Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cranberry LambicSamuel Adams Cranberry Lambic

poor

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2001)
View: Beers (129) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic Alström Bros
cnally

Indiana

2.83/5  rDev +6%

Cran-Lambic. Sounds like an Ocean Spray product.

The coloring is a reddish tan, clear and see-through. A foamy head rests on the glass and laces on the way down.

The scent is very yeasty and smells rusty. Grainy and no hint of the cranberry element.

A very slight hop flavor in this one, we are dealing with a yeast flavor. The initial fruity flavor is very subtle and in the background. The aftertaste of the fruit element is very lasting, and quite good. Underneath that fruit flavor is a wheat beer that loses respectability with every gulp. The grain flavor is just too overwhelming.

The feel is creamy and easy to drink.

I would not recommend this beer. It is probably for some people, but not for me.

11-16-2008 03:39:08 | More by cnally
livingregret

Washington

2.45/5  rDev -8.2%

Serving Type: 12oz standard bottle. Nothing to fancy either on the label or the bottle itself

Appearance: Well well....looking good so far. A lovely 1 finger head w/ ample lacing, a very hazy amber colour. I was expecting more of a red appearance...but not so.

Smell: Cranberries, tart and some sweet malt.

Taste: Starts off w/ a light cranberry taste, almost tart, ends w/ strong malt. No bitterness to speak of. For a Lambic I feel that the malt is to dominating

Mouthfeel: Little after taste, overly carbonation, crisp. It is very crisp...like a Cider.

Drinkability: Well...it's not a Lambic. Having said that...for a Cider it's decent enough.

Thought I'd post some extra thoughts. Don't go into this thinking it is a Lambic. It is not. It is a cider. Plain and simple. For a cider it is pretty good...but not what I was expecting.

11-16-2008 01:32:08 | More by livingregret
gonzo46and2

3.2/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours a dusty burgondy. It's a cloudy dull color kind of like cherry wood with a bunch of dust on it. Had a little head that stuck a bit on the glass.

Smell is like toasted bread, biscuits, wheat, cranberry preserves, jelly, and more.

The taste is more of a fruit ale than a lambic. There hardly any sour characteristics. It is malty and has a cranberry taste that is not unpleasant. There is a bit of lime-like citrus and dusty dryness.

The mouthfeel is very nice the carbonation is not too aggressive and it drinks very smoothly with a dry finish.

This is hardly what I'd call a lambic. There is not brett funk or sourness in the taste. It does however have a nice character and is not too bad of a fruit beer.

11-16-2008 00:58:36 | More by gonzo46and2
ThreeWiseMen

2.98/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear, light-reddish amber with a quickly dissipating, though sticky, white head. J: 3.0; N: 3.5

Smell: Toasted bread, sweet cranberries, eggnog (says Justin), and butter. Mildly astringent.

Taste: Starts sweet and malty and finishes syrupy and tart. Cranberry and maple syrup are both very apparent.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a short-lived aftertaste. Medium carbonation. Reminds us of cider.

Drinkability: Pretty damn sweet, but better than we expected. Could probably split a second one, but nothing after that.

11-14-2008 19:22:44 | More by ThreeWiseMen
bigkahunas4

3.13/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a red wine glass.

I haven't had this in some 4 years or so - and the last I had it, I was not a fan at all. Even as I was transitioning into craft - I couldn't wait to throw this one out to get to my next Winter Lager in the mix pack. But, keeping an open mind - I tried it again - and was very pleasantly surprised.

The brew's appearance reminded me almost exactly of cranberry juice.. but with some carbonation at the top. The bottom of the glass was quite translucent and was more of a rose color as it moved up to a burgundy. No real head on this one, but some nice carbonation.

Nose was again, cranberry along with all the characteristics of Sam's wheat bears. The flavor on this those was quite nice - a refreshing wheat that moved to some cranberry essence. The beer was light and crisp. While, I can't take down more than one of these in a sitting - I now do not dread anything in the Sam Adams Mix Pack, and actually welcome it.

11-14-2008 13:34:11 | More by bigkahunas4
quikfish13

2.35/5  rDev -12%

A: Okay the pink head is throwing me off a little bit...but then again I am not a huge iambic fan. The body remains very cloudy and copper/ruby shaded while the head dissipates quick with a very tight lacing.

S: Heavy on the cranberry aroma, with faint hints of wheat and raisins. I am also getting a smell of apples I think.

T: The apple splashes down first. After that first wave it is a super tart cranberry flavoring. Also hints of raisins and plain wheat. The malt is very underplayed standing second stage to the cranberry. No hop bitterness to speak of whatsoever.

M: Very tart and sour. The body of the beer is light itself but it leaves a very nasty fruit bitterness in the end.

D: As it recommended on the bottle I could see this going along well with a desert or to someone who does not prefer the taste of anything not a fruit beer. Ah who the hell am I kidding I would buy this for my girlfriend.

11-14-2008 09:28:08 | More by quikfish13
jjanega08

2.3/5  rDev -13.9%

A= red with a huge light red head that's very thick and frothy. Its a little hazy and holds great lacing
S= a very odd combo of wheat and cranberry. Not good at all
T= cranberry is very plain and candy like with a kittke wheat and maybe rice or something in it
M= too much like a soda or something
D= I'll prolly never buy it. I got it with the holiday sampler so I might as well review it. I really don't like fruit beer so maybe it just was not for me. It tasted awful and I had to struggle to finish it. I gave the second from my sampler away, no need to waste beer

11-14-2008 00:41:42 | More by jjanega08
FACEMEAT

1.45/5  rDev -45.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: Looks like bloody urine with an anemic, quick-dissipating white head.

S: Reminds me of the Pabst/lemonade mixture I used to enjoy in high school.

T: Like cranberry iced tea that's been left in the sun for a few weeks to ferment. Genuinely disgusting.

M: Club soda

D: The first time I've poured out a beer in a loooong time.

11-13-2008 23:22:37 | More by FACEMEAT
swizzlenuts

Wisconsin

2.38/5  rDev -10.9%

A: Red with a small white head.

S: Cranberry hints with some fruity notes. Really laid back.

T: The flavour is not good, it's bitter with a slight fruit flavour. No sourness at all. The balance is not good either.

M: Slightly watery

D: Not really

11-13-2008 17:19:25 | More by swizzlenuts
MP72

1.88/5  rDev -29.6%

I really cant say anything more than these are just too sweet and unbalanced for me. I couldnt finish it and even the wife found them too sweet and tough to put down. I agree with the previous post this is the stinker in the winter mixed pack. There has to be something better to add to the holiday sampler.

11-13-2008 01:43:20 | More by MP72
nikthewerelion

New Hampshire

3.33/5  rDev +24.7%

nice winter brew, upon the second go around with this beer few years after i tried it for the first time, i have come to appreciate it alot more. good taste, not overpowering with the crans. wish it wasnt just in the winter pack. but oh well, still nice to get it sometime during the year.

11-13-2008 00:52:49 | More by nikthewerelion
thespaceman

Connecticut

2.28/5  rDev -14.6%

Appearance: Dark amber in color, decent lacing with a minimal head that clears quickly.

Smell: The smell of cranberrie's is there but it's not pleasing. The smell is almost like stale sherbert, or like a nasty cranberry yogurt. Florals are on the whack with this.

Taste: Cranberry or whatever it is, it's weak, this beer taste like a stale version of Cherry Wheat. The hops don't coordinate into anything but a fruit flavor that is beyond what they are aiming for. This isn't an over the top beer but it's not in Samuel Adam's areana, even for my tasting.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is decent, a little lacking for the style, may be too wet as well, not bitter enough to enjoy.

Drinkability: This is the beer that stains the pack. Why would they include such a rechid beer inside a pack with such strong contenders? The Holiday Porter, Old Fezziwig, Cream Stout, & Winter Lager are top winter brews, but this beer is a joke. Jim Koch needs to reorganize this pack next year and put this stuff on the retired list.

11-12-2008 03:29:44 | More by thespaceman
kinger

3.65/5  rDev +36.7%

I'm going to go against the common grain here because I find this to be a unique and rather grand fruit beer. Fully aware that the name is misleading, I wasn't expecting this to be a true Lambic and enjoyed a couple with an open mind. Served in a small goblet I waited and swirled and allowed this one to warm up and breathe. Golden orange color with a light reddish tint, a huge white head crested the glass and ultimately dwindled down. Lots of white lacing on the sides of the glass and a lazy constant carbonation. Aroma is tame and is of sour fruit, makes me pucker slightly as I sniff it. Sharp and awkward on the palate at first this one got smoother and friendlier as it sat. Wonderful flavor very unique yet something familiar, it took me halfway into my 2nd bottle to realize that I had made a dark raspberry wheat homebrew a year or so ago with some similar flavor. Anyway this has an initial sour taste, the cranberry flavor is subdued but comes through in the middle. After that crisp sourness is a small burst of dry sweets, honey in nature but likely the maple syrup used in the recipe. This was well enjoyed with some fancy chocolates dropped off at the office as a holiday gift. I would have loved to have had a few of these during Thanksgiving, seems to be a good fit for a hearty turkey dinner. Maybe next year.

11-12-2008 00:53:26 | More by kinger
gpogo

3.3/5  rDev +23.6%

A- Light pink amber slightly hazed body with a small off-white light red/pink tinted head. No yeast in body, nor in bottle. When pouring the beer the stream was a similar colour to grapefruit juice.

A- Light slightly sweet cranberry juice aroma. Wheaty aroma in the background.

T- Very interesting flavor. Starts out fruity, then you can taste some spicy wheat yeast flavors with hints of clove. No sourness or tartness on account of bacteria. Though the cranberries may lend a slight tartness to the flavor. Leaves a wheaty aftertaste with slight cranberry flavors as well.

M- Medium body with moderate carbonation. Leaves my mouth feeling rather dry.

D- I'm generally not a big fruit beer fan(especially of the Sam Adams fruit beers I have tried), however this is a pretty decent fruit beer from Sam Adams.

11-10-2008 05:29:21 | More by gpogo
ewright

2.93/5  rDev +9.7%

A: A finger of rocky head forms on top, but I'm immediately wary of the pink hue. The beer also has prominent pink and red notes overlaying a nominally amber beer.

S: I doubt this used any Belgian yeast, but there are some aromas reminiscent of the style. A bit of clove is present along with sour cranberry. However, the aroma is very muted overall.

T: There is definite sourness, but its hard to tell if this is the beer or the copious amount of cranberry. Those same clove-like notes show up late in the mouth.

M: Sour and tart as befits the style. The carbonation is a bit too large compared to other lambics.

D: Maybe this one does go well with dessert, as the label states. It's not a good one to drink by itself, but I could definitely see some cooking uses for this beer.

11-09-2008 23:26:38 | More by ewright
rgrholmes168

2.75/5  rDev +3%

Had to try after my wife bought a case of Sam Adams seasonal beer.

A- the color reminds of pink grapefruit juice. the beer poured decent with a 1.5 finger head, but it quickly disappated leaving just a little bit of lace.

S- a very fruity smell. not a surprise when you figure it is a cranberry juice based beer.

T- wow, the flavor was strong. the taste is very sour and the cranberry comes through in the beer. a little bit yeasty and a hint of malt.

M- nothing impressive.

D- one is enough.

11-09-2008 22:02:27 | More by rgrholmes168
WakeandBake

2.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours an interesting orange-pink color with a finger of white head that laces some and falls to a thin cap.
Aroma is a little yeasty, but otherwise a combination of sweet and sour fruit. The taste has a combination of sweet and tart fruit - some cranberry, perhaps apricot and apple notes as well.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Tartness coats the mouth with thisone.Drinkability is okay. It is not a drain-pour beer, but you have to be ready for the tartness.The only brew from Sam that I have not liked very much.Just not my style

11-09-2008 16:35:39 | More by WakeandBake
dmamiano

West Virginia

2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

This one was opened with hesitation. Had heard a lot of bad things and I wasnt dissapointed.
Looked ok with a slight red "hue" to it.
Smell was very odd, sour like smelling a cheap sparkling wine. I guess the cranberry was evident but kind of nothing else good .Kind of dusty smelling.
Taste was pretty poor. Really sour but in a bad way.
The combonation doesnt seem to work. Sam Adams should shelve this on for good.

11-09-2008 13:00:24 | More by dmamiano
Wetpaperbag

Washington

2.63/5  rDev -1.5%

A- This looks like that sparkling cider that you get around the holidays. There is a slight pink color to it. This looks funny, and according to the label it doesn't sound like a real lambic.

S- There is a nutty earthy smell to this, almost like granola. Has the sweetness yet still nutty in its smell.

T- The sour taste from the cranberries is there in the end of the taste for sure. The rest of the beer tastes, well, more like a wheat tea. There really isn't much taste, fruit or otherwise. I bet this would be a good beer for people to branch out from.

M- Thick feeling, very coagulated in taste.

D- Yeah, its easy to drink.

11-09-2008 03:13:23 | More by Wetpaperbag
sevopie

Colorado

1.83/5  rDev -31.5%

Appearance - Muddy red with a tannish head.

Smell - Cranberry-ish with some belgian-like yeast smells.

Taste - I'm not sure why, but there's almost a tomato flavor to this. I agree with the sentiment, cranberry does not go in a beer.

Mouthfeel - Light and over-carbonated.

Drinkability - May end up a drain pour, not positive yet.

11-08-2008 03:06:00 | More by sevopie
Mosstrooper

2.2/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my only glassware- a 20 oz Guinness tulip pint glass.

Appearance- Amber color, doesn't look too special, but not bad. The lacing left from the head is very nice and the best part of the appearance.

Smell- Absolutely terrible. It honestly smells like somebody ate a whole shit ton of cranberry sauce and threw up an hour later.

Taste- Very strange and only a little bit better than the smell. Beer and cranberry don't go too well together.

Mouthfeel- Light with relatively mild carbonation. Unfortunately, the carbonation and such bring out the cranberry sauce pukiness out a bit too much.

Drinkability- The smell turned me off almost completely and the taste is not very good at all. I almost had to force myself to drink it and could only do so very slowly.

This is the first Sam Adams brew that has let me down. I tried to take to this beer with an open mind after all the negative reviews, but now I understand them. Next year when I get the Sam Adams Winter mix pack, I'll be saving this one for when I'm really drunk and don't care about the taste but still want something to keep the party going.

11-08-2008 02:54:16 | More by Mosstrooper
schellsbeer

2.3/5  rDev -13.9%

The first beer from the Sam Adams Winter Sampler. Might as well get this one out of the way first. Who know, I might be surprised. Here goes....

A - Good. Slight Red Orange color with small white bubbles that form a very quick head. Lacing is thin.

S - Tart Cranberries plus beer. Ok. I like bitter beer. I like cranberries. Might be ok.

T - Yeah...something about mixing beer and fruit. Don't really care for it. Might be ok on Thanksgiving as a pre-dinner beer while getting ready to watch Dallas or Detroit play football. Snow coming down. Besides that, I really don't know what other times I would really enjoy drinking this beer. Fruit. Tart. Sour. I am sure as cranberry beers go, this might be ok. What I really purchased the Winter Sampler pack for was the other fantastic beers that are found in there.

M - Thin and crisp. Reminds me of a Mikes wanna be. Not that impressed.

D - No. One a year is ok but that is it. Unless I purchase another Winter Sampler. Choke one down....ok. Definitely better than any of the Macro brews but low on the Sam Adams scale.

Sorry.

11-07-2008 21:03:45 | More by schellsbeer
superdedooperboy

Georgia

Pours a reddish-orange hue, producing two fingers of slightly off-white foam that dissipates fairly quickly to a cap that leaves behind thick sheets of lace on the glass.

A mostly sour aroma fills the nose, though in this case it is not a bad thing; fruity-sweet notes and cranberry (the source of sourness) essence are plentiful.

Medium-bodied and nicely carbonated. A nice sweet/tanginess of cranberry juice hits up front and crowds around the edges, with a middle that is rather smooth and lightly bready with a faint hint of banana mixed in as well. Goes down with a lingering tangy sweetness.

Very refreshing and with a fairly light level of alcohol content, making this one quite drinkable.

Would pair excellently with turkey and cranberry sauce, complementing the flavors of the cranberries, and with its nice tart acidity it would cut through the fats and oils of dressing and gravy or even delicious holiday duck.

This one gets, in my opinion, an undeservedly bad rap from the majority of reviewers, and while the name is misleading and this is no true lambic, and while every palate is different and no palate is wrong, I believe that a great number of negative reviews are not objective, but are based rather in large part on prior negative reviews. This may not be the best that BBC has to offer, but I most certainly wouldn't call it the worst, either.

11-07-2008 04:30:12 | More by superdedooperboy
LilBeerDoctor

2.58/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed on 10/25/08. Bottle. Pours a dirty-ish red with a small light pink head. Aroma of grainy malt, vegetable stew, and cranberries. Flavor is full of cranberries and an odd-tasting grainy malt (cereal I guess?). Also some burnt smokey malts, not sure where that came from. Kind of weird, but not bad either.
6/4/6/3/13 (3.2/5)

Update 11/6/08. Bottle. Pours light red with a small ring of white head. Aroma of wheat malt with a slight hint of light sweet fruits and diacetyl. Flavor of lots of diacetyl. It's hard to get past that...maybe some light cranberry in the finish. Other bottles that I have had didn't have as much diacetyl but this one is particularly strong in that department. I don't know why, but all Sam Adams beers seem to have this diacetyl component and it does not agree with me. This is a much better beer without the diacetyl but I'm going to rate it as is because I don't think this is a rare occurrence.
5/4/5/3/12 (2.9/5)

11-06-2008 03:58:37 | More by LilBeerDoctor
nasty15108

2.58/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsener glass.

A - Poured a hazy brownish/red color. The pour produced a head of light pink foam and whispy lacing.

S - This beer had a musty/yeasty aroma with hints of cranberry.

T - More of the same. Malty with a slight sweetness up front followed by a cranberry tartness.

MF&D - Fruit beers aren't really my thing, and this one was certainly noting special. I'd much rather they put some more Holiday Porter or Fizzywig in the sampler and skip this one next year. I couldn't get through the entire bottle.

11-05-2008 00:36:39 | More by nasty15108
Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)