Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cranberry LambicSamuel Adams Cranberry Lambic

poor

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic Alström Bros
beercules101

British Indian Ocean Territory

01-30-2013 04:11:06 | More by beercules101
FlyingHigh

12-01-2011 00:15:10 | More by FlyingHigh
AtrumAnimus

4.93/5  rDev +84.6%

Lambic & Sam Adam's - I am a huge fan of the Boston Beer Company, But I was a bit hesitant to try this one. I am glad I did. This is an exceptionally good and very drinkable beer. The hops and the cranberry flavors combine to make a wonderful experience for the palate. The nose on this beer is exceptional as well. If you can find this - buy it and drink it. This is not your typical Lambic (Or chick beer as some call it). The exotic flavors that come pouring forth are to numerous to list and surprisingly the Cranberry is the least of them. Boston Beer company is very good at their hop blends. They have a knack that few can master. And here is a fine example of that mastery of hops with a fruit blend that is just fantastic Sam Adam's has achieved something special here.

01-02-2003 08:18:11 | More by AtrumAnimus
twi1609372

4.7/5  rDev +76%

i see this beer has a lot of bad reviews. I found this beer to be quite good actually. unlike other reviews, i did not fidn the cranbery overtly overbearing. it's there for sure but it isnt overtly strong. it's cranbery lambic, it's soposed to have cranbery taste. i guess if you abhored cranberys i could se enot liking it, but i dont mind cranberies, so i would say this was a different, yet enjoyable beer.

06-14-2004 07:44:14 | More by twi1609372
Stringth

4.65/5  rDev +74.2%

This beer is pretty much the only reason I buy those Holiday cases. I got turned onto Flemish style ales a year or two ago and yeah, it's barely beer, kind of sour, almost wine and I am hooked big-time. Jim Koch described it as a "weird beer" at the Night of Funk. I'd put it just under the extreme beer shelf. Cran Lam has the $10 a bottle FUNK for a fraction of the price. Jim, give us a few 750's of this baby!

10-25-2008 00:40:19 | More by Stringth
srrn

4.5/5  rDev +68.5%

Ok I'm suprised, I really like this. This has some of the funky earthy qualities I like in Belgian ales. More sour cherries than anything in the smell and taste. Nice smooth mouthfeel and clean slightly sour finish. I hated Samuel Adams cherry wheat, it kept me from trying this. This is definately a love it or hate it brew. I love it. Oh since I've read the other reviews after posting mine, this is not a true lambic, but if it is a fruit beer it is the first one I've enjoyed.

11-22-2008 02:49:46 | More by srrn
Beerme09

02-01-2012 14:40:06 | More by Beerme09
Wally1912

11-19-2011 18:38:09 | More by Wally1912
beernut7

4.43/5  rDev +65.9%

It is a real shame this one is only available in the winter mixer packs. This is the brew that turned me on to the lambic style of brew and encouraged me to brew a cranberry beer of my own. Nice and light and very refreshing,, this libation has a definitive tone of cranberry, yet does not get carried away to the point of resembling a fruit juice as many fruit beers do. I woul buy out the local store if they stocked cases of this stuff.

06-25-2002 11:39:05 | More by beernut7
KyleVick4

4.43/5  rDev +65.9%

A: Pours a light copper color with a nice thick head. Beuatiful belgian lacing cling to the sides. Crystal clear.

S: Screw all you naysayers I think this is a superb smell. I get the overpowering (perhaps fake) cranberry scent. It is subtle enough for me that I pick it up as a back drop of the beer. No hop scent at all and a little sweetness in the nose. The cranberry is just enough to be there but still allows for a little more complexity with the malt. Smell a grahm crakery smell which may be carmel, but then again I dont know if I would call it carmel, somthing different.

T: A sweet beer at first with a hint, Im talking hint, of sourness. Not a true lambic by any means. Missing is the uniqueness of the sourness and the real multidimentional taste of a lambic. What I find though, is a good beer, reminds me of the DFH aprihop (IPA with a mildy enticing fruity background), its a light beer with a mild amount of malt complexity and I dont think any hops. But the hints of cranberry and a weak sourness make it for me, an ideal session beer for a person who doesnt like to drink yak piss beer (read:BMC)

M: A great mouthfeel, highly carbonated but smooth on the palate. Again, not a real lambic but a great starter beer for introducing people to good beers, or perhaps a beer you can put back six easy while watching the game...

D: Superb. Can drink this easy going beer, kinda a mini belgian, all day long.

11-23-2006 21:49:20 | More by KyleVick4
CaptJackHarkness

4.43/5  rDev +65.9%

Pours a cloudy Red/Orange one inch or so of head diminishes rapidly, nice lacing on the glass.
It really smells like cranberries with perhaps a hint of lemon.Cranberry tartness without bitterness.I truly enjoyed this beer, despite it being six months out of date! Will be looking forward to a fresh batch at Christmas!

10-08-2011 23:09:21 | More by CaptJackHarkness
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +64%

A - Clear copper with a solid sticky head.

S - Cranberry of course, some sweetness, grass and metallic notes.

T/M - Apples come on strong, with the cranberries being almost a background flavour. Tart up front, bitter in the back, and comes with a non-thin body.

D - Extremely drinkable, and certainly much better than expected. One of the most balanced fruit beers I've had for sure.

01-07-2007 02:06:00 | More by allergictomacros
WVRadar

West Virginia

4.35/5  rDev +62.9%

A: Cloudy Amber/Orange with hints of red. 1 inch head diminishes rapidly, excellent lacing.

S: Didn't really smell like cranberries, seemed to be more like citrus to me.

T: Pleasant tart taste without bitterness.

M: Creamy, with noticeable carbonation.

D: I really liked this beer, and couldn't wait for another.

03-06-2011 15:51:12 | More by WVRadar
Morris729

4.33/5  rDev +62.2%

Pours a light to medium amber color with a creamy white head. Very fruity aroma with notes of sweet malts. Tastes of fresh fruit, tart cranberries, and maple syrup. Has a nice creamy texture in the mouth. Not really a lambic, but for a fruit beer, this is one of the best that I have tried. I know that a lot of people have ranked this beer pretty low, but I really enjoyed it. I think that I’ll save the second bottle that came in my Sam Adams gift pack for Thanksgiving.

11-22-2002 02:14:09 | More by Morris729
pweis909

Wisconsin

4.3/5  rDev +61%

I've read all these reviews that blast this beer because it is not really a lambic. Well, I never had a lambic, so that won't be the basis of this review. The basis is strictly whether I enjoyed the beer, and that is a solid yes. Picked up this bottle as part of a seasonal mix pack.

A- amber, tea color, with white head, ¼” thick, gradually dissipating. Lacing on the sides as it drains the glass.

S-Well maybe this isn't wat a fuirt lambic should smell like, but the cranberries are apparent and there is also the clove-like aromas I get when I am drinking some of the Unibroue products. The label suggests they use a belgian yeast.

T-tart, like cranberry. Malt reminds me of the Unibroue brews. No hops. Although the label claims maple, I don’t taste it, but I do get some spiciness that complements the cranberry. Yummy.

Mouthfeel is thinner than most sam adams beers, but works well with the cranberry tartness.

Well, I could drink this one all holiday season. My wife, not a beer drinker, will like this one, too.

The belgian characters I get make me wonder if they have changed the recipe this year.

11-16-2006 17:34:58 | More by pweis909
Cavanaghty

04-29-2012 19:21:07 | More by Cavanaghty
AaronRed

4.25/5  rDev +59.2%

What a lovely beer. I poured this into a wide mouth glass that I normaly reserve for Belgian beers and the aroma was great. It had a creamy head with just the right balance of tart and sweet. This would have been great to drink on Thanksgiving. I will remember.

11-25-2001 16:59:03 | More by AaronRed
LarryMac

4.25/5  rDev +59.2%

Honestly the best Sam Adams has to offer, in my opinion.

The color, smell and texture all suit it well. It's a bit tart at first, but hey - it's cranberry! Although I'm not typically a fan of "fruity" beers, they pull this one off without completely overwhelming the beer with the cranberry; they actually complement each other. The tartness of it is short lived, it goes down smooth and has just a hint of that cranberry aftertaste without getting stuck in your mouth.

Although I wish they'd offer it at more than the holiday season, it is definitely a good way to ring them in.

01-23-2011 19:22:32 | More by LarryMac
SilentSabre

North Dakota

4.25/5  rDev +59.2%

Not bad. Almost has the same colour as the cherry wheat. Pitiful white head dissolved in about 40 seconds. Medium lacing. The smell is nice, if you're a lambic fan. It has that damp, dank basement smell that most lambics have that I look for. There is some fruitiness of some sort present, but I cannot immediately tell that it is in fact cranberry. Either I'm getting a totally different impression of this stuff than everyone else, or the 2004 Holiday Season batch recipe has been altered from previous years. The taste is mildy spicy with a modertate sourness to it. Nothing like the "real" Belgian lambics that jerk your teeth out of your ass in the process of turning you inside out upon tasting the earth-shattering tartness...but one can tell that the folks at Sam Adams are trying, anyway. This is a great "kinda' heavy seasonal brew" sit around and sip on. I like it. As it warms and i type this review, a little bit more tartness manifests itself, and the cranberry becomes slightly more evident. I see a lot of folks think this is crap. I seem to enjoy it. Try it if you get the chance.

10-15-2004 04:36:02 | More by SilentSabre
MaineBeerMan

4.25/5  rDev +59.2%

Hazy dark orange color with a smallish head that left a bit of lace.
Smells of wheat, orangey banana, and of course cranberry.
Tastes of tart cranberry, some wheat and sweet malt, a bit of banana and yeast too. Pretty well carbonated, with a smooth mouthfeel, a decent tasting, nice cranberry wheat beer, but as Jason notes, not a lambic at all.

11-24-2002 17:10:25 | More by MaineBeerMan
67cuda

Colorado

4.22/5  rDev +58.1%

Pours a reddish-brown color with a 1 finger head... Doesn't taste much like cranberry, and since I dislike cranberry, I think thats a good thing. I really was expecting that I wouldn't like this beer, since it said "cranberry" on it, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's pretty sweet, and I liked that change.. I haven't had much experience with this beer style, but I like this beer a lot... Its kind of syrupy in your mouth, but not overly so, somewhat of a tart aftertaste... quite interesting. I could certainly (gladly!) drink this beer again.

12-23-2004 18:11:25 | More by 67cuda
hustlesworth

4.15/5  rDev +55.4%

A- 2in creamy frothy foam is white with a pink tint. surprisingly decent head retention and lots of slippery lace. in the magic hue separator glass it's ruby red grapefruit colored in the bulb, and golden peach in the stem. absolutely beautiful.

S- this is the only department where this brew lacks...buttery malt and artificial cherry candy.

T- tart cherry/berry and canadian whiskey! white grape, catawba, sweet children's cereal (mario/zelda from the 80's? but more notably kix) a slight bourbon taste and maplewood come from the maple syrup. the taste is not artificial as is the smell and this perplexes me. cranberry holiday bread and a charred maple yeasty wheat finish.

MF- mid carb powdery juicy and delightful

D- too bad there's only 2 of these in the multi-pack :(

11-19-2007 00:06:24 | More by hustlesworth
ThreePistols

4.1/5  rDev +53.6%

Light red amber, slightly hazy appearance. Fruity cranberry character; clean and crisp; tart, slight maple note in finish.
This is my first experience with a fruit Lambic, so I have nothing to judge this beer against.
I enjoyed the dry, clean, crisp, tart taste. It was however a little light on cranberry flavor. A very drinkable beer.
Currently available only in the Sam Adams Winter Classics 12 pack.

11-01-2001 10:14:16 | More by ThreePistols
NeroFiddled

4.08/5  rDev +52.8%

The full glass displays a slightly hazy (which is OK because it is a wheat beer...) orangeish-amber body with a crimson cast beneath a long lasting head of frothy off-white foam. The head retention is good and it maintains a thin lid throughout the glass and leaves some very nice rings of lace as well. The nose offers a bright combination of grainy malt and mildly tart fruitiness. The body is medium and its fine, median carbonation caresses the tongue before warming to become lightly creamy and smooth. The flavor delivers the promised Cranberry atop a delicate, grainy, wheatish malt base that's backed by just enough hop to keep it from becoming sweet. It finishes crisp and dry with some residual swirling notes of juicy fruit and cereal. Quite nice! I'm quite sure that this beer has improved over the years, and now offers a better balance with a reduced graininess and more fruit in its profile. I look forward to it each Thanksgiving - before, during, and after my meal!

01-05-2004 22:47:04 | More by NeroFiddled
BillyBrew

4.05/5  rDev +51.7%

This beer was a very special draught treat at the Sam Adams R+D brewery. A splotchy (non-homogenous colouring and texture) maroonish/plum colour with an active, fuzzy head. Heavy, musty (in a good way) fruit scents, although not neccesarily cranberry. Heavy, hardy wheat and tart flavors swirl in a heady complexity. Heavy body and nearly effervescent.

This brew is so much better draught than its bottled brothers. Who knew wheat and tart could be so great! Cheers!

10-06-2002 06:26:51 | More by BillyBrew
Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)