Samuel Adams Cream Stout - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cream StoutSamuel Adams Cream Stout

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 10-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cream Stout Alström Bros

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

I seem to be missing something with this offering from Sam. Aftertaste is like licking an ashtray. I enjoy a smokey stout, but this one seems to be overboard.

2.79/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Bottle has a gold cap and Sam Adams cream stout logo. 2007 date

Appearance - Pours a dark black with a 1 inch tan head. Thick lacing around the glass. Looks like a damn fine stout.

Smell - Very faint smell. Lite coffee aroma, and a touch of faint chocolate. Not as aromatic as I was expecting.

Taste - Cofee, and bakers chocolate are the first that come to mind. Flavor doesn't hold very long, and not much of a creamy taste. Dry and bitter in the finish, and holds through for awhile in the aftertaste. Nothing in the taste or mouthfeel to really hold it together. Kinda bland

Drinkability - Disappointing to say the least. I was looking forward to a good Sam Adams brew. If you're looking for a stout to keep in your fridge to hit up a few times a week, there are better options. St. Peter's cream, Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam are just a few that provide a better experience in my opinion.

2.81/5  rDev -28.3%

Disappointed. Expected a lot more from a milk stout. Initial take looked promising, excellent almost black pour with tan head, nice lacing. Aroma started the downhill slide, almost no maltly quality to it. The taste was the bottom of the barrel, way too hoppy, no smoothness or *cream* to the brew. Way too thin and carbonated. All in all, you can find better stouts out there.

2.84/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured conservatively from a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

A - Very dark brown, near black, and ruby around the edges. Head is a full inch and comprised of many bubble sizes. It dissipates to a spotty froth. Head retention and lacing are average.

S - Smell is mostly sweet malt and cocoa, with a little coffee and grassy hops. The powdered milk smell came out towards the end.

T - Follows the smell. Mostly sweet malt and milk chocolate, followed by a slight coffee and hoppy bitterness. Initially, a cola and metallic bitterness overwhelmed the aftertaste. I wasn't sure I could finish the glass. As it opened up, this aftertaste started to fade and the cocoa and milkiness came through.

M - Medium body but frothy and way too carbonated. It feels very light for a stout. Chalky finish. Started to feel a little sticky after awhile.

D - Low alcohol and controlled sweetness gives it good drinkability. Harsh metallic aftertaste and over carbonation take that away.

This beer was a real jekyll and hyde. Initially, it did not smell like much, had an unpleasant aftertaste, and the frothiness was too much. Over time, it started to smell, taste, and feel much better. I will give it another shot someday.

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

Samuel Adams--Cream Stout--1998 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV (3.0 / 5.0) Cream Stout--Big Sam 1999 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV (3.0 / 5.0) Stout--Dark clear black red color. Good roasted chocolate malt front with medium flavor. Light body, but creamy chalky texture from unmalted barley. Light sweet cherry ale flavor lingers at end. Not dry. Sampled 3/21/1999.

Samuel Adams--Cream Stout--Signature Series 2000 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV (4.0 / 5.0) Stout--Clear dark black color with red hints. Big creamy tan laced head. Mild roasted chocolate espresso hoppy front. Mild dry slightly creamy chalky roasted chocolate fruit body. Balanced mild chalky hop end. Sampled 10/17/2001.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout--Brewmaster's Collection 2004 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV--35 IBU's. (3.75 / 5.0) Stout--Mild head. Clear dark opaque black color. Tangy roasted floral espresso hop front. Thin tangy roasted dry sweet mild cocoa fruit espresso body lingers through dry sweet mild citrus hop end. Thin. 7/12/2004.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout--Brewmaster's Collection 2006 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV--35 IBU's. (4.5 / 5.0) Stout--Lacy espresso head. Clear dark obsidian red black color. Roasted espresso hop front. Chalky crisp dry sweet burnt espresso cocoa caramel rich body. Tangy creamy burnt chocolate hop spice end. Rich flavor. Sampled 11/9/2006.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout--Brewmaster's Collection--Mixed Pack Sampler 2007 12 oz. Bottle. 4.69% ABV--35 IBU's. (4.25 / 5.0) Stout--Cream. 6-Pack $5.99. Sediment hint. Dense rocky thick mild lace coffee head. Clear dark red obsidian black color. Rich espresso hop cocoa front. Mild creamy cloying sweet black cherry chocolate roasted tangy mild coffee hop infused malty body. Crusty refreshing dry hop end. Sampled 9/5/2008.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout--Brewmaster's Collection--2010--12 oz. Bottle. 4.90%ABV. 35 IBU's. (2.5 / 5.0) Thin pour. Foamy big thin tan lacy head. Clear dark bronze black color. Mild roasted light chocolate mild hop front. Thin cream hint mildly burnt thin roasted crusty dry Stout toffee cherry body. Dry mild hop spice filling cocoa hint end. Smooth but bland. Sampled 11/19/2010 from 6-Pack purchased for $6.99 @ The Ballard Market, Ballard, Seattle on 7/3/2010.

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

Dated bottle March 2004 (sampled that very month) My bottle just said "Cream Style" but this has to be the right one.
Aroma: Porter nose, lots of chocolate and chocolate malt and toffee smells.
Appearance: Opaque black with slight blood red edges with bright light. An off white head formed but boiled down to a thin well-fed sheet.
Flavor: A touch astringent. The alcohol comes through unpleasantly and the roasted malt just doesn’t shine. Balanced, but toward bland rather than united. A harsh bitter finishes the taste and lasts too long.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but it has a ragged feel, not the smooth soft roundness of other cream stouts.
Overall Impression: Just didn’t care for it. I expected a smoother, richer beer and this just doesn’t fit the bill. Not recommended.

Revisit: Maybe I got an off bottle, but I'm not seeing all the flaws I noted earlier in this brew. Still not OUTSTANDING, but not bad. Have to kick it up in mouthfeel and taste, I got some mild coffee and chocolate notes. Still a bit ragged and disjointed in my book though. There are still better stouts.

2.86/5  rDev -27%

This beer was one of my favs, along with nearly all other SA beers, over a decade ago. I wonder if they have gotten worse, or if I have gotten better. This one seems to have fallen particularly far from grace; whereas Boston Ale is as good as ever.

A - Very dark brown with a wee tan-ruby head clinging around the edges. The head looks like it has soap in it, with the irregular bubbles floating around.

S - The aroma is mostly roasted malt that is semi-rank; it ends up smelling quite a bit like stale coffee.

T - The taste is only scarcely better than the smell; where I remember it tasting like cocoa and French Roast, I now get impressions of day-old, half-empty Styrofoam coffee cups. There is a mild hoppy bitterness, but it is somewhat metallic. Blahhh. My repulsion and undewhelm-ment leaves my powers of observation willfully diminished. It is not the worst beer ever, but that is hardly a shining endorsement.

M - The feel of this beer evokes one of my top five least favorite beer adjectives: chalky. Need I say more?

D - I do not like it. I cannot recommend it. It is not offensively bad, but there will almost always be a better option.

2.87/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Black in color with little to no head after pouring from a bottle. Hints of coffee in the nose. Clean attack with a roasted malt flavor. Smoky flavors and a relatively clean finish considering the flavors swirling around. The mouthfeel is creamy, but not as creamy as the name suggested to me. I typically enjoy any of the Sam Adams Brewmaster's collection but this one was not one of my favorites.

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%

Appearance - a black color with a finger of off white head that goes away quickly.

Smell - has a very sweet caramel smell to it.

Taste - has a roasted caramel taste to it. It has more of a roasted flavor that is strong.

mouthfeel - a watery smooth with little to no carbonation picked up.

Drinkablility - Not a huge fan but i'm not generally a stout person either, was nice for after a long Monday at work though.

All in all if you like stouts with a roasted flavor this would be for you, it is easier to drink than most stouts since it isn't as thick and goes down much easier but when I look for a stout its not something i want to slug back, its a relaxing beer that takes a while to drink.

2.9/5  rDev -26%

2.91/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Definitely can taste the cheapness in this beer definitely way too bitter

2.96/5  rDev -24.5%

The head as I poured this beer out of the bottle fell almost immediately. No real smell I could pick up, other than some smoke.

The taste is bitter chocolate with some a bit of smoke in the back. The liquid is thick and full on the tongue. Very nice.

I wasn't really impress as it doesn't have any sort of characteristic to make it unique. I'd be more excited to try it on tap.

Otherwise, give me a Left Hand Milk Stout over this any day.

2.96/5  rDev -24.5%

2.97/5  rDev -24.2%

I tend to like Sam Adams quite a bit, but I found this brew to be lacking in a lot of necessary qualities. I still think it was good, and I did finish it (which I can't do sometimes with very unpleasant beer).

Appearance: Black with a little brown head, I was expecting more. Throughout my time with the beer I would look down and try to see what shapes appeared... My favorite was a 3 legged donkey. It looked like any average stout.

Smell: Roasted and chocolate malts are in charge of the aroma, and it's pretty tempting.

Taste: More chocolate malts make themselves known in the taste, and I appreciate that. Overall it tastes watered down, though, and that's really frustrating.

Mouthfeel: Watery and quite bitter; drys the palate.

Drinkability: Doesn't go down very easy because of the bitter dry quality, and the watery mouthfeel doesn't make it any easier, even though it probably should.

2.98/5  rDev -24%

I got a Samuel Adams Cream Stout in the 12-pack sampler that Sam Adams puts out. I am not a stout fan, but this one was the best stout I've ever had. It had a smooth taste, a nice coffee finish. It looked like a normal stout, with a thick creamy head when poured into a pint glass.

Sam Adams did a great job brewing this one, as it's the only stout I have ever particularly liked. A good stout for people like me that don't like stout. Keep up the good work Sam!

2.98/5  rDev -24%

A- Pours a deep brown color with a thin frothy head that leaves a bit of lace.

S- Some faint aromas of sweet malt and roasted grain. A decent amount of sweetness.

T- A weird metallic taste initially that settled into a lightly roasted malt flavor. Some bittersweet chocolate with a tangy finish.

M- A bit thin with decent carbonation.

D- Overall a decent brew that didn't live up to standards.

2.99/5  rDev -23.7%

I didn't "mind" drinking this stuff. I had high expectations for it, but really it was nothing special. Appearance is excellent, very dark and black like a stout should be. Smell very malty and full of coffee and chocolate. Taste was same, and slightly bitter on the back of the tongue. All in all I might try it again, but won't be buying a sixer anytime soon.

This was my first cream stout, I'll have to get some more Guinness Extra Stout and compare.

Appearance:Poured into a pint. Nearly pitch black, with some translucency at the bottom of the glass. Very light tan head that starts off creamy and shrinks to a thin head. Lacing seems to be pretty nice.

Nose: Milk Chocolate right off the bat. A very malty nose.

Taste: Very bold malt flavor, maybe a light hint of hops. Has a very coffee-like aftertaste, reminds me a lot of a mocha latte. Chocolate milk up front. There also seems to be a penny/copper/metallic flavor some where in there that likes to cut up between the coffee and milk flavors. Not so good.

Mouthfeel: Has a decent consistency. Good carbonation. Leaves my mouth feeling a little thick after the drink.

Notes: I'm a little bit disappointed with this, being an avid coffee drinker/barista. I don't know if I can willingly finish the glass. We'll see though

Samuel Adams Cream Stout from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)