Samuel Adams Utopias - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias

Wants: 1,090
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  29.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-09-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Utopias Alström Bros

Slightly lighter caramel coloring, but still rich. Has a sherry/amarone type nose and has a rich taste that for its abv, is remarkably balanced. I'm not positive if this is the best beer I have ever had, but nothing else comes to mind.

4.27/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

4.67/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.02/5  rDev -9.9%

3.73/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.83/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Totally worth the search for it

4.35/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.74/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I am new 2 all this but I've had some good stuff and by far I think this is the best of what I've had so far. It looks cool, smells great, and goes down easy just like I like it!

4.59/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not sure what I did to earn some positive beer karma, but I was at a going away party for a coworker on Friday night and suddenly the head of our company shows up with a brand new bottle of 2013 Utopias [record scratch]. I didn't realize before that the bottle itself is actually ceramic, with a metallic lacquer or something on the outside. Poured into a classic Old Fashioned glass, since--let's face it--Utopias is technically beer, but drinks more like a fine spirit.

Appearance (4.25) - Pours a deep ruddy brown that brings to mind brown sugar and molasses. The liquid has a fair amount of haze in suspension, with the edges taking on a more golden brown hue. There is zero head formation, partly because of the nature of the beer, but also because I poured it ever so gently so as not to be the jerk who takes an overly-generous pour. Lacing is completely nonexistent.

Smell (4.5) - A wonderfully rich blend of sweet aromas comes wafting out of the glass--caramel, molasses, brown sugar, vanilla, graham cracker and even some notes of sherry and port are all present. Alongside the sweeter overtones is a complementary base of dried leather and moist tobacco as well as some nice woody notes to prevent the aroma from being cloyingly sweet.

Taste (4.75) - Upon first sip, I can't decide if I'm more stunned by the decadent flavors or the fact that I can't believe how easily it drinks for a near-30% abv drink. I've had beers with a far lower alcohol content that were harsher to consume. Many of the same sweet notes from the aroma are again present in the taste, with emphasis going to molasses, vanilla and port wine. I also get some nice hints of brandy-soaked cherries that I didn't pick up on the smell as well as some candied plums. I have to say, the subtle notes of fruit are really what kick the taste up a notch from the aroma. It adds a layer of complexity that makes it dangerously easy to drink this extreme beer. Drinking something with 30% alcohol that costs as much as this one shouldn't be so easy.

Mouthfeel (4.5) - Body is on the full side of medium, with a nice viscous, mouth-coating feel that sticks with you and allows you to savor the blend of flavors long after the drink has been swallowed. Carbonation is extremely low--for all intents and purposes, it's nonexistent.

Overall (4.5), what can I say about this beer. Prior to having it, it's one of those beers that it's easy to remain aloof about--the price point is so over the top that thoughts of "how good could it really be?" come naturally. I've always wanted to try it--mostly for the novelty of a 30% "beer"--but also recognized that it would surprise me if the opportunity never presented itself, given that I wouldn't go out of my way to procure a bottle and probably would balk at the cost if one ever crossed my path. Now that I've had it, I can honestly say that I would actually have to talk myself out of buying a bottle if I came across one, and that in spite of it's high rating on BA, I think it might actually be underrated. It's just an amazingly well-done and envelope-pushing beer.

4.6/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Fine sherry with nutty notes, lite syrup. An exceptional beer and worth the hype.

4.73/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is the Samuel Adams 2012 Utopias 10th Anniversary
When this gets poured for you you know you are in for an experience
Pours a dark Ruby hue that is slightly transparent nose is a world class barley wine with candied dark fruits molasses and hints if vanilla
Taste follows smell lots of sweet dark fruits and boozy sweetness surprisingly the abv doesn't overwhelm everything
Mouthful is thin and somehow syrupy warms your belly as it goes down
This beer is a definite experience and I'm stoked to have had the opportunity to try something I wouldn't have bought for myself it's an incredibly smooth beer at that high of an abv that is surprisingly drinkable and to me tastes like a world class barley wine that had been age in bourbon barrels but the bourbon flavor faded away

WOW! Strong but magnificent! Split the cost of this with 2 other guys and we are sipping it over the next 6 months as it is waaaayyy strong!

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.31/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.98/5  rDev +11.7%

3.93/5  rDev -11.9%

4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

4.45/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.98/5  rDev +11.7%

Samuel Adams Utopias from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)