Samuel Adams Utopias - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  29.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-09-2005)
View: Beers (129) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Utopias Alström Bros
illidurit

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

It was pretty surprising to see Utopias on my local bar's beer menu. I was a bit hesitant to try another Sam Adams strong ale after trying the Triple Bock and finding it to be a mess of flavors that didn't belong together. However a sample of Utopias isn't something you come across everyday. The rarity and uniqueness of this brew pushed me over the edge, and past the price too.

2 ounce pour for $15 (!) at The Red in Santa Cruz. The bartender poured it into a kind of undersized champagne flute that I found to be very appropriate for the beer. It poured a deep amber that seemed to glow with light, as though by camera trick or special effects from a commercial. Very viscous for a beer, it left long thin legs down the glass after swirling. No head, no carbonation.

Aroma is primarily sweet molasses and caramel, with a distinct vanilla note. The booze manifests as a particularly oaky bourbon note.

Taste is a whirlwind of sweet and hot flavors. Chocolate, vanilla, and caramel wash over the tongue amidst exquisitely smooth booziness. Finish is buttery, almost butterscotchy. Obviously portlike although less fruity.

Mouthfeel is very thick but smooth. The alcohol blends with the sweet flavors seamlessly. The finish lingers for a long time, lending companionship to the slowly evolving warmth in the chest.

Considering the alcohol level, this is very very drinkable, but only by way of sipping. I'd love to have a bottle of this so I could pour a significant helping into a snifter and just slowly revel in the sweetness and warmth on a cold winter night.

12-23-2007 06:24:55 | More by illidurit
triplecoil

4.85/5  rDev +8.7%

Had about a two ounce sample of this last night at the Sam Adams' open house. Sampled in, what else, one of the brewery's ubiquitous Sam's tasting glasses.

Easily one of the best drinks I have ever had. Appearance was rich amber. The smell was strong caramel and licorice, while the taste was full of chocolate, some vanilla, and more caramel. Sweet, sweet, sweet. I think they really hit the alcohol level on the nose--there's no denying this is a super high ABV brew, but it is masterfully balanced. Mouthfeel was buttery. Finish was surprisingly malty; this was probably the biggest tell that it was a beer if you didn't know what you were drinking. In short, the 2007 Utopias is like a great port (and I've had some amazing vintage and tawny ports) but far more complex.

Along with the beer, they also had chocolate truffles made with Utopias. Nice touch, not to mention really tasty.

I came in to the tasting skeptical of whether this could really be a worthwhile brew. I left blown away. I could easily drink this every night in place of a good port were it not so cost-prohibitive. Simply put: excellent.

12-21-2007 18:04:34 | More by triplecoil
jneiswender

2.35/5  rDev -47.3%

Bought this beer at Blanchards in Jamaica Plain.

Packaged in a copper kettle bottle. Very attractive. I served some of this to some friends in shot glasses (no, we did not drink them as shots).

Smells of alcohol, vanilla, and maple.

It tastes like it smells and in that order. Nice maple finish as it goes down.

I was all about this with the 2005 version. I mean really talked this up to friends who themselves loved it. However, this version was a real disappointment. Flavor was consumed by the alcohol in this batch. Someone told me that this version tastes like a cheap port. After having this I would have to agree. Don't get me wrong. I LOVED the 2005 version. I paid a grip of money to get that version and felt it was money well spent. This version really bummed me out. I may be wary of future vintages from now on. I would say, taste this (if you can) before you buy.

12-20-2007 16:23:52 | More by jneiswender
sterstar1

Colorado

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

OK, wow. What an amazing beer! Knowing it's rarity and it's tendency to be gone quickly at the GABF, my buddies and I shot straight for the Sam Adams booth and this was our first beer of the day and by far the best. This beer is obviously big but it's complexity is amazing. There's very little carbonation but the mouth feel is excellent. It's very sweet but not overwhelmingly so. It was like liquid candy. Loved it. :)

12-18-2007 20:45:42 | More by sterstar1
Damian

4.1/5  rDev -8.1%

Drank a 2 oz. sample from a brandy snifter at the Sunset Grill & Tap, Allston, MA

Clear, crimson-mahogany in appearance with absolutely no head or carbonation. As I swirled the beer in my snifter, the liquid left thin legs along the glass (similar to a hard liquor).

The aroma was initially caramel rich and bready before turning sherry-like and complex. Peaches and apricots were apparent along with honey, wild flowers, almonds and traces of berries.

The taste was similar to the aroma yet a bit darker and more aggressive. Sweet, rich and fruity up front. Alcohol soaked raisins, brown sugar and an oaky quality soon appeared. As the beer moved along my palate, the alcohol became increasingly stronger. Apricot brandy came to mind. Eventually the alcohol dominated, trumping all of the more subtle flavor nuances. Sweet alcohol numbed my tongue and warmed my throat on the swallow and nostrils on the exhale. I could hardly believe this was beer. The finish was lasting and sweet, yet slightly tannic and woody, with the syrupy liquid coating my mouth.

If the aroma was comparable to sherry, the taste was definitely a port, and a good one at that. In fact, this libation more closely resembled a port than any other type of beer I have tried.

Sampling Utopias was definitely a unique experience. I would definitely spend the $14 again to do so. Congratulations to Sam Adams for not only brewing the strongest beer in the world but doing so with style and flair.

12-06-2007 03:24:59 | More by Damian
Traquairlover

4.63/5  rDev +3.8%

Let me start by saying this is so distinctive and though technically a beer, it pushes the limits so far, I almost think it should have a different category. I could easily see someone rating this a 1.5 or a 5 just depending on personal preferences. Personnally I like it a lot. One note: it is 27% ABV, not 25%.

Poured into a Reidel Vinum series port glass.

A = A beautiful clear caramel. Nice reflection of light. Coats the glass.

S = Complex smell with caramel, nuts, bourbon, roasted malt. Similar to a dry oloroso sherry or a top flight bourbon. Definite hints of the alcohol but not overpowering given the rich and full smells.

T = Buttery. This beer is incredibly complex. Very sweet flavors of caramel, bourbon, roasted malts, roasted nuts, honey all smothered in butter.

M = Luscious full feel, coats the mouth and stimulates all of the tastebuds.

D = A great drink to be enjoyed slowly after dinner. A good substitute for a port, sherry, scotch, bourbon, cognac, etc. However, it is definitely expensive and if that were not caused by its limited availability, I would say it costs too much for what it is.

11-24-2007 14:36:36 | More by Traquairlover
redneckchugger

3.3/5  rDev -26%

Poured into a brandy snifter
no head at hall, syurpy, reminds me of a coffee liquer
Smells of booze, caramel, tofee, bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark fruits
Taste is like a kick in the mouth, boozey, and complex beyond belief, all of the tastes in the aroma follow up, but with more intensity, the booze is a bit raw for my tastes, but this beer is 25%.
Mouthfeel is syurpy, thick as hell, and raw.
Definitly a sipper. A good beer, but not worth 100+ a bottle imo

11-19-2007 15:30:43 | More by redneckchugger
jasonjlewis

4.63/5  rDev +3.8%

I managed to get about 4 oz. of this at the GABF. I reviewed it on my phone. I will never pay to sample it straight from the bottle as I am not a rich man.

This beer doesn't come with a lot of head and lace, but that can't be expected from a beer like this. It has a nice dark and full color.

The smell is similar to scotch with some raisin, mint and licorice coming out.

The taste is surprisingly smooth. The strongest beer in the world is not overbearing, it's actually well balanced. Caramel comes out first with raisin and licorice overtones. Some mint comes out as the beer warms. This beer is wonderfully complex and I applaud the Boston Brew Company for making a well crafted beer this high in alcohol content. This beer is more than just 25% alcohol, it pushes the limits of what beer can do and I really admire the BBC for making it.

How could a 25% abv beer be any more drinkable? This beer is definetly a sipper, but considering it's 25% alcohol, it's a damn drinkable beer.

10-14-2007 23:46:12 | More by jasonjlewis
HumuloneRed

Oregon

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

This is crazy stuff! I’ve only had it at festivals like the GABF or NHC so I’ve never been able to sit down and try it! Thanks to the customer who brought some of this in for me!
The pour is a clear copper color with no carbonation and thick streaming “legs” on the glass as you swirl it. The nose is very warm and nutty with a lot of maple. The flavor has hazelnuts, vanilla, caramel, figs, and maple that finishes pretty hot, but not as hot as you would think. It defiantly is more like a port wine than a beer. Worth a try if you can get it.

05-01-2007 01:19:02 | More by HumuloneRed
drpimento

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

Shared a bottle of this last night at Bodega Brew Pub downtown La Crosse, Wisconsin. Poured with a lovely redish amber color. Very aromatic with sherry, caramel, walnuts, and hints of oak, rum, vanilla, and brandy. Taste was the same but thick with sweetness. Great finish. Satisfying. And so rich.

04-21-2007 21:40:04 | More by drpimento
rayjay

Hawaii

4.6/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Boston Beer Bob (from the commercials!); this was one real treat from one great guy. I've had some beers that resembled whiskey before, but this one really takes the cake. Carmel whiskey colored with a thin clear layer on top. No carbonation, but it's not really missed with the degree of complexity and appeal we have here. It's strongest note (both flavor and smell-wise) is maple sugar/syrup. The second strongest note is alcohol; it's warm going down, although not as warm as you'd think..it's strong, but it's also very gentle and easy to drink like a 50-year old bourbon. Carmel, smoke, bbq, peet, blond tobacco, malts, and old leather are all in there, but get lost within the vast universe of flavors.

Key points are: maple, drinkable, and delicious. Perfect for a cigar. Worth the money? Hell yeah, but I'm still not gonna buy one!!! Cheers!

03-27-2007 05:04:16 | More by rayjay
weeare138

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%

Much thanks to Tom S. @ Wausau Supply in FDL for this...
Review #1,200
Appears a copper, dark orange brown with no head, or CO2 present but none expected either from this after dinner treat. No lacing but streaky spider legs stick to the sides of the glass like syrup.
Smell is boozy, maple, vanilla, brown sugar, caramel, brandy, port, cognac, raisins, and nougat.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with alcohol up front and blasts of sugar, leather, and tobacco.
Mouthfeel is smooth, sweet up front, blanketing the palate, sugary, warming...a sipper akin to a nice warm brandy, or port.
Well done.

02-22-2007 15:25:50 | More by weeare138
ClockworkOrange

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks go to blitheringidiot for sharing this rare treat. 2005 vintage #06370. Poured into a small snifter glass. Appears a beautiful, clear amber red with zero head, carbonation and lacing. Smells of butterscotch, vanilla, and brandy. Tastes of butterscotch, sweet brown sugar, molasses, vanilla. Practically defines the word smooth. Buttery mouthfeel and like I said, no carbonation at all. What an amazing, wonderful beer. The perfect celebration drink for a beer lover. I am grateful I had the chance to sample this extraordinary brew. Thanks to Jim Koch for putting this out there. Excellent job BBC!

02-09-2007 19:55:43 | More by ClockworkOrange
Gatch

4.85/5  rDev +8.7%

Had this at their Dec. 19th tasting. The one remarkable aspect of the Utopias is that it is surprisingly smooth through the entire experience. Other than that, the primary taste notes are butterscotch and alcohol. Once it sits in the mouth, it seems buttery. But alcohol pretty much masks most flavors. The color and the smell was a brandy or cognac, which was expected. Overall, not really impressed but still great stuff. Everyone who tried it had a very surprised look and reaction, in a good way. I'm not experienced with barleywines, so I can't be the best critic, but this just didn't knock me off my feet like I heard it would.

Update: had a glass on NYE 2012 and must say, with developed beer taste buds, this is exceptional. Mind-blowing. So much better than I remember.

12-20-2006 03:24:31 | More by Gatch
jwc215

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%

Very nice container that it came in. Shared with friends after dinner last night. Treated as a fine cognac.

Pours ruby red with no head (as expected) and no carbonation.

Deep rich, robust aroma of maple and warming alcohol. It smelled like a maple-flavored cordial.

The robust warming alcohol had a tinge of a slight burning sensation at first. But, with the second and subsequent sips maple and a touch of nuttiness put the alcohol in the background. A maple/nutty cognac-like taste is the best way I can describe it.
It's malty and full-bodied.

It's exceptionally smooth. The flavors lingers for a very long time. This is potent, though easily drinkable.
Is it worth $150 - well, if you split the cost with four or five friends - for the once in a life-time experience - sure. Certainly not one to have alone anyway!
It's hardly a beer-like, but - wow - it sure is wonderful! Glad I had a chance to try it!

11-19-2006 18:05:29 | More by jwc215
objectivemonkey

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Finally found my notes for this one... one of those legendry beers that mostly lives up to its name. Into a snifter glass, pours black, viscous, no head, no lacing, no carbonation, just a thick black liquid. Looks dangerous. Aroma is strong, and I mean strong. Heavily bourbon, vanilla, heavy fruits, maybe some oak in there if i can sort it from the bourbon, very intoxicating, delicious. Taste is on the verge of overpowering, can't imagine going more than a snifter full of it. Mirroring aroma, heavy on the bourbon, really more like hard alcohol than beer, complex and fierce, but refined in every sense of the word, smooth and warm in the mouth. This beer is the answer to all those Boston BrewCo bashers, like the Jaguar wing of FordCo.

11-01-2006 03:50:26 | More by objectivemonkey
NeroFiddled

4.88/5  rDev +9.4%

I'm not sure what all of the interest in this beer was about. The alcohol, I guess. But that seemed gimmicky to me. To try to make the strongest beer in the world. Well, I guess that is something. And it's not overly aggressive either. But at least the bottle is gimmicky! Of course, you're paying for it! I haven't bought it myself, and I never would.

The first time I tried it I just happened to walk into d.b.a. in Manhattan and found Tony Forder and the Ale Street News gang tasting it. My response... "tastes like Triple Bock with a little more alcohol and a bit more character". And I'd stand by that today. But for my money I'd take the whole case of Triple Bock instead of the fancy bottle. On the other hand, you do have to hand it to the guys at Sam Adam's, as it couldn't have been easy to pull this one off, AND, on top of that it's really well done!

Rich. Satiating. A true sipper!

10-26-2006 21:08:31 | More by NeroFiddled
dedrinker

Kansas

4.08/5  rDev -8.5%

My Utopias was a 2003 - I don't know what the other people on this sight are talking about with their Utopias "MMII" and "MMIII" because they are not listed that way on the Boston Brewing Company websight. Anyway, I was lucky enough to come across a bottle of this stuff for free! Oh, but it was no accident by the way. So, it poured a nice copper with no head (not carbonated) smelled and tasted at first like a cross between tawny port and single barrel Bourbon. Repeated tastings narrowed it down to a monster strength J.W. Lees Harvest Ale, or a 10 year tawny, but with more burn. I shared this out with five other friends. We had all we wanted, and dumped the rest out the window (not kidding - it was free, and we had our fill). It tasted marvelous for a beer, but just standard for a good tawny port I bought for a quarter of what this thing originally retailed for. Why go out of your way to pay 120 bucks for something that tastes like a good 35 dollar bottle of port? Oh, because it was free (for me) that's why. Still - an amazing beer.

10-12-2006 05:30:16 | More by dedrinker
hungryghost

District of Columbia

4.13/5  rDev -7.4%

Had this at a homebrew festival, a generous soul brought a bottle to share. We all got about a shot and it was worth every drop.
Poured deep, dark copper brown with no head, carbonation or lacing.
Smells sweet, a little like brown sugar, some vanilla and an alcohol note.
First thing I tasted was maple, like maple syrup then some roasted caramel, woody/oakey, sweet fruit, like raisins soaked in port, all the while with a pleasant alcohol warmness that continues down into your gut. Each sip brings out something new.
Mouthfell is smooth and sticky, again like drinking maple syrup but not that thick.
Drinkability...Try it if you get the chance, I would again, but this is not a beer one drinks on a daily basis. Definately something special.

09-17-2006 15:20:48 | More by hungryghost
Golden2wenty1

4.15/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at the Great Taste of the Midwest. I got my hands on two samples worth (probably about 3-4 ounces) because my girlfriend wasn't a fan.

Pour: fiery, crystal clear amber/mahogany, no head of course, fairly viscouse in the glass.

Nose: can literally be smelled from several feet away, even outdoors in the middle of a crowd. Amazing notes of oaked bourbon, rich vanilla, brandy and cherry liquor.

Taste: tongue-numbing booze of course, at 25% you're essentially sipping distilled alcohol. A mix of vanilla-bourbon-oak aged brandy with notes of bourbon-soaked apricots, cherries and raisins. The most potent beverage I've ever sipped and enjoyed.

Feel: oily and slick, yet thinned and super dry due to the immense alcohol content. No carbonation to speak of. Burningly strong and warming all the way down the gullet.

Drinkability/Overall: an amazing experience that I am glad to have had a chance to partake in. Truly blurs the line between beer and spirits. Distinct and refined, this is the sipper of all sippers. Worth the money for a bottle? Not for a starving college student like me, unless I won the lottery, wherein this would become a staple in my liquor cabinet.

08-23-2006 02:05:40 | More by Golden2wenty1
Brewfan

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Ok, just to preface this review, this is a Utopias 2002.

This is my ast 3 ounces of my Sam Adams Utopias 2002, bottle #2166. Cost me $106 4 years ago, opened it 6 months ago, and it's still drinking a good as when I opened it.

Poured into my DFH longstemmed Raison D'etre chalace.

No head. No lace. None. But with no carbonation, that shouldn't surprise anyone. Quite viscous. With a swirl you can see the nape being left on the sides of the glass. The nape takes the place of the lace, slowly dripping down the side of the glass at inconsistant intervals.
Murky off brown color with dark orange highlights. Sits as flat as a pond at day break. No movement, save the last remaining drops of nape continuing on it's decent towards the beer.
Now, I have a fan at my back. And the beer is in front of me. 2 feet in front of me. And I can still smell the aroma of this beer, even without roughing it up a bit. Immediate alcohol bit on the nose. Almost burns the sinuses when I immerse my nose into the glass. I'm glad I went with a glass so wide, to get the full effect of the aroma. Heavy maple syrup, brandy soaked prunes, port reduction, vanilla, oak. No discernable "beer" smell, but what a smell.
Slight burning on the tongue upon the first sip. Chard oak chips, vanilla extract. Warms the belly from the get-go. Like a sip of good apricot brandy on a cold winter night. This being the middle of August, my belly was already warm, but it just got alot warmer. Heavy alcohol taste, over-ripe bing cherries. Very complex. I could sit here for a long time and keep finding different tastes. I'm sure that's what Jim was looking for in this "beer".
Viscous? Yeah, you could say so. Thick on the tongue, thick on the glass. Drinks like a cognac, and at 25%, it should be treated with respect. Not even your average sipping beer. This one is special.
Now, I've heard people say, "whoever spends $106 (or now $150) on a bottle of beer is crazy.". Well, they may be right. But ya know what, I worked hard for that money I spent on this beer. It is like no other beer I've ever had, or will have in my life (unless I get another bottle, which is definately not out of the question). It's an experience. Some people go to strip clubs and drop $500/night for something they won't remember the next day. I spent $106 on something I'll remember for rhe rest of my life. Personally, I think it's worth it.

08-08-2006 02:58:57 | More by Brewfan
gotbeer

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

This one pours completely flat with a rich color.

The smell is port like with some vanilla. The alcohol is evident, but not burning like hard liquor, and it lends to a warming sensation as you sip. There are tastes of vanilla, port, and there is a strong malt profile that is distinctly beer. I could detect some noble like hop flavors even if they were subtle. There is a lot going on with this very different and complex brew.

The mouthfeel is sweet and viscous. The drinkability would be as high as a sipper like this one can be. I would enjoy it far more often if I could find it and afford it. Superb and different.

I like how Sam Adams can still demonstrate a huge set of balls when they want to.

07-21-2006 22:16:01 | More by gotbeer
Hefe

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Dark amber pour with zero head. Immediately after smelling the question arises, is this beer or sherry? Smells like a good oloroso sherry with aromas of dried apricot, burnt sugar, vanilla, prune, maple, hazelnuts. The flavours on the palate follow through with a little more of a boubon overtone, and more than a little heat on the finish. Absolutley fascinating!

06-19-2006 19:07:46 | More by Hefe
badbeer

Iowa

3.9/5  rDev -12.6%

World's Strongest Beer

Is a dark, murky brown color with no carbonation and no head whatsoever, but with this high of alcohol I cannot punish it for that. Smell is of candy, burnt sugar, vanilla, and alcohol is noticeable (not surprisingly) in the nose. Taste is very strong, burnt sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and an alcohol is present but does not over power you as one might expect. Mouthfeel is thick an syrup-like with no carbonation, very smooth. Drinkability is tough to judge, it's good no doubt, but you couldn't possibly think of drinking very much. Definately worth a try in my book.

Much thanks to hero27 for graciously sharing.

05-05-2006 01:24:17 | More by badbeer
Erdinger2003

Iowa

4.03/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured without any carbonation at all with a thick brown color and a syrupy look to it. It still looks appealing without a head, but it still puts it at a disadvantage.

The smell has sweet burnt sugar with a very strong alcohol scent.

Tastes of sweet butterscotch, burnt sugar, maple syrup, and a slight vanilla flavor.

Mouthfeel isn't watery, it's more of a hard alcohol feel to it.

Sippable and enjoyable, I would enjoy more of this if it was free again.

05-04-2006 22:09:48 | More by Erdinger2003
Samuel Adams Utopias from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)