Samuel Adams Black Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Black LagerSamuel Adams Black Lager

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: TheJudge on 12-27-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Black Lager Alström Bros

2.03/5  rDev -45.1%

First and foremost, not impressed.
The color is kind of a dark brown tinted black, but not entirely opaque.
It looks VERY much like a cola.
The head even looked like a Pepsi head and lasts about as long.

No aroma that I could detect.

At a pretty cold temperature, it was nearly undrinkable. It taste like a cold, carbonated coffee. Or, a very weak coffee flavored cola. It's very carbonated, sharp in the mouth, bitter yet weak, with no interesting notes.

I let it warm up a bit, and that improved it slightly. It no longer tasted like a sharply carbonated coffee cola; and more like a slightly carbonated, oily feeling weak coffee.

Cold the feel was watery. Completely. Warmed up a little, it seemed a little creamier, but actually is more oily than creamy. Lasts in the mouth a little, but not in a great way.

For someone with a little experience as I have, I find myself very surprised that I prefer a strong Guinness over this black lager. I certainly wouldn't choose this beer again.

2.17/5  rDev -41.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A-Poured a dark cola color with minimal head but had some decent lacing.

S-Smell was decent not too much to speak of here

T- I just really didn't enjoy the style...nothing against the beer it just had a contrasting bitter versus sweet taste...that was wholly unbalanced

M-It is a lager and its mouth feel is light for being such a dark brew.

D-Light and with a low ABV you could drink quite a few, but I will not buy this again.

2.33/5  rDev -37%

A - Nearly black with a burgundy tint in light. Pours a one finger tan head that dissipated in moments. A thin ring of lacing left behind.

S - Very faint. Coffee malt, but I struggled to find even that. A bit of soy sauce as it warms (I really hope that stays out of the flavor).

T - Dark coffee and carmel flavors, only slight sweetness. Only a faint bitter in the aftertaste. It's pleasant, not much depth though. The soy sauce makes a faint appearance in the taste. As long as I don't think about it it isn't terribly offsetting. Yuck. At a bit warmer it overtakes the caramel, it is like low sodium soy sauce meets coffee. This is getting very gross. A bit warmer still, soy sauce dominants flavor AND stays around for the aftertaste. Don't let this one warm!

M - Froths up nicely, creamy, carbonation is too intense, only a tad refreshing, if you are thirsty, it would suffice, but if you aren't it's not good.

D - Better than most of Sam Adams's beers. It would work with many foods and as a session, but it is hardly a spectacular beer. Like your average Sam Adams, drink this cold, lest the offensive flavors come out to play. I mean it, drink this before it turns into soy sauce! Maybe it would go well with sushi?

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

12oz bottle poured into River Horse pint glass for lunch. Poured a dark redish brown color with small head. To me it has a strong barley smell and taste. I love dark beers but this one doesn't do it for me. I can drink it but I choose not to. Maybe I need a little more black lager experience.

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

Appearance: I do like the way this beer looks. I'm a stout lover and dark beers make my day. (usually). Dark with some head that vanishes quickly.

Smell:A little toasty, malty. And I do mean a little. Very light on smell of any kind.

Taste: I had several over a few months. At first I was not impressed with the taste. I am still not impressed with the taste. Not a beer I will buy or drink again. Watery, very little taste. I almost feel bad that I don't care for this beer because so many people seem to enjoy it. But I must be true to myself and my picky taste buds.

Mouthfeel: Nice feel. Makes the mouth feel good but it needs something- like taste!

Drinkability: Like the Lager but not the Black Lager. All show and no go.

2.42/5  rDev -34.6%

appearance- black, slight tan head
Nose-dry, slightly roasted, neutral
taste-neutral, malt and hop flavor balanced, almost cancelling each other out, little toasty, smooth, like a guinness without the creaminess, but with significantly less hop bitterness
Mouth feel- thin, not too carbonated
Drinkability- i didnt enjoy drinking it alone, I would prefer to pair it with food

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells of dark fruit and burnt coffee. pours a pretty clear brown color with amber tints and a massive fluffy off white head. thin mouthfeel but the flavors are good and well blended. nice thin caramel and chocolate flavors on the side of the mouth with a very modest clean finish of coffee and balancing hops. very good in flavors that are blended together well but the watery body doesn't do justice to how much better it could've. balance is there and all it just needs a richer body. The thinness of the beer really hurt this one unfortunately.

From a Brewmaster's six pack

Pours a black beer with ruby hues around the edges. An off white head sticks around but isn't nearly what I got from the SA honey porter. It does leave a small amount of lacing.

Smells a bit of bitter chocolate, some sweetness, not getting any hops in the nose.

Taste is chocolate, but chocolate that has sat out for a while and dried up a bit, not creamy or sweet, but sort of chocolate-like. Hops even out the malt. I should have had this before the honey porter as it doesn't stand up to it in flavor. This isn't bad, but it just doesn't provide much to keep me interested.
The bottle claims a medium mouthfeel, but I would say on the lighter side of medium. A solid offering, but pales in comparison to the other SA brewmaster beers.

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

Samuel Adams Black Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)