Samuel Adams Utopias - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias

Wants: 1,019
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  29.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-09-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Utopias Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a completely flat amber body. Yes I said flat and yes I gave it a 4.5 it's 27%.

Smells a touch hot with a sherry/ port scent.

Very sweet yet also very complex caramel, golden raisin, rainier cherries.

Slick, warming, and syrupy.

Well it was everything I thought it would be which was as my friend kingcrowing put it "tastes like a fortified beer." I have to say I am happy that imagineiii was generous enough to share this.

4.4/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Sweet copper bottle poured into a dogfish head snifter. 2005 vintage, huge thanks to imagineiii for sharing!

Very odd, this is flat and there's no head at all. But as a fellow BA pointed out it's more like a cognac, it's got mad legs. The color is very clear and amber and oaky very nice looking.

Wow, this tastes amazing, it's pretty sweet but it's not too crazy if you go into it thinking it's like a port or cognac. There's a very nice subtle maple syrup finish that is really nice. The alcohol certainly is present but I think this
Is a really cool "beer" and totally worth checking out if you can.

4.53/5  rDev +1.6%

Several samples of this back on 2/19/10 during the Beer Advocate Night of the Barrels event. These were poured from 2009 Edition bottles.

The pour looks mostly like a deep hazy brownish ruby color, with nary any head or lacing to speak of. Just a still surface that ominously stares back at you. Stiff heat shocks the nostrils at first but once they get acclimated, the flavor really starts to emerge. Notes of figs, cherries, molasses, vanilla, char, brown sugar, cocoa, and herbal tea. This is very rich, full, and complex in the nose.

This continues over to the taste, which just seems to explode up front, including sticky tones of caramel, molasses, wet tobacco, dark currants, brown sugar, wood, vanilla, and char all combine to set the mouth on fire with flavor. There's just so much going on here. The mouthfeel is flat and slick in the mouth like liquor, with the appropriate heat element being present. Just an INTENSE alcohol burn on the finish of each sip.

Right now, this was fantastic. Put a couple of years on this to mellow the booze out and this would be absolutely awesome. I'd imagine that the '07 is drinking pretty good right now. I may have to invest in a bottle of this down the line and see for myself.

4.58/5  rDev +2.7%

This was so graciously given to me by my wife's uncle as my wedding beer. I would have to say about a 4oz pour that I nursed all night. Also a month or so back beerwolf77 gave me a nice sample.

2007 Vintage.

A- Pours a chocolate brown that is relatively clear when held up to the light. No carbonation what so ever. Leaves a little bit of residue on the side of the glass.

S- Wow this one put me back in my seat. Nose burning alcohol hits like a ton of bricks. Then as you keep inhaling, scents pop up everywhere. Big hints of caramel, molasses, chocolate. Also, just the smallest hint of sweetness in there as well.

T- This is where the beer shines. If you only smelt the beer, and never got to taste it, you are doing an injustice. The heavy dose of alcohol is nowhere to be found. Rich caramel, brown sugar and chocolate. A nice sweet molasses and almost a butteriness. Bourbon comes to mind as well. Every sip makes me smile. For this beer to be as big as it is and hide the alcohol this well is impressive.

M- Just coats the mouth with every sip I take. Along with the thickness, comes the heat from the alcohol which actually goes nicely. Smooth pretty much sums it up.

D- I basically treated this as a fine alcohol that I sipped on for a few hours. Also because it was the only thing I was able to drink all night beer wise. I came in not knowing what to think but after having tried it I am thoroughly impressed.

4.9/5  rDev +9.9%

I have only tried this beer once and quite honestly it may be the very best I have ever tried. The presentation was amazing. The growler is entirely metal. The color was an nice amber in color.The flavor profile was not at all overly sweet, but instead consisted of fine malt (from the use of Caramel, Vienna , Moravian and Bavarian smoked malts). This was combined with a balancing refined bitterness all in perfect harmony, while finishing with a satisfying dose of warming, but not burning alcohol. At 27% alcohol by volume, this deceptively strong beer is better compared to a premium Brandy or exquisite Sherry as opposed to any beer that I have every known. Even though this beer was aged in Scotch, Cognac and Port barrels, it did not have the overpowering raisin or maple character found in the Triple Bocks. Everything about the Utopias equated to balance and perfect harmony. Dropping $150 to $200 on 24 ounces of beer seems a bit ludicrous, but at a world record 27% ABV you have to be getting your money's worth.

4.08/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: dark ruby, with crazy legs oozing along the glass with every swirl

S: like cognac, prunes, raisins, caramel

T: big and boozy, very port-like, with hints of nutty honey

M: bit like syrup, smooth and sweet

D: I can't imagine what a bigger pour would be like, though it would be great with some chocolate desserts and maybe some robust cheeses

Notes from 02.11.10 at Beer Palace in Oslo

3.7/5  rDev -17%

Sam Adams Utopias...
WOW...
The whole experience leaves you speechless.
From the bottle, to opening the bottle, to pouring shots of this reddish cognac, to smelling (terrible smell by the way), to having your first taste of this crazy monster of a beer.
We poured the beer warm as instructed.
The initial smell is not at all how it tastes.
The beer burns from the second it touches your lips.
Utopias surprisingly has a good flavor, but as for drinking large amounts of this beer it would be unrealistic.
Not only would you be broke but very drunken.
I am proud to say that I was privileged enough to have tasted this beer at least once in my lifetime.
After all of us tasted this beer we popped open a 7 year old World Wide Stout (DFH) to top the night off.
The world wide stout became flavorless after the Utopias, but much more drinkable.

4.28/5  rDev -4%

Review #100!

'09 release, first opened on Christmas.

A - Pours dark, clear brownish amber. No sign of carbonation, as expected.

S - Very sweet and complex nose. Maple, licorice, bourbon, oak, and honey come through the strongest. And of course, there's plenty of alcohol in there. Very enticing!

T - Spicy bourbon and oak notes dominate with sweet notes of maple syrup and honey smoothing things out. Some spicy notes of anise are present in the background, along with some port-like flavors. The alchohol burn is considerable.

M - Thick and sticky with a whiskey-like burn that warms you up instantly.

O - While it may be very different from what we would normally consider a beer, Utopia is really a fantastic creation. The complexity is overwhelming, and I'm sure it'll only get better with age. Worth every penny.

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks Mom and Dad for this fantastic graduation present. 2009 Bottle #11603, 2 oz pour into Reidel Utopias Glass.

Appearance - Viscous ruby hued brown, zero carbonation, amazing legs when swirled. Difficult to rate as a beer, but I'm intrigued.

Smell - Alcohol right up front, followed by some toffee, sweet maple, some dark fruit smells, raisin or something along those lines. Powerful and delicious smelling.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Taking a small amount and swirling it in my mouth, it is thick and warm. Alcohol tingle and burn precedes amazingly sweet maple syrup and caramel flavors. Vanilla and oaky notes linger long after each sip. No carbonation, but still very pleasant.

Drinkability - As expected from a 27% ABV beer, it is not one that will go down like water, but is very pleasant. In my excitement I poured myself a glass as soon as I received this and shared with my family. It was so pleasant that I repeatedly poured samples the rest of the party and shared it all around. So, not drinkable as the common beer, but in its own sense a very drinkable indulgence.

Overall, I was elated to receive this as a gift. I had stared at it for a long time, not wanting to part with the money. After the first taste I knew it was something I'd love to keep and let mellow, so I quickly searched out another bottle. Not as gimmicky as some may think, this is very enjoyable and highly recommended.

4.53/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: Samuel Adams Utopias pours a dark ruby-to-copper, oily in the way of a good cognac when the brew falls alongside the glass. No carbonation, no crown, but who needs it? This one looks enough "king" as it is!

Smell: vividly apparent alcohol, strikingly similar to mead in that its got a deeply sweet syrup-like and -- to a fairly lesser extent -- honey quality to it. Toffee-like notes intermix with raisins and adds a roundness to it all.

Taste: A fluffy sweetness and enchanting hints of raisin along with plums in rum. Somewhat peppery with a medium-mild sourness, which comes in halfway the sweetness, however is standing strong, and the two come forth almost as parallel experiences! A small, small amount of acridity in the sense of tobacco can be detected towards the end.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, almost oily as it slowly chugs forth like an old Mark I-tank. As I've mentioned, no carbonation. But it's rendered superfluous here as the viscosity is so overwhelmingly qualitative.

Drinkability: Obviously not the easiest of brews to down, but who said one have to rush things in life? In small sips Utopias does wonders for the palate, almost. On a side note: once again, very, very similar to sweet mead.

3.9/5  rDev -12.6%

Vintage 2007. Thanks Dan for the sample. Pours completely still into the tasting glass, a nice rich auburn hue. Aromas of maple, vanilla, cognac and caramel. Drinking this is more like sipping cognac than drinking beer. Lots of alcohol, but also vanilla, caramel, wood, toffee and brown sugar. Very complex and very delicious. Glad I got to try this one again.

4.9/5  rDev +9.9%

Four of us split the bottle so ended up getting a fair quantity of this titan and boy was I happy about that. Pours a hazy amber, no head. The aroma is awesome after a minute or two to let it open up. It smells very sweet, like maple syrup with a vanilla quality to it. The taste surprised me because of a few things. Firstly, the heat is prevalent as would be expected but not as much as you would think. It is covered very well by the rich, sweetness. The second thing that surprised me was the lack of bite. I expected a much bigger bite but that is not to say I was disappointed, just pleased by in different ways. It had a silky, vanilla-oak finish that sticks with you quite a while after each drink. There is no carbonation whatsoever which was expected for an after-dinner type beer that is to be served at room temperature. In truth, even though it is brewed as a beer, it has much more in common with a nice cognac. Very drinkable to those who like a heavier drink, goes down easy and would probably sneak up on you if you kept drinking it all night.

4.38/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to a very generous mcallister for allowing us to have more than what we paid for.
A nice clear copper, no apparent carbonation or head. Clings like cough syrup to the glass, it's still hanging there after quite a while.
Smell is complex, sweet caramel, toffee, honey and very boozy. Slight burn in the nose on a deep smell.
Taste is just like the smell, lots of deep sweetness, caramel, bourbon and honey with a lingering burn. It's dense and rich with a coating mouthfeel. Very smooth due to the lack of carbonation. Much more like a port than a beer and one I'd buy again if it sold for a reasonable price.

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured out of the beautiful copper brew kettle. A clear amber no carbonation, no head, no lace. Pours like a shot of booze.

Big boozy aroma, hot alcohol. More subtle notes blend in. Caramel, vanilla, cinnamon. Some wood notes give just a bit of smoke. Maybe a bit of maple.

Caramel notes, some wood and cinnamon. Lots of alcohol. Some slight deep fruity flavors. Really not much bitterness. Very complex, tastes like a port.

Medium body, no carbonation. Full of heat. Very complex, what a treat.

4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

Finally trying this beer. Liquid caramel colored wit no carbonation and resembling a tawny port.

Caramel, toffee, oak, hints of bourbon and brandy, dried figs and plums, dates, nutty characters, alcohol hotness in the nostrils. Sweet nectar inducing aromas. Very nice.

Tastes like it smells but with much more honey and it is quite hot. Very much like a good 50yr or older tawny port. Such big caramel and toffee flavors, good oak and bourbon really keeps things in perspective. Hugely complex. Light cocoa nib flavors, herbal tea, fig, date, quince paste. Thick, sticky and creamy a great beer but just way to expensive.

3.98/5  rDev -10.8%

I have had this "beer" twice. A nice 2 oz pour from a bottle of the 2005 vintage and more recently a 2009 vintage pour on tap at EBF.

While I fould the aged version more appealing overall, a bit smoother and easier going, I find this to be a difficult liquid to truly enjoy.

A-Deep, dark brownish copper. No head to speak of but, when swirled, it left thick viscous legs on the glass.

S-Alcohol burn, vanilla, oak, fig, plum, raisin all lying on top of a massively sweet caramel malt base.

T-Almost firey alcohol up front moderated (especially with the aged vintage) with notes cognac, vanilla, maple syrup, raisin, plum and fig. Caramel malt sweetness is less pronounced in the flavour profile.

M-Without question the best feature of this concoction. Liquid silk with an oh, so smooth, luscious viscosity. Maple syrup smooth.

D-I appreciate what SA has done here and find it to be VERY interesting but to actually sit and drink this...no. It is a novelty only. I will save my high ABV drinks and money for the likes of real liquors such as port, cognac, bourbon and Scotch. The aged version was certainly more palatable than the fresh version so maybe over time....I could see myself sitting down with a small snifter and enjoying it. For the price though....see my previous statement.

4.22/5  rDev -5.4%

My GF gave me a bottle of the 2009 for my birthday. Just ordered the free Riedel glass that comes with it so I had to try it with my Riedel wine glasses... poor me!

First of all, it's only a beer technically. If someone had poured this for me and not told me what it was, I would have had no idea what it was. Beer? Whiskey? Congac?

The first thing that hit me was not the appearance but the smell. I smelled it in the bottle as soon as I opened it and it reminded me a lot of samiclaus with the smell of thick super sweet maltyness. It smelled amazing.

I poured it into the glass and it appeared a nice deep carmel color. It was a little bit more translucent (like a scotch) than I thought it would be but it was thicker than any scotch. Great legs and maybe one or two bubbles?

I gave it another smell and was hit with the alcohol this time. This covered up some of the sweet smell that i got initially from the bottle.

The first taste was alcohol. Then sweet, then a touch of bitterness and finished with a distinct sour taste.

It is as sweet at samiclaus but with twice the alcohol which covers up the sweetness. The bitterness was very light with just a slight hint of wood and hops. The finish was distinctly sour which is why I only gave it a 4 for taste. I have had many sour beers but I felt like it was a little out of place here. My experience with sours have ussually been low ABV. Maybe I wasn't expecting it and it caught me off guard. It did however open up some other subtle tastes of vanilla and so forth. Also, I'm a huge fan of peaty scotches and IPAs and I do not like cognacs. The sour taste gave the beer a slight tangy taste at first which was nice and hinted at cognac.

In all, I have my own bottle and will have to try many more times and update this review. Next time I will know what I'm getting in to.

in the end, I had a huge smile on my face and my brain was turning. Look forward to the next try.

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

The hard part about reviewing this beer is that is not really beer. This is a science experiment by the Boston Beer Company and I salute them for it. How you can get 27% ABV from natural fermentation is absolutely beyond me. I'm sure some advanced techniques along with some mutant yeast strain and some prayer, but I digress.

When tasting this beer, don't think beer - think brandy or a fine scotch whiskey. It's got more in common with them than anything that ever came out of a keg. It is zero carbonation by design. Don't look for foam, there ain't gonna be any. Look at the deep rich color and the legs it leaves on the glass. It almost has a viscous quality as it clings and runs down. It's also served at cellar temps or even closer to room temp. Do not chill this.

The aroma is wonderful. There is a huge complex malt quality that blends dark fruit with the vanilla and spice qualities from wood aging. I'm not a big fan of wood aged beer, but with this, it is well done and very enticing. The alcohol cannot be ignored, especially at these warmer temps, but this only helps to really volatilize the intense aromas.

The flavor is not beer. Not even close. But, you can close your eyes and identify the beer-like qualities of the intense malt and dark fruit. The liquid is thick in your mouth and just completely coats your tongue. The body is humongous. The flavor is intense, sweet, alcoholic, and very complex. The combination of the malt and the wood aging has brought out some very high end brandy and whiskey like qualities. Sip slowly and savor.

This is a "beer" that is not for everybody. It is rare to find, hideously expensive to buy, and totally worth it to try if you ever get the chance. Remove your preconceived notions of it as beer. It's a marvel of brewing prowess and totally unique in what it is. I think the bottle, unopened, would keep for quite a few years and probably improve with age. I actually bought 2 bottles of the 2009 vintage and plan to keep the second one until at least the next release in 2011.

Prosit!

4.43/5  rDev -0.7%

We had tried it before at GABF 2009- we went back a few times in line for a few servings (especially because it's $200 a bottle).
But this review is from the bottle:
It poured a dark caramel brown. NO carbonation
It smelled like alcohol, bourbon, vanilla, mixed with some raisin. It tasted like a beer liquor- alcohol, bourbon, sweet vanilla, maple syrup, prunes, figs, malty and nutty. A true sipper after dinner warmer. Overall absolutely delicious.

4.08/5  rDev -8.5%

(2009 Vintage)

I received this as a belated Valentine's Day present from my girlfriend. Aw! She really does love me!

Look: Deep dark redish brown in color. Gold and mahogany both pop out at you when swirled. Its pretty neat (or just the lighting). No head or lacing.

Smell: Maple Syrup, Oak, Vanilla, Alcohol, Port, Sherry. Its all in there and it is amazing.

Taste: Warming alcohol at first sip, then you get to taste everything you smell. Very complex in flavor, its really interesting.

Mouth/Drink: Smooth but hot mouthfeel, obvious with the alcohol as high as it is. 2oz each time if enough for me. Enjoyable if you're a scotch or liquor drinker in general. Lots to be discovered in each sip.

3.95/5  rDev -11.4%

A: unique by any beers standards. Bright amber/golden color. Big legs on glass. No carbonation or head.

S: Wow, like a port wine. Heavy alcohol smell. Burned the inside of my nose.

T: All sorts of stuff going on here. Very complex. Molasses, vanilla, port all upfront.

M: Sweetness coated my mouth and then the booze came on strong. To strong for me.

D: If I was a cognac or port drinker, i would dig this for sure. However, I found myself wishing that I had a cold, carbonated, beer. I wouldn't have this again, however, you have to applaud the unique and daring lengths that Sam Adams has gone to with this one.

4.65/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks to DNICE555 for going many extra miles so that I was able to try this one out KTG weekend 2010.

2009 Edition poured into a Portsmouth tulip.

A: Pours a deep mahogany with absolutely no head or lacing, to be expected at 27% and without carbonation. Beautiful colors show up as its swirled in the tulip.

S: Beautiful with plenty of alcohol right off the start. Behind this, there is a lot of wood, vanilla, molasses, dark sweet malt, dark cherries, maple, sherry, and port.

T: Loads of alcohol. After the first sip, I got used to the alcohol and found the treasure trove of beautiful flavors beneath. Lots of maple, sherry, port, wood, and vanilla. All beautifully combined into an absolutely soothing beverage.

M: Very hot and medium bodied. Not too much of a burn. Not too sweet; complex and even somewhat delicate.

D: Supremely drinkable. The 2-or-so-ounce pour that I got was enough to last me a long while, and I kept discovering new things with each small sip. Next time around, I think I'll definitely grab a bottle of this to hold onto for a while.

4.93/5  rDev +10.5%

100th Review - What a huge beer to celebrate this milestone with.

2009 bottle. I was going to try to save this bottle for a while. I thought to myself, life is too short... enjoy it. I busted it open at the Hilton at KTG day with larsonstyle and Zapps.

A - No head no lacing, clear mahogany, Flat. Looks like bourbon.

S - Toasted malts, oak, vanilla, dried fruit, nuts, alcohol, so much going on here. A symphony.

T - Maple syrup, vanilla, alcohol, nuts, fruit, resin, Such a broad range of flavor yet each component is so focused and dead on.

M - So rich, huge flavor, no carbonation.

D - I'm so happy I bought this beer for $150. It truly is a once in a lifetime experience. I have never had beer like this and I will most likely never have one like this again. Worth every penny. I could sip on this one and enjoy a 2 oz pour for hours.

4.65/5  rDev +4.3%

I'd been watching for the emergence of this beer for while. it showed at a local store and I snagged a couple. Opened the first an a family event... my brothers are all serious scotch drinkers... Then shared with a few in my brew club.

First impressions... wow... is this really a beer?

We poured a dram (1 oz) into scotch snifters. Snifters are very similar to the glass Sam Adams commissioned from Reidel for this beer.

Room temperature. This is Not Carbonated. You can open it, drink a little, close it, save it, repeat...
(Note- the bottle has a twist off porcelain cap. Under that is a beer cap for first opening)

Color is a dark earthy brown or scotch ale

Nose is huge, almost overwhelming. Maple, Oaky. Maybe a hint of burnt. Reminded us of a port...

Taste starts with Fig and Burnt Caramel. Raisin Finish is undeniable. Flavors are real complex. Reminded us of Monks blood - then we broke out a Monks blood and discovered it was like water compared to the Utopias. Similar Fig overtones.

mouthfeel is thick. Like butter. Smooth and warm.

This is a sippin beer. After I poured, folks would sip it. set it aside. Drink something else. Come back to it. The taste really grew on me.

4.13/5  rDev -7.4%

The blended Utopia. I had over four ounces of this stuff and that was plenty. Beer is brown and hazy, no carbonation really, no head, no lacing. It looks about what I expected it to look like but on tap I was expecting more of an attempt at carbonation.

OK, the aroma is amazing. It smells like wood, alcohol, malts and liquor, like bourbon. It smells amazing.

Hmmm....taste....well to start the beer is medium to low bodied, there isn't any bitterness or carbonation to sour it out. Its sweet but not cloying at all, but it does finish really really dry and the alcohol is biting. It really is like sipping liquor not beer. Its plenty enjoyable but after four ounces I was ready to call it quits. I don't need anymore but I would try it again. Much better than the triple bock, overall a solid and impressive beer.

Samuel Adams Utopias from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)