Samuel Adams Black Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Black LagerSamuel Adams Black Lager

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: TheJudge on 12-27-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Black Lager Alström Bros

4.93/5  rDev +33.2%

Dark dark brown with ruby hues, a nice full creamy tan to light brown head, and decent carbonation which leaves some lace rings. Dark chocolate and roasty aroma; espresso like coffee character. Dark chocolate flavors dominate with a roasty coffee bean finish in the Robust Porter style. Medium bodied and smooth with a dry roasty finish.

Quite possibly the best Sam Adams brew I've ever had !! Nearer a Robust Porter in my book.

Per Label: "Roasted caramel and Chocolate malts" & "Noble Bavarian hops"

Per BBC website:
OG 14 P / 1.096 SG
191 cal
4.9 ABV
Malts: 2-row Pale, Munich, Weyermann Dehusked Carafa
Hops: Spalt Spalter

Purchase Before: 09/05 (notched)
Tasted: 06/26/05

4.84/5  rDev +30.8%

4.83/5  rDev +30.5%

A: Pours pitch black into my flute glass. Brownish head with poor sustainability (don't expect that from a lager). Looks almost like Guinness with a much thinner head.

S: Chocolate malts and roasted barley. Hints of bread and earthy hops.

T: Fantastic! Perfectly balanced. Distinct chocolate and coffe flavours as well as roasted malts. Less bread compared to the smell, but it's still there. Very very good!

M: Top notch. No unpleasant bitterness. Light body and great carbonation with many fine small bubbles (when you can see them through this black haze)

D: Very smooth and drinkable. I could drink gallons of this brew!

Unexpectedly, this is a fantastic beer. Definitely world class, it tasted perfect to the last sip. This one's already one of my very favourites! I highly recommend it.

4.83/5  rDev +30.5%

Pours a dark, ruby red color and has a thick tan head. The aroma is of chocolate and coffee... Definitely a lot of malt in here. The flavor is exceptionally balanced. There is no really overpowering flavor... a nice meld of the coffee tones from the roasted malt and a nice chocolate flavor as smooth as any fine chocolate beer, but balanced in a way that it does not become cloying at all. The label says it all when it comes to the finish... Smooth, spicy and very clean for all of the flavors going on here. I really like this beer and I hope it becomes a regular in the BBC lineup.

4.83/5  rDev +30.5%

O my good daddy who built me with my knockers on the low! I love this sap! It is the perfect accoutrement for the low-class denizen desserter of Keebler cookies and Chips Ahoy! I'm not a fan of coffee but this reminds me of coffee with a dark chocolate brain. It thinks burnt but says savor. I could easily become a drunk rotting my teeth out further on this brimmed black wizened wine of puddings! All stars here along with his step uncle SCHWARZ!

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

This time i drank my friend Sam Adams in a cold december afternoon. Once served in my glass "Pilsener Victoria":

A: A deep black color, like beer of coke, some amber flashes at the bottom, without bubbles, the foamy head is thin and long lasting, good lacing;

S: Dominates malt with scents of roasted coffee and biscuits;

T: Roated coffee, chocolate and cookie;

M: Clean and crisp, high bitterness with a sweet finish, medium body and carbonation;

D: Excellent beer from Samuel Adams.

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

Can't wait for the Black Lager to be available in 6pks in my area. As it is, I'm getting kind of sick of buying the mixed six and making my fiance drink the other 4 beers. Appearance and smell are good but somewhat unremarkable, but the taste is phenomenal. After drinking a Kostritzer and then one of these, I'm struck with the impression that *this* is how a black lager should taste. Caramelly and effervescent, sweet but well-balanced, mouthfeel is full and slightly creamy, not too much carbonation. Only a trace of the signature hops that make most Sam Adams beers taste exactly the same. If the Boston Beer Company would lay off the hops a little in all of their beers, I'd drink more of them.

The only reason I can't drink multiple Black Lagers in a sitting is because I don't have the fridge space for all of that Hefeweizen that I can't stomach and Boston Ale that I will drink only when I'm out of everything else.

If you like beers that are sweet-but-not-sticky, and if you're not a huge hophead, I can't imagine a more perfect beer, at least not for the price (as long as I don't think of it as $6.99 for a 2-pack).

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

Nice dark color very good thick creamy head.
Excellent mouth feel, nice velvet creamy texture as it floods the palate.
Nice coffee flavor at first with a taste of sweet caramel. Nice finish.
Very, very nice drinkable beer every sip seemed to get tastier.
I was happy to see they have added this to the Holiday Pack.

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

A couple things first. I have never had this style before. If all beers of this style are like this, count this as one of my favorite styles. Second, I consider to be hands down the best Sam Adam's beer I have had. It's unique, it's complex, and it's not too hard to find. I'm sure they sell 6ers of it, I got it in the one of the "brewer's choice" variety packs, which is actually well worth sampling some of the other beers in there as well.

Onto the beer. Black in color as the name suggestions. Great head. Looks very similar to a stout. The nose is malty which I was expecting, with some light molasses or perhaps honey scent. Light, but pleasant. I love the taste of this. For 4.9% alcohol, this feels like a very full beer, like there is a lot going on with it. Initially a very sweet malt taste, and as it goes down, the taste leads to some subtle hoppy bitterness, and ends with a smokey whiskey style taste. Love the taste. Mouthfeel has some good carbonation that perfectly fits what this is going for. Definitely will get this beer again.

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

Oh...my...God...this is most definately the best beer I have had. Drinking one now and it is most certainly an enjoyable experience. Went looking for a six of just the black lager, can only find the mix pack where I live. Oh, well...I will savor the two that came in the pack and move on to the rest...which ain't too shabby either
...I have had the brown ale and the Hefe Weizen that is in the pack at another time...looking forward to the scotch ale...think I already know what the regular lager is like...that is everywhere...
Very happy that I found these Sammy mix packs...it has allowed me to try many different beer styes, as I am somewhat new to beer exploration (have drank beer all my life, but never really worried about styles and such, just gimme a beer, plz)

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

love this brew. pours a deep black with a small tan head. in light, turns into a deep ruby red. though the liquid is black, this one is rather light in the mouth

smell is roasty up front, with some caramel and malts thrown in. not much alcohol present.

taste is also roasty, with undertones of hops. alcohol can be present, but is ephemeral at best. slightly more present on the way down. aftertaste does away with the roastiness and brings caramel and malts to the front.

mouthfeel is rather light, but with enough presence to know your drinking a good brew.

drinkability is suprizingly good, without any bad afterthoughts to make one weary of poping another open. it would be no problem to polish off a six-pack of these in one night.

this brew is very well balanced. the roastiness is not overdone (easily accomplished with a schwarzbier), and the caramel and malts are left to the background, letting the roastiness take the focus. cheers to Sam Adams, you've created another phenomenal brew.

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

Samuel Adams Black Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)