Samuel Adams Cream Stout - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cream StoutSamuel Adams Cream Stout

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 10-29-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cream Stout Alström Bros

1.65/5  rDev -57.8%

Poured a clear, dark burgundy with an off white head. The lack of opacity in this brew surprised me because stouts should never let even the slightest bit of light through. The head subsided pretty quickly and the aroma was very lacking in all that I desire from a stout. The flavor hit a little closer to home but was lacking in roasted character as well as malt complexity. Basically it tasted like a 1554 black ale from New Belgium with a touch more malt. Mouthfeel was bad as it tasted pretty thin and the carbonation was way to high. Not smooth, not creamy, this stout is not one i would ever buy again but i was glad that i only bought a single bottle.

1.75/5  rDev -55.2%

1.93/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 oz glass to a snifter.

Well I had heard good things about this stout so I was excited to see it arrive at a local shop. The stout has a good dark color but not as black as I would expect. The nose left a lot to be desired. I did not detect any complexity just roasted malts and some light cream and hops. When I took a sip I was a little lost. All I could taste is smokiness and bitter hops from start to finish. I expect some smokiness from stouts but it was over the top. Where was the cream? chocolate? vanilla? and all the other flavors that you would expect from a stout, no less a cream stout? I let it warm even more and did not find that it improved, just the same smokiness and hops. I don't know maybe I am missing something but I did drink the whole 6 pack before writing this review. I would not seek this out again as there are better cream stouts out there.

While I won't say it's bad. I do have to say that for a stout it don't have a whole lot of flavor

2.1/5  rDev -46.3%

Nothing special from this stout. I was expecting more but the beer is mediocre at best. If it's the only stout available I'll drink it. The head was nice and thick thick and slow to dissipate. The initial smell after the poor left me without emotion or anticipation. Not overly bitter taste like Guiness, but too thin in body. Not sweet enough finish for a cream stout. This beer left me with an empty feeling.

2.18/5  rDev -44.2%

2.25/5  rDev -42.5%

Samuel Adams Cream Stout from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)