what head formed didn't last very long.

Smooth on the drink, first impression is the chocolate and roasted grain, yielding in a few seconds to an initial coffee surge. That yields to a slight bitterness which doesn't really dry the mouth per se, just clears the way for this great resonating coffee finish, unlike the first. It's hard to explain, but the second coffee hit sort of combines with the olfactory after-processing of that first whiff. Sort of like the lingering smell of a freshly roasted bag of coffee beans, that smell is kinda in your mouth along with the taste, a great sensation I haven't experienced before. Maybe due to the reasonable alcohol level which doesn't clarify one taste component over another, but lets them meld happily. (1,285 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +24.1%

Wow, I am blown away. I never thought that this stalwart of the Boston Beer Co. would be THIS good.... where do I start? The amazing frothy, bubbly head? The insanely captivating chocolatey, roasted malt aroma?? The dense, balanced, and bursting with malt cavalcade of flavors??? Oh forget it - just go buy it. It's a no-brainer...a truly perfect stout. I had seven of these last night at the pub, and it's amazing that I waited this long to try something that has been out so long and is so widely available. I think I found my new favorite session beer. Excellent!! (567 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +23.5%

Poured a dark brown, thick rich head with good retention.
smell is of lightly roasted coffee and chocolate.
taste is EXCEPTIONAL! all kinds of flavors coming through here.
mouthfeel is rich and creamy.
drinkability is great! I have made this a session beer this winter...SOOOO much better than Guiness...just very satisfying...a VERY well done stout! love it! (360 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

Dark brown, almost black with just a little light showing through. Off white to tan head that's nice and creamy and lingers throughout the glass and leaves heavy lacing.

Sweet and roasty, pretty subtle. Picking up some chocolate and a touch of coffee. Very pleasant, but would like a little more.

Very much like the nose, a super well balance between the sweet and the roasty - nothing takes over and nothing lingers. Tasty dark chocolate, the usual lactose sweetness and just a touch of roast. Very very nice.

Fairly heavy, semi light carbonation, very creamy and smooth. A dessert, yet refreshing at the same time.

Very impressed by this one. The balance is perfect - not too sweet, not too heavy, just a great example of the style. (742 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

Pours dark brown with a finger length light brown head. There's an aroma of roasted malts and coffee. I can also smell some chocolate. The first sip delivers the roasted malt flavor as well as the coffee and hints of chocolate. There's a pleasing mild bitterness. The flavors linger on the palatte. This is mildly carbonated and abundant lacing is left on the glass. This beer is medium bodied and very smooth and creamy. This is a well balanced, top notch beer. (462 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +22.3%

Black with ruby red highlights and a creamy brown head and decent carbonation which leaves sheets of lace. Sweet dark chocolate (unsweetened baker's chocolate?) aroma. Nice, chocolatey, roasty, and sweet but not nearly as sweet as Mackeson's. Medium-full bodied with a roasty espresso-like finish.

Per Label: Roasted chocolate malt, unmalted barley and English hops.

Per M.J. - U.B.: 1056 OG/14 P; 4.4% ABV; Pale, crystal, and chocolate malts, malted wheat, and roast barley; Fuggles and Goldings hops.

Per B.A.B. book: 5% ABV

Purchase Before: 02/2000
Tasted: 09/19/03 (581 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +22.3%

12oz bottle from the brewmaster's collection

Appearance: A blackish shade of black. Tan head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Coffee and cream. Mmmm.

Taste: Thank you lord. Thank you Boston Beer Company. The taste is rich and coffee-like. Just plain indulgent. There's some dark chocolate flavor as well. Strong coffee aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Heavenly creamy and smooth.

Drinkability: One of the most drinkable beers I've ever had, regardless of being a stout. It took some considerable self-restraint to make the glass last twenty minutes.

Beef Notes: One of my all-tme favorites. This beer almost leaves me speechless. It's even one that many non-beer drinkers don't mind, and at $7 a six pack, you're not going to find better bang for your buck. I'll be drinking this for some time to come. (798 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

The Sam Adams Cream stout pours a nice dark ebony black with a frothy brown milkshake looking head. The smell is of roasted malts and chocolate mocha. Hints of espresso. The taste is incredible, milky smooth with roasted aftertones. The best stout I've had and one to always have in my fridge. This is a perfect winter beer, fire, sweats and a nice cream stout. Excellent. (372 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

Appearance: Out of a winter classics twelve pack it pours black as night with a thick tan cream head.

Aroma: The malt aroma is massive coming out of this wonderful stout. Tremendous chocolate notes along with coffee. Great hints of burnt hops that rise out of the top of this beauty.

Taste: A slight crispness to it at the start then it gets smooth and creamy. Big time chocolate espresso flavor with great notes of burnt hops. The dark roasted malts are incredible every flavor there is gargantuan.

Notes: This work of art is so drinkable such a prime example of a winter brew.Cheers (588 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

I'll be adding this one to my "regulars" list,
This has a lot going for it: Creamy full head that lasts a while, deep dark color, non bitter (less hoppy?). Absolutely a more than one beer, beer!
I should point out the freshness date was close to passing (Sept.2011) so I would think it even better when "new" (308 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +21%

My first review here.

It's been in the refrigerator overnight, so it is COLD!

A: Looks good, quite a head, sort of like lightly toasted bread in color. about the consistency of whipped cream.

S: Smells like most beer at first, then gets a sense of grain & something I Can't rally place, but it is definitely good.

T: WOW! Creamy, a good grain taste, with some not-very-subtle overtones of coffee - I like that - and some chocolate. A definite aftertaste of coffee (But I don't remember noticing it the first time I drank it) to it.

M: A bit bland, no real carbonation to "fizz" it, and the creaminess seemed a bit weak. Not bad, mind you, just a bit weak.

D: Yes. Not as heavy as Guinness to me, less "edgy. too. As I finish this review I'm already looking forward to my next one.

Do I like it? It's been my favorite from Sam Adams ever since I discovered it @ 1 1/2 years ago. A Great Winter Beer. but I enjoy it all year around! (939 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours an opaque brown with a rocky head that sticks before eventually dwindling to a nice lace. Smells of coffee and chocolate. The taste is great. A mocha flavor that finishes clean with almost no aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel as the beer rolls across the tongue and palate. One of my favorites. I can drink this anytime with anything. (341 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +20.5%

A= Pours thick with a nice creamy head.

S= Not to strong for a stout but very coffe like.

T= I love the taste. Its strong expresso/coffe with a nice choclate finish to it. Its has many layers of flavors to it all which are great.

M= Light carbonation maybe medium but not very thick which is great and not too watery either just right.

D= This beer i can drink one after another easily. But i must say it is always is my last beer of the nite no matter what its delicious. Sam Adams makes great beers and i dont like people who knock them b/c they became big (just means all there brews are liked IMHO). I love the microbrews (Like Flying Dog or Descutes) but i wont hate on SA just b/c.

Serving type: bottle (713 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

Aroma is very strong and smoky, with hints of coffee and chocolate. It just screams "Drink me!" It pours a beautiful sable, nearly black and opaque, with a thick tan head. Flavor does not disappoint - it is rich and smoky with whispers of chocolate and coffee. It goes down smooth and lively and leaves a pleasant aftertaste like burnt coffee that has a touch of chocolate in it. A must for any stout and porter fanatic. (420 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +19.7%

Wow! This is one fantastic brew! Poured very dark almost completely black. The foam was a lovely light brown color that had staying power. The smell was wonderful, smelling of coffee and dark chocolate. The taste was fantastic! Coffee with unsweetened dark chocolate flavors. The feel was just nice with a thick creamy feel that was nearly perfect.

This was good! And I will drink this over and over as much as it is available! (429 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +19.7%

Pours a completely black color with a thin head and some lacing. Aroma is sweet and malty upfront with just a hint of roastiness. Taste is very nice, sweet, roasty and yet has a nice, clean finish. Leaves a roasty aftertaste that is somewhat sweet as well. It's not overly roasty nor overly sweet. Very drinkable as well. Definitely a beer I would drink again.

I think I lucked out on some very good brews from Sam Adams, based on such a random selection. (457 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +19.7%

Samuel tells me to enjoy this brewski before the month notched as his raises his frothy flagon of fine fermentation...its notched November and it be September...yars good.
A: Poured into Samuel Adams perfect pint. Head is huge and darker than my khakis bruh. The head is more fingers than I can fit in the cargo pocket cuh. Blacker than Wesley Snipes Daddy neck. And I say his dad because his head is chunky as a muh-fugga and be hanging round eyy-where.
S:Woah Noah, this brew smells like cocoa coffee creme pie...a la mode wit eyy-thing.
T&M: Smooth n creamy goodness, mellow chocolate tones, nice big flavor that is too legit to quit...pounding these brews to chase the dragon that is the taste. Super Solid Stout (Sx3)
O: This brew is the shiznit, it doesn't weigh in at much but it makes up for that with its charisma. Shout outs to Ulmer at Greenes for the hookup on this, that kid will look out for good peoples. Killed the sixer as to steady my karma and appease the brew god, Ahura-Malta. (997 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +19%

My favorite of the Sam Adams beer line. Many ask how I can drink a dark beer. The chocolate and Carmel mixed with hops makes it what it is. No doubt about it, this a man's beer. Only bad thing about this beer is its cost. 8.99 for a 6 pack. Although I did find a discount for a 12 pack for 10.88, still a great beer (315 characters)

Samuel Adams Cream Stout from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)