Samuel Adams Utopias - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  29.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-09-2005)
Reviews by Jessenimmo:
Jessenimmo

04-29-2013 19:54:09 | More by Jessenimmo
tectactoe

4.34/5  rDev -2.9%

Review #400, better try and make it something special. How about a little '03 Utopias? Super huge thanks to Jeff for giving me a taste of this ten year-old beauty one night. I've been wondering if I'd ever get to try this, let alone the whale-ish vintage of it. Solid, copper-brown pour; silky, oily, and thick as it falls into the glass quietly - no carbonation at all. It just sits in the glass, motionless and menacing.

I don't even have to bring this to my face to smell it. I could have sat on the other side of the room and reviewed the aroma. It was SO goddamn strong, words can't even express its brute force. And not only was it strong, it was complex - the number of things present were insane, and it seemed like the aroma stretched on for miles. Licorice, cognac/brandy, brown sugar and molasses, candied dark fruits, grapes, plums, rubbing alcohol, maple, toffee, vanilla, wood... I could probably go on for days and you guys would say "bullshit!" but there's no bull here. The aroma is one of the most complex and intriguing on the market. Granted, a bit "hot" and stingy on the nostrils, but at 20%+ ABV, isn't that to be expected just a bit?

I was almost afraid to take a taste, just because I had no idea what to expect. I mean, a beer with over 20% ABV? How good can that really taste? It hits my palate, heavy and thick, smooth and far from cumbersome thanks to a lack of any real carbonation. Super, super sweet at first, and yes, the alcohol is VERY present and VERY apparent. But the intense sweetness does a remarkable job of retaining drinkability, when you consider how strong this stuff really is. Brown sugar, molasses, black cherries, plums, booze-soaked raisins, toffee cake, light rubbing alcohol, port, caramel.... Very nearly as complex as the nose and every bit as hot.

It's amazing that even after ten years, this beer has seemingly retained so much of its potency. I wonder how hot this was when it first came out? Maybe the effects of aging aren't quite as severe when you're dealing with alcohol content in this range. Despite being so hot (and understand that when I say "hot", I'm talking relative to beer - this still has nothing on real whisky or bourbon), it remained pretty drinkable, most likely due to the heavy sweetness that worked hard to balance out the burn. The finish left a hefty taste on the palate, full of dark fruity booziness and a thick, caramel and molasses coating. This is one of those things you could still be tasting in the morning if you don't brush your teeth good enough.

So how do I rate this? It's so far from the realm of "beer" as we know it, that it's quite difficult to rate it using the same scale and criteria as I would rate other beers, even considering differences between styles. I mean, you wouldn't score a glass of Macallan 18 with the same set of standards you use for beer, right? The thing is, Utopias is far from the realm of most hard alcohols, too. It's much sweeter than your typical bourbon, scotch, whisky, cognac, etc, and in my opinion, contains a bigger array of overall flavors and nuances. It's almost in a world of its own - a strange limbo somewhere between beer and spirits, where no other breweries have dared to go.

Make no mistake about it, though, Utopias is damn good. I think it comes as no surprise that it's definitely a "sipper", and it's a highly enjoyable and tasty one at that. Is it worth the price tag? Hard to say. Is anything worth that much money? Depends on how much you want it, I guess. I'll tell you this - it makes for a great experience and a great time when shared among friends. A nice conversation piece in itself, and enjoyable for beer geeks of all types. Big thanks again to Jeff for letting me take a taste.

03-19-2013 11:59:46 | More by tectactoe
ricke

Sweden

4.22/5  rDev -5.6%

Vintage 2007. The bottle was opened for the first time about a year before I sampled it.

A: Shiny amber color, clear liquid. Obviously no head.

S: Lots of sweet fruit aromas (apples, plums, cherries), raisins, brandy. Notes of wood and a hint of dusty cellar. Big alcohol fumes, but they are well integrated and the smell is actually quite balanced. Very rich.

T: Intensely sweet with notes of fudge and toffee, chocolate, nuts and rich aromas of ripe fruit. Boozy raisins, brandy and barrel notes. The taste is richer than the smell and more complex. A faint cellar character is detectable, but not as clearly as in the smell. The finish is really hot with lots of spicy and sweet alcohol and lingering liqueur-like sweetness.

M: A great mouthfeel. Big body with a very sticky and chewy texture. Completely flat.

D: I actually like this one. Of course, it's more reminiscent of a fortified wine or liqueur than a regular beer, but that's how it's supposed to be. A great sipper with a sophisticated yet cocky character.

07-20-2009 14:48:09 | More by ricke
jono0101

Missouri

11-27-2013 19:36:34 | More by jono0101
brownbeer

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

2009 vintage

Pours deep tawny in color with no head. Get a nice sized sample because when you swirl it about half of it sticks to the sides of the glass.

This is one of the best smelling beers i've encountered. It reminds me of a nice stack of pancakes with melted butter and hot maple syrup on top. Raisin, alcohol, and vanilla come out as well. I'm sure there is a lot more going on in here that I can't pick out.

The flavor is a little more bourbony to me, not quite as strong, showing the maple, brown sugar, and vanilla notes. No carbonation, it doesn't need it, and a just slightly syrupy mouthfeel. Very rich and complex, one bottle of this could be shared with about thirty people.

This is a great beer that everyone should try if given the opportunity. If you find one, try to have a few friends go in on it with you and it'll be more fulfilling and won't bruise the old wallet quite as much.

01-07-2010 00:21:44 | More by brownbeer
Schlais

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

07-26-2014 04:16:22 | More by Schlais
weatherdog

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%

Big thanks to Gonzoillini for bringing this over to our tasting.

2009 Vintage

It was about a 2oz. pour into a nicely shaped mini glass that seemed perfect for a beverage of the sort. It was a deep ruby burnt brown color with legs that stayed on the edges of the glass for longer than I had ever seen. Just by looking at I could tell this is unlike any beverage I have ever had.

It has a similar aroma profile to cognac or a nice scotch but much sweeter and with a more robust fullness to it. Not nearly as much alcohol in the nose as I would have expected, I've smelled other 10-15% ABV beers with more burn. It was quite nice and just so rich I couldn't wait to taste it.

It drank like a brown sugar, bourbon, cognac mixture but with such a full body behind it. It was suggested to me to look for a little soy sauce character. I searched and got just a little bit of it but not enough to have pulled it out on my own and what I did taste was more complimentary to the taste than detrimental. It is easily the most complex thing I've ever tasted and every place in your mouth picked up a different character. When it was left in my mouth long enough I got a little alcohol burning sensation on the top of my mouth but not as much as I would have expected. It was truly a wonderful drink.

It was so smooth I couldn't believe it. I'm really glad it is served flat as carbonation would have been distracting. The 2 oz. I had were the perfect size and any more would have been filling. I'm giving it such a high drinkability score as it is well over twice as drinkable as the cognacs and whiskeys I have had. I figured halfish the ABV should be about twice as drinkable. The full bodiedness of it masks the alcohol and makes for an enjoyable drink.

I really am glad I got to try this without shelling out $25-40 in a bar setting. I really loved it and was a great experience and may even look for my own bottles as funds allow just to be able to pull out on those special occasions.

01-13-2010 21:48:04 | More by weatherdog

Wisconsin

02-04-2012 21:02:48 | More by newk340
orbitalr0x

4.08/5  rDev -8.7%

I'm excited to finally get a chance to sample this one, being that it's the strongest beer in the world and carries a hefty price tag. The Utopias pours into my brandy snifter a wonderful golden, copper with hints of red. No carbonation to be found here. Sticky clear, syrupy lacing cascades down the side of the snifter. It's hard to find a resemblance to beer here, but I do love the color. Aromas are quite intense with caramel, vanilla bean, cherry, pure maple syrup and a heady woodiness that's a touch smoky. The alcohol is readily apparent in the nose. Lots of bourbon and scotch undertones are present as well. Quite amazing that this is in fact a beer and not a liquor. Lovely aroma.

First sip brings a sweet caramel/vanilla infusion across the palate with a cherry fruitiness as well. Maple syrupy goodness collides with woody flavors, butter rum and a touch of honey. As is flows down the throat the alcohol warmth goes all the way down as well. Quality bourbon and oak come to mind with each sip of this intiguing brew. A wonderful melding of flavors.

Mouthfeel is smooth, slick and sweet. It's 25% abv but there's no harsh alcohol burn to be found here, making it easy to swirl it around your mouth and really enjoy the flavors of each sip. This is really quite tasty and an enlightening experience to show just how far the limits of beer can be pushed. The high price tag will keep me away for now, but maybe someday I'll be able to snag a whole bottle of this for myself. Kudos to Jim Koch and Sam Adams for pushing the limits and thanks to blitheringidiot as well for giving me the opportunity to enjoy this rare treat.

02-19-2006 23:05:22 | More by orbitalr0x

Callmecoon

12-28-2011 00:22:02 | More by Callmecoon
Nature777

3.85/5  rDev -13.9%

I had the 2009 version of this on two separate occasions, both times I had the same reaction. Twice it was served to me in a one ounce shot glass for a high price. Me and my friends who also ordered it slowly sipped on this masterpiece after enjoying a few easier to drink beers.

This beer is something else. The alcohol content really defines this for me. It is actually pretty rough to get down. At 27%, it's more like a liquor than a beer. The flavor was almost wine like. It was think, but not heavy. It also had a twang of sweetness to it.

This is something to be savored. Definitely not to be drank regularly. I did find it hard to drink, despite that, it was excellent.

08-05-2010 08:48:03 | More by Nature777

11-14-2011 14:37:52 | More by Jason
tjthresh

Indiana

3.48/5  rDev -22.1%

Enjoyed on New Year's Eve 2005. Deep amber and copper with long legs (and burgandy lips). The aroma presents some overwhelming alcohol, with maple and whisky. Tons of maple in each drink. Oak and vanilla. You can feel the alcohol evaportating in your mouth. So over the top that this is no longer beer.

05-29-2009 13:56:29 | More by tjthresh
mctizzz

3.5/5  rDev -21.7%

05-30-2012 17:51:26 | More by mctizzz
badbeer

Iowa

3.9/5  rDev -12.8%

World's Strongest Beer

Is a dark, murky brown color with no carbonation and no head whatsoever, but with this high of alcohol I cannot punish it for that. Smell is of candy, burnt sugar, vanilla, and alcohol is noticeable (not surprisingly) in the nose. Taste is very strong, burnt sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and an alcohol is present but does not over power you as one might expect. Mouthfeel is thick an syrup-like with no carbonation, very smooth. Drinkability is tough to judge, it's good no doubt, but you couldn't possibly think of drinking very much. Definately worth a try in my book.

Much thanks to hero27 for graciously sharing.

05-05-2006 01:24:17 | More by badbeer
Hoops4life511

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks Mom and Dad for this fantastic graduation present. 2009 Bottle #11603, 2 oz pour into Reidel Utopias Glass.

Appearance - Viscous ruby hued brown, zero carbonation, amazing legs when swirled. Difficult to rate as a beer, but I'm intrigued.

Smell - Alcohol right up front, followed by some toffee, sweet maple, some dark fruit smells, raisin or something along those lines. Powerful and delicious smelling.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Taking a small amount and swirling it in my mouth, it is thick and warm. Alcohol tingle and burn precedes amazingly sweet maple syrup and caramel flavors. Vanilla and oaky notes linger long after each sip. No carbonation, but still very pleasant.

Drinkability - As expected from a 27% ABV beer, it is not one that will go down like water, but is very pleasant. In my excitement I poured myself a glass as soon as I received this and shared with my family. It was so pleasant that I repeatedly poured samples the rest of the party and shared it all around. So, not drinkable as the common beer, but in its own sense a very drinkable indulgence.

Overall, I was elated to receive this as a gift. I had stared at it for a long time, not wanting to part with the money. After the first taste I knew it was something I'd love to keep and let mellow, so I quickly searched out another bottle. Not as gimmicky as some may think, this is very enjoyable and highly recommended.

05-24-2010 21:13:12 | More by Hoops4life511
Samuel Adams Utopias from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)