Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cream StoutSamuel Adams Cream Stout

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 10-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cream Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,230 | Hads: 2,534
4.01/5  rDev +1.8%

I picked up a six pack of Samuel Adam's Cream Stout last week for $7.99 at Krogers. I've passed this one up many times for no apparent reason so I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. It had an enjoy by date of October, so it's almost out of date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The Label is pretty typical for Samuel Adams it's ok. It poured a very dark brown color that was bordering on black and it took on a brown hue when held to the light with two and half fingers worth of fluffy dark tan head that died down a thin clumpy layer that stayed till the end and it left lots of lacing behind. This is a very good looking bee that's about as true to style as it can get.

S- The aroma starts with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a nice caramel and toffee aroma that sticks out nicely. Up next comes the roasted malts that seem to have a medium amount of roast to the and a very slight charred aroma with some nice dark bread, chocolate and light vanilla aromas coming through. This beer has a pretty good aroma that's fairly complex for the style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of malts with some brown bread and dark medium roasted malt flavors coming through with some chocolate and a slight bit of vanilla also showing up. Up next comes some caramel and toffee flavors that show up just enough. On the finish there's a fairly low amount of bitterness with a roasty and slightly charred aftertaste. This is a pretty good tasting Cream Stout, it's pretty true to style with some nice balance.

M- Smooth, clean, creamy, on the slightly thick side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer, but I thought the carbonation could be slightly lower.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a pretty good example of the style, it did a good job of representing the style while having some good balance and even a little bit of complexity, I enjoyed it. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, creamy, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a few of these when in the mood for this style. What I liked the most about this beer was the taste and aroma they were just what I wanted in the style and the appearance was also really good. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad, but the carbonation could be just slightly lower. I would get a six pack of this again to keep in the fridge for when I'm in the mood for the style and I would recommend it to anyone who likes the style or dark beers in general. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, I admit that sometimes I get caught up into the big, bold, and flavorful stouts, but it's always nice to come back to a dark beer like this is one that's tasty, smooth, and drinkable. Good job guys this is pretty close to a textbook example of the style and I'm glad to have access to it, keep up the good work.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Very dark brown body with a medium-dark, creamy-looking, three finger khaki head forming off an easy pour. Some lacing from the get-go.

S: Nicely roasted malts with just a touch of char quality.

T: Roasted malt flavor is lighter than the nose suggested, but is still nice. Hints of milk chocolate accompany nicely. Some oxidation. Sweet overall.

M: About as light-bodied ad the ABV would suggest.

O: A nice offering from Sam Adams and not a stout I would turn down, especially given the price.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle poured into a Samuel Adams pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pitch black color, completely opaque, with a half of a finger off-white head that quickly dissolved into a nice lacing of foam that partially covered the top of the beer, with a thin halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass.

Aroma: Dark bread and lots of roast and dark chocolate with hints of vanilla, toffee and candied sugar.

Taste: Like the aroma, dark bread and lots of roast and dark chocolate with hints of vanilla, toffee and candied sugar. Think toasted bread served with coffee and creamer.

Mouthfeel: Medium with much more carbonation that I was expecting in a cream stout. Not as smooth as most cream/milk stouts that I’ve had, and with an ABV of only 4.9%, there is no alcohol present on the palate.

Overall: This is a good stout, but nothing special. I’d drink it again, if offered, but there’s a ton of other stouts that I’d get over this!

4.11/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Dark. Creamy, Foamy head that measures a good full finger. Thick. Sticky. Head is a darker tan in color.

S: Not much scent at all. Maybe I should get my nose checked. What I do smell is chocolate and cream.

T: Creamy. Sweet. Roasted Malt. Dark Chocolate. Taste comes in like a lion and out like a lamb. Magnificent.

M: Light for how thick the pour was. Lots of carbonation. Not as smooth as most cream stouts, but very very good. I would pair this with dessert. I think ice cream, chocolate cake or cheesecake would pair very nice with this.

O: One of my favorite cream stouts in that it isn't like other cream stouts. I am impressed with all of the carbonation and the taste aspects.

I was given a bottle of this from a friend that finally found it in our area. I was very excited seeing that is had such good ratings and i am a sucker for dark beers ( especially stouts ).
The pour was about 2 finger, and the head lasted the whole enjoyable time i drank this beer.
The smell was coffee, caramel, chocolate, and slight hops. The taste was out of this world for me. The chocolate was overall the leader of the pack once it hits the taste buds and slide back the flavors pour from chocolate to coffee to finally a faint milky caramel sweetness. Then the great part the pallet opens up for the final hint of alcohol to make this combination a favorite of mine. From cool summer nights to hot humid days i believe i would enjoy this beer no matter what.

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Finally found a six pack of creme stout and had to try it. When you smell it you can definitely smell the coffee. You taste that and the caramel but not the chocolate, which isn't a bad thing. The beer was close to black in my glass but tasted great. Probably should have gotten it in the fall, but overall, a good Sam Adams.

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

Dark brown, almost black with just a little light showing through. Off white to tan head that's nice and creamy and lingers throughout the glass and leaves heavy lacing.

Sweet and roasty, pretty subtle. Picking up some chocolate and a touch of coffee. Very pleasant, but would like a little more.

Very much like the nose, a super well balance between the sweet and the roasty - nothing takes over and nothing lingers. Tasty dark chocolate, the usual lactose sweetness and just a touch of roast. Very very nice.

Fairly heavy, semi light carbonation, very creamy and smooth. A dessert, yet refreshing at the same time.

Very impressed by this one. The balance is perfect - not too sweet, not too heavy, just a great example of the style.

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Big fluffy head, beige in color. Very dark brown. Still opaque.

Lightly lactic and nutty. Nicely roasty with that evening milkinesd that tames the aroma. Light creamed coffee and milk chocolate.

Nutty, bready, and permeated by notes of roast barley. Lactic notes are tamer. Some coffee. Not particularly sweet, nor dry. Some hop bitterness, but dominated by pure unadulterated maltiness.

Medium-light body. Some carbonation in the form of leftover coarse bubbles that blend in from the surface. Decent.

Enjoyed this more in the past. Always works. Satisfies the craving. Tasty.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured this one into a Samuel Adams "Perfect Pint" glass. This is one I’ve wanted to have for a good while now. The aroma is of sweetness with chocolates and coffee. The taste when it’s cold is bittersweet chocolate and subtle bits of coffee. As it warms up, roasty flavors become much more prominent. The look is pitch black with no light getting through... a creamy cinnamon head fluffs on top as well. Lacing is decent, but patchy. Mouthfeel is smooth but not too thick, making this 4.9% beer nicely drinkable. Overall, a very respectable beer.

4.19/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Dark brown pour with a brown foam that is quite active. Slight lacing is noted, and foam retention is very good.

S - Scents of roasted malt, dark chocolate, and a hint of smoke. As it warmed some subtle scents of caramel were present.

T - A light stout that has a roasty malt flavor with some sweetness of chocolate. There is a finish with some smoky flavors. I found this to have many of the qualities of a smoked porter, but more cocoa and less smoky heat.

M - Feels almost like its on nitro with such creaminess. A stout that can be had any season. Easy drinking but with enough complexity to appeal to the masses.

O - One of my favorites of the year round BBC offerings. A must try.

4.62/5  rDev +17.3%

I poured this from a bottle into a glass. I let it warm up to a bit closer to room temperature. I stumbled upon this brew by near pure accident. I asked my wife to pick me up a few stouts while she was out - I'm typically fond of nearly any stout, so I was sure she'd get something I liked. Out of a few different beers she purchased, this jewel was in the mix.

Let me state that, I'm typically a religious craft beer guy. Some might still consider Sam Adams craft; I'll leave that for debate among the readers. But when I opened this up, I was very taken back. The beer poured very dark - I definately wouldn't call it black, but it was about as brown as you can get. A pretty good head on it, with a very strong coffee smell.

When you take your first sip of this beer, it's likely going to be a roasted coffee taste with hints of caramel. But as you drink, the strong bitterness goes incredibly sweet, finishing off with a very pleasant taste and mouth feel. The only reason mouthfeel got a a 4 from me is because the carbonation was a bit intense.

I'm usually very touch and go with beer. I love stouts, porters, and just your good dark ales, but I love these sweet stouts. And this Sam Adams Cream Stout has to be one of the best if you like a sweet beer. I'd even go as far to say that this brew just might be the chocolate milk of the beer world.

Very drinkable beer. I've purchased it several times. This would be a great way to introduce someone to a stout, or just beer in general. Great stuff.

3.66/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Body is brownish-black with a half-finger tannish head. Leaves a little lace.

S: Coffee is the first impression - day-old coffee with some chocolate syrup.

T: First impression, flavor-wise, is also the coffee. Straight-up coffee but also roasted coffee beans. A touch of sweetness - molasses, maybe? - and a hint of general roastiness. Finishes more sweet than roasty.

M: A tad bit thin and a little bit too much carbonation.

O: Decent, for what it is - i.e., a lighter-style, easy-drinking stout.

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle BB March 2013 poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark brown bordering black opaque color. Nice two fingers of khaki brown head, good retention after the pour, tons of lacing left behind.

S: Getting creamy, lactose sweetness, some mild coffee and chocolate, some nuttiness light roasted notes.

T: Big roasted malt character upfront, slightly smoky, chocolate and lactose sweetness follow, slight bitter coffee and lingering roasted finish. Reminds me of a nut brown.

M: Light end of medium feel, very smooth, a soft creamy feel, and very sessionable.

O: Pretty impressive brew here from Sam Adams. Gunna say this is one of the better beers I've had from the Boston Beer Company.

3.84/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: A rich dark brown. Opaque when help up to the light. Head is thin but creamy.

Smell: Sweet with hints of chocolate and a little nutty. Overall, smell is not particularly strong.

Taste: Creamy flavor with a little coffee-ish bitterness. Rich and malty. Aftertaste is slightly bitter and nutty.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and just a little bubbly.

Overall: A nice smooth refreshing stout. Not terribly complex but definitely enjoyable. The smoothness and the low ABV make this a good session beer. Being a big fan of stouts, I can't say it's my favorite but It definitely satisfies the craving.

3.98/5  rDev +1%

Served about 40, allowed to warm a bit before evaluating.

A - Opaque nearly black with about a half inch of foam on a generous pour that dissipates to a persistent light brown ring.

S - Sweet and malty with significant chocolate, faint coffee roasty note.

T - Rich, big roasted character carried well on the creamy mouthfeel. Toasty biscuit quality in the malt as well. Bitterness comes through late, more as an aftertaste, but still with a sweetness like you'd expect in a very rich chocolate.

M - Rich, thick, creamy, and complex. Smooth and rewarding. A delicate balance between the smoothness early and the carbonation, which you get a bit later.

O - This is a very good example of the sweet stout style. Avoids the harsh tannin bitterness that is too often found. Well worth a try.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

I have been drinking a lot of Stouts lately. Tonight I tried 3 different ones. LHMS-Nitro, Terrapin Moo Hoo and SA Cream Stout.
Alone I would probably have rated this beer a higher. But in this grouping it is very average. It is very drinkable and a friendly stout. It is not overly sweet or bitter. It is very balanced. It has an unusually high amount of carbonation for a stout. I poured it like I pour most stouts straight down to the bottom of the glass and the foam almost over flowed my Duvel Snifter. It reminded me of soda water more than anything else. Black soda water with a huge head that quickly dissipates to about 4 fingers. The carbonation was so strong it maintained an 1/16-1/8th inch head until I finished the beer about 20 minutes after the pour. It just kept reforming. And it wasn't lacy and was a fully formed head that covered the entire top of the beer.
If it was the only stout available I wouldn't have a problem sessioning this beer but if I had the choice I would look for a more unique stout. I would say it is my 5th choice of a cream or milk stout. It was good but just average for a milk stout and would probably be a good choice if you were introducing someone to dark beer.

4.55/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a Guinness glass at 45 degrees F.
Then, served from the bottle at 38 degrees F. (My preference)

Appearance - Deep, rich, dark brown with nice, light tan head which holds up nicely in a glass. Looks on the thin side for a stout.

Smell - Malts: sweet, chocolatey, nutty. Hops: mellow and floral, but barely there.

Taste - Rich cocoa smacks you in the face, leaving behind a little bit of chocolate malt and some light-roast coffee.

Mouthfeel - Perfect from the bottle. Thick, nearly viscous, little thinner than a milkshake. Not as thick and milkshakey from a glass, but still rich.

Overall - Easily one of my favorites. For the Guinness die-hards, a great, slightly less filling choice with a higher ABV and more complete flavor. Do yourself a favor and try it.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Almost pure black in color with a nice, tan creamy head.

The smell and taste is of dark roasted malts.
Some chocolate and coffee notes come through in the taste as well.
The hop bitterness is mild.

Not as sweet or as creamy as some milk stouts that I have had.
I would have liked a little more sweetness, but that is a minor point.

Even though the ABV is only 4.9%, this beer is very filling.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

A - Jet black with fluffy 3 finger tan head. Good lacing on the glass.

S - Roasty malt, chocolate, coffee, slight smokiness.

T - Chocolate, tobacco, smoke. Lingering sweetness. Some coffee notes as it warms. Slight earthy hops.

M - Creamy and smooth.

O - Very well balanced, medium bodied with low carbonation.

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Deep dark chocolate brown with dark mahogany highlights. Tan head with good retention and lacing.

Coffee, chocolate, sweet cream (malted milk), nut.

Soft chocolate and coffee notes that are slightly bitter give way to a creamy mouth feel with burnt malt nutty flavors. This is followed by a sharp sting from carbonation leading to bitter herbal notes keeping the mouth lively. The mouth feel is wonderful. This a delicious cream stout with a nice sweetness balanced out by bitter notes making it more savory than sweet - excellent.

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 ounce bottle -> Dogfish Head Glass

This beer pours up a deep obsidian, as black as the darkest night, as black as my ex girlfriend's evil heart. There is a one and a half finger head the color of caramel with good retention and lots of lacing. The smell is coffee and roasted nuts. Taste is very sweet and malty up front with a very dry bitter coffee and roasted nutty finish with some mild sour lemon notes. Mouthfeel is nice, full and satisfying. Pretty good offering.

3.29/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This was a 12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

It pours a dark opaque brown almost black. Great lacing and thick head with tiny bubbles. This is the best quality of this beer. It smells boozy. The taste is definite roasted malts and then booze. It has a decent body and good carbonation. I would pass this up in the future for other stouts and at the price it was being sold for there are definitely better stouts.

3.79/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12 fl oz bottle
poured a dark coke like colored liquid, little to no light passes through, 1 finger creamy white head.
nose composed of milk chocolate and bit of coffee, mildly sweet, palate like bitter sweet chocolate milk, very pleasant silky medium to full body, nice carbonation, overall palate and nose are just ok but the creamy-ness of it really stands out, nice smooth stout to start out.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, dark brown nearly black with a large foamy tan head that lingers leaving good lacing, clear

S: coffee, chocolate, slightly sweet

T: dark chocolate and coffee up front, sweetens slightly in the middle, finish has nice hop bitterness

M: medium with a mouth coating feel

O: pretty nice offering from BBC

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured into a beer mug.

Dark Cola colored brown/black with 1 finger of brown head.

Coffee, cream, caramel and milk chocolate.

Big flavors of caramel and some milk chocolate. Medium roast coffee with creamer and a few spoonfuls of table sugar. A light lingering bitterness catches on the finish.

Light-medium bodied, crisp, clean and smooth.

A very nice little Cream Stout. Easy drinking and sessionable.

Samuel Adams Cream Stout from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)