Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cranberry LambicSamuel Adams Cranberry Lambic

poor

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic Alström Bros
1.65/5  rDev -38%

This is a truely offensive brew! I hate to even classify this as beer. As another BA noted, its almost a malternative. Pours a fizzy orange color with a big head and tons of carbonation. The smell is very fruity, but you can smell the belgian yeast in there, so that gave me a little hope. Upon first taste, this hope was dashed. It is disgustingly sweet and leaves a similar aftertaste in your mouth to Robatussin. I refused to finish the entire bottle. It started to get a bit better as it got warmer, but then it went downhill again. Don't waste your money on this stuff. Its awful.

2.3/5  rDev -13.5%

Bottles states, "Our version of a traditional Belgian lambic is brewed with native American cranberries, a unique top-fermenting yeast, and a touch of maple syrup." What's up with SA and maple syrup? God, I hate maple.

Appearance: This beer was a glowing amber-orange with some hints of red. It was very hazy with a white, one-finger head that rose up on the pour and disappeared quickly. Soon, there was nothing left of it but a thin ring of bubbles around the inside of the glass.

Smell: The cranberries came through in the smell more as just generic berries than they did specifically as cranberries. This was good for me, seeing that I am not overly fond of cranberries. Also on the aroma were sweet and roasted malt, vanilla, a light tartness, and a lot of butter. Overall, the aroma of the fruit is subdued, which I wasn't expecting. Before I took a drink of this beer, I really enjoyed the aroma. After I started to drink it, though, the buttery component became too strong and really detracted from the nose.

Mouthfeel: This one had a fairly thin body with a very lively, carbonated feel to it. It was kind of buttery and coating as well.

Taste: Once again, not what I was expecting. From the second this beer hit my mouth, there was a battle between the flavor of the berries (still not really coming through precisely as cranberries) and a strong diacetyl component. These two flavors continued to mill about as a strong tartness kicked in on the finish. Nothing changed on the aftertaste either; just a continuation of butterscotch and berries.

Well, I'm glad that I tried this one, but I don't think I will have it again anytime soon. As an attempt at a lambic, this brew fails miserably. Even as just a generic fruit beer, it's not very good.

At least none of the maple flavor came through . . .

2.35/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Smells like sweet, clear, essence-of-cranberry-sauce, complete with sugar and orange peel. Like a new cough-syrup flavor from hell.

Darn near malternative if you ask me. I guess every brand has to have one for the soda pop drinkers. Fizzy, pink/copper colored and sweet/tart like a sour cherry frozen pop, slushie, slurpie thing.

2.3/5  rDev -13.5%

it looks good, a hazy red-orange with an off white head.

smell is o.k. smells like a fruit beer and a belguim ale. it smells tart, breathe in too deep and you'll cough.

first taste is not that good but it does get a little better. alot of carbonation and bite on the toungue. sweet and tarty. i'm probably wrong but something just tastes artificial in it. i thought the same of their cherry wheat. if they could tone down the cranberries abit i think it would be a good summer brew. not that good but i'm glad i tried it. they put in a valiant effort.

2.55/5  rDev -4.1%

Orange-red hazy pour with a strong head
Sour and berry aromas
Cranberry flavor, sweet and tart. It's not a compilcated beer - I can't even taste the wheat.
Not horrible since I only get 2 bottles a year.

I'd rate it higher as a wheat beer, but the label promises lambic, so I'm judging it against lambics.
I also had this on tap, it was slightly better in all areas, especially appearance (BBC brewery tour)

3.3/5  rDev +24.1%

Pours rose-colored with shades of light orange. Thin head with large bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass. Big cranberry aroma. Not artificial or sweet cranberry, but more of a fresh, real cranberry smell. Taste is sufficiently tart, but the somewhat one-dimensional. Nothing really special here. The nice smell doesn't really follow through to the taste. It's a relatively good, interesting beer, but it doens't come close to some of the great fruit lambics.

2.63/5  rDev -1.1%

This was ok. Nothing spectacular about it. I have had lambics in the past, and this is nothing like the ones I have had. It was much weaker in taste, but not sweetness. It was more of a sweetwater with a cranberry hint. No real hops, but some malts. Really creamy and smooth. Not one of my favs, but worth a try.

3.43/5  rDev +28.9%

Pours a clear bright coppery/orange. Small cream colored head. Lacy and fizzy. Smells spicy and sweet. I detect wheat malt, orange peel, coriander and cloves.

Taste is sour. Bites a bit up front but soon turns sweet. I like the tart finish that helps to balance the sweetness. I don't taste the maple syrup but the mouthfeel is sticky sweet. Light bodied and mildly refreshing.

I don't like fruit beers as a rule but this one isn't bad. I actually look forward to having this once a year in the seasonal pack. This is NOT a lambic and please don't judge other lambics from this one. It is a solid American fruit wheat beer for what it's worth. As much as I slam fruit beers, I can't slam this one. Pretty good.

3.23/5  rDev +21.4%

pale hazy orangy color with a fairly decent white head. bannana, bannana, bannana in the aroma with a slight hint of some tartness. wasn't expecting this - thick mouthfeel, almost chewy kinda like drinking liquid unmalted wheat. has a tartness and some acidic notes (maybe from cranberry), can't pick up any maple though. I have to call this an american hefe with fruit beer and is far from being a lambic style beer. still it's an ok beer, been wanting to try this for sometime - i think it's a good thing they only release in the winter classics pack.

2.63/5  rDev -1.1%

(Samuel Adams "Winter Classics" pack, 2003)

Sam's Cranberry "Lambic" seems to be the bane of many a Beer Advocate's existence, and it is easy to see why. I haven't sampled a true lambic yet, but even I know that this certainly is not of the style. This is simply a regular ol' fruit beer, and a pretty average one at that.

This pours a slightly hazy apple cider like color (slightly brown, slightly gold). A one finger light tan foam head forms and vanishes within a minute. The smell is purely of cranberries, and carries a slight roughness to it as well. The mouthfeel is thin and slightly watery, although there is fizz here. Flavor is almost entirely cranberry. No wheat flavors or maple syrup that the label said were in here. The cranberry flavor tastes like a Luden's cherry cough drop, having a fake overdone sweetness to it. The "roughness," or slight mustiness from the smell is here in the flavor as well. I could only describe it as if they added a bottle of cranberry juice that has been sitting on the grocery store shelf for too long. There are some very light grainy notes underneath that, and the hop presence is near non-existant. This brew is a little to sweet and has only a bit of cranberry tartness. The aftertaste continues with the cranberries, and this finishes out with no alcoholic warmth.

I found this to be somewhat drinkable, but it was very average. I can fully understand all the bad things said about this beer. This is nearing sickly sweet for me, and the flavor didn't taste all that fresh. A very one-dimensional beer. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is slightly better when it comes to BBC's fruit beers.

1.08/5  rDev -59.4%

Presentation: A 12 ounce bottle used as a malicious psychic weapon in a recent trade, with whom I thought was a great friend and confident, my fellow So.Cal BA xlperro. I can only imagine that like Sam Adams, he hates the Brits. And to think we were mates, his Homebrewed Mild kicked Ass as well. Damn.

Described as a Wheat Beer brewed with Cranberry Juice and other “natural” flavors. Duh! Hey presumably someone actually includes a lambic in there somewhere, or are lambics adjuncts???

Appearance: I kept opening and closing the door. But unfortunately it still appeared in my fridge and never disappeared. It had to go. No longer could I stand that smug looking twat with the girlie over the ears hair-do and the raised mug in his left hand. Pours with a copper colored body clear. The head is so ashamed to be associated with this offering that it immediately breaks into a lumpy scum offering.

Nose: Sickly sweet over concentrated pulped Cranberries – like Jam (or is that Jelly?). Condensed and waaayyyy too sweet.

Taste: What’s it like?? A flat old Hoegaarden mixed with Ralph’s economy Cranberry Juice. As my mate bennybrew would say “sweeeettt”.

Mouthfeel: Just like having a mouthful of Cranberry extract, oh, that’s what it is. Never mind.

Drinkability: I finished it, in the name of research and the fact that I needed to be punished today for some ill doings (I left the hole-punched paper in the Photocopier at work). The sink was begging for it though.

Overall: A physical assault on the senses. I would rather have a large current passed through my testicles, my toenails individually plucked whilst at the same time being forced to listen to Vanilla Ice and made to watch re-runs of Survivor - *rather* than drink this “beer” ever again. Simply Awful. I hesitate to even call this a “beer”; it’s more like an anemic Alco-pop.

So if you get a Kia Saturn – and stick an Aston Martin badge on it – does it make it a Sports Car?? Do ya think anyone will notice??

I won’t even dare to start my monosyllabic rambling rant about the use of the word "lambic"……If I could eradicate one beer and it was a choice between any of the Bud-Miller-Coors brand and this – I’m afraid this Sammies would get it, both barrels, at least the macros can say they bring some pleasure to millions of people!!

Like a lame horse – it begs to be put out of its misery.
Shoot this f**ker if you see it.

2.7/5  rDev +1.5%

Wow, beautiful color. A very hazy carmel brown. Smells sweet, not like cranberries, to my nose. Tastes like chemicals and plastic. Not a very good beer, if this is a lambic, then I reject the genre. Way too sweet, needs some deeper flavor. Tastes like a malternative.

2.7/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a promising reddish-orange with a pillowy white head. The smell is fruity, with only the slightest (emphasizing slightest) tart smell one would expect from a lambic. This tastes like nothing more than a fruit ale: not a terrible fruit ale, but nothing more. This is about as tart as an English Brown Ale. On the positive side, it's easy to drink for a "lambic."

3.35/5  rDev +25.9%

Medium gold color, medium head. Slightly fruit aroma. OK.. Its not really a lambic, but it's a medium bodied fruit beer. Slightly tart, and somewhat sweet, slightly malty. There is a little of that sweet/sour taste thing going on here. Nice drinking beer, cranberry flavor is a little light, but its drinkable . Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter, some sweetness in aftertaste.

2.3/5  rDev -13.5%

This wasn't what I expected and didn't care for it. Poured a decent amber hue with very little head. The Lambic had a fruit smell but almost fake, kind of like an air freshener. Taste was not enjoyable, too light too fruity with emphasis on fruity. Candy-like. I like most of Jim's beers so this was a big disappointment. I actually feel bad that I'm grading so poorly.

2.3/5  rDev -13.5%

This is a lambic for those who don't know lambic. It tasted more like a malternative that one of those delightful concoctions from Belgium. Taste was astringent and mediciney, just not appealing at all. Took about 3 sips and poured the rest down the drain. Even my wife (who loves the lambics) couldn't get past the taste.

2.75/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer pours a thin mahogany color. It gave off a nice thick tight head and left a long sticky lace on the glass. The aroma seemed a bit artificial to me. If anything, it reminded me of rotten cranberries. There were hints of malt mixed in the aroma but the berries overpowered it. The taste improved the rating a bit. The taste was of cranberries. It had a bitter finish. I did detect a slight hint of malt also in the taste. It was crisp and left a clean taste in the mouth. I don’t think I could drink many of these. I feel the aroma would get to me along with a berry burnout

3.25/5  rDev +22.2%

Got it in the Sams gift pack...Not bad..The smell is pleasent with the fruity hit over the wheat smells. The color is a orange or reddish color, very appealing..The taste isnt bad but not a session beer. The cranberry flavor is a bit too sour and the aftertaste isn't anything special. I like it because its Sams but I wouldn't pound it.

3.05/5  rDev +14.7%

This beer is a hazy orange amber and develops a moderate white head. The aroma is a little yeasty, with noticeble grain notes. It is also a very strong aroma. The taste has a nice wheat crispness to it, but then the sour cranberry juice flavors kick in. This is essentially a fruit flavored whear beer. A bit of a sweet and sour lingering aftertaste as well. Some bitterness on the finish. The mouthfeel is a bit thin and somewhat astringent, but it is a little refreshing. The carbonation seems to blend well with the body. The drinkability suffers a bit, mainly because of the puckering cranberry sourness. I would not call this a lambic style beer. As I mentioned above, it is seems more a fruit flavored wheat ale. Only had one, and that was enough.

2.42/5  rDev -9%

To start with I will point out what has been state before about this concoction. IT IS NOT A LAMBIC. I seems to be a fruit wheat or something but whatever it is-it ain't no lambic.
This beer pours a hazy medium golden red with a smallish white head. The mouthfeel is moderate and round- maybe the best part of the beer. The smell is sour with a suprisingly faint cranberry. The taste is of cranberry skins- sharp and sour with a sweet fruity finish. Once again this is not a lambic but a decent at best fruit wheat beer.

3.08/5  rDev +15.8%

I sampled this two times. Fortunately I drank the second before writing a reveiw. The first sample would have been scored quite a bit higher. I'm not sure what I was drinking or thinking.
Both were fairly attractive beers. Slightly cloudy, nice orangish/reddish color, foamy head that thins but shows some lacing. And I still don't mind the aroma. Fruity mix of sweet and sour, with minimal cranberry. The flavor though was not as pleasant. It has similar qualities as aroma with the fruitiness containing both sweet and sour, but there was a awful soapiness in the flavor and the mouthfeel that was really unappealing. That really took away from any positive aspects. Some fluffiness to the mouthfeel. After the first bottle I would have recommended it, after the second, no way.

2.38/5  rDev -10.5%

From the Sam Adams Winter Classic 12 Pack.
Pours a cloudy orange with a very thin, dull head. Aroma is perfumy and of bubble gum, very sweet and pleasant. Initial taste is of bitter cranberry and maybe a tinge of apple peel. The strong, overpowering unbalanced blend of cranberries is almost offensive. The finish is creamy and bitter, a very bad aftertaste. A real struggle to finish a simple glass of this stuff, I am hoping the company finds a replacement for next year's pack and ditches the recipe for this.

2.48/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Got this with the winter celebration pack, thankfully there were only 2 of these in the pack I don't think I could have had anymore. Poured a hazy amber with little head that disappears to a spots of lace here and there. Not to the aroma it was sweet and fruity. Tasted hints of cranberry, little malts and hops lots of fruit flavors though, too much. Mouthfeel was tart and crisp. This is just a celebration ale one or two is good for me once a year.

2.85/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours dark amber with a nice head. lacing abounds. Smell is sweet and fruity. Taste is full and heavy, being almost too sweet for my taste. Decent maltiness, hops are readily tasted. Overall, this is a special occasion type beer, and not a session brew. This was a bit to sweet and overdone for my taste.

2.9/5  rDev +9%

Peachy golden color with fuzzy head that dissapates quickly.
Aroma of sweet almost too ripe fruit.
The flavor was a bit thrown together. Some malt, hops, cranberry sweetness, and thought it had a bit ow alcohol warmth as it went down.
Good for my wife, indifferent for me.

Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)