Samuel Adams Cream Stout - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cream StoutSamuel Adams Cream Stout

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 10-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cream Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,223 | Hads: 2,500
1.63/5  rDev -58.7%

Poured a clear, dark burgundy with an off white head. The lack of opacity in this brew surprised me because stouts should never let even the slightest bit of light through. The head subsided pretty quickly and the aroma was very lacking in all that I desire from a stout. The flavor hit a little closer to home but was lacking in roasted character as well as malt complexity. Basically it tasted like a 1554 black ale from New Belgium with a touch more malt. Mouthfeel was bad as it tasted pretty thin and the carbonation was way to high. Not smooth, not creamy, this stout is not one i would ever buy again but i was glad that i only bought a single bottle. (658 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -46.3%

Nothing special from this stout. I was expecting more but the beer is mediocre at best. If it's the only stout available I'll drink it. The head was nice and thick thick and slow to dissipate. The initial smell after the poor left me without emotion or anticipation. Not overly bitter taste like Guiness, but too thin in body. Not sweet enough finish for a cream stout. This beer left me with an empty feeling. (410 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -40.3%

Bought a 12 oz bottle individually, let it cool to ice-cold, and prepared to enjoy...

Unfortunately, I had to wait 'til my next beer to enjoy. This was bad. I had hoped for so much more based on a good reputation.

The appearance and smell weren't bad - smelled like a strange stout, which I expected was the cream flavor. Appearance was solid in the glass.

Then I tasted. It tastes like I poured milk into a Guinness. Not good. The mouthfeel was like a regular Sam Adams, not a stout. And drinkability was very poor given the above features, although I suppose if it tasted any kind of good I could drink lots given the watery mouthfeel.

I say: Avoid. (657 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -35.4%

Aroma carries definite notes of dark chocolate and some coffee as well. Somewhat roasted, somewhat sweet.

Taste has a body of bittersweet chocolate, coffee, and roasted malts...a little bit of a sour note as well. Finishes with the roasted chocolate and a bit of bitterness as well. If there's a lactose or sweet quality to it, I'm not getting it. Seems more like a light stout to me with a bit of sourness.

So all in all, I'm not quite impressed. I'd hoped for a silkier, sweeter beer. I ended up with a somewhat thin stout that doesn't stand out. (550 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Strong chocolate aroma - pours smooth with an average head that dissipates to a thin lacing. Bitter taste with a hint of strong coffee. More carbonation that your average stout - not the flat mouthfeel of a Guinness. Aroma and bitter coffee tast were a bit much for me. I prefer a smoother stout such as Guinness. (313 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -31.6%

Big meh, pours like a beer soaked in some brazil nuts. Little bit o foam, toffee and nut aroma.

Looks weak for a stout. Dirty color, nothing rich jet black to it. Tastes like more toffee, a lil coffee, a christmas mixed nuts sampler, and like someone put a cigarette out in it the night before. Tobacco, but with ash as part of the flavor profile.

Resulting mouthfeel, gets some points, because its not as harsh after a few sips. Can't recommend this one, its the bottom of the barrel for stouts. (498 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -30.9%

Appears a dark brown with a nice tan head. The head will disappear but laces the glass. The lacing quickly sinks back into the brew.
Smell is sweet of either vanilla or caramels.
The taste has sweetness to it, finishes with a creamy hint.
Mouthfeel is slick and carbonated.
Drinkability is all right...this is my first cream stout and I wasn’t too fond of the creaminess. But I will try another one to compare to. (418 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

I seem to be missing something with this offering from Sam. Aftertaste is like licking an ashtray. I enjoy a smokey stout, but this one seems to be overboard. (158 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Bottle has a gold cap and Sam Adams cream stout logo. 2007 date

Appearance - Pours a dark black with a 1 inch tan head. Thick lacing around the glass. Looks like a damn fine stout.

Smell - Very faint smell. Lite coffee aroma, and a touch of faint chocolate. Not as aromatic as I was expecting.

Taste - Cofee, and bakers chocolate are the first that come to mind. Flavor doesn't hold very long, and not much of a creamy taste. Dry and bitter in the finish, and holds through for awhile in the aftertaste. Nothing in the taste or mouthfeel to really hold it together. Kinda bland

Drinkability - Disappointing to say the least. I was looking forward to a good Sam Adams brew. If you're looking for a stout to keep in your fridge to hit up a few times a week, there are better options. St. Peter's cream, Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam are just a few that provide a better experience in my opinion. (935 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -28.9%

Disappointed. Expected a lot more from a milk stout. Initial take looked promising, excellent almost black pour with tan head, nice lacing. Aroma started the downhill slide, almost no maltly quality to it. The taste was the bottom of the barrel, way too hoppy, no smoothness or *cream* to the brew. Way too thin and carbonated. All in all, you can find better stouts out there. (377 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured conservatively from a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

A - Very dark brown, near black, and ruby around the edges. Head is a full inch and comprised of many bubble sizes. It dissipates to a spotty froth. Head retention and lacing are average.

S - Smell is mostly sweet malt and cocoa, with a little coffee and grassy hops. The powdered milk smell came out towards the end.

T - Follows the smell. Mostly sweet malt and milk chocolate, followed by a slight coffee and hoppy bitterness. Initially, a cola and metallic bitterness overwhelmed the aftertaste. I wasn't sure I could finish the glass. As it opened up, this aftertaste started to fade and the cocoa and milkiness came through.

M - Medium body but frothy and way too carbonated. It feels very light for a stout. Chalky finish. Started to feel a little sticky after awhile.

D - Low alcohol and controlled sweetness gives it good drinkability. Harsh metallic aftertaste and over carbonation take that away.

This beer was a real jekyll and hyde. Initially, it did not smell like much, had an unpleasant aftertaste, and the frothiness was too much. Over time, it started to smell, taste, and feel much better. I will give it another shot someday. (1,211 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -27.8%

Samuel Adams--Cream Stout--1998 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV (3.0 / 5.0) Cream Stout--Big Sam 1999 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV (3.0 / 5.0) Stout--Dark clear black red color. Good roasted chocolate malt front with medium flavor. Light body, but creamy chalky texture from unmalted barley. Light sweet cherry ale flavor lingers at end. Not dry. Sampled 3/21/1999.

Samuel Adams--Cream Stout--Signature Series 2000 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV (4.0 / 5.0) Stout--Clear dark black color with red hints. Big creamy tan laced head. Mild roasted chocolate espresso hoppy front. Mild dry slightly creamy chalky roasted chocolate fruit body. Balanced mild chalky hop end. Sampled 10/17/2001.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout--Brewmaster's Collection 2004 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV--35 IBU's. (3.75 / 5.0) Stout--Mild head. Clear dark opaque black color. Tangy roasted floral espresso hop front. Thin tangy roasted dry sweet mild cocoa fruit espresso body lingers through dry sweet mild citrus hop end. Thin. 7/12/2004.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout--Brewmaster's Collection 2006 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV--35 IBU's. (4.5 / 5.0) Stout--Lacy espresso head. Clear dark obsidian red black color. Roasted espresso hop front. Chalky crisp dry sweet burnt espresso cocoa caramel rich body. Tangy creamy burnt chocolate hop spice end. Rich flavor. Sampled 11/9/2006.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout--Brewmaster's Collection--Mixed Pack Sampler 2007 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV--35 IBU's. (4.25 / 5.0) Stout--Cream. 6-Pack $5.99. Sediment hint. Dense rocky thick mild lace coffee head. Clear dark red obsidian black color. Rich espresso hop cocoa front. Mild creamy cloying sweet black cherry chocolate roasted tangy mild coffee hop infused malty body. Crusty refreshing dry hop end. Sampled 9/5/2008.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout--Brewmaster's Collection--2010--12 oz. Bottle. 4.90%ABV. 35 IBU's. (2.5 / 5.0) Thin pour. Foamy big thin tan lacy head. Clear dark bronze black color. Mild roasted light chocolate mild hop front. Thin cream hint mildly burnt thin roasted crusty dry Stout toffee cherry body. Dry mild hop spice filling cocoa hint end. Smooth but bland. Sampled 11/19/2010 from 6-Pack purchased for $6.99 @ The Ballard Market, Ballard, Seattle on 7/3/2010. (2,220 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -27.8%

Dated bottle March 2004 (sampled that very month) My bottle just said "Cream Style" but this has to be the right one.
Aroma: Porter nose, lots of chocolate and chocolate malt and toffee smells.
Appearance: Opaque black with slight blood red edges with bright light. An off white head formed but boiled down to a thin well-fed sheet.
Flavor: A touch astringent. The alcohol comes through unpleasantly and the roasted malt just doesn’t shine. Balanced, but toward bland rather than united. A harsh bitter finishes the taste and lasts too long.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but it has a ragged feel, not the smooth soft roundness of other cream stouts.
Overall Impression: Just didn’t care for it. I expected a smoother, richer beer and this just doesn’t fit the bill. Not recommended.

Revisit: Maybe I got an off bottle, but I'm not seeing all the flaws I noted earlier in this brew. Still not OUTSTANDING, but not bad. Have to kick it up in mouthfeel and taste, I got some mild coffee and chocolate notes. Still a bit ragged and disjointed in my book though. There are still better stouts. (1,097 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -27.6%

This beer was one of my favs, along with nearly all other SA beers, over a decade ago. I wonder if they have gotten worse, or if I have gotten better. This one seems to have fallen particularly far from grace; whereas Boston Ale is as good as ever.

A - Very dark brown with a wee tan-ruby head clinging around the edges. The head looks like it has soap in it, with the irregular bubbles floating around.

S - The aroma is mostly roasted malt that is semi-rank; it ends up smelling quite a bit like stale coffee.

T - The taste is only scarcely better than the smell; where I remember it tasting like cocoa and French Roast, I now get impressions of day-old, half-empty Styrofoam coffee cups. There is a mild hoppy bitterness, but it is somewhat metallic. Blahhh. My repulsion and undewhelm-ment leaves my powers of observation willfully diminished. It is not the worst beer ever, but that is hardly a shining endorsement.

M - The feel of this beer evokes one of my top five least favorite beer adjectives: chalky. Need I say more?

D - I do not like it. I cannot recommend it. It is not offensively bad, but there will almost always be a better option. (1,155 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Black in color with little to no head after pouring from a bottle. Hints of coffee in the nose. Clean attack with a roasted malt flavor. Smoky flavors and a relatively clean finish considering the flavors swirling around. The mouthfeel is creamy, but not as creamy as the name suggested to me. I typically enjoy any of the Sam Adams Brewmaster's collection but this one was not one of my favorites. (398 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -27.1%

Appearance - a black color with a finger of off white head that goes away quickly.

Smell - has a very sweet caramel smell to it.

Taste - has a roasted caramel taste to it. It has more of a roasted flavor that is strong.

mouthfeel - a watery smooth with little to no carbonation picked up.

Drinkablility - Not a huge fan but i'm not generally a stout person either, was nice for after a long Monday at work though.

All in all if you like stouts with a roasted flavor this would be for you, it is easier to drink than most stouts since it isn't as thick and goes down much easier but when I look for a stout its not something i want to slug back, its a relaxing beer that takes a while to drink. (699 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -25.1%

The head as I poured this beer out of the bottle fell almost immediately. No real smell I could pick up, other than some smoke.

The taste is bitter chocolate with some a bit of smoke in the back. The liquid is thick and full on the tongue. Very nice.

I wasn't really impress as it doesn't have any sort of characteristic to make it unique. I'd be more excited to try it on tap.

Otherwise, give me a Left Hand Milk Stout over this any day. (442 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -24.8%

I tend to like Sam Adams quite a bit, but I found this brew to be lacking in a lot of necessary qualities. I still think it was good, and I did finish it (which I can't do sometimes with very unpleasant beer).

Appearance: Black with a little brown head, I was expecting more. Throughout my time with the beer I would look down and try to see what shapes appeared... My favorite was a 3 legged donkey. It looked like any average stout.

Smell: Roasted and chocolate malts are in charge of the aroma, and it's pretty tempting.

Taste: More chocolate malts make themselves known in the taste, and I appreciate that. Overall it tastes watered down, though, and that's really frustrating.

Mouthfeel: Watery and quite bitter; drys the palate.

Drinkability: Doesn't go down very easy because of the bitter dry quality, and the watery mouthfeel doesn't make it any easier, even though it probably should. (909 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -24.6%

I got a Samuel Adams Cream Stout in the 12-pack sampler that Sam Adams puts out. I am not a stout fan, but this one was the best stout I've ever had. It had a smooth taste, a nice coffee finish. It looked like a normal stout, with a thick creamy head when poured into a pint glass.

Sam Adams did a great job brewing this one, as it's the only stout I have ever particularly liked. A good stout for people like me that don't like stout. Keep up the good work Sam! (463 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -24.6%

A- Pours a deep brown color with a thin frothy head that leaves a bit of lace.

S- Some faint aromas of sweet malt and roasted grain. A decent amount of sweetness.

T- A weird metallic taste initially that settled into a lightly roasted malt flavor. Some bittersweet chocolate with a tangy finish.

M- A bit thin with decent carbonation.

D- Overall a decent brew that didn't live up to standards. (397 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -24.3%

I didn't "mind" drinking this stuff. I had high expectations for it, but really it was nothing special. Appearance is excellent, very dark and black like a stout should be. Smell very malty and full of coffee and chocolate. Taste was same, and slightly bitter on the back of the tongue. All in all I might try it again, but won't be buying a sixer anytime soon.

This was my first cream stout, I'll have to get some more Guinness Extra Stout and compare. (454 characters)

Appearance:Poured into a pint. Nearly pitch black, with some translucency at the bottom of the glass. Very light tan head that starts off creamy and shrinks to a thin head. Lacing seems to be pretty nice.

Nose: Milk Chocolate right off the bat. A very malty nose.

Taste: Very bold malt flavor, maybe a light hint of hops. Has a very coffee-like aftertaste, reminds me a lot of a mocha latte. Chocolate milk up front. There also seems to be a penny/copper/metallic flavor some where in there that likes to cut up between the coffee and milk flavors. Not so good.

Mouthfeel: Has a decent consistency. Good carbonation. Leaves my mouth feeling a little thick after the drink.

Notes: I'm a little bit disappointed with this, being an avid coffee drinker/barista. I don't know if I can willingly finish the glass. We'll see though (829 characters)

Poured a 1" pale mocha head. Body is burnt umber brown but still dark as coffee. Smell is very mildly malt. Taste is actually even milder on malt than the smell, and there's really not much else going on besides malt. Body is medium leaning towards light. All in all I think this is just a mainstream cream stout and quite forgettable. (335 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured into my Bruery tulip. Notched for best before May 2011, guessing was bottled in late 2010.

Poured out for the bottle a deep brown color that once settled in the glass became black. No light is getting though this one even when held right next to a lamp. A huge light tan head emerged on this (perhaps because I was a bit careless with the pour, no sipping though). The head is very thick and sticky looking foam. As it settles to a thin layer, some thick lacing is left on the glass.

Getting some oats and roast aromas. Sort of smells like Cheerios with how much oat smell I'm getting. Perhaps slight chocolate notes at times. Not very complex.

First taste is black coffee followed by roast. Oat notes linger as the aftertaste to this one. Sadly, there is this very noticeable watery taste right before swallowing this. Also to note that this wasn't very sweet to me at all. Never really opens up into anything else. Sort of let down.

Very thin actually. The watery taste is reflected in the mouthfeel as well as this one is not getting it done for me. Carbonation isn't apparent so maybe it's not that watery/thin but this is no where what I was expecting.

This beer started out so promising with it's appearance but like they say don't judge a book by its cover, or in this case a beer by its pour. Sadly this did not deliver for me. This isn't very complex and the thin mouthfeel doesn't help at all. There are much better options out there. (1,456 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -23.8%

Very dark, nearly black. Nice looking tan head. Left a small amount of lacing on my glass. Smell was non-descript... nothing offensive... nothing exciting. Taste was surprisingly mild, with just a bit of coffee bitterness at the finish. I also detected an odd metallic overtone a couple of times while drinking this. Mouthfeel was very thin for a stout and carbonation was almost non-existant (I know, stouts shouldn't have much carbonation... but this was very nearly flat!) It's pretty drinkable... but so is water!

This wasn't a terrible beer, but not one I'll seek out in the future! I was disappointed, especially since I liked the Sam Adams Boston Lager I had last week so much! (687 characters)

Samuel Adams Cream Stout from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)