Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cranberry LambicSamuel Adams Cranberry Lambic

poor

poor

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev +23.3%

This beer is not as bad as everyone says it is. It tastes much better than it smells. I wouldn't want to drink this beer everyday, but cranberry's are festive, and this is a great holiday beverage. The beer pours to a medium reddish brown color with a good head. The smell is not so good. It sorta smells like rancid cranberry's. The taste is dry and tart. It's quite interesting. I couldn't drink more than one of these in a row, and thankfully there are only 2 in the twelve pack. I enjoy this beer once a year. It's the holiday season rejoice!!

2.73/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a dark amber color with hints of red and orange, a light pink head and decent lacing. Aroma of cranberries. Nothing spectacular, but can notice a little funkiness in the nose. Taste is slightly sweet, like cranberry juice mixed with beer. A light tartness is present. Mouthfeel is ok, slightly creamy. Not very drinkable. I'm only drinking this because nobody else wants it out of the variety pack. I wouldn't want to drink more than one of these at a time. Not horrible, but not good either.

1.85/5  rDev -30.5%

Picked up the Sam Adams holiday/winter box. Much to my chagrin this falls in the with rest of Sam's fare, making me think they should focus on quality over quantity.

Poured a light salmon color with a light pink frothy head. No lacing, retention is nonexistant.

Smells of sour cherry and malt, nothing like a lambics sweetness here.

Taste is a bit harsh, very sour "fake" cranberry up front. Some spice blends in with a very light malt for the finish. Obviously not a lambic.

Mouthfeel is dry and at times a bit harsh. Carbonation is weak. Body is light.

Drinkability is low. I will never drink this again as it was hard enough to finish the bottle. Not the worst beer I've had, but bad enough. I wish Mr. Adams would stop lying to me about what his beer is supposed to be.

2.63/5  rDev -1.1%

pours a clear orange-brown with a thin pinkish head, and some lacing.

smell of cranberries, some spice, and some malt.

taste is watery, tart, cranberry, malt, and some spice.

got this in a case with six other sam adams, this one was not one of the best.

2.17/5  rDev -18.4%

Broken out from the Winter Pack. If not going to break out on thanksgiving, than when?

Bottle Graphics: 5/10. typical sam style.

12oz poured into Dogfish pint with some turkey leftovers in a sandwich.

A: Light red color with a fluffy pink head. Settled lacing, not much special.

S: Tart cranberry and tomato juice aroma. Nothing close to a lambic smell. It has tartness but thats about it.

T: Not a lambic, tart, but not a lambic. None of the cranberry from the aroma transferred to the taste- more V8 than anything else. Something malty, no hops that I could find.

M: High amounts of carbonation. The body is not off putting.

D: This would be a hard beer to drink a lot of. Not because its filling, not because it is bitingly strong, its just not good or enjoyable.

I plan on getting some more of the sample packs and these will hopefully be enjoyed by visitors. My wife not a fan either and she likes both fruit beers and lambics.

3.85/5  rDev +44.7%

Winter variety pack. First time I've tried a "cranberry" or "lambic" beer.

A - Deep crystal-clear cranberry red with a good amount of head.

S - Slight hints of cranberries.

T - Malty and fruity. Very sweet.

M - A bit overly-carbonated for my taste.

D - Very drinkable. Almost like a light beer.

3.75/5  rDev +41%

Very red in color. Looks more like a fruit juice than a beer. Decent head and lacing though. I kinda like it. It's unusual at least.

Very light smell. Delicate is actually the word that comes to mind. Wheat and fruit with a hint of that distinctive Belgian character (yeast?). Subtle and interesting. Far from overwhelming. Again, I kinda like it.

A faint wheat and phenol taste with an over-riding fruit flavor. Cranberry, of course, but there are other fruit flavors in there. A decent sweetness throughout that it's easy to imagine as a partial result of the maple syrup mentioned on the label.

Very light on the palate. Refreshing really. Gets a little sticky at the back of the throat after a little while, but that's not all bad. This one is sweet from beginning to end. Sort of a one note beer in that respect.

As a rare holiday specialty brew, I can enjoy this. Even make it somewhat of a ritual, considering the other brews that come in the holiday box. By itself, the brew is interesting on the first bottle, but might grow bland pretty quick. Really, I have no complaints though. This is my first so I have no way of really knowing, but I have to wonder if SA hasn't changed the recipe for this year (2008). I think it stands up better than the reviews would lead one to believe.

3.53/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice sort of reddish hue to it-not quite pink. Decent head that definately has a pink look about it. Somewhat funky aroma-earthy and yeasty. Tart cherry like flavor up front. Crisp wheat taste. Just funky enough tasting to get by. Wet sort of cardboard flavors. Ok enough body. Not a bad beer in general if you ask me. Doesnt deserve the slamming it gets here. I wouldnt buy a six pack but in a variety 12er I find this ok.

3.58/5  rDev +34.6%

Poured from a bottle.

Pours a medium amber with decent clarity and a nice size head that gives a little time.

Aroma is of fruit and sour yeast. A little DMS comes through on the nose with a hint of corn?

Flavor is yeasty and light crystal grain with a huge pop of fruit. I can't tell it's cranberries, it just seems like berries, unspecific. Saison like yeast notes hint at a farmhouse ale under there somewhere, but mixed with the fruit gives a hint of DMS. Diacetyl flavors come out in the finish with an adjunct funk coating the tongue.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and not terrible.

A decent gateway, but maybe move on ASAP.

3.38/5  rDev +27.1%

"Just in time for the Holidays Samuel Adams unleashes a Winter Classics Variety Pack, two bottles of six distinctive beers. And of the 6ix, Cranberry Lambic will likely catch your eye first and disappoint you the most. If you are like me the word "lambic" leaves you with a dumb look on your face. You can relax because this is not a real lambic. Just as champagne is not champagne unless it is bottled in Champagne, France :: a lambic is not a lambic unless it is brewed in Pajottenland, Belgium. Aside from that minor detail a lambic is brewed using spontaneous fermentation and possess a clear vinous finish, Cranberry Lambic does not-and that maybe a good thing.

Don't Drink This Cold-I'll be honest, this beer isn't great, but it does deserve more credit, the balance between cranberry and yeast is impeccable; the finish is crisp and light like a wine, less the vinous/lambic feel. It does great before, during and after dinner, this unique "Boston Lambic" is worth an unbiased try. Buy the Variety Pack, (the beer is only available in the VP, and was M.I.A. for the last two year) you get 5ive awesome beers and one iffy one, and if you hate it you can pass it off to a friend.

Eat Drink and be Merry."

1.73/5  rDev -35%

Pours a light reddish brown with a slgiht head on the pour. Smell is bitter and rough. No fruit at all.
Taste is very, very faint cranberry. I think it's cranberry. Slightly off and smokey. Definitely not a lambic. Very thin in mouthfeel. This is going to be a chore to finish.

2.23/5  rDev -16.2%

My wife loves lambics-this is not a lambic. Poured this into a large wine glass, since I dont have a lambic glass and since this is the way she always gets it in bars. Cloudy light tan with a hint of red in the haze. Weak head that quickly disappeared. Some aroma of cranberries but no where near what I was expecting. Little or no flavor. I guess someone showed a cranberry to the bottle. My wife the lambic lover took 2 sips made a wierd face and handed me the glass. I was very disappointed with this offering from Sam Adams. This was the only complete dud in the sampler

2.1/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured into an imperial pint glass.

A-Pretty clear, deep amber-red beer topped with an off-white head which reduced quickly to nothing.

S-Mostly a cranberry and sour berry aroma. Some almost caramel maltiness underneath.

T-Surprisingly, flavors mostly on the line of caramelly/toffee malts with unattractive, subtle sourness over it. Not appropriate flavor for a Lambic stlye.

M-High carbonation. Medium-light body with little to offer overall. Finishes flat and bland.

D-Low drinkability. Not very tasty, won't look forward to this beer in the future. Luckily, only 2 bottles out of the Holiday Sampler 12 pack.

3.6/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Alright, so I wasn't quite as disgusted by this beer as lots of folks seem to have been. In my opinion, it was a fine example of a style that's just not particularly interesting or note-worthy, but one that I'm okay to try every so often. Pours a deep reddish color with a small head and light lacing. Nose is strong cranberry sweetness. Smells similar to how fruit beers smell. Not really beery, but not necessarily bad. Taste is similar, although definitely has some bitterness, appropriate to the cranberry. A touch of beery malt in there. No real hops, except for maybe in that bitterness. Feel is high in carbonation, medium in body. Overall, it's really not a bad fruit beer, although nothing particularly interesting either. My wife liked it.

1.25/5  rDev -53%

Tried this beer because it came with the Winter 12 pack that I bought for the holidays.

A-Very reddish appearance, truly indicative of the presence of cranberries in the brew.

S-The smell indicated too much fruityness, but then again it is a typical characteristic for most fruit beers. Still not impressed, though.

T-Either I'm not a fan of cranberries in my beer or I just don't like drinking beverages containing cranberries by themselves. Either way, the taste was just awful. Cranberries overpowered the beer.

M-Because of overpowering cranberry taste, feeling in my mouth was very bitter and sour.

D-Unlike some of the fruit beers that I had, which had some good taste and drinkability, this one had no drinkability. And it's all thanks to its negative characteristics in both taste and mouthfeel.

Thankfully, this beer only comes around during the winter and is not served in six packs. If it were to be sold in the latter, though, I would avoid at all costs.

2.6/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours a reddish/pink color with an off-pink head that stays around. Aroma is sweet and fruity, can't say I can pick out the caramel as others did. Taste is tart and sour (like cranberries) but it had a metallic aftertaste. I had this beer last year and it didn't taste like this, was a tad smoother and less tartness. Tried the 2nd bottle out of my winter variety pack and it was the same taste. Very disappointed with this years lambic. Not really a favorite, but I'm glad it is in the variety pack.

2.83/5  rDev +6.4%

Well, it is what it is. I think most by now know this is a feable attempt at a lambic. It isn't even close. Body is a pink/red color with a pinkish white head. Smells of tart fruit and as does the taste. Cranberry is definitely there with a little bit of spicey wheat or yeast in the aftertaste. This is a light feeling beer. Might be good before dinner. Somthing to start out a social event with.

3.33/5  rDev +25.2%

A: Pours a reddish pink hue with a whitish pink head. Little retention noted with some spotty lace.

S: Nice light cranberry aroma, no real tartness though. Very wheaty with hints of yeast and a touch of spice.

T: Just okay. The cranberry is there but not very bold. Very light almost like a wit or hefe with a yeasty quality.

M: Light in body good carbonation.

D: Okay, would liked a bit of cranberry tartness which is missing from this one.

3.6/5  rDev +35.3%

Appearance: Red in color, with a thin head; at quick glance, it looks like fruit punch.

Smell: Very cranberry, thought it did not leave much else to smell.

Taste: I really enjoyed the cranberry taste, especially on the back of the palate. It left a sweet aftertaste as well.

Mouthfeel: Good amount of body with some carbonation kick.

Drinkability: As much as I enjoyed this lambic, I could not enjoy more than two in one sitting.

3.05/5  rDev +14.7%

I picked up the cranberry lambic as part of the holiday classics variety pack.

Appearance: red-copper color with a thin 1/2" white head on the pour
Smell: cranberries dominate...almost a wine smell
Taste: hmmm...interesting...cranberries dominate with a mild maltiness on the back of the tongue (maybe some Crystal or caramel malt there)
Mouthfeel: light to medium body
Drinkability: probably just one for the night

Overall, one of the less impressive beers in Sam Adams lineup....but, I give them credit for putting it out.

4.5/5  rDev +69.2%

Ok I'm suprised, I really like this. This has some of the funky earthy qualities I like in Belgian ales. More sour cherries than anything in the smell and taste. Nice smooth mouthfeel and clean slightly sour finish. I hated Samuel Adams cherry wheat, it kept me from trying this. This is definately a love it or hate it brew. I love it. Oh since I've read the other reviews after posting mine, this is not a true lambic, but if it is a fruit beer it is the first one I've enjoyed.

2.95/5  rDev +10.9%

A: A reddish amber with a slightly rosey, offwhite head. Not much for retention, and head was a bit on the fizzy side, but not horribly so.

S: Quite light, the cranberry aroma is rather subtle and even muted, though there is a notable maltiness present.

T: Absolutely no tartness that I might have hoped for. The cranberry taste isn't overpowering or artificial, which I have to give them credit for, but it's missing something (other than the wild yeast, which I would have a lot of trouble believing was put into this to make it a lambic at all)

M + D: Medium body, and a little oiliness, but that's about where it ends. Not a bad feeling, but none of the dryness that I might hope for. Overall, it's a doable beer, and I don't see myself pouring the others in the winter pack, but I wouldn't actively seek it out otherwise.

3.58/5  rDev +34.6%

A- hazy amber colored body under a finger of quickly vanishing white head. moderate lacing left on the sides of the pint glass.

S- yeast, cranberries, and some spiciness. not much else.

T- starts out tasting like a hefeweizen, and then comes this weird artificial cranberry syrup thing, and it ends sour. very strange.

M- medium bodied and rather crisp with high carbonation.

D- of course, this one came as part of the winter mixed 12 pack. this is the one that ive heard nothing but terrible things about. its not nearly as bad as i was told or expecting. the bottle was easy enough to finish, and after i got used to the rush of oddly combined flavors, i liked it. its nothing i could drink as a staple, but wouldnt mind every so often.

3.08/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance: Cloudy pink color, with a white moderate head that didn't last long. Lacing was okay though

Aroma: Cranberries and yeast...not much else.

Taste: Mostly like the aroma, some tartness. Pretty upfront with the fruit and yeast.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and the tartness adds a crisp kick to the finish. I didn't like the excessive syrupyness

Drinkability: Good for people who don't really like beer. Its not bad, and tastes fine, but I don't think this thing is a lambic by any stretch of the definition. Thankfully, this was in the winter sampler. Only have 1 more of these to go (The rest of the pack is good)

2.88/5  rDev +8.3%

Yes I have bad, bad memories of this beer from long ago. A fledgling BA, branching out, loving all the samplers from Sam Adams, Saranac, even Pete's...and then trying this beer... <shudder> That was literally 10 years ago at least and now it's time to try it again, maybe with more of an open mind? We shall see.

A cloudy amber color, a thin off-white head, some lacing. The color does not do haze very well. Less than appetizing in the glass.

Mild earthy wheat aroma, with some tart cranberry. The taste seems to have an interesting blend of sweet earthy wheat and sour cranberries. The tartness dominates from start to finish but it does have some balance in between.

Decent body, but it's hard to call this drinkable. I will say that it is nowhere near as bad as I remembered it. I think my general dislike of it at due to that fact that I hate cranberries. I can overcome even that though as I learn to appreciate more and more beers for what they are.

Not going to say I am reviewing this to style since I don't hit the lambics very often, but this is overall pretty so-so.

Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)