Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig AleSamuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Winter Warmer |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale Alström Bros

A - This beer poured an orange bronze color that produced a fluffy white head that had good retention and laced the side of the glass nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer were toasted malts, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg

T - The taste of this beer was right along with the nose, toasted malts, and a mix of spices that reminds you of the Christmas desserts

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body along with a light to moderate amount of carbonation

D - I don't have much experience with Winter Warmers, but if Samuel Adams' attempt is any indication of the style, this is a group of beers that I need to become quickly acquainted with

cvfish, Nov 29, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to my dad for picking up the SA Winter pack. Poured into my glass the beer is brownish orange with a massive tan head. The head was half the glass after an easy pour. I had to finish pouring twice.

The aroma is malty and spicy but not super srtong. Getting my snooter all up in the glass I can pick out cinnamon and ginger maybe some brown sugar and nutmeg. Sweet malt for sure.

The flavor is very nice. It's about what I would want a beer with a christmas scene on the label to taste like. Sweet malts with spices that were noted in the nose. Like a christmas cookie if you will.

Medium body with just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall a very well put together holiday ale. This would be a great addtion to any christmas get together. Session beer for you and grandama.

beerwolf77, Nov 27, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +26.8%

I'm a huge fan of Samuel Adams as a whole, so maybe I'm biased. Having said that, I feel that Old Fezziwig Ale is hands down the best beer they offer to the masses (Utopias and Imperials excluded). Part of me is happy they only offer the beer as part of their Winter Classics each year, and the other part of me wishes they offered it individually as a sixer. I cherish every sip of this "nectar", and right now I'm on beer number 3 (yes I bought two 12 packs simply to have access to 4 of these beers) of 4. What I truly enjoy about it is how it starts out as a complex dark beer, then shortly after drinking it becomes sweet and cinnamony.

I'm not sure if this year's batch is better than previous year's, but I must say that I've appreciated it more this year than I did in years past. In fact, I'm enjoying it so much that I plan on buying at least two more 12 packs tomorrow night.

It's easily my favorite dark beer (I almost feel incorrect in calling it a dark beer, though it has that consistency and mouthfeel), and one of my 5-10 favorite beers I've ever had.

rambojr03, Nov 27, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into standard pint.

A: Dark brown in color. Pours into a 1 finger foamy bone white head. Settles fairly slowly leaving some lacing on the sides of the glass as it does, and a thin layer of bubbly carbonation on the surface. Sparse, but persistent, spotty lacing remains.

S: Malt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Smells kinda' like hot buttered cinnamon rolls.

T: Roasted malt. Subtle cinnamon but more nutmeg. Also, a hint of peppermint.

M: Pretty light, but robust and hearty. Really coats the palette, and leaves a hearty malt aftertaste. Feels a bit overly carbonated though.

D: This is a really great sipping beer.

Great atmosphere. Really solid appearance, terrific nose. The flavor is really malty and robust. Great combination of spice components. Overall, this is a great quaff.

bmwats, Nov 27, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Deep amber with creamy head that stays on top for a good while. Decent lacing. Looks rich and inviting

S- Malt, molasses and brown sugar come to mind at first, finishes almost with an orange peel

T- Malty and round but not as rich as the appearance suggested.

M- Average ale, again, I thought I would be sipping something much thicker and with deeper notes.

D- I could enjoy many of these. I would drink a session of Fezziwig this time of year without much hesitation

(from in winter 12 pk. sampler)

smallbatchbrewer, Nov 26, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into an oversized pub glass.

A: Dark amber in color, thick fluffy off-white head that leaves nice lacing.

S: Toasted malts, mildly bitter hops.

T: Malty sweet up front with nice mild spice (maybe nutmeg) in the middle and a slightly bitter hop finish.

M: Medium bodied and crisp carbonation.

D: Overall, this is a very good crowd pleaser. Definitely caseworthy...

ujsplace, Nov 26, 2009

Poured into a pint glass.

This brew has an amber color with a tan fluffy head. nice lace.

This brew smells of malts, some spice.

This brew has a very nice malt flavor, with a smooth mouthfeel and a nice sweet spice flavor Very well balanced.

Very drinkable - very good winter warmer.

magine, Nov 26, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

I got this beer through the Sam Adams winter variety 12 pack. I can safely say the Winter Lager, the Holiday Porter, and this beer are the only shining gems out of the package.

A- Dark brown with hints of red in the background. Poured pretty well, a little thin of a head

S- Chocolate malt with hints of ginger, smells like a sweeter beer.

T- Quick hit of ginger with citrus straight off the taste buds! The taste is immediate with hints of chocolate afterwards. A solid taste, but it sadly doesn't last long in the mouth.

M- Low carbonated beer with a definite tasty appeal. The mouth feel is pretty good. My only complaint is the explosion of flavor lasts so short. For the most part it's outstanding!

D- A really easy spiced beer to drink. I would enjoy and drink this beer again.

This beer is a very refreshing and sweetly spiced beer. Definitely a holiday beer that you have after you've shoveled the driveway or something to just enjoy with a good book. I would highly recommend it again.

ewlarson, Nov 24, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured in to my Gulden Draak tulip, which has been busy lately. Semi-opaque cherry color. Head starts off fluffy, but greatly recedes. Laces quite well.

Bright orange, cinnamon and ginger are in ample supply. Has the rich malt aroma of a doppelbock almost. Nicely potent. Lightly bready with caramel.

Even does have a bit of a raisiny bock malt flavor. The orange and spices are definitely there. I like the ginger in these seasonal ales, but cinnamon seems to come across too bitter, even though it helps the nose. Orange peel is nice though. Spicy finish takes the place of any hops, as they are surely in short supply. Almost one notch higher, but could use a little more malt complexity. The chocolate and caramel malts don't quite come all the way out, even if traces of cocoa are there.

Medium bodied. Should be a little fuller, in my mind. Carbonation is a little busy.

Very enjoyable. As I cap off the set of reviews for the winter pack, this is probably my favorite, with the porter coming close. I liked five of six, so it probably will be a repeat buy before the season is out. I might have enjoyed it a bit more if it was beefed up a bit, to compete with Great Lakes Christmas Ale, the clear winner in my mind. Not a beer for long sessioning, but certainly one to have again.

ommegoose, Nov 24, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

The malt is very noticeable from the first opening, but overall the sweet character is enjoyable. The ginger/cinnamon finishes smoothly, contributing to its citrus notes. Honestly the citrus taste is subtle though, at first difficult to note in my opinion. The appearance has a rich, dark color that I enjoy.

Nichts, Nov 24, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

Old Fezziwig pours a very nice dark amber color with a small whitish head. The aroma is very malty with some chocolate, orange, and prune aromas.

The flavor is very sweet. Caramel flavors and a bit of roastiness. I get some of the ginger. The orange peel comes across more like lemon to me. there is some astringency in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel and carbonation are just about in the middle.

Overall, a good Christmas beer.

Spidey13, Nov 23, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

a: pours a nice ruby chestnut color with thin head...

s: light spices, nutmeg, sweet sappy maltyness...

t: slight bite from the spices, more than expected from a sam adams product...almost a cinammon nip with nutmeg and malts...hint of molasses...

m: carbonated, rich, smooth...

d: the best of the sam adams winter pack without a doubt...a nice offering...

Salud!

sirdrinkwell, Nov 22, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours dark amber with rocky head that retains well at first and recedes to a nice thin lace. Nose has a nutty quality as well as maybe holiday spice cookies. On the palate there's a balanced expose of caramel, roasty flavors, and some ginger to sweeten things. Medium to light bodied ale, and very easy drinking.

yemenmocha, Nov 21, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Pours a dark brown with hints of dark red when held up to light. Two finger head.

S- The first thing I smell is chocolate malt. A little swirling brings out some notes of sweet orange and a bit of spicyness(ginger). It has my mouth watering.

T- I definitely taste the ginger upfront followed by the citrus and chocolate. It then finishes with a lingering chocolate malt and bitter hop aftertaste. Maybe a bit of alcohol.

M- It's a medium bodied beer with carbonation on the low end of moderate carb. This creates a smooth, velvety effect in the mouth.

D- Really easy drinking considering the spiced quality of this beer. I've had a few winter warmers before and this one straddles the line nicely between being under- and over-spiced.

samie85, Nov 20, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -5%

Pours a clear dark brown, with a thin tan head. Smells like gingerbread cookies, yum. Taste is very bock-like, dark molassasy malts up front, hints of ginger and cinnamon in the middle, and a tea like flavor in the finish. Mouthfeel is Smooth and creamy, low carbonation. Drinkability is good, but the beer does get a bit tart tasting by the end of the glass, driving that score down a bit.

Good beer, don't know if I would buy a 6 pack of it, but a welcome addition to the Winter mixpack.

tronester, Nov 20, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Sam Adams- Old Fezziwig

A- Light copper brown with a small but solid head. Good lacing along the rim.
S- Spicy. Graham cracker/ ginger bread with hints of nutmeg and molasses.
T- Spicy. Good molasses malt with a spicy nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger touch. Finishes off spicy.
M- Thick spicy malt throughout. Finishes off with dry nutmeg.

Overall- Actually quite good. Better than expected. A very good Winter Warmer. This should be offered in 6er form.

NJpadreFan, Nov 19, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a magnificent dark brown with ruby hues. Light tan head that dissappears rapidly but leaves a nice blanket of silky lacing behind.

Smells a lot like gingerbread. Can definetly recognize the giner and cinnamon spice. Quite complex.

Very flavorful. Spices come through right away and go along with the smell. Malt tastes slightly roasted yet maintains a healthy level of smoothness. Hops provide a noticable crispness. Spicy flavor lingers in the aftertaste.

Medium bodied and ample carbonation.

I really like this brew. Very complex and flavorful. I would definetly suggest this one over Sam Adams winter lager. Sure to warm the spirits of beer lovers as well as any winter warmer can.

bnes09, Nov 19, 2009

Ah, Old Fezziwig, I've heard a lot about this beer over the years so this year I decided to brave the odd additon to the Holiday mixed case of the new Coastal Wheat and of course the dreaded Cranberry Lambic in order to try this beer which is otherwise unavailable (I promise I will keep an open mind when I review my first Cranberry Lambic!).

Old Fezziwig poured into a pint glass is a gorgeous deep ruby, very clear with an off white head that falls fairly quickly and decisively leaving just a foamy ring of slippery lacing.

The aroma is of sweet malts with hints of cocoa, caramel, brandied fruits and raisins.

The flavor follows the nose closely with a big sweet malt body,somewhat bready with a cocoa tone. Caramel is there too along with dark candied fruits and nuts, much like a homemade brandied fruit cake (one you'd actually eat not one of those bricks that make the rounds at Christmas!). The finish is only very mildly bitter and has a just a touch of sour.

Mouthfeel is light/medium, very smooth with just enough carbonation to make it a bit lively.

I can understand now how so many people could look forward to thibeer every year as a harbinger of the Holidays. It is comforting and warming and I agree it should be available in six packs at least (along with the Holiday Porter if I can cast my vote for separate sixes here!).

BlackBearForge, Nov 17, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. ABV of 5.9%.

Appearance: Two fingers of tan foam. The body of the beer is clear and brown. Lacing is decent.

Smell: Cinnamon, ginger, and orange mingling wonderfully with the chocolate malts. I wish they made an Old Fezziwig scented candle.

Taste: Ginger is the first and most profound flavor I experience. Finishes with some orange and chocolate malt.

BierFan, Nov 17, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance - Poured into my SA Perfect Pint with a dark chocolate/hazelnut color. About two fingers of white fluffy head that recedes relatively quickly, but leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell - Extremely malty with spices such as nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon. There is also a sweeter citrus smell (not bitter like an IPA profile is often times) that just reminds you of Christmas.

Taste - God I forgot how much I love this beer. If you close your eyes and take a sip I immediately taste the ginger followed by the cinnamon and nice sweet malty/nutty flavors. This is not overly sweet by any means. It is well balanced with the spices and sweetness. I know many people don't particularly like spiced beers but I personally love them and this one hits home.

Mouthfeel - Extremely creamy and silky smooth. There is a great balance between the carbonation making it refreshing and not over done. Finishes with a bit of spiciness at the backend which again lets your mind wander to the smells and tastes of Christmas and makes you want to go in for another sip.

Drinkability - For a spiced holiday ale, extremely so. I am sitting here trying not to quaffe this down reminding myself I only get two in the holiday twelve pack. I could easily session this beer and not get sick of the spices. As stated, it is not overly sweet - the spices balance it well. I wish they made six packs of these during the holidays because I would grab a couple and sit up next to the fire with friends and family and just enjoy life. Cheers!

SpdKilz, Nov 17, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: Has a nice deep ruby red kissed brown hue with an eggshell creamy head thats about a finger width thick and has a great amount of lacing.

Smell: The nose is very subtle and is predominantly some toasted malts and an array of spices. there is a faint almost bubblegum sweetness that makes itself known.

Taste: The flavor is not as subtle as the nose but isn't very powerful nonetheless. It is sweet up front with a caramelized malt/ yeast backbone that holds it all together. There is a presence of citric fruit as well as spices such as clove, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Tastes much like a holiday spice cookie.

Mouthfeel: Zesty with medium carbonation and quite smooth. Isn't syrupy or cloying as the sweetness would normally suggest.

Drinkability: Thankfully it is only a seasonal brew because I think any other time of year it would seem out of place.

Overall: Perfect for the holiday season, it really fits the bill. I would prefer the brew as a whole if it were more forceful/bolder but it is still the taste of the season. Pass the cookies!

craftaholic, Nov 16, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a dark, crimson-brown color with little in the way of head or lacing, yet carbonation is apparent. Similar in appearance to a barleywine.
Smells sweet with cinnamon, raisin, molasses and assorted spices.
Flavor notes of cedar & pine, cinnamon, ginger, molasses and hickory. Full-bodied malt with a nice bite from both the hops and ginger to round things out.
As stated, full in body, with good carbonation and a nice burn from the ginger to keep things interesting.
A good winter-warmer offering. Unique and true to form, rather than being a lesser knock-off of better takes on the style.

Natural510, Nov 15, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a thick and dark red-brown with little head at all. Maybe a finger of head off of a not very gentle pour. The aroma is a variety of differnet malts with a very slight spicy scent that I couldn't identufy. The taste is thick and malty. Much more complicated than the smell. Light and slightly plain for a winter warmer. This has loads more flavor than the usual sam adams flavors. The thick taste coats the tongue and prevents quick drinking, but the taste is good and compared to many winter warmers I've had 5.6% is sessionable. I wish it came in it's own six pack because It's a pain to have it packaged with other stuff I don't reall like.

degerbah, Nov 15, 2009

Pours a brick red almost cranberry juice color with a half inch frothy white head.

The smell is sweet and malty with hints of fruit and cinnamon.

The taste is initally dominated by a sweet and fruity malty flavor with hints of cinnamon and other spices, giving way to a short dash of hops to cut through the malt, and finishing with the combination of cranberry tartness and sweetness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

I'd say that this beer is a really nice example of a winter warmer, and I'd definitely drink again.

advill88, Nov 12, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

that was a good beer, just reading the label made my mouth water

a beautiful, ruby red color poured into a pint glass, a great cinnamon smell with some ginger and malts, a nice taste of cinnamon and hops the whole way down, when ever i'd burp, i'd get a yummy taste of ginger and cinnamon, i agree with the others that its a great winter beer

i would love to see this in a 6-pack form, cant wait to enjoy the next one from the winter collection pack

psujesus, Nov 12, 2009
Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)