Samuel Adams Black Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Black LagerSamuel Adams Black Lager

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: TheJudge on 12-27-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Black Lager Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic pint.

Appearance: Pours coffee black with reddish tints around the edges. Not as dark as many stouts. Creamy, thick, caramel head that leaves extensive lacing around the glass and sticks around till the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Smells of toffee and caramel with malty layering. Has some slight nutty character.

Taste: Rich, creamy maltiness with toffee flavoring that morphs into more of a coffee flavor towards the end. Chocolate flavor comes out the more you drink. A delectable flavor that I want more of. Roasty without being burnt.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth, and thick. Almost a velvety feel to it.

Drinkability: This is what I wish most dark beers tasted like. I love it! Give me more.

Comments: Looks very much like a dry stout but tastes nothing like them. A truly delightful brew that will be welcome in my fridge any time.

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Pour into Samuel Adams Glass

A: Deep mahogany pour, two to three fingers of caramel colored head.

S: The first thing I thought of when I smelled this was 'Chocolate Asphalt', which in my own reckoning of the beer, complimented it well. The cocoa, roasted malts had a tarlike and nutty quality, which was almost endearing.

T: The mixture of sweet Sarsaparilla and roasted malts permeate this brew - the coffee bean earthiness brought this beer home. This a well-crafted medium-bodied brew, that is distinctive and well placed in its style.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this Sam Adams selection - what a well balanced schwarzbier, with sufficient complexity to make it one of the most worthy of the style.

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, best before 7/2011

Poured a very dark brown, with a little reddish hue when held up to the light. Two finger head with a soft, creamy look to it.

Smells of dark cherries, roasted malts, with mild citrus notes.

Tastes of chocolate with a slight hop limeyness(?) to it. Kinda watery??

Has a nice creamy feel to it, but seems a little thin for my tastes.

Not sure if I would put this in the "Brewmasters Collection" sixes, as Sam has a lot more to offer than this. Overall not bad, but by no means great either.

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

4.4/5  rDev +18.9%

I didn't know what to expect from this Schwarzbier style. But I had to try it and see exactly what was going on there. It was a nice black/amber huge, with a small light brown head with very little retention. But it presents itself well! Sweet smelling with chocolate and roasty smells. A nice grainy mouthfeel and nice chocolate and roasted malt taste with a hint of burnt wood. Very very impressed, I will definitely pick up a six pack again soon.

4.08/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours dark black with a tan head that stays for a while. Smells of malt and chocolate with a hint of caramel. Taste is surprisingly great. Sweet malt, chocolate, and caramel. The blend of tastes is superb. Very smooth. Due to the beer being sweet I couldn't drink too many of these in a sitting. I really enjoyed this beer and look forward to trying more of this style. The inclusion of this along with the Holiday Porter makes their holiday 12-pack better than ever.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

4.06/5  rDev +9.7%

I can't remember the last time I had a beer that felt so good in my mouth. This is a truly great creation from our friends at the Boston Beer Company. It tastes amazing with a deep rich flavor and a deep dark appearance. The only knock I have on this beer is that it isn't particularly drinkable. I can only have two or three of these before my taste buds are overwhelmed. All-around great beer however.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

I have to say Samuel Adams never fails to deliver with me and it's beers. All Samuel Adams have given me good experience.

A: Dark in color with brown around the edge of the glass. Nice off white head and a little lacing around the top of my glass.

S: I have to put this down to a little above average cause when you're drinking other dark lagers like Chatoe Rogue First Growth, Sprecher Black Bavarian, and even Shiner's Bohemian Black you get very strong and noticeable smell... this I feel lacked in over all excitement.

T: Tasted very good with a decent smoker finish that I knew i would enjoy... not my go to with the schwarzbier style but a close second.

M: Fairly creamy, which wasn't bad but was unexpected. I find myself enjoying a thinner beer in this category but the thickness of this was very welcome in comparison.

D: Very drinkable as are most Samuel Adams beers. I think they are going for the buy a 6 pack or case and sit down and enjoy it finish to their beers. I really love to have these at relatively normal parties that way not to many people ask for one of your beers but the ones that do, you know will enjoy it.

4.08/5  rDev +10.3%

Charcoal dark with maybe a hint of ruby. Darker capuccino head with white lacing that trails half the glass.

Lots of dark roast. Coffee and nut first with maybe a touch of caramel in the back where the hops show up. Slight bitterness of hops/coffee combination in the finish.

Beer is quite thick even for a lager. Very bouncey in the mouth almost like a chewy bouncey ball.

Notes: this beer is upfront. it's not like the west coast craft beers that come off so sweet and complex. this is for people that like their coffee black. it's all coffee basically. i like this beer with sweet barbecue. the sweetness from the sauce adds sugars to it and brings out more candied fruit notes.

Samuel Adams Black Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)