Samuel Adams Cream Stout - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cream StoutSamuel Adams Cream Stout

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 10-29-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,457 | Reviews: 1,231

1.63/5  rDev -58.4%

Poured a clear, dark burgundy with an off white head. The lack of opacity in this brew surprised me because stouts should never let even the slightest bit of light through. The head subsided pretty quickly and the aroma was very lacking in all that I desire from a stout. The flavor hit a little closer to home but was lacking in roasted character as well as malt complexity. Basically it tasted like a 1554 black ale from New Belgium with a touch more malt. Mouthfeel was bad as it tasted pretty thin and the carbonation was way to high. Not smooth, not creamy, this stout is not one i would ever buy again but i was glad that i only bought a single bottle.

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

While I won't say it's bad. I do have to say that for a stout it don't have a whole lot of flavor

2.12/5  rDev -45.9%

Nothing special from this stout. I was expecting more but the beer is mediocre at best. If it's the only stout available I'll drink it. The head was nice and thick thick and slow to dissipate. The initial smell after the poor left me without emotion or anticipation. Not overly bitter taste like Guiness, but too thin in body. Not sweet enough finish for a cream stout. This beer left me with an empty feeling.

2.21/5  rDev -43.6%

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

2.36/5  rDev -39.8%

Bought a 12 oz bottle individually, let it cool to ice-cold, and prepared to enjoy...

Unfortunately, I had to wait 'til my next beer to enjoy. This was bad. I had hoped for so much more based on a good reputation.

The appearance and smell weren't bad - smelled like a strange stout, which I expected was the cream flavor. Appearance was solid in the glass.

Then I tasted. It tastes like I poured milk into a Guinness. Not good. The mouthfeel was like a regular Sam Adams, not a stout. And drinkability was very poor given the above features, although I suppose if it tasted any kind of good I could drink lots given the watery mouthfeel.

I say: Avoid.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samuel Adams Cream Stout from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)