Samuel Adams Utopias - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias

Wants: 1,291
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  29.00% ABV

Beer added by: GClarkage on 07-09-2005

Reviews: 501 | Hads: 2,220
4.96/5  rDev +12.7%

2015. Had a World of Beer in Viera, 1 oz.
Smells like a strong whisky and an oak barrel.
Has a hint of cherry taste beneath the bite of the alcohol.
Looks very dark, like a fortified wine.
As for feel, the sting of the alcohol is noticeable when you hold it in your mouth for a second.
It was great, and 1 oz was just enough.

4.55/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Pours a thick and still stained mahogany with copper hues. No carbonation whatsoever, thick clinging legs.

Aroma- Amontillado sherry, Rhum Agricole, molasses, fig, date, very subtle vanilla, booze heat, oak, oxidation, anise.

Taste- Hits hard with cherry, dried fruit, vanilla, molasses, port, brownies, tannic wood.

Mouthfeel- Viscous, flat, sweet. Not as thick as cough syrup, but thicker than an powerful sweet vermouth.

Overall- Worth the price tag? Not quite but damn close. Very happy to have a bottle sitting around, and it really is like no other beverage I've ever tried.

4.84/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I only got to try half an once of this but it was super good, and the reps for Sam Adams brought it in and gave the staff a try, i dont thinkis worth how much we sell it for but damn it is a really good sipper!!

3.93/5  rDev -10.7%

Funny story how I managed to get ahold of this one. Helping out a buddy move his grandfathers shit outta the house he's leaving and the guy throws us a dozen bottles of booze for the effort. Looking throigh the bottles, I notice one looks a bit...different and almost familiar. Low and behold it's a 2007 unopenes Utopias that he never drank due to buying it, ignoring it, and realizing it was a beer and foguring the thing was wayyyy passed its day.

So here we go. Into a snifter glass, with three other friends.

Look - Pours a crystal clear amber without even a touch of head. Not spots, no rings, not even a few bybbles come to the top. The carbonation is very low, bubbles appearing to die midway to the top of the glass. Lacing shall not be a factor as there was no head to retain in the first place.

Smell - I almost feel I shouldn't be reviewing this. It has a nose dominated by something I've yet to encounter in a beer. Lots of vanilla extract and wood are there, with the alcohol smelling brandy like in nature. Brown sugared baked bread fresh out of an oven.

Taste - The alcoholic heat delivers swift and immediate justice. It isn't as potent as I expected, but it does give off a nice burn. Vanilla and woods are the dominant flavors and the rest have dropped off into the everblack from where there's no going back.

Feel - Very full and very hot immediately subsiding as it sits. Carbonation is nonexistant and the woody levels consume the mouth like you just bit into a table.

Overall - In MY OPINION this one is nowhere near worth the price point. Certainly glad I could give it a try, since I sure as hell wouldn't have paid for this thing. It is good, yes. It is NOT $200-$??? A bottle good. Nothing is. I think the rating average on this one comes more from ridiculous hype with mythic level rarity over the actual qualities of the brew.

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Feel like this one is more about the reputation than the actual taste. It's good but tastes more like a port wine than a beer. More of an after dinner drink. Good but not worth the reputation it has.

3.74/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

OH man........ I was eager to try this because of what it is sbd wa a lucky enough to have two different years. Had the 2014 which I would rate about a 2.5. Way to boozy and undrinkable. Also had the 2011 which was very smooth and balanced. Time does wonders for this beer. I am rating based on the 2011.

4.64/5  rDev +5.5%

2011 vintage. Pours thick and amber-brown with no head or carbonation. Smell is amazing with strong aromas of port, pralines, sweet alcohol, vanilla and caramel. Taste is much of the same with an exceptional port character. Thick and warming feel. If I was rich I would stock bottles of this along side my fine bourbon and scotch.

2011 vintage didn't know what to expect going into to it but was floored on how approachable it was at 27%. An absolute treat, the only way to describe it was like drinking an aged barley wine, really impressed on worth finding and crossing off the bucket list.

4.73/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2 oz pour of the 2007. The smells is a bit strong an boozy but for such a high ABV this drinks incredibly well. I could see myself getting really in to this. So glad to have tried this.

4.98/5  rDev +13.2%

When poured this beer was beautiful like that rainbow you see in a puddle in the grocery store parking lot from the drops of oil in it. Not being sarcastic...
The smell reminds me of that part in Harry Potter when Hermione is asked what the love potion smells like and she's overwhelmed by wonderful nostalgic aromas and notes that it smells different to everyone. That's how this smelled to me, but I'll try to be more specific: Light dark fruit (i know that sounds impossible but think yellow raisins), a little alcohol, and something like molasses but lighter.
It tasted like it smelled with the fruits and hint of alcohol and sweetness. It really reminded me of a very good fortified wine (like brandy/cognac)
The mouthfeel was that of a fine fortified wine as well; it was impressively full and "heavy" and rolls across the tongue like syrup (ok syrup is exaggerating, but it's very thick for a beer)
This is an amazing beer, but I wouldn't spend the money on it. I tried it from other people, though I would certainly consider chipping in for one.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

2013, 2oz. don't ask how much it cost me @ michael jordans steakhouse. 2 oz. was enough, was more like cognac doesn't seem like beer, very good worth a try.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Ray for letting me sample this.
2012 vintage.
Dark reddish-brown color, super viscous, obviously no head, oily coating all over the mini snifter. Smell of bourbony booze, caramel, brown sugar, touch of burnt marshmallow. Tasted like good booze combined with rich caramel, notes of molasses and vanilla, with some dark dried fruits. High booze % very well integrated. Thick, smooth mouthfeel, with hardly any burn. Just a small amount is plenty--especially considering the price--but I could definitely sit around and sip on this for a while.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2015 version into snifter, 4oz pour. I didn't know what to expect but I feel that this beer exceeded my expectations and I really enjoyed it. Smelled maple-syrup sweet with a lot of alcohol heat. Taste was very similar, dominated by maple syrup and bourbon with a good burn going down. Felt fairly thick for 28%ABV and it went down very smoothly, with no carbonation. Can't wait to try this again!

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Hard to rate as its such a strong beer. Really tastes like a liquor. Was pretty good though. Definitely worth a try if you drink liquor.

3.75/5  rDev -14.8%

If you can't find or afford a bottle of this, mix equal parts Madeira and Sherry with a splash of Marsala and you've got it. Each batch does very from the previous, so some are much better than others.

4.54/5  rDev +3.2%

Glad I had a healthy serving of this finally. A little strong for me - it appears Dogfish 120 is my upper limit! Fantastic as a liqueur, not quite top of my list beer-wise but excellent for sure.

I was on the fence giving this one a perfect score, since it doesn't have any true resemblance to beer, but more like a port wine, cognac, liquor combo type of drink. With that said all attributes of this booze conconction truly are amazing to sip a few oz. worth. Dark fruit, vanilla, slight smoke from wood, smooth finish like the finest of liquors. If you ever get the opportunity to try it, definitely do so.

3.41/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This isn't a beer. This is a dessert liqueur. Thick, sweet, very port like. The price tag is bogus. I'll spend a quarter and less of that on Founders KBS or Weyerbachers Sunday Morning Stout and then head to my local antique shop and but a nice bronze or copper decanter for my hutch that's cheaper and nicer then that Genie in a bottle looking crap you get from Sam Adams. In my opinion Sam Adams should stick to their main stream beer.

3.79/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2013 edition.

Is it worth the $? no.

Is this beer? Probably not.

Am I glad I tried this? Yes,

1 inch pour - nose - Fortified wine, sherry, port. No resemblance to beer in terms of carbonation (zero) - or taste. Taste - sherry/brandy/port.

Glad I tried but no way worth the cost, esp. at retail.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got a free sample in my local beer store. Definitely pays to frequent one place.

Appearance: Deep caramel with good clarity.

Aroma: Spices galore with a touch of alcohol.

Taste: A great mix of hot alcohol and a whole spice cabinet in one sip. Closer to top shelf liquor than beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium and tepid, which is no problem considering the ABV.

Final Thoughts: Amazing to have had the chance to try this. Albeit just one sip but I'd take another sip over half the mediocre craft beer taking up shelf space these days. Would I drink it again? In a heartbeat, given the opportunity.

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

2013 poured into a snifter. There was an aura around this bottle, a subtle glow; or, that could have been me glowing with excitement.

Look: Just like a ruby-black vintage tawny port. Thick "legs" around the glass. It looked sweet and thick. No head, though there shouldn't be because this isn't a carbonated beer. It didn't look like any beer I've had before.

Smell: Like over-dried raisins, slight hint of spices, some cinnamon. It smelled vaguely like dark rum, maybe a little like rum-raisen ice cream, lots of vanilla. Mostly it smelled like aged port. Slight hint of floral--maybe a tad spicy-- aromas consistent with Noble hops.

Taste: Aged port. Good thing I like port. The label said there's a hint of Noble Hops. There is no hop bitterness, some taste (very feint) consistent with Noble hops. It is a LOT of flavor. Take a port and boil/reduce it by 25% to strengthen the flavor. It's really malty-sweet, not due to it being under attenuated, but from the malt and lack of carbonation/carbonic acid to counter some of the maltiness/sweetness. It tastes over the top strong. I liked it, but a little went a long way.

Feel: Really thick, almost like syrup. The thickness helped the flavor linger a long time.

Overall: the recommended 2-oz pour would have been too much for me. I had about an ounce and it was plenty. After that and the taste was becoming overwhelming.

I didn't pay full retail for this and I'm glad because it allowed me to be more impartial. I think sometimes we overrate things we pay a lot for because we want to reassure ourselves we got our money's worth.

Keep in mind I'm reviewing the 2013 vintage and each vintage reportedly tastes different.

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%

L - Pours a dark burgundy brown, thickness coats the glass and virtually no lacing
S - Definitely HOT, but tons of dark fruit/vanilla flavors - incredibly complex brown sugar, tobacco and wood
T - surprisingly smooth and awesomely warm, completely coats the throat with sweet molasses and deep and rich sugars - overwhelmingly complex - like a smooth brandy - I'm not doing it justice for how many flavors are present here.
F - raisen/dates/prunes form a thick layer on the palate, warm alcohol but not overly hot like a shot - this is cool
O - hard for me to rate it against the IPAs I just consumed right before, just completely different but absolutely happy to have been given a chance to try it. The 2oz pour was the right amount for a night cap.

This is just perfection, if you like cordial-like flavors. From the deep ruby hue, to the warm, inviting smell, next to the way it just coats your mouth with deep, dark fruit flavors, I just can't get enough of this beer. A steep price, yes, but small pours and the look it brings to people's faces when you break it out make it a worthy investment.

4.75/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

10th Anniversary edition, 2012. Only had a few ounces, but it was more than enough. Rich and sweet, with boozy dark fruits and figs. Drank like a brandy or dessert liquor. Very nice though, unlike any other beer I've tried.

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

A dark amber / golden brown liquid, thick, with no carbonation and no head. It looks a lot like a darker brandy, with the alcohol sticking to the sides of the glass when you move it around.
The smell is incredibly rich, something between a bourbon, a cherry and a brandy (as far away from beer as I have ever smelled), blended with caramel, vanilla, raisins and, of course, alcohol, especially right after the pour.
As was expected, the taste is quite complex. Rich caramel sweetness up front, together with vanilla, toffee, maple syrup, notes of bourbon, a bit of wood and much, much more. Figs and other dried fruit right after that - raisins and dried plums - as well as dark cherries. A very nutty aftertaste, with different flavours unfolding after every sip.
The body is viscous and thick, and the alcohol is at 29%, yet this is incredibly pleasant to drink, much more than any spirit that I have tried.

Samuel Adams Utopias from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)