2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cranberry LambicSamuel Adams Cranberry Lambic

poor

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,293 | Reviews: 837 | Show All Ratings:
Knapp85

2.83/5  rDev +5.6%

First time I ha this beer I found it to be cometely undrinkable. I had a few sips and dumped it out. I was given another bottle as a gift some time later and gave it another try. This time It was much better. The red color was always attractive to me but the idea of cranberry isn't for me. I've never been a fan of them so naturally this brew wouldn't please me. For this who enjoy cranberry do try this, you'll probably enjoy it.

03-24-2011 02:45:35 | More by Knapp85
richkrull

Wisconsin

2.53/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured a cloudy reddish orange color with quite a bit of quickly dissipating mostly white head. Smells malty and grainy. Taste is not too impressive. Definitely taste the wheat though with a bit of a dry aftertaste from the cranberry coming through. Very bubbly feel. Not too drinkable in my mind. Probably would get sick of this after a couple.

03-11-2011 23:36:44 | More by richkrull
KajII

3.08/5  rDev +14.9%

[Best served in a Flute Glass]

Poured a murky light red in color with a small fizzy head that was mostly diminishing with fair lacing. The aroma was that of bready malts and cranberries and well as a light scent of spice. It tasted sweet and acidic with a heavy cranberry wine like flavor. Mouthfeel was a little watery in texture with a light to medium body. Overall a nice flavored brew.

03-10-2011 16:54:37 | More by KajII
BeerLover99

2.4/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: pink amber bubbly body, zero head and zero lacing.

S: big cranberry, citrus

T: sweet cranberry and citrus up front, long sour finish

M: med/light body, big carbonation, sticky

D: Can barely finish one, not a huge fan of the style, but Lambics I have had from Belgium are definitely my favs.

03-07-2011 22:34:28 | More by BeerLover99
WVRadar

West Virginia

4.35/5  rDev +62.3%

A: Cloudy Amber/Orange with hints of red. 1 inch head diminishes rapidly, excellent lacing.

S: Didn't really smell like cranberries, seemed to be more like citrus to me.

T: Pleasant tart taste without bitterness.

M: Creamy, with noticeable carbonation.

D: I really liked this beer, and couldn't wait for another.

03-06-2011 15:51:12 | More by WVRadar
JohnnyChicago

4.1/5  rDev +53%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Champagne flute. Bottle is a couple of years old.

A: Ruby with a huge fluffy white head. There's some sediment floating around in it.

S: Smell is very complex: cranberry and figs, breadiness and a bit of funk.

T: Taste follows the smell nicely! The breadiness is big here, making it complex and tasty.

D: Alcohol is completely hidden and flavour is interesting. I could easily have a few of these.

Overall: This is one of the best Boston Beer offerings. Its not a lambic, but it shines out in its difficult category. Its a polarizing brew, you either love it or hate it. I love it.

02-23-2011 16:59:48 | More by JohnnyChicago
aasher

Indiana

3.18/5  rDev +18.7%

I was surprised to see this one on the Bottom 100 too. It pours a very cloudy and murky cranberry red in color with an off white head that has a light pink tint to it. The aromas are pretty subdued. It smells of light sour cranberries with some light wheat/yeast accents. The flavors though are really bland. I'd say this is like the cranberry version of Blue Moon. It disappoints. It drinks fine, has decent body and is smooth enough. If I had to drink this again I wouldn't mind too much but I'd never buy it again. I had to try it because it's a Sam Adams "lambic" and I wanted to see what it was about.

02-20-2011 16:50:32 | More by aasher
DrewKid4

New Hampshire

3.08/5  rDev +14.9%

This is my first lambic review so I may not touch on the important things about this style.

A: Pours a very thick/cloudy red-amber with a small white head that fizzles out. Some noticeable carbonation and decent lacing.

S: Smells like all things sour and citrus. I mean sour

T: Slight cranberry, but this taste isn't the only one. More complex than expected. Sour fruits.

M: Bite early from cranberry, but smooths out with typical Belgian wheat style. Super sour but this goes with the lambic style.

D: Rather complex from Sam Adams and more accurate to the proclaimed style than Sam Adams usually does. Not one I'd drink more than one of....a week.

Edit: Now that I've read the posts from more pro beer advocates, I guess my talk of it being close to the styles are inaccurate but I will keep the scores the same.

02-02-2011 05:39:25 | More by DrewKid4
TheKingofWichita

1.63/5  rDev -39.2%

Sampled at Sexual Chocolate 2011
Pours a hazy reddish purple color with a thick white head and a little lacing. Smells of some malts and very slight cranberries. Tastes of vague cranberries, malts, and some wheat. Drinkability is poor. Its quite nasty.

01-31-2011 18:20:32 | More by TheKingofWichita
LarryMac

4.25/5  rDev +58.6%

Honestly the best Sam Adams has to offer, in my opinion.

The color, smell and texture all suit it well. It's a bit tart at first, but hey - it's cranberry! Although I'm not typically a fan of "fruity" beers, they pull this one off without completely overwhelming the beer with the cranberry; they actually complement each other. The tartness of it is short lived, it goes down smooth and has just a hint of that cranberry aftertaste without getting stuck in your mouth.

Although I wish they'd offer it at more than the holiday season, it is definitely a good way to ring them in.

01-23-2011 19:22:32 | More by LarryMac
Bouleboubier

3.45/5  rDev +28.7%

Huh. Not what I expected - didn't expect a straight up lambic, no. That's too much work and patience for Boston Beer, yeah? Tell ya what I think ("drinkability", to me, connotates an overall impression of something). (pause) This is alright. A cranberry tainted, dirty Witbier. So there...

A pretty lackluster head of one that is born partly of wheat. Poor retention. Thick and murky does it show - doesn't quite describe it - kind of scary pondering whether to swill it. Infected? A pinkish, persimmon color.

Smells like a lame Hoegaarden. Spritz of cranberry and...diacetyl?! Some moldy, wheaty funk wafting about and I'm not digging it.

The taste is interesting, hmmm. NOT a lambic, but NOT bad - the cranberry is not at all tart. Tart - low, in general. Wheat and maple rise in the way back. Very grainy and brany (not "brainy", ha). Sweetness, lingering.

Flows smooth and nectary - almost. No sour tang. Drinks decidedly like a Wit. Light carb wash.

Overall, I must say, I enjoyed this - as much as I wanted to vilify it for its false labeling. Interesting - for what it is. I'll gladly drink it some other time.

01-23-2011 00:09:21 | More by Bouleboubier
secondtooth

Indiana

3.85/5  rDev +43.7%

A hazy red-amber, with huge foamy head.

Scent is yeast and berries. Appealing, and certainly a style I'm not accustomed to.

Taste is tart up front, with a smooth and subtle spice in the finish. I like it.

Another fine and enjoyable brew from Samuel Adams. I need to explore the Belgian lambics now.

01-12-2011 20:44:58 | More by secondtooth
chefhatt

3.53/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this beer into a Samuel Adams perfect pint glass. The body is nice light reddish color with 2" of nice white head on top. The smell is light and fruity, not much else. It's taste is smooth and a little sweet of cranberries, there is no hop or malt taste, that i can taste. It has a nice smooth mouth feel and i think is nice and drinkable.

01-10-2011 02:40:10 | More by chefhatt
nukem5

3.38/5  rDev +26.1%

A: Pours a bit thin and very little head, Slightly reddish orange and unfiltered look(Not a problem) looks like someone put a shot of OJ and cranberry in a wheat beer.

S: Smell is pleasant and light berry tartness rises to the nose. Smells almost remenicent of a strawberry wheat.

T: Tart and sweet at the same time like the cranberry itself, very little hops or malt presence.

M: A bit on the watery thin side very litely carbed. No lacing at all. No off flavors.

D:Not what I would label or call a lambic as far as pour taste ect., go but not a bad beer either. could drink a few of these and consider them refreshing, taste would be great on a very hot summer day maybe but as far as a winter brew maybe not .

01-02-2011 00:06:35 | More by nukem5
ryantaussig

2.6/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Not a great head, but the color seems appropriate. Nice reddish color.

S: Not much depth. Just the cranberries come through.

T: Slight bitterness and sweetness from the cranberries. No malt or hoppiness at all.

M: A bit thin for the style.

Notes: Clearly not a lambic.

12-27-2010 04:32:07 | More by ryantaussig
Phelps

Arizona

Another beer received from neorunner in the Blind Beers BIF. As such, it was reviewed completely blind and poured from a bottle with a best before date of April into a pint glass. I make no apologies for my taste buds.

This one pours a murky red-orange, the color of tarnished copper. It's got a very unfiltered look to it, reminding me of mulled cider. A fuzzy one-finger head of rosy tan dissipate quickly, leaving behind fat webs of lace along the sides of the glass.

In the nose: sweet canned peach syrup, lemon rind, grapefruit juice, rose petals, coriander and honey.

The flavor follows the nose perfectly, which is a good thing. Lots of wheat, pears, bananas and a nice floral character mix about in the middle, while an interesting smokiness swoops in for just a second at the finish. Honey and some tangy cherries and cranberries linger between sips.

The carbonation on this one is medium-high and fairly painful, attacking the tongue and fizzing up quite a bit as it moves about. The body is a soft, velvety medium and what alcohol is here is hidden behind all the flavor.

I'm distraught. I'm not supposed to like this beer. I'm supposed to join the BA masses in my hatred for it, laughing with distaste at Boston Beer Co. for even having the nerve to put this on the shelves. But I can't, because I DO like it. The name lambic is an obvious misnomer, but that doesn't detract from the beer itself, which I find rather tasty.

I feel like I should join a support group. My name is Phelps, and I like Cranberry Lambic.

12-25-2010 08:20:03 | More by Phelps
TheSupremeAJ

1.45/5  rDev -45.9%

12oz bottlefrom Abe's of Bethlehem, PA. Poured into tulip.

A- Poured nice. Rose tinged copper color.

S- Smells like wheat, clay, and a hint of cranberries. Very metallic.

T- Taste like Sam Adam's typical wheat crap. It taste like they just added a little bit of cranberry juice to some weak wheat ale.

M- OK mouthfeel. It just taste so bad I can't concentrate on the mouthfeel.

D- It taste like crap so I give it a 1.

12-20-2010 04:33:34 | More by TheSupremeAJ
JizackFH

2.4/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A - This beer pours a deep red-amber color. It has a small off-white head that dissipates quickly. The head leaves decent lacing on the glass.

S - The smell is very tart. There is a lot of cranberry here. I am also getting notes of wheat, maple, and grass.

T - Very tart, with a lot of cranberries up front. There is also some earthiness to it, and some notes of cherries. The aftertaste is a bit sour.

M - It has a medium body with high carbonation. It coats the mouth well, and has a sour feel to it.

D - The drinkability is not too good. I'm just not a big fan of this beer. There is just nothing about it that is really good. I do not recommend.

12-19-2010 20:03:30 | More by JizackFH
nrbw23

1.15/5  rDev -57.1%

A- Pours a cloudy reddish color with pretty much no head just a few bubbles. Head leaves a bit of lacing.

S- Smell is very very sweet and has an artifical cranberry smell to it. Not digging this at all.

T- Very sweet and cranberries everywhere and dominant this one.

M- Medium in body and a bit on the lighter side of medium.

D- I don't like cranberries at all and I don't like this beer. Stared at a couple of these in the fridge for way to long.

12-17-2010 22:14:41 | More by nrbw23
chodinheaven

Maryland

2.78/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Looks good, cloudy orangeish red color, light red head.

S: Fruity, definitely cranberry, scary though b/c it doesent smell like a beer I normally like

T: Suspicians confirmed. Too fruity and not in a good way. First lambic I've tried, may not be trying too many more after this. Hefeweizen finish that I'm only a fan of in the summer and when the brew is balanced out by other flavors. Too much cranberry, not much else except an odd mouthfeel

M: Odd, creamy almost. No bite to it.

D: Wouldn't be happy about a whole six pack of these. Glad I only bought two. Carbonation level OK though for what it is.

12-17-2010 05:42:00 | More by chodinheaven
mikeg67

3.2/5  rDev +19.4%

12 oz. Bottle. Pours hazy orange with foamy, redish head. Aroma of cranberry, yeast, brown sugar and some hints of banana. Medium sweet body. Flavor of cranberries, brown sugar, with some yeasty notes. Finish is long and sweet. Good thirst quencher. Should be good with desserts too.

12-08-2010 21:06:00 | More by mikeg67
TheDTrain

Wisconsin

3.63/5  rDev +35.4%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

I had my doubts about Sam Adams making a Cranberry Lambic. It was better than I was expecting. Pours a dirty ruby red color with foam everywhere. The nose was a lacking but had nice hints of cranberry, sugar, and fruits. Taste is a blend of tart cranberry, wheat, carbonation, and sweet and sour. Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic is decent, but no Lakefront Rosie.

12-08-2010 02:57:23 | More by TheDTrain
devilben02

2.68/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I received a few bottles of this one as a "gift" from my dad who had been "aging" them in the back of his beer fridge for about 2 years I believe. Needless to say, he isn't a fan and finally felt the need to pass them off onto someone else. Never one to turn down free beer, I gladly took them off his hands. Honestly, I don't understand the hate for this beer. It isn't great, but it isn't undrinkable swill either.

The first impression is fine enough, with a nearly opaque amber color that shows only a tinge of red. The medium-thick creamy beige head likewise only has a faintest pink glow. The berry flavor comes out in the aroma, though, with a berry jam kind of character that is a little tart as well as a bit artificial. The flavor has a little bit of a toffee malt and faintly wheat-like base that cuts into the mildly sweet/tart jelly fruitiness. The body is solid, with a light but present carbonation.

Overall, this one drinks like a light amber/wheat ale that has some mildly sour berry flavoring added in, just like the label promises. In this regard, I would say that it is to the beer world what that canned cranberry sauce is to Thanksgiving dinner. It isn't as good as fresh, whole-berry cranberry relish, but I'm still going to scoop some onto my plate if it's the available option.

12-07-2010 15:44:46 | More by devilben02
Homebrew35

Connecticut

3.43/5  rDev +28%

Reddish maroon body on a vigorous pour yields a small white head. This dissipates to a few bubbles around the edges. Smells slightly sweet, slight bit of earthiness. Tastes sweet to tart and back to sweet fruitiness. Creamy medium body mouthfeel. I could only handle two of these in a sitting. I'll probably try this again next year.

11-30-2010 15:37:29 | More by Homebrew35
vette2006c5r

3.78/5  rDev +41%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a cloudy redish color, with a small head, that didnt last very long. It had a sweet cranberry like smell to it. THe taste is sweet, with a bitter aftertaste from the cranberry. Easy to drink, low carbonation; not really a lambic. Overall I enjoyed this beer, if you didnt like cranberry, you wouldnt like this at all.

11-25-2010 19:03:25 | More by vette2006c5r
Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)