Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cranberry LambicSamuel Adams Cranberry Lambic

poor

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic Alström Bros
chOAKbarrell

3.28/5  rDev +22.8%

Oh, the controversy. Is it or isn't it a true lambic? Well, probably not. But then, on the label, Sam Adams simply states "it is our version..." So that's basically what it is. Someone's interpretation of a cranberry lambic. Also on the label, it says straight-up "wheat beer with cranberry juice." Hmm...

Cloudy faint red appearance with minimal head.

Some sweetness in the smell. Nothing too strong.

Up to this point, things are looking okay.

It's the taste that is not very lambic-like. Here is where the whole package seems more like a fruity wheat beer, which is really what this is. And there's nothing wrong with that. It is just probably not very accurate to call this a "lambic."

You can taste the beginnings of what would become a lambic's signature tartness in the mouthfeel. Unfortunately, it dies away almost as soon as it presents itself.

I would have this beer again, if only out of curiosity. I feel like I need to figure this one out...

11-16-2005 05:13:59 | More by chOAKbarrell
fromage

2.13/5  rDev -20.2%

Definitely a strange beer. A lambic? I don't think so, so it's a bit hard to review for the style. A drinkable beer nonetheless, probably good for christmas parties.

Pours orange and straw-colored in a pilsner glass. Good off-white head that soon vanished.

Smells at first like a hefeweiss--cloves, corriander, and other spices. Lots of plastic too. Then the cranberry, syrupy sweetness hits. It's not like cough syrup, at least, but still strange.

Tastes like canned cranberry pie filling would be like--a kind of dry sugaryness like those sweettart candies. Turns into a plastic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is carbonated, medium, very sticky.

I could drink a few of these, probably ok with dessert, but not a session. Definitely don't want a hangover from them!

11-16-2005 02:01:28 | More by fromage
Tim460

3.3/5  rDev +23.6%

Pours a golden reddish hue with small white head that quickly dissapears to a very small lacing. Smells smells like cranberries. Tastes tart and sweet, not so much as a regular lambic but much more so than their cherry wheat offering. Finishes dry. I actually enjoyed this beer but the two offered in the holiday pack is plenty enough for one sitting due to its sweetness.

11-15-2005 23:01:40 | More by Tim460
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.18/5  rDev +19.1%

Poured a a pink to dirty brown head that dropped off in nuthin' flat.
Good lacing though. Body is a hazy/dirty brown in appearance.

Smell: A lot going on in this glass sour smells, vanilla notes, and hints of oak.

Taste: Sour, tart and dry through out. Sourness doesn't really make me think of the lambics I tried over in belgium, I will give them a little leeway for "american styling".

Mouthfeel: Pricklyfeel throughout , but carbonation level is fine for the style. Fairly balanced

This effort has thirst quinching aspect to it, that makes me think it would be good with a turkey sandwhich, otherwise I will pass on this.

11-14-2005 04:34:46 | More by russpowell
danielharper

2.78/5  rDev +4.1%

Purchased from Target in Jones Valley, Huntsville, AL.

Bought as part of the Sam Adams Winter 12-pack. Decided to start with the one with the lowest reputation.

The beer pours into a pilsener glass with a dingry orange body and a cirtually nonexistent head. I know this is a fruit/vegetable beer rather than a true lambic, but I expected a little bit more of a reddish tinge to the brew. Doesn't really set the stage very well.

Aroma is pretty neutral, so I'm giving it a 3. Hints of fruit (obviously) along with a strong dose of carbonation, but that's about it. No hops in the nose, no alcohol in the aroma, no hint of yeast. Just a strange hint of cranberries. Nothing good, nothing bad. Bland.

Strangely for the taste, it's very similar. I get a bit of the yeasty flavors here to let me know it's beer that I'm drinking, but for the most part I really just taste the cranberries, very weakly protesting against being placed in this beer in the first place. Tastes like really watered down cranberry juice. Mild astringent aftertaste, largely due to the fruit, I suppose -- this beer is best taken in large gulps. Not much of a flavor at all.

Mouthfeel is reasonably decent, fairly thick with a bit of carbonation to keep things interesting.

Overall, I don't much care for this beer. It's not bad (I'll drink the second one in the six-pack) but I don't really enjoy it. It doesn't even taste like beer to me. Might be a good beer to give to those people in your life who only drink alcopops. Not a true lambic by any means.

11-13-2005 23:30:12 | More by danielharper
Stimack

3.15/5  rDev +18%

Brew pours to a cloudy orange color with a fair sized tan head that has pretty good retention and does leave some lacing around the sides of the glass. The aroma is mostly of cranberry with a sweet smell. The taste is ok, slight sour taste mixed with the cranberry flavors. Hop flavor is there but seems to be somewhat hard to pick up. Finishes with a tart taste that lingers in the mouth. Over all this is a ok brew, would say it is my least favorite in the 12 pack winter sampler but am not offended that it is there.

11-13-2005 23:00:15 | More by Stimack
OStrungT

3.33/5  rDev +24.7%

This beer pours cloudy brownish orange with a very thin white head. The head fades quickly leaving a very slight lacing. The appearance is not what I would expect from a lambic. It has a strong cranberry aroma. It smells very sweet. It has a very slight spicy aroma. I can detect a slight hop aroma also. This beer has a slightly sour taste. It is not nearly as cranberry like as I would expect. It has a spicy taste to it. A little brown sugar. This beer is carbonated well. It leaves a slight cranberry aftertaste. This beer might not be a good session beer because it is quite sweet. I am happy to have had the chance to try this beer, but it is not exactly the beer I look forward to in the Holiday pack.

11-11-2005 02:35:48 | More by OStrungT
metallistout

3.48/5  rDev +30.3%

pours a light orange-copper color with a fizzy cherry 7-up like head.

Smells of cranberry, cherry, celary(spelling?), and spice.

Very sweet and malty in taste, very little hops, slightly dry with a caramel taste. My first lambic, and it tastes pretty much like I thought it would taste like (a chick drink) good idea, but not so much for my tastes. I can't do without out a good malt and strong hops.

If you like fruit flavored beer, this is pretty good. It kind of tastes like Petes Wicked Strawberry Blonde, although Pete's has a little more malt flavor.

11-11-2005 00:01:04 | More by metallistout
aquatonex

2.35/5  rDev -12%

Well, like the other reviewers, I must agree on the lack of style for the cranberry 'lambic'. Although it is rated low for style, it is a very drinkable and refreshing beer. So, please do try it, just don't go looking for a lambic. As a fruit beer alone, it's quite good.

Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a short head, some lacing. Smell is very fruity, I'll say cranberries enough. Taste is a good balance of sweet and tart, with cranberry flavors and a light yeasty maltiness. It is not syrupy and heavy like a lambic. But, it's definitely a good fruit beer.

11-06-2005 02:59:42 | More by aquatonex
rowew

Colorado

3.03/5  rDev +13.5%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck from the holiday sampler. Best by date notched on the label.

Appearance: Poured into a Chimay goblet. Pours a very cloudy reddish orange color with a decent head that fades to leave just a bit of lacing on the top.

Smell: Smells like a wheat beer at the start - just a hint of banana and cloves. Then you notice a bit more fruitiness than usual, and a slight tart aroma.

Taste: Tastes like a fruity wheat beer - I didn't detect any lambic sourness. Taste is typical wheat beer profile with a bit more fruit sweetness in the middle.

Overall impression: Not a bad beer, but not a lambic. Call this a cranberry wheat and it would be much more accurate. Either way, something slightly different, but this is probably my least favorite of the holiday sampler.

11-01-2005 20:10:11 | More by rowew
PBRstreetgang

1.73/5  rDev -35.2%

While not a lambic in the traditional sense, the Boston beer company makes a good attempt to mimic the appropriate sour and phenolic flavors produced by belgian wild yeasts and bacteria. Therfore, my review is based on characteristics associated with the lambic style.

Pours a hazy reddish orange with clear straw highlights. Muddied clarity, but light in color. One finger head that fizzles out leaving modest lacing. Medicine and plastic aroma, with some cranberry notes. The flavor is most unbalanced, strong cranberry flavor and wheat tannins that turn cloying quickly and overpower any hint of malt or hops. Light body and active carbonation help wash away the harsh aftertaste, but the finish is dominated by phenols and tart cranberry. Blended lambics will show an obvious fruit influence, but are not be consumed by it. This beer replaces wheat and malt flavors totally with an acidic bite and poor mouthfeel. This would not score much higher as a fruit/vegetable beer either.

10-29-2005 05:30:41 | More by PBRstreetgang
beersarang

1.88/5  rDev -29.6%

Pours a nice cranberry color with a foamy white head. Big head belgian style.

Moldy aroma, not lambic, but bad yeasty.

Cranberries upfront, huge tartness and an overall unpleasant finish. Not much like any other lambic I've had before. Sounded like a good idea at first, but I was not impressed.

Medium bodied, too carbonated though.

I wouldn't drink this again... but it was nice to try it.

10-27-2005 06:26:12 | More by beersarang
Fugazme

Nebraska

1.95/5  rDev -27%

The only thing I smell is rubber. It completely turned me off from this beer. I generally enjoy the Samuel Adams beers... not this one. The look of this beer was the most impressive part... but that only confuses as the aroma takes over and disentegrates any hope of drinking a good beer.
I've always said that Sam Adams is hit or miss... they have good beers that make me feel at home, but some you just need to steer away from. This would be one of the latter.

08-04-2005 07:24:55 | More by Fugazme
arguemaniac

3.38/5  rDev +26.6%

Appearance: A nice orange-amber color. A thin white head which quickly turns into a sustaining white lace. Mildly cloudy.

Aroma: The aroma is strongly dominated by a fruity sweetness (I could even detect this the second I popped the cap). The scent of cranberries and some spices too, but even this is somewhat eclipsed by that citrusy yeast aroma that is commonly associated with wheat beers (specifically hefeweizens).

Taste and Mouthfeel: The fruity sweet tastes are most noticeable (overpowering even), and then there are those citrusy yeast flavors. The cranberry flavor comes through as too, but is most notable in the finish. There is some bitterness to this beer, but I must admit, I’m having trouble determining whether that’s from hop flavor or the fruity tartness of the cranberry. What ever it does, its not enough to balance the maltiness of this brew. The mouthfeel is easy-going with light carbonation.

Besides being a little too sweet, this isn’t actually too bad. While is reasonably drinkable I doubt it would make a very good session beer: I can’t imagine getting through more than two of these given how sweet it is. But, it’s worth a try, especially if you like fruit beers. Recommended.

04-01-2005 07:06:14 | More by arguemaniac
kegerator

3.73/5  rDev +39.7%

Nver been a big fan of Sam Adams beers. This is probably one of the bestI have had yet from them. Pours out a nice orage/copper color thats hazy with a decent 1/2 inch head that dissipates moderately.
Smell was slight citrus and grains, nothign special. taste was overwhelmingly surprising. I really enjoyed the flavor. Nice cranberry tartness with a sweet backdrop that balances it very nicely. It was quite thin in the mouth though but overall i found it tasty and enjoyable.

03-28-2005 18:25:52 | More by kegerator
ybnorml

Rhode Island

2.78/5  rDev +4.1%

A clean light orange beer. Has a small off white head that dissapears quickly. The aroma is tart and yeasty with a hint of clove in the background. The taste is at first sweet then sour. I didn't get any cranberry? The lightness of flavor made me feel I should be drinking this in the warm weather. So why is it packaged for winter holiday sales?

03-09-2005 23:28:01 | More by ybnorml
deejaydan

3.43/5  rDev +28.5%

Pours a very clear yellow/orange color. Decent head retention. Aroma is grainy. I would expect more cranberry aroma out of this. As a fruit beer, the taste isn't bad, tartness is there, but very litte fruit flavor.. not a lambic, by a long shot. Mouthfeel is okay. This is a non-offensive drinkable beer.

02-23-2005 00:49:25 | More by deejaydan
clvand0

Kentucky

3.68/5  rDev +37.8%

This one pours a slightly orange color with a small head that sticks around a while, but doesn't leave any lacing on the sides of the glass. Seems more of a fruit beer than a lambic. The aroma was sweet and fruity with just a touch of tartness. There are some fruity esters in the flavor in the form of cranberry and something else similar. Slightly creamy and has a moderate mouthfeel. This definatlely isn't a lambic, but it's an enjoyable fruit beer. Very slight tartness, but just barely there. Drinkability is good. As a lambic, this sucks big time, but as just a fruit beer, it's pretty decent.

02-14-2005 18:38:19 | More by clvand0
blitheringidiot

3.45/5  rDev +29.2%

Clear benign hfiltered friendly orange hued pour with sporadic bubbles beads rising offing and on to the surface.

Mixed wild flower Earthy bouquet.

First swigs: Lemon flavored hard candy sour flavor meets some Pez candy notes and a touch of a milky flavor finds its way into the mouth melee mix, somehow. Reminds me of old fashioned homemade lemonade that uses the actual lemon.

Thin bodied foamy carbonation, but I could be convinced to have another and will definitely try this BBC beer again if it happens to cross my path again, like this bottle did at a Christmas party.

Last swigs: Sort of a lambic, sort of not a lambic. Interesting creative styles beyond the standard ale or lager are really intriguing me lately. This tweaked an eyebrow.

02-12-2005 19:00:17 | More by blitheringidiot
karst

Missouri

3.68/5  rDev +37.8%

BBC's Seasonal Cranberry "Lambic" is sublabled “Wheat Beer brewed with cranberry juice and other natural flavors” , actually it seems to be just a fruit beer. .

Dull orange hue, slight chill haze clearing at end as glass warms. A single finger of off white foam forms and diminishes to a ring and a little lace on my tulip glasswith a white lace. Little patches of lace also linger above beads of C02. A nice level of carbonation about right for a fruit beer.

Aroma was fruity with just a faint cranberry tartness. Maltiness is larger part of its aroma, athough not over done.

Taste: Almost ciderlike and just creamy with a medium light body. Tartness is from cranberry and other fruitiness (esters). Mellow sweet malt graininess but I wonder if hops are too mild and leave it slightly out of balance-but not too bad. Weaker finishes with mostly tartness and cranberrys and with just the briefest malt "goodbye". Its drinkability is not high.

I gather it varys a little from year to year- judging from previous year's reviews '02 & '03.

Maybe they were afraid a winey tasting, wild yeast beer with an oak aged dryness would not have broad enough acceptance. This would have been my 1st Lambic but it is doubtful if it is much of a true lambic.

01-28-2005 21:19:36 | More by karst
waughbrew

2.35/5  rDev -12%

This is just not a very good beer. No way around it.

Light gold with orangish hues, medium creamy head doesn't last long or lace. Smell is cranberry concentrate (whether they use it or not) like their cranberry wheat. It just doesn't meld with the slight sourness and the metallic hop. Flavor is a cheap, sugar-sweetened flanders red with wussy malt, hop, and sourness with an acidity and slight metal feel in the finish. Thin slick body. This really needs to lose the sweetness and the crappy cranberry flavor. This is not very interesting or flavorful. A flaw in Sam Adam's otherwise impressive line of beers.

I really don't understand who they are brewing this for if the beer geeks don't like it. Of course it isn't a lambic, but it is not a good beer either. And why include it in the winter pack? Because it's cranberry season? This would be more of a warm-weather beer for me if I liked it. As you can see, this one just boggles my mind.

01-19-2005 02:55:31 | More by waughbrew
apintofknowledge

3.2/5  rDev +19.9%

So, my Sam Adams Holiday Sampler has been long gone, with the bottles of Sam Light and Cranberry Lambic left behind. It’s been about two years since I’ve tried this one, and since my beer supply is running low (for shame!) I decide to give this one another try…

The beer poured an orange-pinkish-coppery hue with a wispy white head. The aroma… yes, I can smell the cranberry along with the sweet malt. The taste… hmmm… not as bad as I remember. Some tartness and sweetness at once… not sweet like one of those Ocean Spray drinks, but a sweetness of malt to compliment the tart fruity cranberry. I even taste a little sour yeast… yes, I know this isn’t a true lambic, but that character is there.

After about half a glass, the syrupy feel begins to bother me a bit. The flavor is still good, but that syrupy feel would keep me from having the second bottle right now. A somewhat enjoyable diversion, but definitely not something to drink all night.

01-15-2005 02:46:36 | More by apintofknowledge
ken3c

3.78/5  rDev +41.6%

Thin layer of foam recedes to isolated islands. Lacing is slight but evident. Very clear light amber.

Spicy hop aroma and slightly fruity. Maybe I'll get used to the hops but it doesn't seem right in this style.

Taste is quite tart with cranberries throughout. The spicy hops are well in the backround with a slight sense of sweetness. I love cranberries but it doesn't taste like a lambic.

Mouthfeel is medium carbonation and light body.

I really like this beer because of the cranberries. If it was called a cranberry lager, I'm sure it would score higher.

01-09-2005 23:19:19 | More by ken3c
JackStraw22

1.98/5  rDev -25.8%

The lambic had a slightly hazy golden/amber appearance. There was a moderate white head with little retention. The aroma was nice, sweet, lots of cranberry obviously. Not sure if I'm just not used to lambics, but this is the only beer I've ever had that really made me cringe when I tasted it. It didn't taste nearly as sweet as it smelled. I'm not really sure how to describe the overriding taste, maybe I"ll edit this once I can figure it out. I probably won't be spending too much time drinking this, though.

01-07-2005 02:44:47 | More by JackStraw22
beveragecaptain

12 ounce bottle. Pours out a slightly hazy orange. I expected more of a reddish color from the cranberries. But then again, I also expected a lambic, which this is certainly not. Weak head retention. Sweet maple syrup aroma with wheat and a hint of berries. Starts out sugary sweet, but this sweetness is followed by a tartness that prevents it from becoming cloying. There is a fruitiness that could, I suppose, be cranberries, but it is not clear. Average mouthfeel. This beer could almost be refreshing, were it not for a somewhat syrupy consistency. Overall, reminds me a lot of their cherry wheat, minus the nasty flavor.

01-06-2005 06:56:37 | More by beveragecaptain
Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)