Samuel Adams Black Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Black LagerSamuel Adams Black Lager

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: TheJudge on 12-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Black Lager Alström Bros

BourbonDemocrat, Apr 10, 2012

pmel90, Aug 27, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

A - Black? check!
S - Roasty, slight chocolate-sweet aroma
T - oh baby, definitly taste the chocolate on the palate with a delicious roasted coffee aftertaste
M - smooth, just the right amount of carbonation
D - wish I had more

Not much of a lager fan but this one was recommended to me by a friend. I enjoy roasted flavors so this one hits the spot. It gets an A in my book.

AlesRTasty, May 15, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Being one that hates coffee, I was a little worried when I read other reviews that said there was a coffee flavor in this brew. I'm glad that I decided to try it before I dismissed it.

The taste of this beer is very nice, with a roasted taste of hops all the way through. An ever-so-slight hint of bittersweet chocolate hides in the background. There's also a little bit of citrus zest in the aftertaste. The smell is also above par with a mixture of hops, malt and chocolate. It fills the nose nicely but doesn't knock you off of your chair.

Sam Adams once again outdoes its' self. Another soon-to-be classic.

assmasterson, Sep 14, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

After the Double Bock and Cream Stout, this is my favorite brew by Sam Adams. Pours out a really nice dark color and smells good. Its got a nice body to it and goes down beautifully. I tasted some nice chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt taste. Finishes off with a nice bitter taste. Good stuff.

pgenius, Oct 12, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Bought this in a Sam Adams variety pack and was plesantly surprised.

A- Poured jet black, and only held up to the light did it give off a reddened brown appearance. Excellent 2 finger head to begin with but soon dissapated to a millimeter lacing.

S- Very sweet malty smell to this one. Almost caramel-like

T- I'm not a gaint hop head, so this brew totally appeals to me. Very sweet and malty with little hop feel. Hops

M- Smooth mouthfeel, beginning with a slight crispiness due to carbonation.

D- I could session this beer all night. It's easiness would make it a great pub beer with something substantial to eat.

Food craving- Fat slab of pork and kartoffel salat.

Ochsenblut, Sep 13, 2006

bucketofheads, Aug 25, 2012

Grooveman53, Dec 29, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

hitshtwithsticks, Feb 06, 2013

Sobertso, Aug 16, 2012

Golfrocket, Jul 30, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +10%

Appearance: deep red, brown looking black in concentration. good head that lingers.

Smell: sweet molasses and malt, with hints of smoke.

Taste: wonderful smoked flavor balanced nicely with with sweet malt and caramel.

Mouthfeel: Full and smooth.

Drinkability: One of my favorite beers, that I don't see done a whole lot. Goes great with grill food.

mbenthall, Aug 11, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Icedogs, Oct 03, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

astidad, Dec 20, 2012
4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Appearance - Small head yet thick. Black/brown with a nice red hue in color.

Smell - The Malts come through strong and sweet.

Taste - Chocolaty with a smokey malty richness with a finish of oak and coffee.

Mouthfeel - Has a little tooth to it but not real chewy.

Drinkiability - Yes please. I can see myself drinking a few.

SAtaMi, Jun 01, 2010

redoak075, Feb 04, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

SierraDeuce, Sep 02, 2012

BostonKyle, Aug 21, 2012

ARCAChanger27, Jan 01, 2013

FXRGuy, Feb 07, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Picked this one up with the hope that it would be a sweeter/smoother version of SA Cream Stout. I'm not impressed really, this beer lacks the richness I was expecting from such a dark brew. I think I overestimated the Schwarzbier style.

Appearance was cola-like dark brown with a large bubbled head that faded to a thin, fizzy film and eventually disappeared. Typical lager head really. Smell is sweet dark malts, quite inviting. Taste is mildly sweet, mainly caramel with a little dark bread and very little hops. The dark brown color had me expecting a cocoa flavor but alas, caramel is all I got. Pretty easy to drink overall but not enough flavor or spice to keep me interested.

Folderol, Apr 21, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

Sam Adams black Lager, I was surprised by how good this was...

A: Pours almost black, but through-light shows a deep, deep red hue. Off-white head with descent retention and lacing.
S: Great malty smell, chocolate, coffee and vanilla. No real hop aroma.
T: Similar to smell. Lots of sweet malt with the flavors described above. Low to no bitterness.
M&D: Medium body and mouthfeel with an unusal (but good) creamy texture. Average drinkability. It gets a bit sweet for me at the end.

My first black lager. I look forward to having more examples from this style. I would buy this beer again.

JBStith, Sep 05, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

A: Pours black but when held up to the light shows a very deep blood-cranberry red/purple. Beautiful. The head is average, tan and fine with decent retention and a thick layer left on top after all is said and done.

S: Very impressive...and toasty! Carmel malt dominates with the chocolate malt in the background. Noble hops are there but very docile as they bow to the malt. Interestingly enough, it smells more like an ale then the lager. I have been told that it smells like raisins but I humbly think it's better described as brown sugar/alcoholic, aleish sweetness...mmmm...could have worded that better probably.

T: Soft as a cloud... the malt obviously dominates but the it seems much more balanced in the taste then it did the smell. The hops are there to add much needed adventure. Mmmm...wow. When I taste this beer I can tell just what the brewers were up too. I know exactly what they wanted to do with it and they did it near perfect. Near perfect execution for what it is.

M: Not thin but wet. But it does push the envelope and is on the border of being too thin. But it's not. It is supposed to feel slightly thin. I beg to differ with my colleagues when they say there isn't enough CO2. The CO2 is perfect.

D: Very drinkable but the style gets older quicker than most.

I am not a SA cheerleader by any stretch of the imagination but this...this is a damn good beer. Cheers!

Mryup, Dec 07, 2007
Samuel Adams Black Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)