Samuel Adams Cream Stout - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cream StoutSamuel Adams Cream Stout

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 10-29-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cream Stout Alström Bros
WeisGuy

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

a - very dark bwon, nearly black in color; very small head that leaves behind minimal lacing

s - chocolate and coffee aroma

t - creamy, chocolate and coffee tasting, little-to-no aftertaste surprisingly

m - creamy, coats the mouth well, no carbonation detected

d - very, very drinkable; give me a sixer of this and I'm in for a good night

overall, probably my favorite Sam Adams brew; very drinkable, and at $6.50 for a sixer, an amazing value.

05-04-2006 22:19:50 | More by WeisGuy
nicksta

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

A: The appearance is a black solid with deep red highlights. A thick fluffy tan head sits on the top and leaves lacing as it recedes.

S: The smell is just like any other American Stout that I have smelt before. It has hints of dark chocolate and burnt coffee beans.

T: It has roasted malts, some hints of chocolate and caramel, and it finishes with a coffe burnt taste. This is pretty much like any other American Stout that I have had, but thankfully isn't as bad becuase it is much smoother, lighter (not sure if that is a good thing), and tolerable.

M: The mouthfeel is thicker and slightly pleasant.

D: It is drinkable, because it is smooth. Unlike other suck arse American Stouts, I can at least finish this six pack, but after that I am done.

I should have gotten some more Boston Lager. This isn't really creamy at all, just a slightly above average American Stout. Is the world of dark beers limited to the Irish Dry Stout?

04-30-2006 02:23:16 | More by nicksta
Folderol

2.95/5  rDev -24.7%

What a toss-up, this beer. On the one hand, it looks terrific, with a huge rocky head (have to watch how fast you pour it) and a pitch black stout color. It smells like a unique blend of roasted malts, which is what one expects from a sweet stout. Mouthfeel is good, with decent carbonation and smoothness. The flavor though... it starts with a sweet pale/caramel malt flavor, but is almost instantly obliterated by harsh, astringent charcoal. Every sip is like that: starts sweet, turns charred. The aftertaste is all charcoal, too. Dry is one thing, I can drink Guinness and I don't mind the sour dryness, but this charcoal astringency is too much. This was one of the first stouts I tried over a year ago, and in retrospect I can't remember why I didn't hate it then. Maybe I just didn't know any better.

04-24-2006 15:16:00 | More by Folderol
sinistrsam

Maryland

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

This poured a dark brown/black with a HUGE foamy tan head, which lingered for several minutes about the glass and left incredible lacing. Very impressive. The aroma was a typical stout, malty with coffee and mild chocolate hints. The taste was very smooth, with cream, sweet malts, caramel and coffee. The mouthfeel was a little more watery than I would have liked but it was still creamier than it was bitter. Relatively well-balanced. Great sipping beer.

04-22-2006 00:20:03 | More by sinistrsam
andythejerk

Utah

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

Samuel Adam's scores again. I was cooking eggs and sage sausage for breakfast and realized I was too lazy to make coffee (hey, it's hard work!) So I decided to open one of these that I just got yesterday and have it with breakfast. It does say "the cappuccino of beers" afterall. The eggs and sausage were forgettable. The Cream Stout was awesome! I was impressed by the bulky, demonstrative head that stuck around and even now, as my glass is almost empty,leaves a heavy lacing and crown. Smells lovely--very appetizing, creamy smell as I would expect from a good rep. of this style. And the taste is very enjoyable--extremely smooth and mild, creamy, and sweet. Just what I was looking for. Who needs coffee? (I admit, I take mine with cream and sugar; and this sweet, creamy brew was a perfect replacement). This cream stout should be America's breakfast drink of choice.

04-14-2006 17:15:09 | More by andythejerk
jwc215

Wisconsin

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours dark brown with a thin tan head.

The smell is of coffee, chocolate, caramel.

The taste is of a great milky chocolate, coffee, caramel, with a touch of vanilla. Earthy notes mix in.

The taste is of a complex, coffeeish malt, with a nice touch of bitterish hop and roasted balance. The balance is great. Finishes with just a touch of sweetness in the complex finish.

It has a rich medium-bodied.

A well, balanced, complex cream stout, yet easy to drink. Not overly sweet. A great dessert choice, or to have on its own.

04-12-2006 22:34:11 | More by jwc215
acarroll413

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass

A- pitch black with a medium small head that was yellowish brown, was definitely a fine looking beer

S- roasted malt and chocolate are dominant here. the more you drink it, the more the chocolate smell opens up.

T- oh man. what a delicious beer! by far the best stout ive ever had. the roasted taste was dominant with the chocolate hint on the back end. was not bitter at all. delicious delicious delicious!

M- nice and thick and hella-smooth! what a beer!

D- i think this is the best sam adams ive had yet. this will be my go-to stout from now on. i will definitely drink this again.

04-06-2006 02:31:35 | More by acarroll413
Drew966

2.98/5  rDev -24%

Samuel Adams Cream Stout pours a dark, not quite black color with plenty of ruby highlights to be seen with a small tan head. The smell is of roasted malt. The taste is ok, mostly roasted malt, no real coffee or chocolate notes stand out, always a dissapointment to me if drinking a stout. The mouthfeel is appropriately creamy. Seems like a good beginner stout to me, but for serious stout drinkers, I'd look elsewhere.

04-04-2006 04:09:01 | More by Drew966
PBRstreetgang

4.35/5  rDev +11%

Pours pitch black with mahogany highlights. The color is almost totally opaque, but becomes extra clear when held in front of a bright light. creamy biege head of one and a half fingers shows decent retention and an abundance of spotty lacing. Strong coffee aroma, with charred chocolate malt and background roasted barley. The taste is dextrinous sweet upon first sip, then some roasted notes mingle in, and then the flaovr is wonderfully balanced by a mellow coffee, chocolate malt, and barely perceivable fuggles hops. semi-dry in the aftertaste. The medium carbonation is enough to match the rich, dextrinous mouthfeel- a touch crisp, ut good texture. There is some excess residual sugar in the finish, but it's dry enough to retain a high drinkability. A great example of style with superb balance.

04-03-2006 11:06:44 | More by PBRstreetgang
mcarroll10177

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

Not one of my favorite SA offerings.

poured from a bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- these stouts are beautiful black with a nice thick off white head.

S- lots of nose here malts all over the place

T- unbalanced, to much burnt malts no really undertones like coffee that I expect from better stouts.

M- not to thick not to thin, but not perfect either

D- to much of a burned flavor on this offering, I honestly expected a milk stout to be sweeter or at least less burned or bitter.

03-30-2006 02:01:45 | More by mcarroll10177
babydoc

Kansas

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle five months before the best-before date notched on the label. Enjoyed at 45-50 degrees.

Pours clear dark brown- while poured it it let some light through, once in the pint glass it did not. Head was monstrous, forcing one to wait before completing the pour. It was the color of frozen cola, and left sticky patches of lace as it disappeared before the beer was gone. Nose was sweet, understated, with roasted malt, coffee, molasses, and a hint of smoke.

Mouthfeel moderate, creamy, only lightly carbonated. Tastes of coffee, dark chocolate, with sweet and bitter sooo nicely balanced, leaving a dry cocoa powder on the finish. It is easy to savor or to gulp down...satisfying brew.

03-28-2006 05:37:11 | More by babydoc
MrSeth

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Dark brown body over a good size tan head that doesn't quit (even after vigorous swirling!). The smell is a bit musky, but toasty, coffeeish malt undertones are present. A very mature taste, the malt and creamy flavors are forward and quite pleasant. There is a bit of an offness at the finish, like instant coffee. But it doesn't really hurt the overall effect.

03-27-2006 22:46:44 | More by MrSeth
wingman14

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Black with a tan head, beautiful
S: Some smoke smell with a bit of sweet and malty aromas
T: A great stout taste, some burnt, but mostly sweet taste with a bitter bite on the end. Aftertaste lingers with pleasant flavors.
M: I am not too impressed with the carbonation of this beer, but it is not to out of wack to lower my opinion of it.
D: I suggest this brew to any dark beer fan. They are harder to find than the boston lager, but worth it. It took me awhile to get this beer because the first time I did try to buy it someone stole it from my shopping cart when I was not looking. I happened to have the last 6 pack in the store. But they had plenty when I went back a couple weeks later. Another good brew from Sam.

03-24-2006 03:35:14 | More by wingman14
Redrover

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz brown longneck bottle.

Poured into a pint glass, the beer is black with red highlights. A tight tan head and decent lacing add to the appeal.

Appetizing aroma of roasted malts, caramel, dark chocolate and a wisp of smoke.

The taste is sweet and rich. A bit of espresso, deeply roasted malts, and molasses. I also get a small bit of something that tastes like liquid smoke. Finishes a bit dry.

The mouth is pretty smooth but it may be a touch over carbonated. This is one of my favorite SA beers. I’m hoping it gets wide spread distribution and has some success as I would hate to see this one disappear.

03-20-2006 16:48:29 | More by Redrover
EStreet20

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into a nonic pint glass.

A - A motor oil pitch black with a very large (3 full fingers) of light tan colored head. The head stays around and lacing sticks to the glass like crazy.

S - Huge malty smell featuring lots of coffee with some chocolate notes. A smokiness hangs over the entire range of aromas as well.

T - On the intial taste the sweet chocolate flavor seems to hit first. Then it's on to a dark roasted coffee flavor. A little bit of hop bitterness comes along and rides into the finish leaving an excellent coffee like aftertaste between the bittering and the smoky flavors.

M - Mouthfeel is just a tad thinner than I would expect for such a complex and flavorful beer. Still not a bad feel going down though.

D - Very easy to drink, not a complaint about the drinkability at all.

03-14-2006 02:35:29 | More by EStreet20
kbnooshay

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Bought a 6 pack of this on a night i wanted a beer with a lot of alcohol init eventhough there is not much in this one, However the kickassness of it makes up.

a- The looks remind me of lost coast winterbraun only better; it pours a steller black/brown with red highlights towards the bottom of the glass. The brown head is awesome with microscopic sized bubbles, very cratered too. The lacing is in big sheets and clumping.

s- Mmmm. The smell is creamy and sweet, at first it made me think of hazlenut coffeee and Starbucks coffee ice cream.

T- Caramel and roasted malt really dominate the flavo at first. This is such a cool brew. The hops are there and not very bitter but kinda sharp if that makes any sense.

MF/D- The mouthfeel is moderate. Kinda thick and creamy but not too syupy at all, fairly light in weight. This is very drinkable i could do 2 or 3 of these.

03-10-2006 18:36:32 | More by kbnooshay
NClifestyle

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, SA cream stout shows up tar black with ruby highlights near the bottom of the glass. A huge head of muddy tan foam rises from the beer, with large bubbles. Thin waves of patchy lace coat the sides of the glass, and nice rings are left after every sip.
Smells offered are of sweet chocolate and cocoa, possibly molasses or caramel as well. Aromas of warm, sugary milk are noticeable around the edges. The dominant flavor is milky and coffee-like, not nearly as sweet as it smells, with a roasted character, very malty, and almost a hint of charcoal . The aftertaste of the beer is bitter dark chocolate – a coffee and cream delight. This is a combined effort of minimal hop bite and maximal malt roasting.
Cream stout feels medium to full in the mouth, fluffy, but with a tingling carbonation that dances on the tongue. As the beer warms, it smoothes out considerably. All of the sweet stout flavors, smells and mouthfeel are perfectly balanced. No aspect of this beer is out of place. With a love abv%, and a slight sweetness that leads to the easy drinking nature of the beer, Sam Adams cream stout is an easy drinking brew.

cheers...

03-02-2006 20:39:06 | More by NClifestyle
mclanem

The beer pours dark, really really dark. I put this beer near a light and could not see the light at all through the beer, that was one good sign to me. The head of the beer was a creamy brown and very frothy like a stout should be. No real smell at all though. distinct coffee, roasted malt flavor on the mouthful very soft milky beer, excellent flavor.

02-28-2006 00:36:20 | More by mclanem
cracgor

3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

This beer is one of my oldest beer memories. Getting one of my first mix packs and diving into a world that would soon consume my life. By far my favorite beer in the old mixpacks...2000 I suppose. It pours out a black beer with ruby edges in the light. The head is light tan with a good froth staying afloat throughout and beautiful lace clinging to the glass. It has a fruity apple peel smell with a good hint of roasted malts. The beer is a little more watery than I'd like, but it still has a delicious roasted, coffee like malt, with a nice sweetness to balance it. Just enough hops in the beer so that I notice them, but not to overpower anything. In fact the hops are more of an afterthought that they were there while drinking. Mouthfeel is unimpressive, a little to light and clean. Just not what I expect from the style. Oh the memories. And it is fine to drink, just can't live up to the amazing flavor I remember the first time I had it, in a time when my town's selection included only sam adams, saranac, mackeson's, and weihenstephaner.

02-19-2006 02:27:21 | More by cracgor
doppelmeup

4.47/5  rDev +14%

I really enjoyed this beer.

Poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Dark, auburn color, not much light goes through it. Half inch head that dissipates into a nice ring of foam. Nice lacing.

Not a strong smell. Some roasted coffee, cream, milk chocolate.

Very creamy taste, as the name would suggest. Very smooth, slightly bitter aftertaste, just enough bitterness to cleanse the palate. Not a strong tasting beer, but very creamy and smooth.

Not a thick mouthfeel. Slight carbonation. Very smooth and drinkable.

This beer goes down very easily. I really like it. Although it doesn't have all the "extreme" characteristics of some other styles, IMHO that's what makes this beer so appealing. I could definitely drink a lot of these in a row! This is a great offering from Sam Adams.

02-16-2006 00:06:57 | More by doppelmeup
brewQ

Missouri

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

A lovely opaque black with a rocky head.
Sheathing and lace are steady.

Roasted coffee aroma.

Taste is balanced although perhaps somewhat chalky.
(Maybe that's me).

Finishes nicely with amazing ability to cleanse itself from the pallette.

Not my sessionable brew but quite drinkable for the style.

A substantial beer-
Boston Beer adds its 15th beer to my list- they keep coming at me with viable choices.

02-15-2006 04:02:45 | More by brewQ
kmcnair

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%

12oz bottle that someone brought over to a BBQ a while back, been sitting in the fridge for a while... time to see what it has to offer.

A - Pours a nearly opaque reddish brown. Makes about half an inch of cream head that fades quickly into a thin halo of tightly packed bubbles.

S - Mmm, rich roasted espresso and bittersweet belgian chocolate. This brew smells awesome. I don't even want to drink it, the aromatics are so satisfying alone.

T - An initial sip starts with a bitter chocolatey flavor and finishes with coffee. The next finds some sweet dark fruits, licorice and molases that weave in and out of the coffee/cocao dominance making the flavor rather complex. I like it.

M - Clean carbonation, light to medium body and a dry finish. Good stuff.

D - I have had this before, albeit a very long time ago and to be honest... my opinions then weren't very good. I'm glad I gave it another shot because this is actually quite good, probably one of the better regular offerings from Sam Adams that is regularly available.

02-13-2006 07:08:44 | More by kmcnair
bgraney

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Rich, not quite black to the core appearence, cocoa-colored head.
Excellent malty aroma, alcohol essence in the background.
Very smooth, malty taste, linering alcohol on the back of the tongue. Long lasting creamy flavor.
First couple of sips were outstanding but I found myself liking it less by the time I got to the bottom of the glass.
I enjoyed having one very much but I was thinking if I was going to have another beer I would probably have something else.

02-10-2006 15:33:28 | More by bgraney
danielocean03

Indiana

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Apperance is a dark, deep mahogany color with a thin, half-finger head that falls quickly to light tan lacing. Aroma is exceptionally sweet and malty, smells richly of cream and caramel, slight hints of cinnamon and nutmeg spice warm the nose, smells excellent. Taste is also sweet, however not as sweet as the aroma leads on. Taste is mainly comprised of chocolate/caramel malt flavors, starting sweet and finishing bitter with a light bitterness in the aftertaste. Overall a smooth beer, easy to drink and enjoy the incredible smell of this stout. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, moderate carbonation, feels slick and smooth on the tongue as it coats the mouth. Taste lacks some complexity, simpler than it seems it should be, still a very good beer. Would seek out again.

02-09-2006 01:04:45 | More by danielocean03
akajimmyd

District of Columbia

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance – Robust pour leads to a large and fluffy head which dissipates but retains a sizable crown. Moderate to heavy lacing.

Smell – Solid hops on the nose followed by some sweet malts.

Taste – Sweet and smoky malts and odd yet interesting and tasty combination. Strong hops come throught that you might expect in an American stout. Faintest hints of coffee. Some burnt malts

Mouthfeel – Rich and creamy feel. Leaves a lactose aftertaste not unlike the feeling you might have after a glass of milk. Sort of a sticky feeling.

Drinkability – Just a good “staple” stout. Easy to drink and tasty, what more do you need?

02-08-2006 04:03:00 | More by akajimmyd
Samuel Adams Cream Stout from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)