Samuel Adams Cream Stout - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cream StoutSamuel Adams Cream Stout

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 10-29-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cream Stout Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

as the beer flowed from the bottle it created a beautiful dark, almost black pool im glass that was topped with a delightful tan head that had true staying power. Smell is an intoxicating mixture of chocolate, coffee, caramel, plums, prunes, raisins, and figs. Taste is superb, with just the right combination of roasted malt, coffee, and dark fruit. Finishes with a magnificent dryness to create a perfect ending. As you may guess, I really liked this beer.

tgbljb, Aug 30, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

We picked up a six-pack of this in Ely, MN, before heading into the Quetico, and I stashed one away to review later. Now is the time!

It's black, but not completely, with ruby highlights. Big tan head, excellent lacing. Smells like coffee with cream, and the taste is nicely balanced between bitter coffee and lactose sweetness. Mouthfeel was lacking, kinda watery, but the carbonation gave it a nice smoothness. I'm glad I was able to save a bottle of this--thanks go out to the girls for hating it.

battlekow, Aug 28, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

Picked up a sixer at Woodman's East here in Madison. My first taste of Sam Adams, and a rather tasty one at that.

Pours a deep black/brown with a beautiful 2 finger creamy head that lasted the entire beer with good lacing. Aroma is woody, vanilla, and barley malts. Taste is woody roasted coffee, with vanilla and dark cherry notes and maybe a little milk chocolate. Rather sweet overall, could maybe use some more balancing hops, but I don't mind a sweet beer. Mouthfeel is rich and full-bodied, with medium carbonation. I could drink about 2 of these and the fulness would set in. I tasty cream stout here for sure, and a bargain at $5.99/sixer. Definitely worth a go.

Golden2wenty1, Aug 24, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +15.6%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: Pours with about a two finger very creamy tan head. The color of the beer is very dark not allowing much light through. The head shrinks just a little over time and stays throughout the drinking of the whole bottle..

Smell: Smells of Carmel and a slight chocolate smell. You can also smell hops and a slight cream smell.

Taste: A very creamy taste at first and then flavor roasted coffee and chocolate settle on the tongue. There is also a sligh smoky taste that lingers on the tounge after swallowing. At the end there is a slight bite from the hops.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy with a smooth Mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. I could have a few of these in a row.

My first cream stout and I think that it is excellent. Keep up the great work Boston Beer Company. This is a beer that can be drank anytime of the year.

bahumutx, Aug 19, 2005
3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

Appears a black with a 3 finger tan head that lasts for over a minute. Fine rings of lacing are left behind. Rootbeer float head stays floating.
Smell is of creamy milk sugar mixed with caramel, chocolate malts, along with coffee beans and hops, leaving a slow bitter bite at the end of the inhale.
Taste is of all the same luscious aromas but it could use a bit more rounding out as the roastiness is a bit overkill.
Mouthfeel is of chewy, velvetty smoothness with a roastiness that lingers a bit too long. Full bodied and a nice compliment to a slow burning cigar.
Drinkability is not bad. This is a good slow sipping brew to enjoy with some chocolate cake, or a rich cigar. Another winner in the Sam Adams family of brews.

weeare138, Aug 15, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

I bought a couple of Sam Adam's brews last night that I have not tried yet from a store that was going out of business. 30% off, what a deal!

Appearance: Pours very dark brown almost black with a good creamy head.
Aroma: Carmel and malty, very pleasing but a little on the thin side.
Taste: Chocolate, malt, and coffee all that you would expect. Leaves a taste that lingers with a creamy goodness.

Overall: I don’t have a craving for stouts too often but when I do, I would consider buying this again. I was very pleased with this offering.

Caesar1pup, Aug 12, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Just purchased for $4.98 for a 6-pack, on a whim because I have never tried this beer before. I am kicking myself for not purchasing this until now. This is my new favorite Sam Adams product.

Appearance: Pours from a 12-oz bottle with best by Dec. 05 notched on the label. Pours into a pint glass very dark brown. When held to the light a little dark ruby color is seen. Head is about 3/4-inch and rather brown. Did not last incredibly long, and fell to a few clouds on the liquid. Good clinging lace to the finish.

Smell: Roasted malt, aromas of dark roasted chocolate with some roasted coffee beans as well. Hops not noticeable, which I like in a stout, I like'em malty.

Taste: Way more than I expected. Robust, roasted malty flavor profile with the taste of roasted chocolate dominant. A nice bitterness at the finish that makes the whole experience very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth and a little slick, I guess I would call it creamy as the label says. Clean finish, that I found to not be sweet, and actually I thought it was a little dry on the finish.

Drinkability: Very good, easy drinking beer. Low alcohol content makes this one sessionable. I can usually find Sam Adams for $5.49 to $5.99 somewhere, and I will definitely have to get this one again. I recommend it. My new choice as best beer in the Sam Adams family of beers.

BigRedN, Aug 11, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours near black with garnet highlights (if held to light) sporting a 3 fingered tan head that hangs on and gives some lace.

Aromas of roasted malted barley with a hint of caramel and toffee. Flavor is similar. Medium body and a dextrinous mouthfeel. Hops and roasted malt balance the initial caramel sweetness.

Very well brewed not as complex as Kalamazoo Stout but certainly surprizing for a high volumn brewer.

karst, Aug 10, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -9.9%

Dated Nov 05. Pours a very dark black/brown with a nice creamy head. Leaves a nice trace of lacing. Scents of chocolate, and roasted malt. I do like this better than a Guiness, but I guess Stout's are not my cup of tea. Medium body and I could drink two, but that's about it.

Wasatch, Jul 22, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -8.2%

The appearance is black with a small creamy tan head (some large bubbles remain). The head laces a little and is also a bit resilient.

Its smell is of roasted malt and a bit of chocolate.

The flavor is roasty and chocolaty. Hints of the creamy sweetness also emerge, hence the name. Overall, the roasted malt is most powerful.

The mouth feel is a bit light for a stout and is a little over carbonated for my likings.

Drinkability is good even with the carbonation and is much better than I remember it being last year.

Naes, Jul 15, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Presentation: Classic looking and readily identifiable 12 ounce brown glass bottle with a signature Sam Adams embossed shoulder and a colorful crown cap. Has the archetypal Samuel Adams label, but on this occasion it is dark brown and is labeled as ‘Brewmaster’s Collection - Cream Stout’. No strength but a nicked label shows that this Best Before July 05, another almost out of date brew from BevMo, are these guys a clearing house for old beer!!?

Appearance: Deep dark brown body supports a decent looking soft and creamy light brown head rises like a proving bread dough but soon settles and leaves some awesome lacing on the straight sided glass walls. ¼’ Head covering remains throughout, a stern cap and decent levels of conditioning support the looks.

Nose: Has a lovely enticing mix of roasted coffee and dark chocolate aromas. Caramel, chocolate coated chewy toffee in the back end.

Taste: Solid taste profile. Roasted espresso coffee, dark chocolates, singed caramel, barley and brown sugar which all linger and meld together nicely as they rise together extremely well at the peak of strength in the latter third. In the finish though, they start to wane and leave a light burnt caramel and chocolate taste with a coffee throat and some bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Creamy but the chocolate, caramel and bitterness all help to keep the cream from over taking this one. Mild sweetness and an attractive warmth to this one in the swallow. Not only do the Tastes linger but so does the Mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Inoffensive and rather attractive, I couldn’t manage too many of these to be honest but it drinks well.

Overall: Enjoyable offering from a Brewery that can stagger off the path once in a while with over-priced and over-hyped brews as well as rather staid boring under-achievers. But I really enjoyed this one, one of their better brews me thinx - but I’m no brewer and an English patriot so I guess my thoughts don’t count for much here , but I know what I like and I enjoyed this one. No problems with recommending that you pick up a 6-Pack of these!

TheLongBeachBum, Jul 10, 2005
3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

Serviceable stout, the gimmick is the load of cream in the head. The taste of the body was nonobjectionable, passable stout, drinkable. Drying, with some coffee grinds, burnst grounds, not much roastiness, much malt. Bit of graininess. Well carbonated.

Sammy, Jul 03, 2005

12 oz bottle from Kappy's, Route 114, Peabody, Massachusetts. Picked up a six pack.

I want to say this used to be available every year from SA, but I haven't seen it in awhile. Something tells me I used to thoroughly enjoy drinking it, but it's hard to say with any certainty.

Thick tan head leaving clingy lacing on the glass. Deep black in color. Smells like roasted malts and chocolate and tastes pretty much the same. My memory is starting to come back as I enjoy this beer.

This Cream Stout comes from the Samuel Adams "Brewmaster's Collection" and a lovely addition it is.

fdrich29, Jun 29, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

Best before date of November 2005

Pretty dark with a 1" creamy dark tan head.

Smells chocolatey and sweet balanced by some hops. Considerable lactose in there as well.

Moderately carbonated with a heavy body.

Lactose, chocolate, and caramel up front, then it moves on to a more milk chocolate taste with the hops coming through at the same time. These flavors linger for quite some time in the finish

blackie, Jun 29, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

This beer pours black with very little light shining through. The head is brown. It fades slowly leaving very thick laces. It smells malty, with hints of chocolate and caramel. Also, slight hints of coffee. There is a very subtle hop aroma also. It tastes strongly of milk chocolate. It has a very slight taste of coffee also. It is not as sweet as I would expect, but it is still good. This beer is very creamy. It goes down quite smooth. It is carbonated very nicely. It leaves a coffee taste on the palate. This beer would probably make a good session beer because it is low in alcohol, and it is mild. This is not the best Cream Stout I have ever had, but it is still quite good. If you happen to see this one, you should give it a try. It is in my opinion, one of Boston Beer Company's better beers.

OStrungT, Jun 13, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours out brillantly...extremely deep red in color when held to the light. Tan head that clings to the side of the glass.

Nice rich smell, mostly of chocolaty, creamy goodness.

Tastes wonderful, with a noticable hop bitterness. Once you get past the hops, the malt taste pokes through and reflects the smells. Medium carbonation makes this feel great in my mouth. This is one I like to keep on hand and drink a few of during the course of an evening. Not my favorite stout, but one of the better stouts to drink in session.

bobbyc881, Jun 12, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz BB July '05 poured into a pint.

Black with brown edges. Small light tan head that falls to a veil with a sticky ring.

Aromas of coffee, chocolate, caramel, and faint hops. Nice nose!

The roasted notes dominate the taste. There's a hop inspired finish, but not much else. Nice milky mouthfeel. Sessionable if you're a fan of roasty beers.

ypsifly, Jun 07, 2005
3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Presentation: Poured a near-black into a traditional pint glass. There was about a two-finger thick tan head with reasonably good retention for a stout. The scent was rather faint, but what I caught of it was roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate. It wasn't really that pronounced.

Tasting: This was a pretty rich-tasting brew. Chocolate and cocoa were the most prominent tastes, followed by black coffee and roasted malts. Low hop bitterness made this beer exceptionally easy on the palate. It had a medium-heavy body, similar to a Porter as opposed to a Stout. There was also a slightly chewy texture. This certainly could be a session beer, seeing as it has a reasonable alcohol by volume and it is suitable for quaffing.

I recommend this beer, particularly to those who are interested in the Milk / Sweet Stout style. It's not the best example of it, but it's pretty damn good.

bceaglejoe, May 22, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This beer surprised me and I'm glad I have a few more in the frig. It is black in color and a nice creamy covering remained for the duration of the beer which provided some impressive lacing. The smell is what surprised me the most with lots of caramel and some milk chocalate aromas and just a hint of toast coming through all the sweet smells and did I say caramel, oh yeah. The taste is not quite what I expected, since I have been drinking lots of stouts lately, but I haven't drank any sweet stouts for a while, so it feels a little lighter in the mouth almost crisp. The English hops come through with a little bit of a leafy taste and also the caramel malts are strongly present. There is a bit of an astrigent roast taste, but not in a bad way. This may be one of the most balanced stouts I've ever had, which would make this an easy session beer. Surprised and impressed!!

Schwarzbart, May 07, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

This beer was not what I expected. I didn't expect it to be this good! Comes in a fairly standard 12 oz bottle, with best by Month clearly marked on the side.

The worst part of the beer is the appearance, and by worst I simply mean it is average. I compare the head on this to the head of some big name stouts, and it is lacking a bit. Head is lacy and clings well to the glass, but light overall for the style. Color has more red to the black than most stouts. Smell is sweet and creamy, unusual for a stout but very appetizing. Taste is very good. Slightly chocolaty, slightly fruity, very quaffable and drinkable enough to be a session beer - compared to stouts I have previously sampled is an exceptional quality. Almost a dessert beer, but sweetness is complementary to the flavor and not overwhelming. One of the Boston Beer Company's best!

RocketWidget, May 06, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Strong chocolate aroma - pours smooth with an average head that dissipates to a thin lacing. Bitter taste with a hint of strong coffee. More carbonation that your average stout - not the flat mouthfeel of a Guinness. Aroma and bitter coffee tast were a bit much for me. I prefer a smoother stout such as Guinness.

Celt44, Apr 30, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +13%

Pours a very dark brown / garnet color that allows a bit of light to pass through. Topped off by a frothy head typical of Sam Adams. Very aromatic nose, lots of cream and chocolate. Milky smooth flavor with sweet chocolate balanced by roasted grain. Mouthfeel is a little thin, but overall, it is creamy and smooth. Probably my favorite Sam Adams offering.

BeerFink, Apr 30, 2005

This is another strong offering from Sam Adams. Appears a solid dark brown color with a floaty beige head that lasts for a little while, but eventually fades. Smell is of dark fruits, a bit of chocolate dust and some coffee grounds. Taste includes those flavors and more, with a nice mellow milky creaminess thrown in there, hence the name perhaps. Fair amount of roasty malt, yet this beer has hardly any bitterness to it, with some sweet molases flavoring as well. Nice smooth mouthfeel, though maybe a little lighter than your average stout. A good one.

twelvsies, Apr 25, 2005
3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

12 oz. brown bottle with "for brewery fresh taste purchase before month notched" date of June.

Opaque walnut color with huge, irregular shaped, tan colored head. Bubbles cling nicely.

Roasty and toasty smell. Slight hint of chocolate, coffee, and molasses.

Crisp and smooth at the top. Chocolaty malts and molasses gain strength into the finish. Carbonation is sharp in the back of the mouth. Bitter roasted malts leave a smoky, burnt toast aftertaste.

Cream stouts aren't my preference, but there's nothing shabby about this beer.

Shultzerdugen, Apr 14, 2005
2.78/5  rDev -29.1%

Disappointed. Expected a lot more from a milk stout. Initial take looked promising, excellent almost black pour with tan head, nice lacing. Aroma started the downhill slide, almost no maltly quality to it. The taste was the bottom of the barrel, way too hoppy, no smoothness or *cream* to the brew. Way too thin and carbonated. All in all, you can find better stouts out there.

Vancer, Apr 04, 2005
Samuel Adams Cream Stout from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)