Samuel Adams Black Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Black LagerSamuel Adams Black Lager

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: TheJudge on 12-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Black Lager Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

GDPete, Oct 11, 2013
4.22/5  rDev +13.7%

From the Sam Adams winter pack 2006:
This beer is dark brown with a nice tan head to it. Fairly thin in appearance when held up to the light. Smell is sweet with hints of caramel and mollasses. Taste is very smooth, almost creamy. Well balanced and refreshing. A great change of pace beer for a hop head like me. Overall extremely drinkable. A great session beer. If your looking to turn someone over to the dark side, then this is your beer.

treedoctor5002, Dec 08, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -19.7%

Drinking Date: 1/30/11
Best-By - March 2011

Glassware - Pilsner

Appearance: It's completely black. An off-white head that dissipated quickly and left very little lacing.

Smell: The beer presented a pungent roasted aroma. As I got close to the brew, I also smelled some spiciness and some fruitiness ( a little citrus, but mostly a banana-like smell, which was surprising). An interesting and varied aroma

Taste: A slight bitterness opened the taste, but was quickly replaced by the roasted flavor of the malt. The beer shifted between the roasted flavor and hints of sweetness. Finished with a lingering taste of those flavors. Though the taste had some variety to it, I thought it was fairly weak. The flavor did not 'grab' me; it was more like the other way around. I was expecting a bigger flavor.

Mouthfeel: As the bottle states, it's medium-body. Has moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: The beer was not heavy where consuming several of these would be a problem to stomach or palate. However, the lack of savory flavor does not entice me for multiple tries.

Notes: I have never had a bad Sam Adams brew, and the Black Lager is no exception. I have read that black lager is typically light in character, so perhaps the flavor is true to the style. For me, after tasting, I would pass this one up for another style.

BeerMeInMS, Jan 31, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

corekneelius, Aug 16, 2012

BeerNut78, Jan 25, 2012

uconn126, Feb 11, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

lnanthony, Apr 11, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

Easy to read freshness date (March 2006). Pours fairly black with ruby highlights. Held up to light, it lets a dim reddish color through. I poured it very gently, since I've had some Sam Adams get a huge head. Ended up with half a fingre, that settles to lacing on the sufrace and some down the glass.

Smell is grainy with some roasty notes. A lot more sweet/grainy smell gets through compared to a porter or stout.

Taste is smooth with a hint of roast and toast flavors matching nicely with the sweet. The hops just peek through at the end to provide a pleasent finish. It's quite drinkable. A very nice, mild, somewhat subtle, beer.

skynxnex, Nov 30, 2005
3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

From a holiday sampler 12 pack, purchased at a Roanoke Kroger
Poured into a nice foamy brown head, with strong retention. A dark beer, but sunlight visible if held up to a window. Taste is smooth with roasted malt being the main character in the mix.

A good beer, but a little two sweet to be a daily addition to the fridge.

CpnYates, Oct 16, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

Usually Im not a fan of super malty flavored beers. But the roasted smokiness of the malts in this beer put it right up my alley. Beer looks good, smells good and tastes good. Not great but good. Feels great in the mouth. A very comfortable beer. Definitely a beer I could enjoy from time to time.

Pehlman, Mar 26, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

consumed 02-19-2009, 12oz bottle into pint glass.

appearance: pours an almost black color with ruby tones on the edges. managed to get about an 1/8 inch head.. minimal lacing.

smell: roasted malts, mild nutty aroma & slight hop presence.

taste: roasted malts & hints of caramel & cocoa. has a bit of a spicy note to it & a clean/grassy but very light hop note.

mouthfeel: light bodied with light carbonation.

drinkability: easy drinker and good session beer. but i'd choose others over this.

uhhhaaron, Aug 11, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

This is a pleasant dark lager. I was surprised by the burnt taste of the hops and thought that it brought a nice flavor addition to what would have been a normal lager. It seemed to be a nice mix of my two favorite beers, stouts and lagers. I enjoyed this beer and will miss it when I finish the 6 pack.

tkepx182, May 13, 2011

BigJaws, Apr 13, 2012

havoc1, Mar 21, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

femond, Jun 13, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

I first encountered this beer when I was up in NJ a few weeks ago. Not having tried it before and with little else of interest in the particular beer store I found myself in, I bought a 6 pack.

I was reasonably impressed by this darkish ruby colored, caramel prominent brew. More so than I imagined I might be.

Since my initial encounter, I have acquired another 4 bottles in the Sam Adams Winter Pack that my wife bought for me recently.

Strangely, every time I go to drink this beer I expect to experience the same slight disappointment I get with Saranac beers (they sound and look great, but just don't really hit the spot) however, Sam Adams is not Saranac and I should know by now that they consistently deliver the goods on a regular basis.

beerogre, Nov 20, 2005

MyMagicalPants, Jun 19, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours mostly black with a bit of a red hue when viewed into a light. Forms a 1-finger tan head that displays little retention.

Almost no smell to this one, which is surprising. There is a hint of roasted dark malt and touch of coffee.

Tastes of dark roasted malt and coffee flavors. Slightly bitter hop finish. The mouthfeel is again surprisingly light and smooth with a moderately high carbonation. This doesn't have the mouthfeel you'd expect when looking at it.

Overall, I enjoy this beer and could drink a few in a sitting.

pharmer, Nov 08, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +26.1%

Appearance: The beer pours an almost black color with a thick creamy tan head.

Smell: It's a smokey smell with a hint of black coffee.Almost reminded me of the smell of Liquid Smoke.

Taste: Almost identical to the smell, very thick and smokey with a hint of coffee. Flavor kind of reminded me of how meat tastes when its charred on the grill.

Mouth feel: Medium bodied and with medium carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a great tasting lager.Easy to drink,and leaves you wanting more, the smokiness of the beer is what keeps you coming back. Highly recommended!!

Tee76, Oct 02, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

b2rade2n, Mar 10, 2012

hoorayfourbeer, Nov 29, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass, about an inch of thick creamy foam. Super dark chocolate taste, with a thick syrupy feel to it. I can't really describe the smell but I didn't care for it. A very heavy beer, but not much in the alcohol dept. only 4.9

Not my favorite by a long shot, but not horrible.

noknife83, Jan 17, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

weazle1334, Apr 06, 2014

JKerfman, May 06, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

thechief16, Apr 25, 2013
Samuel Adams Black Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)