Samuel Adams Utopias - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  29.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-09-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Utopias Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -8.1%

I tried this beer back in 2007. I was working at a store and my manager broke the neck off one of the 4 bottles we had on accident. The break was perfect. None of the beer spilled and it didn't get into the beer. I poured the remaining into a nalgene bottle and saved it until I got home for a more proper tasting. I like this beer because they are pushing the envelope and just the idea of what beer is and can be. No head at all completely no carbonation. Lots of molasses and caramelized sugars. Alcohol presence heavy, very very warming. It would make for a nice beer to enjoy during the heart of winter with good friends.

tippebrewcrew2, Feb 17, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

Vintage 2007. Thanks to Kevin for his generosity in sharing this both now and at a previous tasting! The beer is a red copper color displaying plenty of church windows. Aromas of cognac, figs, plums, and raisins tickle the nose. Tastes of raisin, brown sugar, and a glorious spiritlike alcohol character that is just delicious. The body is thick and smooth, even without carbonation the feel is delightful. High in alcohol, but scrumptious to have sitting in the mouth. This is a beer I would drink all the time if it were feasible. Outstanding beer, while some may have "beat" it in terms of ABV, they taste comparatively atrocious to this masterpiece.

vacax, Feb 14, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +5.8%

Utopias is one of those beers that you really want to try based on its novelty of its alcohol percentage, but is very difficult to find. Even if you find it, you still have to fork over a lot of money. I found a bar in Santa Cruz which had this on the menu, and it being a fraction of the cost for a sample, I had to go for it. 1.5 ounces, on to the beer:

The ruby amber color, with hues of orange, red, and brown make this a pretty thing to look at. Even my brother who was with me wanted to examine the color! The color was only the begining though. Inhale that aroma! It is strong, so strong my borhter next to me could smell it. But it is a heavenly smell. It smelled like the best Belgian waffles with maple syrup I could imagine. Vanilla and grapes are present as well. There almost no heat to smell, which is hard to believe.

Like the aroma, the taste is glorious. I would say its taste is even more complex. Maple syrup, grapes, and bourbon soaked wood are the most prevailent tastes. Raspberries, burnt sugar, and a little kick of alcohol add to the beergasm. It's not too sweet or boozy. Feels like fine liquor, and drinks like fine liquor. I could have had another dose if I wanted too.

A masterpiece. Ok, I'm not so sure if I'd pay three figures for my own bottle, but for a small dose at a smaller price, do what I did and go for it!

DoubleJ, Feb 07, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to thirdeye11 and ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle with me. Bottle 08291 of the 2009 vintage.

Pours dark amber with no head. The aroma is maple syrup, vanilla and caramel. The flavor is alcohol, sherry, port, caramel, vanilla and maple syrup. Thin mouthfeel and no carbonation. The alcohol is pretty hot as you would expect for a beer of this strength, but the complex flavors and aromas make the beer outstanding.

Mora2000, Feb 06, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -1.8%

More amazing generosity here from Kevin. I was definitely not expecting to try this one last night.

Review is from a 2007 bottle.

A: The pour is flat (as I expected), and a lovely caramel/copper color with a nice reddish hue to it.

S: The nose really has some wonderful things going on. Rich caramel, maple, vanilla, and a slight chocolate aroma that I really did not expect. The only knock on it is that the alcohol can burn the nostrils a bit.

T: While the alcohol is still of course very present on the palate, it's much more manageable. The maple, vanilla, caramel, brandy, brown sugar, and chocolate flavors are intense and absolutely wonderful.

M: While the flatness really doesn't work with most beers, I find it to be quite nice with this one. The body is absurdly full and rich.

D: I was honestly expecting to not like this beer. Once I gave it a sniff and a taste, however, I became a believer in it. And should I have a couple hundred bucks to spare, I would pick up one of these.

womencantsail, Feb 04, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

An awesome beer and a great experience to have for my 250th review, that culminates three years of BAdom and moves me up on the karmic plane of beer to disciple. Many thanks to thirdeye11 for the chance.

A- 4oz of ruby amber liquid into my Duvel glass. I was expecting a much thicker liquid, but no it's pretty thin, not much viscosity. Obviously no head or lacing (with no carbonation) but it's got some legs- thin trails going down the swirls of the glass.

S- Whoa careful where you whiff this beer- the smell is strong. For all the beers I've hated on for not having a strong enough smell this makes up for it all. My first impression is brandy. Then I smell brown sugar, dark cherries, dark sweet sweet orange, maple syrup, toffee. Incredibly complex. There is also tons of alcohol- burns off my nose hairs and stops me from just smelling it for the rest of the night.

T- In the taste there's more sweetness and fruit compared to the smell which had more liqueur, at least in my first sips. Maple syrup comes to the fore. Candied orange peel, tobacco, juicy vanilla bean pods, blueberries. I'm noticing the tobacco more and more, which gives it some Scotch notes. And like the smell the taste is incredibly complex.

M- Burn, obviously- it is 27%. I wish I could say that the alcohol is hidden but not really. The sweetness covers it up a bit but not to a great degree.

O- it's hard to rate this as a beer- more a liqueur. One of, if not the most complex beers I've ever had. Quite the special experience.

zdk9, Feb 01, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

Served in a Utopias glass at about 60-65F. 2009 vintage, opened a few weeks ago.

Appearance - tawny, no carbonation and no head (as expected). When I swirl, the liquid sticks to the side of the glass.

Smell - sweet. Not boozy - I'd expected it to smell and taste hot, but it smelled instead sweet - a bit chocolatey. A bit of raisins too.

Taste - Sweet. Less boozy-hot than many beers half its strength. Thick, complicated but balanced. A bit of vanilla, a bit of port, and maybe a bit of macadamia.

Mouthfeel - warming, sweet without being cloying. It's always what I'd imagined scotch or whiskey would be - not burning, complex, a bit like port, sweet.

Drinkability - I'm going to try to pick up a bottle every other year. If it cost $50 and were always available, I'd always have some on hand. A couple ounces after dinner makes a wonderful nightcap.

Big thanks to Bryan Brick at K&L for getting four bottles into their shop in Redwood City, California.

mlaroche, Feb 01, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -9.6%

Great surprise Christmas present from my wife. 2009 vintage.

Served in a Utopias glass. Pours thick and syrupy, a slightly reddish copper, leaves some nice legs on the glass. No head or carbonation, as advertised.

Aroma is strong of alcohol and sweet brown sugar and maple syrup. Flavor is largely similar with some dark fruits showing through. Alcohol heat and spiciness come through in the middle and some faint hop flavors in the finish. Reminds me of a nice port wine.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. I guess I wouldn't call this drinkable because of the ABV (and cost), but I am wanting more.

My 100th review. Yay!

mjaskula, Jan 30, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +5.4%

I has the oppertunity to try this for free from a friend of mine sharing some that was shared with him.

This beer is truly extreme and epic

It poured a clear deep golden light amber color with no carbonation.

Smells like a harsh hot liqour. Very intimidating for me.

BUT THE TASTEIS AMAZING!!!! It was so easy drinking and flavorful. It was a 2005 addition so the flavor and mouthfeel was totally different form the smell. I got dark raisins and pruns mainly. Very simple. But I wanted to drink the rest of whatever was left, but I couldn't... :(

so very glad I was able to try it.

hoplover82, Jan 26, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -1.8%

Not really a beer I'd ever considered trying to get, then happened to come across it this year (2009) the day it arrived in my area, so, what the heck... a couple ounces poured into and sipped out of a Sam Adams Utopias Riedel glass.

Not a difficult beer to review in and of itself, but challenging because many of its characteristics need be considered outside of the average 'beer.' I find myself wondering if that inflates my rating, but I'm not so concerned given the unique nature of the beer.

Appearance- No excessively attractive 'beer' qualities other than color. No head or lace, obviously, but the legs on it are quite nice, reminiscent of a high abv wine. Viscosity with lack of carbonation hints at the after-dinner quality more common in a port or maybe sherry. The color is the highlight for me, rather attractive at a deep caramelly brown with lots of red and amber highlights.

Nose - The aroma is rather heavy, laden with notes of sugar and overripe dark fruits (prune, raisin), with a strong undercurrent of bourbon. Some light vanilla and caramel, maybe even a hint of coconut, but all likely present from the bourbon influence. Perhaps something woody like a greenish oak in there. Overall nose is familiar to high abv well aged beers, but this one has a characteristic nostril-warming alcohol presence beyond most.

Taste - Flavor is really about what I expected, though not in a disappointing sense. Very nicely arranged, strong and full, but not heavy or out of balance. Kind of like rum-soaked raisins dipped in butterscotch, it really presents overripe fruit forward in a syrupy caramelly sweetness. Almost a raw cocoa going into the bourbon finish, followed by some fumes of bourbon (and all that goes with it - caramel, vanilla, toasted coconut, etc.) with only a mildly resonating alcohol. Leaves a sticky sweetness on the lips and a lingering kiss of vanilla in aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - For me, this is where this beer adds up. It is as I expected for the 27% alcohol, but with an even nicer balance of ability to enhance the flavor and experience without any detraction from it. Smooth in body, almost sticky and full like syrup. Alcohol sharpness cuts the feel and actually makes it much more palatable.

Drinkability - I suppose if you had to factor in cost of consumption along with abv, this really isn't a very drinkable beer. Except that, in reality, it is - though certainly as it was intended to be consumed. In sipping, it's easy to enjoy, very similar again to a port or sherry, though in its own way, more complex and a little tastier. Smooth and balanced, it certainly is a great concoction worth the try. Looking forward to sipping this bottle over some time to come.

lightindarkness, Jan 26, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +10.5%

Purchased from a generous BA from MN (thanks mothman) since I can't buy it here in OH.

A - Poured in my Utopias glass, appears a very deep copper with no head (no carbonation).

S - Dark fruits/raisins and alcohol. I'd be truly impressed if they managed to hide the 27% abv.

T - VERY SMOOTH. Alcohol is hidden nicely until the after taste. Just like the smell would imply, getting some dark fruits from this.

M - Above average for an American Strong Ale.

D - It's a sipper. Don't be stupid! For Jebus Christ sake, it's 27% abv! Don't drink a pint!!!

tburkhart, Jan 25, 2010

I have the rare opportunity to compare and contrast two vintages of Utopias (2007 & 2009). Thanks to my loving wife for understanding such an extravagant set of purchases!

Appearance:
Poured ~1 oz servings into side by side Riedel Utopias glasses.
2007 - Amber gold, no carbonation, syrupy film coats the glass.
2009 - Similar characteristics but slightly darker amber in color.

Smell:
2007 - Warm maple syrup and butter, caramel, walnuts, oak, warm but not of alcohol. Very intense but mild and smooth.
2009 - Again, similar characteristics but has a slightly denser nose that is less sweet.

Taste:
2007 - How can this be even considered as anything but perfect? Nearly identical to the smell but so much more intense. The flavors are so well balanced between the sweet and savory while being both light and dense at the same time. The alcohol is obviously there as it warms down your throat but never do you actually taste "alcohol." My favorite part is the intense mental image of pancakes with whipped butter and real maple syrup and walnuts.
2009 - Absolute bliss as while they are both the "same" "beer," they are distinctly different and both incredible. The 2009, with it's darker complexion has a bit more oak but is somehow lighter on the tongue as there may be a detectable carbonation. The flavors are slightly less sweet but equally balanced in every way as the 2007.

Mouthfeel:
2007 - Sipped so slowly, trying to pull every hint of flavor out of this beautiful liquid, the body is creamy smooth and thick with a sticky coating last long in the mouth. The flavors lend to being light on the palate so while the flavors are strong they do not change over the course of the drink.
2009 - The same syrupy sweet consistency coats the mouth but with a hidden lightness from a nearly imperceptible carbonation.

Upon initial opening of the 2007 vintage (nearly 9 months ago), it had the same perception of possible carbonation but as it has waited in it's bottle, it has not lost any attractiveness.

Drinkability:
This it truly the most intense and enjoyable beer experience I have had. Both brews are equally enjoyable and I will refrain from picking a vintage to prefer as I honestly don't know. In either case, I cannot think of a beverage (of any type) that has had as much impact on me.

Comment:
I have to say that Utopias is well out of my day-to-day price range, even if I could find it (I will not disclose my seller as I don't want to cause a stampede). I was first let into the know of Utopias by a co-worker of mine who has to this day, not found a bottle of for himself. I almost feel bad...

CRichardsMN, Jan 25, 2010

2009 Vintage

Appearance: Poured a golden amber color with no head at all. You could tell it was thick and syrupy.

Smell: Had nice hints of maple, caramel and vanilla. Smelled very cognac like to me.

Taste: Wow. Again very cognac and bourbon like in its flavor. I could taste hints of maple syrup, vanilla and caramel which was present int the aroma as well. A bit raisin-y(is that a word) as well.

Mouthfeel: syrup-y with no carbonation at all.

Drinkability: I was truly shocked. I thought this beer was all hype but after trying it I change my mind. Not sure I'd pay $200 for it but it was great.

Beerbuddha, Jan 22, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -1.8%

A beer like any other beer? The Temecula Valley Homebrewers Association was lucky enough to have a representative from Sam Adams come to our meeting last night a bring a bottle for sharing. Unfortunately I was the last person to get about 0.25oz of this delicious beer.

A. A dark brown with ruby highlights, very clear. No carbonation, no head

S. Bourbon, Alcohol, Vanilla, Chocolate all come though in this beer.

T. Wish I could have gotten a bigger taste, but when 40 people are attempting to sample from one bottle what do you expect! The first taste you can tell this beer has some high alcohol to it. This was the latest version and could perhaps mellow with aging. Lots of Bourbon notes with some underlying chocolate/vanilla tones. Very sweet

M. No carbonation gave the beer a heavier mouthfeel then if this same beer had been carbed. No astrigency, some fusels.

D. Wonderfully drinkable, wish I could have had an entire glass of this beer to really sip and enjoy.

HoldensHomebrew, Jan 20, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -7.4%

A - Room temp, poured into the Riedel glass. Brown, chestnut look. No head at all. No lace at all. Big ass legs, however.

S - BOOZE, nuts, prunes and other dark fruits, burnt sugar.

T - Yawzah. Sweet, alcoholic, harsh, dark fruits, nutty, crazy.

M - Pretty heavy mouth. No carb. Balance on this is hard to discern.

D - Poured 3 oz. Probably enough for now. Excited I have more.

srandycarter, Jan 17, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +5.8%

Ripped shots of this the other day at the bar. Thought it was ok, but definitely not worth it for the price. Poured a pale straw color with about three inches of white head. Smell was definitely of lemons with a metallic twinge. Looked weak in the shot glass. The first shot tasted a bit like rotten oranges. Ugh. Gross stuff. Luckily for the next two shots, we freshened this stuff up with some Kamchatka vodka ($10 for a handle, what a deal!). That made it a bit more tolerable, at least it got us drunk.

Just kidding.

I've wanted to try this stuff for a long time, and had basically decided that I would never get the chance. Damn it is tasty stuff, though. Maybe it's not exactly like a beer, but it definitely has beer-like characteristics. Many thanks to Josh, alleykatking, for a taste of this 2009 vintage.

Pours the color of maple syrup, deep copper brown-ish with no head. Has some legs on it too. Not especially beery, but with the bottle, this looks great. Smell was definitely robust, but a bit boozy for me. Raisin, syrup, vanilla, but good too. Taste is just exceptional. Little or no alcohol burn, tremendous vanilla, raisin, wood, figs, dark fruit, maple syrup, bourbon-y flavors, and a bit of malt in there too (reminds me that this is a beer). MF is a bit light, like a liquor, but smooth smooth smooth. Drinkability is exceptional considering the ABV. Definitely one of the best beers I've had, although not sure I could shell out the price for it.

Thanks again and many cheers to Josh for letting me sample this treat.

LordAdmNelson, Jan 15, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Gonzoillini for bringing this over to our tasting.

2009 Vintage

It was about a 2oz. pour into a nicely shaped mini glass that seemed perfect for a beverage of the sort. It was a deep ruby burnt brown color with legs that stayed on the edges of the glass for longer than I had ever seen. Just by looking at I could tell this is unlike any beverage I have ever had.

It has a similar aroma profile to cognac or a nice scotch but much sweeter and with a more robust fullness to it. Not nearly as much alcohol in the nose as I would have expected, I've smelled other 10-15% ABV beers with more burn. It was quite nice and just so rich I couldn't wait to taste it.

It drank like a brown sugar, bourbon, cognac mixture but with such a full body behind it. It was suggested to me to look for a little soy sauce character. I searched and got just a little bit of it but not enough to have pulled it out on my own and what I did taste was more complimentary to the taste than detrimental. It is easily the most complex thing I've ever tasted and every place in your mouth picked up a different character. When it was left in my mouth long enough I got a little alcohol burning sensation on the top of my mouth but not as much as I would have expected. It was truly a wonderful drink.

It was so smooth I couldn't believe it. I'm really glad it is served flat as carbonation would have been distracting. The 2 oz. I had were the perfect size and any more would have been filling. I'm giving it such a high drinkability score as it is well over twice as drinkable as the cognacs and whiskeys I have had. I figured halfish the ABV should be about twice as drinkable. The full bodiedness of it masks the alcohol and makes for an enjoyable drink.

I really am glad I got to try this without shelling out $25-40 in a bar setting. I really loved it and was a great experience and may even look for my own bottles as funds allow just to be able to pull out on those special occasions.

weatherdog, Jan 13, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

Small ounce or so pour, courtesy of a local distributor rep.

Pours a bright golden amber with lovely long legs. Completely flat.

Aromas of golden raisins, maple, brown sugar that is somehow 'clean,' highly oxidized fleshy apples, butterscotch, alcohol, and God only knows what else. Smells a lot like a well-aged English old ale, intensified.

Smooth and rich on the palate, showing the same notes as the nose. Alcohol is warming but not hot or boozy, quite an accomplishment for a beer of this caliber. Certainly a sipper, in any case. An absolutely beautiful beer, one not to pass up if given the opportunity.

Not as un-beer-like as many BAs seem to think. Big and complex and certainly unique, but fits relatively well under the strong ale / old ale umbrella.

wnh, Jan 11, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +9.9%

While at the Flying Saucer in Garland, Texas a friend and I ordered a 2oz. taster of the Samuel Utopias. They advertised the tasters for New Years Eve, however we tried it several days later. We wound up getting probably 4-5oz. in a snifter, which delighted the hell out of us.

A. Dark, ruby color. Almost no carbonation at all. Syrupy, but not as much as I have seen in other beers other this style.

S. Because of the high alcohol content, you need to treat this as if it were bourbon or brandy. Keep your mouth slightly open as you sample the smell of the beer to really gather in more of the notes and avoid burning your nose hairs.

The smell to me was right off very buttery with lots of caramel. Very robust and complex, yet at the same time not totally overpowering.

T. Caramel and raisins. From here it turned to joyful bliss and nirvana.

M. A little syrupy, but not so much as to be a nuisance, just right. Almost immediately coated my tastes buds with a lasting and delicious finish.

D. Well, it is 27% ABV, and it is quite pricey. For a taster it cost us $25.00! However this a wonderful beer for anyone who has the funds and appreciation for what it is. This is one you have to try at least once.

JamesC7625, Jan 09, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -7%

A: Pours a nice chestnutty carmel color with only a few bubbles popping up.

S: Caramel, soy sauce, port, brandy, cognac with a hint of a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick or a slight alcohol burn however you want to look at it.

T: Much like it smells. Many liquors from the barrels are evident. Big caramel maltiness some port, brandy, cognac.

M: Still with a full body and light creaminess.

D: surprisingly well for the ABV. Definitely a sipper. This was split amongst a small group. Definitely the way to go with this one.

drgonzo3705, Jan 09, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Review 300. 2009 vintage. This beer is difficult to pinpoint as it is not really like anything else I have had in the beer world. But with that said...here goes nothing. Poured 3oz glass.

A- Pours a clear deep copper amber color. This beer has no head which I expected. No lacing which once again I expected. Swirling it around in the glass I could see it coating the sides of the glass I used.

S- This is a very complex beer to sniff. There are a lot of hot alcohol qualities in this beer. But under that there is a light hint of vanilla along with some oak. Sweet caramel malts are in here along with a slight soy smell. Bourbon hints here and there as well.

T- Interesting beer to sip on. Overripe fruits tossed into a caramel sweetness is the first upfront flavor I get. This tended to go right into a bourbon style alcohol taste along with the hints of vanilla, some woody flavor, and a light sugary sweetness. Light burn throughout I thought. This is a monster of a beer which I am not sure if it could be actually called a beer.

M- Heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is well...not really there at all...dead flat. Alcohol and a sugary sweetness is left on the palate and in the aftertaste. My lips had the same two things left on them after each sip. It's hard to say the beer was crisp or clean with the alcohol in it being so high. Dryed the mouth with each sip.

D- Nice drinkable beer at 3 to 4 ounces. Anything more than that and I think I would have a problem. This beer isn't made to be drank in huge amounts. Very interesting beer to say the least which I am glad I got to try. I don't think it was worth the price I payed (overall) but I went in on this with a couple of friends. Worth trying at least once in your beer drinking life.

alleykatking, Jan 08, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -24.9%

To be honest I was not too impressed with this beer. While I am a Samuel Adams fan, this beverage did not hit it with me. First off, its very expensive which is the biggest turn off. Second, it drinks closer to a tawny port or port wine, maybe sherry. In some cases it's not classified as beer because of it's fermenting methods, and ABV Levels. Good taste, very good for sipping on. Don't get me wrong, it tastes great, it just doesn't remind me of what a beer should be. Plus, it's not worth the money.

StevenBilodeau, Jan 07, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -0.7%

2009 vintage

Pours deep tawny in color with no head. Get a nice sized sample because when you swirl it about half of it sticks to the sides of the glass.

This is one of the best smelling beers i've encountered. It reminds me of a nice stack of pancakes with melted butter and hot maple syrup on top. Raisin, alcohol, and vanilla come out as well. I'm sure there is a lot more going on in here that I can't pick out.

The flavor is a little more bourbony to me, not quite as strong, showing the maple, brown sugar, and vanilla notes. No carbonation, it doesn't need it, and a just slightly syrupy mouthfeel. Very rich and complex, one bottle of this could be shared with about thirty people.

This is a great beer that everyone should try if given the opportunity. If you find one, try to have a few friends go in on it with you and it'll be more fulfilling and won't bruise the old wallet quite as much.

brownbeer, Jan 07, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +3.8%

The best of traders, largadeer, saved a couple of oz of the 2009 release for me. Thank you, Chris

The pour is quite excellent, a beautiful reddish brown color with immaculate legs. The snifter really shows this beer off.

The nose is rich, deep and complex. A blend of caramel, maple syrup, toffee dominate, but behind it, there's no mistaking the vanilla. The alcohol is quite dominant too, lending a spicy character. Mellow oxidation is noted, with a pleasant soy-like character. Fruity and vinous, this beer is like a blend of a liqueur and a port.

The palate is pretty amazing. Rich and complex, all the flavors on the nose are replicated, with the vinous character being boosted. Vanilla, maple, caramel, toffee, dates are all noticeable, and the fruity vinous character is just outstanding. While sweet, this is far from cloying, with the noticeably high alcohol helping to cut through the sweetness. A little hot on the finish, but it's thoroughly appropriate for a beverage like this. As expected, the tannic character is low. The oxidation I picked up on the nose isn't as noticeable too. Big in body with non-existent carbonation, this beverage is remarkable. I'm glad I got a chance to revisit this beer, I'm definitely picking up a bottle at the next release, price be damned. This is just too unique to pass up on.

*** Original review dated 01-28-2008 ***
Boy, I'm grateful i work with the people i do. We brewed beer today and my co-worker brought out a bottle of this year's Utopia(2007)!

A: It looks gorgeous, a deep ruby red with no carbonation. Swirling the glass revealed gorgeous legs. 4.5/5

S: Caramel, toffee, maple syrup. I smell some grapes too. This is a very different beer (You can't stress that enough) - more reminiscent of the port i had on new years than any beer i had. 4/5

T: Same as the nose with a mild nutty flavor. The alcohol is definitely present 4/5

M: Similar to a port or a dessert wine - thick, sweet and a sipper4/5

D: How do you rate the drinkability of this beer? A couple of ounces after a meal is all you really need. In that respect - it's good. 4/5

DefenCorps, Jan 05, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is an ego-project for Jim Koch. He and his comrades really challenged contemporary beer. Many tasters would probably compare this to a cabinet liquor to be poured over ice, however when you label it beer your mind starts to search and eventually locate the characteristics of a brave brew.

The smell was by far the best part of the beer. It smells of smokey oak vanilla. The taste is foreign for beer. It is very sweet, and heavy. You immediately pick up on the caramel and finish with burning sensation, similar to that of whiskey. The flavor reminds me of my Aunt Ethel's Christmas rum ball cookies. They were not her best, but we ate them. This is not for a weak-palate. Do not be afraid to move around in your mouth. The syrupy texture sticks and resonates in your mouth to cause a true flavor explosion. My advice is to drink this beer as directed. Two ounces at a time, once a decade.

I am sure many main stream beer drinkers would like take a shot of Utopias and chase it with Bud Light, or even drop a shot of this into a pint of Guiness, but please hold back the fratboy-horses and enjoy the complexity of this beer.

dpg02633, Jan 02, 2010
Samuel Adams Utopias from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)