Samuel Adams Black Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Black LagerSamuel Adams Black Lager

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: TheJudge on 12-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Black Lager Alström Bros
1.83/5  rDev -50.7%

Asphalt coloration with a small half hearted white head. Lasts only for about ten seconds and bam its gone...

Smells of faint black licorice and roasted malts

Tastes of well an afterthought of flavors; used Yerba maté tea bag, spent malts really nothing else... water maybe

Watery in the mouth, thin and diluted, even keeled medium carbonation makes it soda like

Well I hugely disagree with the B+ rating given by most on here. This is a weak flavored, weak nosed, weak textured, weak beer. I did not expect to have my mind blown but hot damn this was boring

This is not something to recommend to anybody without wasting their money

JoeAmerican77, Mar 14, 2011
1.85/5  rDev -50.1%

12oz bottle into tulip snifter.
Best Before: March 2012

Pours black with a frothy tan head that dissipates fairly quickly.

The nose is of faint roasted malts. Smells nice, but the aromas are very muted.

It's the same story in the taste, decent roasted malt notes, but still quite faint overall. Has a quite unpleasant after taste of smokey charcoal, though it only comes through occasionally.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with decent carbonation.

Nothing particularly enjoyable about this, and the overly roasted, char notes are fairly unpleasant.

vkv822, Oct 21, 2011

Brutus627, Jun 24, 2014

2Shaws, Nov 21, 2011

emakings, Feb 10, 2014
2.03/5  rDev -45.3%

First and foremost, not impressed.
The color is kind of a dark brown tinted black, but not entirely opaque.
It looks VERY much like a cola.
The head even looked like a Pepsi head and lasts about as long.

No aroma that I could detect.

At a pretty cold temperature, it was nearly undrinkable. It taste like a cold, carbonated coffee. Or, a very weak coffee flavored cola. It's very carbonated, sharp in the mouth, bitter yet weak, with no interesting notes.

I let it warm up a bit, and that improved it slightly. It no longer tasted like a sharply carbonated coffee cola; and more like a slightly carbonated, oily feeling weak coffee.

Cold the feel was watery. Completely. Warmed up a little, it seemed a little creamier, but actually is more oily than creamy. Lasts in the mouth a little, but not in a great way.

For someone with a little experience as I have, I find myself very surprised that I prefer a strong Guinness over this black lager. I certainly wouldn't choose this beer again.

Mechphisto, May 10, 2006
2.17/5  rDev -41.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A-Poured a dark cola color with minimal head but had some decent lacing.

S-Smell was decent not too much to speak of here

T- I just really didn't enjoy the style...nothing against the beer it just had a contrasting bitter versus sweet taste...that was wholly unbalanced

M-It is a lager and its mouth feel is light for being such a dark brew.

D-Light and with a low ABV you could drink quite a few, but I will not buy this again.

CAP1868, Apr 07, 2009

JDWEX1117, Apr 16, 2012

Rozyravens, Apr 15, 2012

RyanGoodman, Apr 08, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -37.2%

A - Nearly black with a burgundy tint in light. Pours a one finger tan head that dissipated in moments. A thin ring of lacing left behind.

S - Very faint. Coffee malt, but I struggled to find even that. A bit of soy sauce as it warms (I really hope that stays out of the flavor).

T - Dark coffee and carmel flavors, only slight sweetness. Only a faint bitter in the aftertaste. It's pleasant, not much depth though. The soy sauce makes a faint appearance in the taste. As long as I don't think about it it isn't terribly offsetting. Yuck. At a bit warmer it overtakes the caramel, it is like low sodium soy sauce meets coffee. This is getting very gross. A bit warmer still, soy sauce dominants flavor AND stays around for the aftertaste. Don't let this one warm!

M - Froths up nicely, creamy, carbonation is too intense, only a tad refreshing, if you are thirsty, it would suffice, but if you aren't it's not good.

D - Better than most of Sam Adams's beers. It would work with many foods and as a session, but it is hardly a spectacular beer. Like your average Sam Adams, drink this cold, lest the offensive flavors come out to play. I mean it, drink this before it turns into soy sauce! Maybe it would go well with sushi?

mrasskicktastic, Jan 16, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -35.3%

12oz bottle poured into River Horse pint glass for lunch. Poured a dark redish brown color with small head. To me it has a strong barley smell and taste. I love dark beers but this one doesn't do it for me. I can drink it but I choose not to. Maybe I need a little more black lager experience.

acurtis, Oct 01, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -35.3%

Appearance: I do like the way this beer looks. I'm a stout lover and dark beers make my day. (usually). Dark with some head that vanishes quickly.

Smell:A little toasty, malty. And I do mean a little. Very light on smell of any kind.

Taste: I had several over a few months. At first I was not impressed with the taste. I am still not impressed with the taste. Not a beer I will buy or drink again. Watery, very little taste. I almost feel bad that I don't care for this beer because so many people seem to enjoy it. But I must be true to myself and my picky taste buds.

Mouthfeel: Nice feel. Makes the mouth feel good but it needs something- like taste!

Drinkability: Like the Lager but not the Black Lager. All show and no go.

Koolbreeze2, Mar 20, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -34.8%

appearance- black, slight tan head
Nose-dry, slightly roasted, neutral
taste-neutral, malt and hop flavor balanced, almost cancelling each other out, little toasty, smooth, like a guinness without the creaminess, but with significantly less hop bitterness
Mouth feel- thin, not too carbonated
Drinkability- i didnt enjoy drinking it alone, I would prefer to pair it with food

nitemarebrewer, Apr 01, 2006

mctizzz, Apr 10, 2012

brenjames, Jan 08, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells of dark fruit and burnt coffee. pours a pretty clear brown color with amber tints and a massive fluffy off white head. thin mouthfeel but the flavors are good and well blended. nice thin caramel and chocolate flavors on the side of the mouth with a very modest clean finish of coffee and balancing hops. very good in flavors that are blended together well but the watery body doesn't do justice to how much better it could've. balance is there and all it just needs a richer body. The thinness of the beer really hurt this one unfortunately.

jtierney89, Jan 26, 2012

WhitmansNiece, Jan 28, 2012
Samuel Adams Black Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)