Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cranberry LambicSamuel Adams Cranberry Lambic

poor

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2001)
View: Beers (129) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic Alström Bros
67cuda

Colorado

4.22/5  rDev +58.1%

Pours a reddish-brown color with a 1 finger head... Doesn't taste much like cranberry, and since I dislike cranberry, I think thats a good thing. I really was expecting that I wouldn't like this beer, since it said "cranberry" on it, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's pretty sweet, and I liked that change.. I haven't had much experience with this beer style, but I like this beer a lot... Its kind of syrupy in your mouth, but not overly so, somewhat of a tart aftertaste... quite interesting. I could certainly (gladly!) drink this beer again.

12-23-2004 18:11:25 | More by 67cuda
arizcards

Arizona

2.8/5  rDev +4.9%

Part of a Costco holiday sampler case that I picked up for 18.99.

Nice looking orange tinted beer that pouted a nice head and is leaving a lacing down my glass. Nose is of belgian yeast and maple syrup-a rather interesting combonation. The taste starts off fine with the belgian yeast strains prevelan at the beginning but there is an overpowering sweet cranberry/maple finish. It has a decent mouthfeel to it, reasonably full but somewhat flat on the palate. Overall drinkability is not good. One is definitely enough for a sitting.

12-23-2004 01:04:02 | More by arizcards
FormatKid

Tennessee

3.55/5  rDev +33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz single from the Sam Adam’s Holiday Sampler. From what I’ve heard of this one I know not to expect a real lambic. Hey..I like beer, I’ll give anything a try. The body of this beer is perfectly translucent and copper colored. The head is small and rapidly fades to a wispy white layer on top. The nose is primarily grainy malt with maybe a tiny, tiny must sprinkling, I can pick up on a sweet fruit flavor, not the tangy cranberry I was expecting but more of a sweet currant aroma. The flavor is a little different than what I was expecting as well, the same grainy malt from the nose is here though. The middle is a weird mish-mash of a slight syrupy sweetness, tart fruitiness, and a flash of mild bitterness. Not bad though, just a little different than what I was expecting I do pick up a faint mustiness or at least some kind of nice little yeast character as opposed to just a clean fermenting yeast. This one is worth trying, make your own decision on it before you pass it up because of what you hear.

12-23-2004 00:53:04 | More by FormatKid
sabrills70

3.05/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a orange brown color with a 1 finger head - good lace. Smells of a wheat malt - a typical tart smell. No cranberry detected. Immediate taste of syrupy sweet tart malt with cranberry flavors coming through. Mouthfeel is a bit too syrupy but it does have a nice berry tart aftertaste it offsets the syrupy taste rather quickly and finishes nice. This is a nice seasonal brew and not one I could drink a bunch of but will probably look forward to it yearly.

12-19-2004 00:00:34 | More by sabrills70
tweeder263

2.65/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured out a dark amber with MINIMAL head.Smells grainy malty no cranberry smell though.Taste is malty,fruity nothing of cranberry though does have a lil sweet taste of syrup as stated in ingredients.Not totally bad as others have said.I wouldnt go out of my way to but it but its better than BMC.

12-17-2004 00:46:12 | More by tweeder263
beertaster13

Washington

2.63/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a reddish orange hue with an off white head. The smell is of corn, honey and cherries and melons. The taste was nothing of cranberries, more of an apple and watermelon with cherries, a liquid malt was present but was overpowered with the fruit tone. A beer that I think you have to get an aquired taste for, some will like it some won't, can't imagine drinking more than 1 of these.

12-14-2004 01:54:49 | More by beertaster13
brewQ

Missouri

I'll admit to not having high expectations. Most fruit beers I've tried are too syrupy or just strangely flavored. Still, I love cranberries.

From the pour, I had a flashback to an old product called Champale! Pink to orange hue on fine bubbles that quickly go flat.

Mildly astringent flavor that lasts through the big finish, which is somewhat metallic.

Just can't think of when I'd want to drink several of these.

I might have been happier if I could taste the cranberry and maple syrup promised on the package.

12-12-2004 06:59:45 | More by brewQ
GreenWBush

Oregon

2.63/5  rDev -1.5%

Ahh, the often lambasted "lambic" from Sam Adams. I hated it a few years back but either my palate has become more tolerant or they improved it. I think its a little of both.

Orangey copper with ample head and lace. Aromas are dominated by a husky wheat aroma and oddly Quadrupel-esque phenols. I don't really get any specific fruit flavors, let alone cranberry, yet the label claims that Oregon grown cranberries are used. Something akin to that crappy cherry-pie filling your friend's mom used to make.

Not as bad as its made out to be ... but still not great. I had major trouble finishing a 12-ozer.

12-11-2004 20:34:08 | More by GreenWBush
allengarvin

2.7/5  rDev +1.1%

12-oz bottle, from a holiday pack.

Appearance: Clear amber-gold color, fine frothy head with small bubbles streaming up through the beer.

Aroma: Grainy sweet malt aroma. Only a very slight fruity aroma.

Flavor: Sweet malt up front, with some nice actual cranberry flavor. Slight tartness almost keeps it from being cloying. Almost but not quite. Finish is long.

Body: Good body, with typical carbonation.

I don't like cranberries, and I'm trying to be objective about it, but I just don't think this is a very good beer. I don't think this beer is as sweet as it used to be. I remember it being totally cloying the last time I had it. But it's still too sweet for me.

12-10-2004 03:08:01 | More by allengarvin
orbitalr0x

2.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Well...here it goes. Pours a golden amber with a thin layer of head and only the slightest hint of red. For a cranberry brew I thought this was going to be much darker and deeper red...quite odd. The nose is an odd phenolic clove-ish smell...where are the cranberries?? I think they left them all on the label! A bit of wheaty grain aroma there as well.

First sip is upfront with a sour mellow cranberry flavor..mixed in with some cloves, a bit of earthy barnyard and a light honey sweetness. Overall it's boring and uninspiring. I was expecting a good deal of cranberry flavor from both the name and the label, but this just falls flat on its face.

Mouthfeel is not bad with a nice creaminess and medium body. Goes down easily enough. Drinkability is basically zilch. I'm glad I tried it, but nothing is making me want another. If you know someone who's been naughty this year, then this is the perfect gift.

12-07-2004 01:56:01 | More by orbitalr0x
Sycodrummer

3.1/5  rDev +16.1%

Had this as part of the Sam Winter Brew Mixed pack. At first did not think i would enjoy this because i dislike some other kinds of fruit beers but this was not too bad. Certainly nothing exceptional, but not a bad offering in the mixed pack.

My biggest complain would be the after taste. The innitial mouthfeel is very good but the after taste leaves something to be dessired. It would have been nice if it had a bit more tart finish.

Not a bad beer to enjoy, but nothing special.

12-06-2004 02:41:42 | More by Sycodrummer
granger10

Wisconsin

3.03/5  rDev +13.5%

The last of my beers from the Winter Sampler pack. This was the worst of the seasonals but all of them were so good. This beer poured a cranberryish color with a medium light head. Smell is really fruity with mostly a sweetness to it. Taste begins with that sweetness that is bordering on cloying and eventually gets a little too sticky for my liking. There's a tart cranberry aspect in the middle that helps take away somewhat from the sweetness. The body is a bit light, but the fruits seem juicy and flavorful. Finish is a little dry and sticky once again. This is no lambic, and obviously they shouldn't be claiming it is, but still its not terrible either. I wonder if its ratings would be higher if lambic were stricken from the name.

12-06-2004 02:37:10 | More by granger10
diamonddave

3.58/5  rDev +34.1%

Got a couple bottles for $0.00 from a little place called My Mom's Fridge. (She bought a couple Sam Adams samplers and didn't want the Cranberry Lambics.)

Minimal head, minimal lacing. Dark orange color. Smells tart and yeasty, but not overwhelming.

Starts with a tart/sour bite then finishes a bit sweeter. Bit of malt throughout. Tastes like sour fruits, but oddly not that much like cranberries.

This is, overall, very... nice. Pleasant. Not at all overpowering. Really, there's not much to say other than it tastes fine. This would probably be a useful tool for converting someone from "malt beverages" to "real" beer.

I don't think they should have called it a lambic, though, because 1. anyone who doesn't know what a lambic is will be put off by the term, and 2. anyone who does know what a lambic is will turn up their nose and go "pffft."

I wouldn't go out of my way to get more of these, but if someone gives me more, I'll drink 'em.

12-05-2004 20:27:48 | More by diamonddave
Ave

Iowa

2.83/5  rDev +6%

Serving is a 12oz bottle & a lambic glass. A hearty head of tiny bubbles forms quickly but soon losses its oomphf & settles out to a thin layer of larger bubbles that disappears almost entirely once the drinking starts. The color is of a slightly pinkish amber, or maybe a mostly amber pink, not sure which. The aroma is delicate floral & citrus extract. Not like zest or pollen, but something simulated to be such. Not unpleasant, but not entirely convincing either. There is certainly nothing to be found here along the lines of a true Belgian lambic funk. Upon tasting I immediately think of this as being thought of as a “lambic for the common beer drinking American” by the folks at Adams. The flavor is very inoffensive & easy going, sweet but not (too) syrupy, very fizzy in the mouth & just the slightest tartness at the end. Nothing unpleasant, but also nothing challenging or even close to a true lambic style. I hope that more people who have never had a lambic try this & get interested, than people who have had a true lambic try it & get pissed off.

12-05-2004 05:49:01 | More by Ave
Gagnonsux

I definently find this to be a beer for cranberry lovers, for the rest of us it's a little too strong in the berry department. Appearance is hazy orange, with weak dishwater head. Smell is strongly of cranberry, aroma is more like juice than beer. Taste is also very full of cranberry flavor. The finish is particularly "juicy". Some tartness keeps the flavor from being too sweet. I don't like this much, but I don't find it to be terrible. If you really like fruit beers or cranberry give this a whirl. However, if you're like me, you'll have to find someone else to pawn off the rest of your Cranberry Lambics. Thank goodness I saved the Boston Lager to wash this down.

12-05-2004 02:23:29 | More by Gagnonsux
mynie

Indiana

3.4/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This doesn't much look like cranberries. I was hoping for a fizzy red ale that looked like blood or something cool like that. This is just completely average amber with a nice head.

Doesn't smell much like cranberries, either. It smells like corn. Actually, more accurately, it smells like Rolling Rock.

*sips*

Well, that's a new flavor! Grain and corn upfront, cranberry tartness and a strange medicine oil in the back. Kind of nice, in an odd way. A rich, sweet taste that will probably get tiring after a while.

People speak of this beer as if it were HIV in a glass. That is not the case. It's different--sure as hell not a "lambic," at least as I'm familiar with the term--and if you don't like the tart bitterness of cranberries you'll probably hate it, but if drinking a bottle of Rolling Rock mixed with Ocean Spray has ever seemed like a good idea then this is the beer for you!

Hold up...Now that I've drank some more I've actually developed a taste for the stuff (kind of like what I did with Dimetype only not quite as tasty). This is actually a pretty good beer.

12-02-2004 02:57:16 | More by mynie
hero27

1.93/5  rDev -27.7%

Appearance: Pours a light brownish-orange color...thought it would be more red considering the "Cranberry" character of the brew. Lace is minimal and you'd miss the head if you blink after you pour it.

Smell: Doesn't smell like a lambic...aroma of cloves, sickly sweet cranberry, and other things i don't particularly find appealing..and it turned out i was right as soon as i tasted it..

Taste: Too sweet...too many spices..ugh. Cranberry "Lambic"? Lambic? laughable.. I typically don't even mind fruit beers for the most part...and i don't mind cranberries at all..but this thing just tastes gross.

Mouthfeel: Decent enough mouthfeel...medium bodied with a relatively clean, smooth finish...still can't get rid of the aftertaste, though.

Drinkability: ok, i'm just going to be brutally honest here..this beer isn't good. Got a few bottles in the holiday sampler and I had to drink them...but under protest. Sam Adams is such a great company...how can they actually produce junk like this? ...so disappointing. Anyways, drinkability is the only quality that isn't terrible because i suppose you could drink a few of these in succession if you were forced to.

12-01-2004 07:38:58 | More by hero27
soper2000

2.85/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ahh, the beast sits before me. I picked up the winter seasonal pack today and decided to start off with this infamous brew. Pours a ruby color with a small white head which quickly fades leaving only a lacing. I'm still struggling with the aroma on this one. I think I smell some grain, like a wheat but there is a scent which is throwing me off. Taste has some similarities of a hefe with an ever so slight hint of crannberries. I get no lambic qualities from this. But it's also not as awful as I was expecting. In any case I don't believe that I'll be dying to try this one again, although I will finish the other bottle left in the fridge.

11-30-2004 22:54:48 | More by soper2000
xgrigorix

2.17/5  rDev -18.7%

Twelve ounce brown bottle. Best by month notched on label.

Glowing medium amber, with a dense white head.

Vaguely cranberry-esque aroma with some cereal sort of notes. Not inspiring.

Tastes vaguely of dilluted cranberry juice. Just barely able to make out the hint of maple syrup. Sticky sweet from start to finish. Light bodied, moderate carbonation. Vile abomination.

11-29-2004 18:11:20 | More by xgrigorix
KoG

Nevada

3.7/5  rDev +38.6%

From all the jokes about this beer, I figured it would be horrible. Got 4 bottles of it in the Winter Classics 24 pack(4 each: Boston Lager, Old Fezziwig, Sam Light, Cran. Lambic, Winter Lager, and the new Holiday Porter), at $19 I couldn't pass it up.

Looks similar to Sam's Boston Lager but with a fizzy head that goes away and leaves no lacing to speak of.

Smells like a lager, but sweeter. Not a bad smell but not something great either.

Taste was actually not as horrid as expected. Not cloyingly sweet, but as a "Fruit/Vegetable Beer" it's not too bad. I prefer the Quelque Chose to this though. Has a semi-metallic aftertaste.

Mouth was decent. Leaves a bit dry and sour(slightly Lambic...).

Overall, this wasn't too bad and I could drink without too many problems, but I think it would fit better in the summer. Not something I'd buy on it's own(comes in the holiday pack and thats alright) but an interesting beer to try.

11-28-2004 08:04:58 | More by KoG
DPMomutant

Missouri

3.4/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A light-colored beer with a nice, reddish hue. The head is small and short lasting, but does stick around.

Smell is of cranberries, but not overpowering. There's something else here too. Something sweet but I can't place it, maybe bits of other fruits. Actually not bad compared to some fruit beers I've had.

The taste is fruity but not purely cranberry. A little sour, a little sweet. Weirdly decent. Some spices I can compare to some Wits I've had.

This beer has low carbonation with a watery consistency but is easy going down.

I would have to say this is pretty drinkable as it goes down easy and it is not too strong in either taste (good or bad) or alcohol.

I've had a few of these in the past and was expecting to not be too nice to it, but it has grown on me a little. Not enough mind you to run out and buy all the holiday packs but it isn't too bad. As far as being a Lambic, I don't know as I have not really versed myself in the style, but this is as good as any fruit beer I've had.

11-28-2004 07:44:51 | More by DPMomutant
mobyfann

2.68/5  rDev +0.4%

Paid only $10.99 for the "Winter Classics Holiday 12 pack"

The beer pours a light amber colored base with a small white head with little-to-no retention and no lacing at all, what a bummer. The smell is simply cranberry meets alcohol, pretty 2-dimensional.

The taste is what I expected from the smell a lot of cranberry flavored beer. The mouthfeel is s a little smooth and that's about it. It's drinakable if you like cranberries, but I don't really...

Final Thought: I'll stick with a handful of Craisins and get some fruit in my system over this beer... I do not approve of this...

11-28-2004 07:14:18 | More by mobyfann
Tballz420

3.33/5  rDev +24.7%

This brew is a deep golden color, with a small white head. The scent has some characteristics of a hefe, namely the yeast. The taste has light malts, with a touch of cranberry, hefe yeast. Slightly acidic. I had this one 2 years ago, and they have toned down the overpowering cranberry ( im not too fond of cranberrys to begin with). I remember hating this beer last time I had it, and I will say they have definately taken steps to improve this beer. Still not my favorite, but an A for effort.

11-23-2004 19:13:48 | More by Tballz420
niknar

Tennessee

2.15/5  rDev -19.5%

Bottle arrived as part of the Winter Classics 12 pack I purchased last week. Freshness marked for consumption by February.

Pourse out a pale orange with a smallish white head that quickly settles to a thin collar. Minor lacing, but not great. Aroma is of bready yeast and fruit (presumably cranberries). Nothing distasteful, but nothing outstanding here either. Taste is another story... strong cranberry, high carbonation, and finishes sour. Thin body and the distinct sour aftertaste of the cranberries make this offering slightly unpleasant to drink. I'm normally a huge fan of Samuel Adams brews, but this one is not something I'd recommend... to anyone. Overall, its too thin, too sour, and not very drinkable. Not recommended.

11-22-2004 01:26:04 | More by niknar
feloniousmonk

2.15/5  rDev -19.5%

I have not had this beer in at least a decade or so, honestly, and I remember the consensus back then was that it was so terrible, that I've steered clear ever since. Got some in the latest holiday sample package, so, goody me, may as well get a review out of it.
Clear, pale apricot/brandy color, like a faded cherry, under a slim white head.
Aroma: musty and yeasty, slightly sour, then comes the cherry, creamy, soft, a little off, but not unpleasant.
Taste: kind of dull. A bit flat. I'll keep giving it a chance, though, gonna finish this thing...it's weird, though. The cherry essence is but an echo in the flavor, and there's little real presence on the palate. An old bottle, or this really how this beer is supposed to be?
Huh!
Ridiculous of them to call it "lambic", but even as a "wheat beer brewed with cranberry juice and other natural flavors", this is, at best, a dud. Doesn't taste as bad as I remember from way back when, but it's still very disappointing. Lackluster taste, minimal texture/mouthfeel, forgettable finish. Feels like lightly cherry-dusted damp cardboard.
No wonder they dumped this in the sample pack, can't imagine they move too many pallets of these.

11-21-2004 10:46:32 | More by feloniousmonk
Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)