Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cranberry LambicSamuel Adams Cranberry Lambic

poor

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2001)
View: Beers (127) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic Alström Bros
mickeymac

2.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a promising reddish-orange with a pillowy white head. The smell is fruity, with only the slightest (emphasizing slightest) tart smell one would expect from a lambic. This tastes like nothing more than a fruit ale: not a terrible fruit ale, but nothing more. This is about as tart as an English Brown Ale. On the positive side, it's easy to drink for a "lambic."

10-19-2003 01:08:34 | More by mickeymac
beerguy101

3.35/5  rDev +25.5%

Medium gold color, medium head. Slightly fruit aroma. OK.. Its not really a lambic, but it's a medium bodied fruit beer. Slightly tart, and somewhat sweet, slightly malty. There is a little of that sweet/sour taste thing going on here. Nice drinking beer, cranberry flavor is a little light, but its drinkable . Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter, some sweetness in aftertaste.

09-19-2003 02:22:28 | More by beerguy101
Ahhdball

2.3/5  rDev -13.9%

This wasn't what I expected and didn't care for it. Poured a decent amber hue with very little head. The Lambic had a fruit smell but almost fake, kind of like an air freshener. Taste was not enjoyable, too light too fruity with emphasis on fruity. Candy-like. I like most of Jim's beers so this was a big disappointment. I actually feel bad that I'm grading so poorly.

07-29-2003 16:31:24 | More by Ahhdball
euskera

2.3/5  rDev -13.9%

This is a lambic for those who don't know lambic. It tasted more like a malternative that one of those delightful concoctions from Belgium. Taste was astringent and mediciney, just not appealing at all. Took about 3 sips and poured the rest down the drain. Even my wife (who loves the lambics) couldn't get past the taste.

07-09-2003 11:45:29 | More by euskera
Stubbie1

Connecticut

2.75/5  rDev +3%

This beer pours a thin mahogany color. It gave off a nice thick tight head and left a long sticky lace on the glass. The aroma seemed a bit artificial to me. If anything, it reminded me of rotten cranberries. There were hints of malt mixed in the aroma but the berries overpowered it. The taste improved the rating a bit. The taste was of cranberries. It had a bitter finish. I did detect a slight hint of malt also in the taste. It was crisp and left a clean taste in the mouth. I don’t think I could drink many of these. I feel the aroma would get to me along with a berry burnout

06-29-2003 18:29:17 | More by Stubbie1
powoo19

3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

Got it in the Sams gift pack...Not bad..The smell is pleasent with the fruity hit over the wheat smells. The color is a orange or reddish color, very appealing..The taste isnt bad but not a session beer. The cranberry flavor is a bit too sour and the aftertaste isn't anything special. I like it because its Sams but I wouldn't pound it.

05-17-2003 07:35:56 | More by powoo19
aaronh

3.05/5  rDev +14.2%

This beer is a hazy orange amber and develops a moderate white head. The aroma is a little yeasty, with noticeble grain notes. It is also a very strong aroma. The taste has a nice wheat crispness to it, but then the sour cranberry juice flavors kick in. This is essentially a fruit flavored whear beer. A bit of a sweet and sour lingering aftertaste as well. Some bitterness on the finish. The mouthfeel is a bit thin and somewhat astringent, but it is a little refreshing. The carbonation seems to blend well with the body. The drinkability suffers a bit, mainly because of the puckering cranberry sourness. I would not call this a lambic style beer. As I mentioned above, it is seems more a fruit flavored wheat ale. Only had one, and that was enough.

05-03-2003 08:02:48 | More by aaronh
fattyre

Georgia

2.42/5  rDev -9.4%

To start with I will point out what has been state before about this concoction. IT IS NOT A LAMBIC. I seems to be a fruit wheat or something but whatever it is-it ain't no lambic.
This beer pours a hazy medium golden red with a smallish white head. The mouthfeel is moderate and round- maybe the best part of the beer. The smell is sour with a suprisingly faint cranberry. The taste is of cranberry skins- sharp and sour with a sweet fruity finish. Once again this is not a lambic but a decent at best fruit wheat beer.

05-01-2003 19:17:47 | More by fattyre
garymuchow

3.08/5  rDev +15.4%

I sampled this two times. Fortunately I drank the second before writing a reveiw. The first sample would have been scored quite a bit higher. I'm not sure what I was drinking or thinking.
Both were fairly attractive beers. Slightly cloudy, nice orangish/reddish color, foamy head that thins but shows some lacing. And I still don't mind the aroma. Fruity mix of sweet and sour, with minimal cranberry. The flavor though was not as pleasant. It has similar qualities as aroma with the fruitiness containing both sweet and sour, but there was a awful soapiness in the flavor and the mouthfeel that was really unappealing. That really took away from any positive aspects. Some fluffiness to the mouthfeel. After the first bottle I would have recommended it, after the second, no way.

04-06-2003 19:42:38 | More by garymuchow
GeoffRizzo

2.38/5  rDev -10.9%

From the Sam Adams Winter Classic 12 Pack.
Pours a cloudy orange with a very thin, dull head. Aroma is perfumy and of bubble gum, very sweet and pleasant. Initial taste is of bitter cranberry and maybe a tinge of apple peel. The strong, overpowering unbalanced blend of cranberries is almost offensive. The finish is creamy and bitter, a very bad aftertaste. A real struggle to finish a simple glass of this stuff, I am hoping the company finds a replacement for next year's pack and ditches the recipe for this.

03-28-2003 19:21:29 | More by GeoffRizzo
Running4beer

2.48/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Got this with the winter celebration pack, thankfully there were only 2 of these in the pack I don't think I could have had anymore. Poured a hazy amber with little head that disappears to a spots of lace here and there. Not to the aroma it was sweet and fruity. Tasted hints of cranberry, little malts and hops lots of fruit flavors though, too much. Mouthfeel was tart and crisp. This is just a celebration ale one or two is good for me once a year.

03-28-2003 10:48:46 | More by Running4beer
Rifrafboy

2.85/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours dark amber with a nice head. lacing abounds. Smell is sweet and fruity. Taste is full and heavy, being almost too sweet for my taste. Decent maltiness, hops are readily tasted. Overall, this is a special occasion type beer, and not a session brew. This was a bit to sweet and overdone for my taste.

03-25-2003 15:35:25 | More by Rifrafboy
stegmakk

2.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Peachy golden color with fuzzy head that dissapates quickly.
Aroma of sweet almost too ripe fruit.
The flavor was a bit thrown together. Some malt, hops, cranberry sweetness, and thought it had a bit ow alcohol warmth as it went down.
Good for my wife, indifferent for me.

02-09-2003 18:32:12 | More by stegmakk
Redrover

2.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz brown bottle, with freshness date on the side of the label.

This beer pours a nice dark amber with shades of red. There is a big head, but is dissipates quickly. Only a small amount stays for the whole beer. No real lacing.

The smell is clean, probably to clean for a lambic. Some nice whiffs of cranberry, very inoffensive smell..

Too much sweetness and no dryness. After a few sips the sweetens turns very sour. The cranberry taste is not strong enough and some of that fruit's tartness would help! Carbonation was decent with nice small bubbles. I could not get past how sour this beer quickly became. The sournes is my overriding impression of the beer. I’m not sure it is a real lambic and if it is, it’s not a good one. Beers can be sour and still within style and still taste good. This one is not!

I have had this beer in the past I remember it as much better. Perhaps they have changed their recipe or I had a bad couple of bottles.

01-31-2003 10:38:08 | More by Redrover
cbl2

3.6/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I drank this one at the last Jets game (they beat the Colts 41-0), so bear with my lack of detail:

Appearance: Golden with a splash of red (imagined?).

Smell: sharp and bitter, bursting with berry; reminiscent of a Berliner weisse.

Taste: Tart and sweet, reminiscent of Mort Subite, though not quite as good, but still, considering it is Sam Adams I must say I’m impressed.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: I'm not a huge fruit beer fan, hence the slightly lower numbers here, but I must say this one is worth checking out. I wouldn't buy a six pack of this, but it was a nice addition to this years winter pack.

01-29-2003 15:58:10 | More by cbl2
Bunnyhop

Georgia

1.98/5  rDev -25.8%

I would not truly consider this beer a lambic. The color is a medium golden red, slightly hazy, with a smallish white head. There is a faint smell of cranberry, along with butter, and a slight maple scent. The first thing I taste is a sweet-and-sourness, followed by a very flowery cranberry taste, along with a buttery maple flavor, and a sour perfume finish. In my mouth it had a moderate round feel. I do not like this beer, to me it had an odd unnatural mix of flavors and was too perfumy. The first time I tried this I did not finish it and dumped the last 3oz. (approximately). I disliked it enough that I didn't even bother to finish my tasting sample. I have moderately enjoyed some of this brewery's other beers, and I do enjoy other cranberry seletions; needless to say my dissappointment was somewhat unexpected. (Although, it is frustrating that the only way, it seems, to get some of Boston Beer Company's beers is to buy their sampler pack and take the good with the bad but, that's a different story altogether. As a side note, I did not let this frustration color my review of this beer, I truly did not care for it.)

(source: ABC Baymeadows, Jacksonville, FL)

01-25-2003 09:41:09 | More by Bunnyhop
WilliamPhilaPa

2.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a hazy peach / amber color. The head is foams up quickly but dies quickly as well. On the nose, the aroma of cranberries. On the palate there is a decent sweetness, some citrus hints, decent malt flavors, and an ever slight bitterness / tartness but not like other Lambics I’ve tasted though. This beer gets worse as it warms up also. If you are into fruity type beers this one may be good for you, but you’ll probably have to drink it very cold, but why even bother with it.

01-13-2003 06:34:49 | More by WilliamPhilaPa
Todd

Colorado

2.2/5  rDev -17.6%

12oz brown bottle, with freshness date on the side of the label. Beer was poured into a proper lambic glass.

This beer pours a very hazy peach / amber coloured beer, that initially foams up to a decent head, but quickly falls to a whispy lace with sticking tracks as it settles. I'm assuming that cranberries (even the juice) would give this beer more of a red hue, but it's not there.

Aroma has none of the expected funk that you'd find in a true lambic beer. There's plenty of artificial smelling cranberry juice though, along side of a sturdy sweetish malt aroma. I swear I can also pick of some caramel (diacetyl ?), too. What's that doing in this beer?

In the flavour, we get a heavy dose of sweetness, but none of the off-setting dryness found in Belgian lambics. The caramel is out of place, creating a sense of unbalance on the palate and it tends to dominate over the cranberry. And, as the cranberry addition is from juice (and additional flavours), the defining character of this beer, or what should be, is a very one-dimensional, barely tart, cranberry "cocktail" out of the can like flavour. Flash of citric lime-like bitterness races across the palate (pretending to contain our missing dryness) with a prickly carbonation and touch of mineral / salt. Finish is grain dry with citric flavours lingering in the nooks and crannies.

If you're going to call your beer a "lambic" at least make a true attempt to create a lambic. This is nothing more than a fruit beer, an unbalanced one and a very misleading beer.

01-12-2003 16:07:23 | More by Todd
chilidog

3.73/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I didn't know what to expect from thisone. What I found was an ok "tis-the season" brew, like one or two per-year is just right. The smell was fruity of berry. It poured burnt orange with a higher carbon head than most out of BBC. The taste was very fruity & tart. The cranberry stood-out in its taste & mouthfeel.

01-12-2003 03:07:09 | More by chilidog
OldFrothingSlosh

2.85/5  rDev +6.7%

I was expecting more from this beer. Add the fact that I really don't care for cranberries, and it bodes ill for the review.

Poured a deep and dark burnt orange color with a head that disappeared in an instant. The aroma was that of something souring in the trash can. The sour aroma carried right on into the sour flavor. Mouthfeel was poor...I just didn't care for it. I could probably stomach only one of these at a time. Perhaps the wife might like it. It's closer to a wine cooler taste than beer. I'll pass on this offering from the winter sampler pack.

01-10-2003 16:09:37 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
kwill

2.33/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours well with a half inch head that does not disappear immediately. The color is a nice cloudy amber that makes me think of a good wheat beer. Unfortunately this is the best part about the beer.

The smell is like sweet, over-ripe fruit. The taste is initially good, but the aftertaste kicks in very quickly and leaves a hint of bitterness and a flavor of fruit that has gone bad.

I generally enjoy fruit beers, and I enjoy all Sam Adams beers (except the Utopias and Light) so I am quite disappointed that I have to give this beer such a low score. Overall I am glad that this beer only comes out once a year so that it is not taking up shelf space of other, more deserving beers.

01-09-2003 18:57:50 | More by kwill
AtrumAnimus

4.93/5  rDev +84.6%

Lambic & Sam Adam's - I am a huge fan of the Boston Beer Company, But I was a bit hesitant to try this one. I am glad I did. This is an exceptionally good and very drinkable beer. The hops and the cranberry flavors combine to make a wonderful experience for the palate. The nose on this beer is exceptional as well. If you can find this - buy it and drink it. This is not your typical Lambic (Or chick beer as some call it). The exotic flavors that come pouring forth are to numerous to list and surprisingly the Cranberry is the least of them. Boston Beer company is very good at their hop blends. They have a knack that few can master. And here is a fine example of that mastery of hops with a fruit blend that is just fantastic Sam Adam's has achieved something special here.

01-02-2003 08:18:11 | More by AtrumAnimus
psugrad98

2.65/5  rDev -0.7%

First of all, I really don't like cranberries. Keep that in mind. Light reddish with burnt orange hues. Light lace and slightly fizzy carbonation. Bittersweet cranberry flavors predominate with fizzy on the tounge brew. Slight malty afterflavor. Not bad, but not great either. Its not even a lambic. The nerve!! Try a Frambioise for a true taste of a good fruit lambic.

01-02-2003 07:37:56 | More by psugrad98
Brent

Kentucky

2.53/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The obligatory rant about this beer: it is not a lambic, it is a fruit beer. Sammy should just call it what it is. Call it a lambic and folks expect something special. Call it a fruit beer, and folks hope for something drinkable. Sammy did not really pull off either with this beer. Closest to a light wheat - quite tart, but there really is very little cranberry to add zest. I was expecting BIG cranberry notes - drink this as a side to dry turkey type cranberry notes. Here, the cranberry was sort of an echo, like they held a can of cranberry sauce over the wort and said "wort, meet cranberry. Cranberry, meet wort" and that was as close as they got.

It came in the holiday mix pack. That is about all you can say for this weak effort.

12-29-2002 22:09:34 | More by Brent
guinness33

1.15/5  rDev -56.9%

hadn't had one in years (as i hated it so), but you can't avoid em when you want the old fezziwig, so i decide to revisit it. it pours a brownish orange and the fruity smell is instantly overbearing. it's not as fruity in taste as i remember it though, and that was thanks to the 'touch of' (what an understatement!) maple syrup. a different type of brew? yes. a good one? no way.

12-27-2002 17:31:56 | More by guinness33
Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)