Samuel Adams Black Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Black LagerSamuel Adams Black Lager

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: TheJudge on 12-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Black Lager Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

I don't usually drink dark lagers or stouts, this beers smell and taste are a nice balance of beery goodness that delights my palate. The roasted caramel and chocolate malts give this beer a stout like taste with medium consistancy of a lager. Despite the interesting taste, I still think some complexity could be added to this beer. I think Samuel Adams brewers should try emulating Rogue Brewery beers which are complex but very drinkable.

Bitzy, May 02, 2008

spraw9, Feb 29, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Excellent smooth dark lager. I've had 5 or so 6-packs of this since I discovered it in the Brewmaster collection. It's become a favorite treat amongst friends.

Balanced Sweetness, low bitter (especially for a dark) and great texture. It runs a little flat so I'd like to see a bit more carbonation but overall one of my favorite dark beers.

merddyn2002, Aug 04, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +9.2%

A-black as the name would suggest with a fair amount of creamy white head.
S-Roasted malt with hops playing hide and seek.
T-Mocha Coffee with sugar and spice taste is more complex then the smell

M-Just the right amount of bubbles but kinda thin for the style

D could down three or four in quick order

rcwhiteky, Aug 19, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

HaplessHero, Jul 20, 2012

afoltz2, Jan 25, 2012

PoppyRobison, Sep 21, 2012

ReadingRambler, Aug 18, 2014
4.22/5  rDev +13.7%

Seen this on the shelf beside a black lager from Germany and just had to try it. Damn, this stuff is good!! Pours a VERY dark almost
black color with a nice creamy head that stays around a while. the smell is of roasted caramel? (hell, I'm no expert on smells, I just know it smells good!) Mouth-feel is good; not too fizzy, and goes down real good with just a little lingering after-taste that some may find objectional. I my-self really enjoyed this brew and look forward to getting some more.

dmowen, Jun 25, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -35.3%

Appearance: I do like the way this beer looks. I'm a stout lover and dark beers make my day. (usually). Dark with some head that vanishes quickly.

Smell:A little toasty, malty. And I do mean a little. Very light on smell of any kind.

Taste: I had several over a few months. At first I was not impressed with the taste. I am still not impressed with the taste. Not a beer I will buy or drink again. Watery, very little taste. I almost feel bad that I don't care for this beer because so many people seem to enjoy it. But I must be true to myself and my picky taste buds.

Mouthfeel: Nice feel. Makes the mouth feel good but it needs something- like taste!

Drinkability: Like the Lager but not the Black Lager. All show and no go.

Koolbreeze2, Mar 20, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +17.3%

This was the real the treat in the Sam Adams sampler pack i bought this week. At first its appearance is that of a stout or porter, I have had dark lagers just never this dark before. Held to the light it appeared black with reddish hues, very nice, not quite the same head retention as a stout though. Has a slight smell similar to a stout (chocolate and roasted coffee) and the flavor to boot there was very little lacing on the glass. Has slightly creamy mouthfeel of a stout with the finish being much milder than expected. In the end it was a very dark mild satisfying beer that i plan on picking up again very very soon.

-RR

RollingRocker, Mar 14, 2009

Ragamuffin1970, Aug 02, 2013

cjoan24, Feb 07, 2012

srap357, Apr 26, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

SinutabRamirez, Jun 09, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +18.6%

Hold a glass of this dark lager up to a light to delight in the red-chestnut hues that lurk underneath. Mine poured with a fine, thick head, though it didn't last very long.

Smell this beer, and you know what you're getting: roasted, malty flavor that's occasionally chocolatey or even nutty. That said, this is no stout. The flavors are subtler, and the beer is lighter and altogether more drinkable. Tasted just as at home with a chicken sandwich as it did with a piece of fine dark chocolate.

davidshamoon, Aug 29, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

A- Dark Brown/black colour, a very mild head that left a only a little in the glass.

S- Light smelling; roasted malt, caramel, possibly some dried fruit.

T- Sweet roasted malt, with caramel and molasses, not much hops to speak of.

M- Medium bodied, with medium-low to medium carbonation, relatively smooth, crisp flavor, then the somewhat oily finish that others have mentioned, though the taste left in the mouth is pleasing.

D- Fairly drinkable, good with meals mostly. Worth having around, but I probably wouldn't drink more than two or three.

Scribbles, Oct 30, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Tasting Notes: Stored in the fridge and served in a pilsner glass.

Aroma: Roasted malt aroma that is somewhat sweet. Very low amount of hops.

Appearance: Dark brown with red/ruby undertones. Incredible café au lait head that quickly dissipates to half and leaves a heavy trail. Clear with many bubbles on perimeter of glass.

Flavor: Clean, smooth, slightly sweet malt flavor. Slight bit of hops noticeable. Roasted coffee-like flavor at finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with some noticeable carbonation. Very smooth.

Overall Impressions: Well balanced flavors overall. Not as heavy as expected from appearance (looking like a porter or stout). Very enjoyable (drinks like a good lager) and I would certainly enjoy multiple.

luchris80, Dec 07, 2009

silvanus, Feb 19, 2012
3.43/5  rDev -7.5%

I was not enamored with this beer. It pours great, looks great in the glass so I was expecting big things. However, for me, something is missing. It had a slight bitterness and a slight aftertaste that just didn't appeal to my taste buds. I could probably have a couple and maybe with a good heavy meal it might pair well. However, unless it was free, or the only thing available, I couldn't see myself having a session with this offering.

Dadoftwogirls, Oct 26, 2010

NJHopHeadBob, Mar 02, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

twentyfour01, Apr 24, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

Happened to be in traveling in West Virginia and this was the only thing that caught my eye at the local grocery. Good choice.

A - Extremely dark with moderate head and retention.
S - Caramel and malts.
T - Very pleasing. Fairly sweet with some burnt caramel. Light on the hops but no so much that the taste was unbalanced.
M - Medium mouthfeel.
D - Enjoy several.

HurricaneMo, Jan 29, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

The beer poured nice smooth into the glass. It was a very dark colour with a tan two finger head. The smell was a warm smokey malt taste and was sweet-esque with a nice caramel under tone to the scent. The taste was definiatly above average. It started very rich and smokey but had a nice sweet after taste. The mouthfeel was rather satisfactory; not too heavy but definately not too light. It went down semi smooth. Drinkability was above average.

rhythmguitartz88, Mar 29, 2007

Poured a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. It poured a deep brown/black with a thin, light tan head.

Smells of hops and chocolate.

Mild flavor of chocolate and malt sweetness with very little bitterness. Not very much of a finish, but what there is is faintly chocolately.

Very smooth mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

Goes down very easily. So does the second and the third. Quite possibly my favorited Sam Adams.

reallyhoppie, Jan 23, 2009
Samuel Adams Black Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)