2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cream StoutSamuel Adams Cream Stout

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 10-29-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cream Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,136 | Reviews: 1,199 | Show All Ratings:
RenoZymurgist

1.65/5  rDev -57.9%

Poured a clear, dark burgundy with an off white head. The lack of opacity in this brew surprised me because stouts should never let even the slightest bit of light through. The head subsided pretty quickly and the aroma was very lacking in all that I desire from a stout. The flavor hit a little closer to home but was lacking in roasted character as well as malt complexity. Basically it tasted like a 1554 black ale from New Belgium with a touch more malt. Mouthfeel was bad as it tasted pretty thin and the carbonation was way to high. Not smooth, not creamy, this stout is not one i would ever buy again but i was glad that i only bought a single bottle.

10-06-2004 22:17:15 | More by RenoZymurgist
corpulent

1.85/5  rDev -52.8%

Looks and pours better than it actually is. Tastes weak, thin, like a watery stout. The creaminess does improve with each sip. Didn't really expect anything great, but disappointing nonetheless.

Has an odor reminiscent of inadvertently kissing a chick who just got finished throwing up.

03-06-2010 22:17:46 | More by corpulent
Threelittlefish

2.1/5  rDev -46.4%

Nothing special from this stout. I was expecting more but the beer is mediocre at best. If it's the only stout available I'll drink it. The head was nice and thick thick and slow to dissipate. The initial smell after the poor left me without emotion or anticipation. Not overly bitter taste like Guiness, but too thin in body. Not sweet enough finish for a cream stout. This beer left me with an empty feeling.

03-10-2010 09:18:29 | More by Threelittlefish
OLaw

Arizona

2.3/5  rDev -41.3%

Bought a 12 oz bottle individually, let it cool to ice-cold, and prepared to enjoy...

Unfortunately, I had to wait 'til my next beer to enjoy. This was bad. I had hoped for so much more based on a good reputation.

The appearance and smell weren't bad - smelled like a strange stout, which I expected was the cream flavor. Appearance was solid in the glass.

Then I tasted. It tastes like I poured milk into a Guinness. Not good. The mouthfeel was like a regular Sam Adams, not a stout. And drinkability was very poor given the above features, although I suppose if it tasted any kind of good I could drink lots given the watery mouthfeel.

I say: Avoid.

10-21-2009 07:20:57 | More by OLaw
NODAK

Tennessee

2.53/5  rDev -35.5%

Aroma carries definite notes of dark chocolate and some coffee as well. Somewhat roasted, somewhat sweet.

Taste has a body of bittersweet chocolate, coffee, and roasted malts...a little bit of a sour note as well. Finishes with the roasted chocolate and a bit of bitterness as well. If there's a lactose or sweet quality to it, I'm not getting it. Seems more like a light stout to me with a bit of sourness.

So all in all, I'm not quite impressed. I'd hoped for a silkier, sweeter beer. I ended up with a somewhat thin stout that doesn't stand out.

11-05-2010 01:23:24 | More by NODAK
Celt44

2.68/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Strong chocolate aroma - pours smooth with an average head that dissipates to a thin lacing. Bitter taste with a hint of strong coffee. More carbonation that your average stout - not the flat mouthfeel of a Guinness. Aroma and bitter coffee tast were a bit much for me. I prefer a smoother stout such as Guinness.

04-30-2005 21:27:21 | More by Celt44
LucaBrasi

2.7/5  rDev -31.1%

Appears a dark brown with a nice tan head. The head will disappear but laces the glass. The lacing quickly sinks back into the brew.
Smell is sweet of either vanilla or caramels.
The taste has sweetness to it, finishes with a creamy hint.
Mouthfeel is slick and carbonated.
Drinkability is all right...this is my first cream stout and I wasn’t too fond of the creaminess. But I will try another one to compare to.

09-24-2005 05:00:00 | More by LucaBrasi
Beerandraiderfan

2.7/5  rDev -31.1%

Big meh, pours like a beer soaked in some brazil nuts. Little bit o foam, toffee and nut aroma.

Looks weak for a stout. Dirty color, nothing rich jet black to it. Tastes like more toffee, a lil coffee, a christmas mixed nuts sampler, and like someone put a cigarette out in it the night before. Tobacco, but with ash as part of the flavor profile.

Resulting mouthfeel, gets some points, because its not as harsh after a few sips. Can't recommend this one, its the bottom of the barrel for stouts.

01-11-2010 17:51:27 | More by Beerandraiderfan
HardTarget

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%

Dated bottle March 2004 (sampled that very month) My bottle just said "Cream Style" but this has to be the right one.
Aroma: Porter nose, lots of chocolate and chocolate malt and toffee smells.
Appearance: Opaque black with slight blood red edges with bright light. An off white head formed but boiled down to a thin well-fed sheet.
Flavor: A touch astringent. The alcohol comes through unpleasantly and the roasted malt just doesn’t shine. Balanced, but toward bland rather than united. A harsh bitter finishes the taste and lasts too long.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but it has a ragged feel, not the smooth soft roundness of other cream stouts.
Overall Impression: Just didn’t care for it. I expected a smoother, richer beer and this just doesn’t fit the bill. Not recommended.

Revisit: Maybe I got an off bottle, but I'm not seeing all the flaws I noted earlier in this brew. Still not OUTSTANDING, but not bad. Have to kick it up in mouthfeel and taste, I got some mild coffee and chocolate notes. Still a bit ragged and disjointed in my book though. There are still better stouts.

03-24-2004 03:47:06 | More by HardTarget
Vancer

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%

Disappointed. Expected a lot more from a milk stout. Initial take looked promising, excellent almost black pour with tan head, nice lacing. Aroma started the downhill slide, almost no maltly quality to it. The taste was the bottom of the barrel, way too hoppy, no smoothness or *cream* to the brew. Way too thin and carbonated. All in all, you can find better stouts out there.

04-04-2005 12:32:01 | More by Vancer
jwillcourt

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured conservatively from a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

A - Very dark brown, near black, and ruby around the edges. Head is a full inch and comprised of many bubble sizes. It dissipates to a spotty froth. Head retention and lacing are average.

S - Smell is mostly sweet malt and cocoa, with a little coffee and grassy hops. The powdered milk smell came out towards the end.

T - Follows the smell. Mostly sweet malt and milk chocolate, followed by a slight coffee and hoppy bitterness. Initially, a cola and metallic bitterness overwhelmed the aftertaste. I wasn't sure I could finish the glass. As it opened up, this aftertaste started to fade and the cocoa and milkiness came through.

M - Medium body but frothy and way too carbonated. It feels very light for a stout. Chalky finish. Started to feel a little sticky after awhile.

D - Low alcohol and controlled sweetness gives it good drinkability. Harsh metallic aftertaste and over carbonation take that away.

This beer was a real jekyll and hyde. Initially, it did not smell like much, had an unpleasant aftertaste, and the frothiness was too much. Over time, it started to smell, taste, and feel much better. I will give it another shot someday.

01-29-2010 03:30:21 | More by jwillcourt
ryrust5301

Louisiana

2.8/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Bottle has a gold cap and Sam Adams cream stout logo. 2007 date

Appearance - Pours a dark black with a 1 inch tan head. Thick lacing around the glass. Looks like a damn fine stout.

Smell - Very faint smell. Lite coffee aroma, and a touch of faint chocolate. Not as aromatic as I was expecting.

Taste - Cofee, and bakers chocolate are the first that come to mind. Flavor doesn't hold very long, and not much of a creamy taste. Dry and bitter in the finish, and holds through for awhile in the aftertaste. Nothing in the taste or mouthfeel to really hold it together. Kinda bland

Drinkability - Disappointing to say the least. I was looking forward to a good Sam Adams brew. If you're looking for a stout to keep in your fridge to hit up a few times a week, there are better options. St. Peter's cream, Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam are just a few that provide a better experience in my opinion.

02-25-2008 04:19:06 | More by ryrust5301
Ragingbull

2.83/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Black in color with little to no head after pouring from a bottle. Hints of coffee in the nose. Clean attack with a roasted malt flavor. Smoky flavors and a relatively clean finish considering the flavors swirling around. The mouthfeel is creamy, but not as creamy as the name suggested to me. I typically enjoy any of the Sam Adams Brewmaster's collection but this one was not one of my favorites.

07-09-2008 04:39:02 | More by Ragingbull
philbertk

Washington

2.83/5  rDev -27.8%

Samuel Adams--Cream Stout--1998 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV (3.0 / 5.0) Cream Stout--Big Sam 1999 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV (3.0 / 5.0) Stout--Dark clear black red color. Good roasted chocolate malt front with medium flavor. Light body, but creamy chalky texture from unmalted barley. Light sweet cherry ale flavor lingers at end. Not dry. Sampled 3/21/1999.

Samuel Adams--Cream Stout--Signature Series 2000 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV (4.0 / 5.0) Stout--Clear dark black color with red hints. Big creamy tan laced head. Mild roasted chocolate espresso hoppy front. Mild dry slightly creamy chalky roasted chocolate fruit body. Balanced mild chalky hop end. Sampled 10/17/2001.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout--Brewmaster's Collection 2004 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV--35 IBU's. (3.75 / 5.0) Stout--Mild head. Clear dark opaque black color. Tangy roasted floral espresso hop front. Thin tangy roasted dry sweet mild cocoa fruit espresso body lingers through dry sweet mild citrus hop end. Thin. 7/12/2004.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout--Brewmaster's Collection 2006 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV--35 IBU's. (4.5 / 5.0) Stout--Lacy espresso head. Clear dark obsidian red black color. Roasted espresso hop front. Chalky crisp dry sweet burnt espresso cocoa caramel rich body. Tangy creamy burnt chocolate hop spice end. Rich flavor. Sampled 11/9/2006.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout--Brewmaster's Collection--Mixed Pack Sampler 2007 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV--35 IBU's. (4.25 / 5.0) Stout--Cream. 6-Pack $5.99. Sediment hint. Dense rocky thick mild lace coffee head. Clear dark red obsidian black color. Rich espresso hop cocoa front. Mild creamy cloying sweet black cherry chocolate roasted tangy mild coffee hop infused malty body. Crusty refreshing dry hop end. Sampled 9/5/2008.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout--Brewmaster's Collection--2010--12 oz. Bottle. 4.90%ABV. 35 IBU's. (2.5 / 5.0) Thin pour. Foamy big thin tan lacy head. Clear dark bronze black color. Mild roasted light chocolate mild hop front. Thin cream hint mildly burnt thin roasted crusty dry Stout toffee cherry body. Dry mild hop spice filling cocoa hint end. Smooth but bland. Sampled 11/19/2010 from 6-Pack purchased for $6.99 @ The Ballard Market, Ballard, Seattle on 7/3/2010.

11-20-2010 22:27:34 | More by philbertk
ktrillionaire

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%

This beer was one of my favs, along with nearly all other SA beers, over a decade ago. I wonder if they have gotten worse, or if I have gotten better. This one seems to have fallen particularly far from grace; whereas Boston Ale is as good as ever.

A - Very dark brown with a wee tan-ruby head clinging around the edges. The head looks like it has soap in it, with the irregular bubbles floating around.

S - The aroma is mostly roasted malt that is semi-rank; it ends up smelling quite a bit like stale coffee.

T - The taste is only scarcely better than the smell; where I remember it tasting like cocoa and French Roast, I now get impressions of day-old, half-empty Styrofoam coffee cups. There is a mild hoppy bitterness, but it is somewhat metallic. Blahhh. My repulsion and undewhelm-ment leaves my powers of observation willfully diminished. It is not the worst beer ever, but that is hardly a shining endorsement.

M - The feel of this beer evokes one of my top five least favorite beer adjectives: chalky. Need I say more?

D - I do not like it. I cannot recommend it. It is not offensively bad, but there will almost always be a better option.

02-15-2010 06:46:30 | More by ktrillionaire
jmarvin4189

Vermont

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%

Appearance - a black color with a finger of off white head that goes away quickly.

Smell - has a very sweet caramel smell to it.

Taste - has a roasted caramel taste to it. It has more of a roasted flavor that is strong.

mouthfeel - a watery smooth with little to no carbonation picked up.

Drinkablility - Not a huge fan but i'm not generally a stout person either, was nice for after a long Monday at work though.

All in all if you like stouts with a roasted flavor this would be for you, it is easier to drink than most stouts since it isn't as thick and goes down much easier but when I look for a stout its not something i want to slug back, its a relaxing beer that takes a while to drink.

08-02-2010 20:22:24 | More by jmarvin4189
turamarth

Missouri

2.93/5  rDev -25.3%

Appearance:Poured into a pint. Nearly pitch black, with some translucency at the bottom of the glass. Very light tan head that starts off creamy and shrinks to a thin head. Lacing seems to be pretty nice.

Nose: Milk Chocolate right off the bat. A very malty nose.

Taste: Very bold malt flavor, maybe a light hint of hops. Has a very coffee-like aftertaste, reminds me a lot of a mocha latte. Chocolate milk up front. There also seems to be a penny/copper/metallic flavor some where in there that likes to cut up between the coffee and milk flavors. Not so good.

Mouthfeel: Has a decent consistency. Good carbonation. Leaves my mouth feeling a little thick after the drink.

Notes: I'm a little bit disappointed with this, being an avid coffee drinker/barista. I don't know if I can willingly finish the glass. We'll see though

12-16-2008 06:50:03 | More by turamarth
Strand

North Dakota

2.93/5  rDev -25.3%

I got a Samuel Adams Cream Stout in the 12-pack sampler that Sam Adams puts out. I am not a stout fan, but this one was the best stout I've ever had. It had a smooth taste, a nice coffee finish. It looked like a normal stout, with a thick creamy head when poured into a pint glass.

Sam Adams did a great job brewing this one, as it's the only stout I have ever particularly liked. A good stout for people like me that don't like stout. Keep up the good work Sam!

03-12-2009 19:20:12 | More by Strand
projectflam86

2.93/5  rDev -25.3%

A- Pours a deep brown color with a thin frothy head that leaves a bit of lace.

S- Some faint aromas of sweet malt and roasted grain. A decent amount of sweetness.

T- A weird metallic taste initially that settled into a lightly roasted malt flavor. Some bittersweet chocolate with a tangy finish.

M- A bit thin with decent carbonation.

D- Overall a decent brew that didn't live up to standards.

02-27-2010 06:18:00 | More by projectflam86
Folderol

2.95/5  rDev -24.7%

What a toss-up, this beer. On the one hand, it looks terrific, with a huge rocky head (have to watch how fast you pour it) and a pitch black stout color. It smells like a unique blend of roasted malts, which is what one expects from a sweet stout. Mouthfeel is good, with decent carbonation and smoothness. The flavor though... it starts with a sweet pale/caramel malt flavor, but is almost instantly obliterated by harsh, astringent charcoal. Every sip is like that: starts sweet, turns charred. The aftertaste is all charcoal, too. Dry is one thing, I can drink Guinness and I don't mind the sour dryness, but this charcoal astringency is too much. This was one of the first stouts I tried over a year ago, and in retrospect I can't remember why I didn't hate it then. Maybe I just didn't know any better.

04-24-2006 15:16:00 | More by Folderol
dbalsock

Vermont

2.95/5  rDev -24.7%

I tend to like Sam Adams quite a bit, but I found this brew to be lacking in a lot of necessary qualities. I still think it was good, and I did finish it (which I can't do sometimes with very unpleasant beer).

Appearance: Black with a little brown head, I was expecting more. Throughout my time with the beer I would look down and try to see what shapes appeared... My favorite was a 3 legged donkey. It looked like any average stout.

Smell: Roasted and chocolate malts are in charge of the aroma, and it's pretty tempting.

Taste: More chocolate malts make themselves known in the taste, and I appreciate that. Overall it tastes watered down, though, and that's really frustrating.

Mouthfeel: Watery and quite bitter; drys the palate.

Drinkability: Doesn't go down very easy because of the bitter dry quality, and the watery mouthfeel doesn't make it any easier, even though it probably should.

05-14-2006 13:50:39 | More by dbalsock
Drew966

2.98/5  rDev -24%

Samuel Adams Cream Stout pours a dark, not quite black color with plenty of ruby highlights to be seen with a small tan head. The smell is of roasted malt. The taste is ok, mostly roasted malt, no real coffee or chocolate notes stand out, always a dissapointment to me if drinking a stout. The mouthfeel is appropriately creamy. Seems like a good beginner stout to me, but for serious stout drinkers, I'd look elsewhere.

04-04-2006 04:09:01 | More by Drew966
beerNdarts

Maryland

2.98/5  rDev -24%

I didn't "mind" drinking this stuff. I had high expectations for it, but really it was nothing special. Appearance is excellent, very dark and black like a stout should be. Smell very malty and full of coffee and chocolate. Taste was same, and slightly bitter on the back of the tongue. All in all I might try it again, but won't be buying a sixer anytime soon.

This was my first cream stout, I'll have to get some more Guinness Extra Stout and compare.

09-07-2007 16:35:41 | More by beerNdarts
jimdkc

Missouri

Very dark, nearly black. Nice looking tan head. Left a small amount of lacing on my glass. Smell was non-descript... nothing offensive... nothing exciting. Taste was surprisingly mild, with just a bit of coffee bitterness at the finish. I also detected an odd metallic overtone a couple of times while drinking this. Mouthfeel was very thin for a stout and carbonation was almost non-existant (I know, stouts shouldn't have much carbonation... but this was very nearly flat!) It's pretty drinkable... but so is water!

This wasn't a terrible beer, but not one I'll seek out in the future! I was disappointed, especially since I liked the Sam Adams Boston Lager I had last week so much!

03-07-2004 07:46:43 | More by jimdkc
nightcrawler

The head as I poured this beer out of the bottle fell almost immediately. No real smell I could pick up, other than some smoke.

The taste is bitter chocolate with some a bit of smoke in the back. The liquid is thick and full on the tongue. Very nice.

I wasn't really impress as it doesn't have any sort of characteristic to make it unique. I'd be more excited to try it on tap.

Otherwise, give me a Left Hand Milk Stout over this any day.

12-11-2007 04:18:30 | More by nightcrawler
Samuel Adams Cream Stout from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)