Samuel Adams Utopias - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias

Wants: 1,027
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  29.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-09-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Utopias Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

I've had this one twice, not sure what years. Something like 08 and 09. Although, I do not care for sam adams one bit, this was a rare treat to try. I of course would never pay to try this, but never turn down free samples. I actully had a large serving of this both times and enjoyed it very much. Very Dark and heavy. My bes comparison would be, a nice port that is less sweat and more of a bourbon flavor. Both of which I love, so this was right up my alley.

4.45/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2011 Samuel Adams Utopias

Cracked this beauty after finding out I passed the first step in my Engineering licensure.

Poured into the official Sam Adams Utopias snifter. From an awesome looking ceramic bottle shaped like a kettle.

A – Pours a very nice and rich copper color, almost a darker copper with some slight golden edges. Absolutely no head at all but definitely some nice alcoholic “tear drops” form on the side of the glass as it is twirled. Very nice looking beer? (4.5)

S – Wow. I was note expecting this nose. Sweet smells of Bourbon and molasses. Sweet slightly roasted caramel notes with very sweet and malty grain. Dark fruit notes with some raisins and some prunes. There is some slight vanilla and maple syrup as well. The nose is pretty amazing. Definitely some boozy notes. Ahh, sweet alcohol. Very complex. (4.5)

T & M – Very sweet and complex! Wow. I’m quite impressed because I didn’t know what to expect. I get some sweet bourbon aged notes. There is molasses, melty caramel and some slight vanilla notes. Maple syrup and raisin pop up during the middle portion of the beer. There was some slight alcoholic burn beginning in the middle and following the brew all through the end. However, this feeling wasn’t overwhelming or too hot. It was just warm enough to please the palette. The raisins really pop in this one and so do the slight vanilla hints on the back end. Mouthfeel is nice and oily, like melted syrup or honey. Very nice and smooth like velvety liquid goodness. (4.5) (4.0)

O – I was always kind off intimidated by the brew especially because I thought that for the price I would not enjoy it. I must say I’m very surprised, pleasantly. It is very delicious. I don’t know If I would drop the 150 on the bottle every time but I know that this bottle will last me a while and I will enjoy it thoroughly. Very complex, delicious and well crafted. Nice job BBC. Definitely my fave of your brews. (4.5)

Samuel Adams Utopias from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)