Samuel Adams Utopias - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias

Wants: 1,027
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  29.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-09-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Utopias Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev -8.5%

(2009 Vintage)

I received this as a belated Valentine's Day present from my girlfriend. Aw! She really does love me!

Look: Deep dark redish brown in color. Gold and mahogany both pop out at you when swirled. Its pretty neat (or just the lighting). No head or lacing.

Smell: Maple Syrup, Oak, Vanilla, Alcohol, Port, Sherry. Its all in there and it is amazing.

Taste: Warming alcohol at first sip, then you get to taste everything you smell. Very complex in flavor, its really interesting.

Mouth/Drink: Smooth but hot mouthfeel, obvious with the alcohol as high as it is. 2oz each time if enough for me. Enjoyable if you're a scotch or liquor drinker in general. Lots to be discovered in each sip.

3.95/5  rDev -11.4%

A: unique by any beers standards. Bright amber/golden color. Big legs on glass. No carbonation or head.

S: Wow, like a port wine. Heavy alcohol smell. Burned the inside of my nose.

T: All sorts of stuff going on here. Very complex. Molasses, vanilla, port all upfront.

M: Sweetness coated my mouth and then the booze came on strong. To strong for me.

D: If I was a cognac or port drinker, i would dig this for sure. However, I found myself wishing that I had a cold, carbonated, beer. I wouldn't have this again, however, you have to applaud the unique and daring lengths that Sam Adams has gone to with this one.

4.65/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks to DNICE555 for going many extra miles so that I was able to try this one out KTG weekend 2010.

2009 Edition poured into a Portsmouth tulip.

A: Pours a deep mahogany with absolutely no head or lacing, to be expected at 27% and without carbonation. Beautiful colors show up as its swirled in the tulip.

S: Beautiful with plenty of alcohol right off the start. Behind this, there is a lot of wood, vanilla, molasses, dark sweet malt, dark cherries, maple, sherry, and port.

T: Loads of alcohol. After the first sip, I got used to the alcohol and found the treasure trove of beautiful flavors beneath. Lots of maple, sherry, port, wood, and vanilla. All beautifully combined into an absolutely soothing beverage.

M: Very hot and medium bodied. Not too much of a burn. Not too sweet; complex and even somewhat delicate.

D: Supremely drinkable. The 2-or-so-ounce pour that I got was enough to last me a long while, and I kept discovering new things with each small sip. Next time around, I think I'll definitely grab a bottle of this to hold onto for a while.

4.93/5  rDev +10.5%

100th Review - What a huge beer to celebrate this milestone with.

2009 bottle. I was going to try to save this bottle for a while. I thought to myself, life is too short... enjoy it. I busted it open at the Hilton at KTG day with larsonstyle and Zapps.

A - No head no lacing, clear mahogany, Flat. Looks like bourbon.

S - Toasted malts, oak, vanilla, dried fruit, nuts, alcohol, so much going on here. A symphony.

T - Maple syrup, vanilla, alcohol, nuts, fruit, resin, Such a broad range of flavor yet each component is so focused and dead on.

M - So rich, huge flavor, no carbonation.

D - I'm so happy I bought this beer for $150. It truly is a once in a lifetime experience. I have never had beer like this and I will most likely never have one like this again. Worth every penny. I could sip on this one and enjoy a 2 oz pour for hours.

4.65/5  rDev +4.3%

I'd been watching for the emergence of this beer for while. it showed at a local store and I snagged a couple. Opened the first an a family event... my brothers are all serious scotch drinkers... Then shared with a few in my brew club.

First impressions... wow... is this really a beer?

We poured a dram (1 oz) into scotch snifters. Snifters are very similar to the glass Sam Adams commissioned from Reidel for this beer.

Room temperature. This is Not Carbonated. You can open it, drink a little, close it, save it, repeat...
(Note- the bottle has a twist off porcelain cap. Under that is a beer cap for first opening)

Color is a dark earthy brown or scotch ale

Nose is huge, almost overwhelming. Maple, Oaky. Maybe a hint of burnt. Reminded us of a port...

Taste starts with Fig and Burnt Caramel. Raisin Finish is undeniable. Flavors are real complex. Reminded us of Monks blood - then we broke out a Monks blood and discovered it was like water compared to the Utopias. Similar Fig overtones.

mouthfeel is thick. Like butter. Smooth and warm.

This is a sippin beer. After I poured, folks would sip it. set it aside. Drink something else. Come back to it. The taste really grew on me.

4.13/5  rDev -7.4%

The blended Utopia. I had over four ounces of this stuff and that was plenty. Beer is brown and hazy, no carbonation really, no head, no lacing. It looks about what I expected it to look like but on tap I was expecting more of an attempt at carbonation.

OK, the aroma is amazing. It smells like wood, alcohol, malts and liquor, like bourbon. It smells amazing.

Hmmm....taste....well to start the beer is medium to low bodied, there isn't any bitterness or carbonation to sour it out. Its sweet but not cloying at all, but it does finish really really dry and the alcohol is biting. It really is like sipping liquor not beer. Its plenty enjoyable but after four ounces I was ready to call it quits. I don't need anymore but I would try it again. Much better than the triple bock, overall a solid and impressive beer.

3.9/5  rDev -12.6%

Utopias really transcends what beer is. Unlike some other "beers" out there, this doesn't undergo any ice distillation or other techniques to increase the ABV unnaturally. It is 100% ninja made.

This beer in the right time and place is a great sipper. I'd schedule at least 30 minutes for a 2oz pour to do it right.

In this situation, Utopias is a complex son-of-a-bitch. Flavor pop up all over the place including vanilla, maple syrup, brown sugar, bourbon, sherry, caramel, and dark fruits. There are more in there but my brain can't handle that many sensations at once. I almost think of it as a cognac or sherry more than as a beer. Either way, it is interesting for sure. Also of note, when I've had it on cask before it wasn't carbonated. There was a touch of carbonation and decent head this time because it was served out of a quarter keg (yes, a fucking quarter keg of Utopias!!). Also, this is one boozy beer. The full 27% ABV isn't apparent but about 15% of it is and it is hot.

In a different time and place it blends beautifully with Canadian Breakfast Stout. The coffee and chocolate from the CBS add a great sensation to the beer and also drop the ABV to a completely reasonable 20ish percent.

In a third time and place it is the hardest yet most satisfying kegstand in the world. This beer is to be respected or it will kick your utopi-ass.

4.13/5  rDev -7.4%

Review from notes (2009 release)

A - Poured absolutely still, a deep amber hue, much like a cognac in a snifter. Very clear, no sediment or bubbles. Legs cling to the glass when swirled. 4.0

S - Lots of maple syrup, brandy, notes of port wine, and a hint of Bristol cream sherry. Very heavy in the alcohol department, but is expected from a 27% abv beer. 4.0

T - Huge maple flavor nearly dominates the entire experience. Through the booze, I gather hints of oak and a bit of vanilla and cocao in the finish. Very apparent alcoholic spice. 4.5

M - Very hot and smooth. Burns slightly going down. Again, no carbonation but not syrupy either. 4.0

D - Decent for the abv, but a bit hot for that amount of alcohol though. 3.5

Overall - I was slightly underwhelmed by this experience. It was no doubt a delicious beer but certainly not worth the list price of $150 IMO. Luckily, I had this at a tasting for $14/oz. Quite enough for me.

4.63/5  rDev +3.8%

2009 vintage served in a Riedel Utopias glass.

Pours a beautiful ruby brown with absolutely no head whatsoever, appropriate considering the lack of carbonation. The smell is heavy on the caramal, toffee, wood, and, unfortunately, a serious dose of alcohol (which pushes the rating down a ways for me). The taste...damn! I have never put anything in my mouth so delighfully powerful and complex! Heavy amounts of maple syrup permeate the mouth, along with tart cherry, cranberry, red grape, madeira, caramel, molasses, toffee, and a large bit of alcohol warmth, but here it serves as an enhancement, a manifestation of the complexity, than a hindrance. The body is relatively heavy, but it somehow stays just smooth enough to keep the weight from negatively impacting the proceedings. Frankly, in the face of the extremely high ABV, this brew holds up as incredubly drinkable...or, at least, incredibly sippable.

This brew is a must-try if for nothing else than the experience. There are flavors all over the place, all blending together with the alcohol to make the most unique thing that has ever been in my mouth...and possibly ever will be.

3.38/5  rDev -24.2%

Sampled this one at EBF (2/20) on a clean palate (second beer sampled). Poured into a sample glass. Usually I won't review at a fest... however, since most people only review a 2oz. pour of this one anyway...

A: Beer is a semi-clear mahogany. No head, no lacing, no carbonation. I understand that this is an "extreme" beer, but reviewing to style, I can't give it a good score with no head or lacing grade.

S: Nose is outstandingly potent. Booziness is over the top and then some. Caramel, brown sugar, a bit of nuttiness come in behind the scenes.

T: Booziness makes me cringe a bit. To me, this is beer in its purest and strongest form. Comes out of my nose and is by far the hottest beer I've ever had. A bit of brown sugar is apparent as well as some caramel and toffee. Finish is hot as heck and lingers a bit, but no real flavor, just straight up booze.

M: Full bodied, flat, really smooth, but also really average for the style. Finish is boozy and over the top and the hotness makes it hard to get down more than any other beer in this category.

D: I'm glad I only had a 2oz. pour of this one. Can't and won't stand any more of this. I'm really glad to have had it though and taste what the commotion is all about. Not worth the investment in my opinion and might need a couple of years to tone down the alcohol and heat.

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

'07

Pretty impressive offering from Sam Adams. Pours a rich bronze with shades of ruby and amber. No head.

Nose has cognac, whiskey, sherry, oak, vanilla, peppery alcohol, caramel, toffee, rum soaked fruits, caramelized pecans and dank maple.

Taste has brandy, bourbon, wood, sherry, vanilla, maple, spicy alcohol, rich candies and nutty malts. Quite sweet, yet superbly balanced and hugely complex.

Thick, creamy body . Great finish.

I'll definately grab a bottle of this next time it's around.

4.1/5  rDev -8.1%

I tried this beer back in 2007. I was working at a store and my manager broke the neck off one of the 4 bottles we had on accident. The break was perfect. None of the beer spilled and it didn't get into the beer. I poured the remaining into a nalgene bottle and saved it until I got home for a more proper tasting. I like this beer because they are pushing the envelope and just the idea of what beer is and can be. No head at all completely no carbonation. Lots of molasses and caramelized sugars. Alcohol presence heavy, very very warming. It would make for a nice beer to enjoy during the heart of winter with good friends.

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

Vintage 2007. Thanks to Kevin for his generosity in sharing this both now and at a previous tasting! The beer is a red copper color displaying plenty of church windows. Aromas of cognac, figs, plums, and raisins tickle the nose. Tastes of raisin, brown sugar, and a glorious spiritlike alcohol character that is just delicious. The body is thick and smooth, even without carbonation the feel is delightful. High in alcohol, but scrumptious to have sitting in the mouth. This is a beer I would drink all the time if it were feasible. Outstanding beer, while some may have "beat" it in terms of ABV, they taste comparatively atrocious to this masterpiece.

4.72/5  rDev +5.8%

Utopias is one of those beers that you really want to try based on its novelty of its alcohol percentage, but is very difficult to find. Even if you find it, you still have to fork over a lot of money. I found a bar in Santa Cruz which had this on the menu, and it being a fraction of the cost for a sample, I had to go for it. 1.5 ounces, on to the beer:

The ruby amber color, with hues of orange, red, and brown make this a pretty thing to look at. Even my brother who was with me wanted to examine the color! The color was only the begining though. Inhale that aroma! It is strong, so strong my borhter next to me could smell it. But it is a heavenly smell. It smelled like the best Belgian waffles with maple syrup I could imagine. Vanilla and grapes are present as well. There almost no heat to smell, which is hard to believe.

Like the aroma, the taste is glorious. I would say its taste is even more complex. Maple syrup, grapes, and bourbon soaked wood are the most prevailent tastes. Raspberries, burnt sugar, and a little kick of alcohol add to the beergasm. It's not too sweet or boozy. Feels like fine liquor, and drinks like fine liquor. I could have had another dose if I wanted too.

A masterpiece. Ok, I'm not so sure if I'd pay three figures for my own bottle, but for a small dose at a smaller price, do what I did and go for it!

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to thirdeye11 and ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle with me. Bottle 08291 of the 2009 vintage.

Pours dark amber with no head. The aroma is maple syrup, vanilla and caramel. The flavor is alcohol, sherry, port, caramel, vanilla and maple syrup. Thin mouthfeel and no carbonation. The alcohol is pretty hot as you would expect for a beer of this strength, but the complex flavors and aromas make the beer outstanding.

4.38/5  rDev -1.8%

More amazing generosity here from Kevin. I was definitely not expecting to try this one last night.

Review is from a 2007 bottle.

A: The pour is flat (as I expected), and a lovely caramel/copper color with a nice reddish hue to it.

S: The nose really has some wonderful things going on. Rich caramel, maple, vanilla, and a slight chocolate aroma that I really did not expect. The only knock on it is that the alcohol can burn the nostrils a bit.

T: While the alcohol is still of course very present on the palate, it's much more manageable. The maple, vanilla, caramel, brandy, brown sugar, and chocolate flavors are intense and absolutely wonderful.

M: While the flatness really doesn't work with most beers, I find it to be quite nice with this one. The body is absurdly full and rich.

D: I was honestly expecting to not like this beer. Once I gave it a sniff and a taste, however, I became a believer in it. And should I have a couple hundred bucks to spare, I would pick up one of these.

4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

An awesome beer and a great experience to have for my 250th review, that culminates three years of BAdom and moves me up on the karmic plane of beer to disciple. Many thanks to thirdeye11 for the chance.

A- 4oz of ruby amber liquid into my Duvel glass. I was expecting a much thicker liquid, but no it's pretty thin, not much viscosity. Obviously no head or lacing (with no carbonation) but it's got some legs- thin trails going down the swirls of the glass.

S- Whoa careful where you whiff this beer- the smell is strong. For all the beers I've hated on for not having a strong enough smell this makes up for it all. My first impression is brandy. Then I smell brown sugar, dark cherries, dark sweet sweet orange, maple syrup, toffee. Incredibly complex. There is also tons of alcohol- burns off my nose hairs and stops me from just smelling it for the rest of the night.

T- In the taste there's more sweetness and fruit compared to the smell which had more liqueur, at least in my first sips. Maple syrup comes to the fore. Candied orange peel, tobacco, juicy vanilla bean pods, blueberries. I'm noticing the tobacco more and more, which gives it some Scotch notes. And like the smell the taste is incredibly complex.

M- Burn, obviously- it is 27%. I wish I could say that the alcohol is hidden but not really. The sweetness covers it up a bit but not to a great degree.

O- it's hard to rate this as a beer- more a liqueur. One of, if not the most complex beers I've ever had. Quite the special experience.

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

Served in a Utopias glass at about 60-65F. 2009 vintage, opened a few weeks ago.

Appearance - tawny, no carbonation and no head (as expected). When I swirl, the liquid sticks to the side of the glass.

Smell - sweet. Not boozy - I'd expected it to smell and taste hot, but it smelled instead sweet - a bit chocolatey. A bit of raisins too.

Taste - Sweet. Less boozy-hot than many beers half its strength. Thick, complicated but balanced. A bit of vanilla, a bit of port, and maybe a bit of macadamia.

Mouthfeel - warming, sweet without being cloying. It's always what I'd imagined scotch or whiskey would be - not burning, complex, a bit like port, sweet.

Drinkability - I'm going to try to pick up a bottle every other year. If it cost $50 and were always available, I'd always have some on hand. A couple ounces after dinner makes a wonderful nightcap.

Big thanks to Bryan Brick at K&L for getting four bottles into their shop in Redwood City, California.

4.03/5  rDev -9.6%

Great surprise Christmas present from my wife. 2009 vintage.

Served in a Utopias glass. Pours thick and syrupy, a slightly reddish copper, leaves some nice legs on the glass. No head or carbonation, as advertised.

Aroma is strong of alcohol and sweet brown sugar and maple syrup. Flavor is largely similar with some dark fruits showing through. Alcohol heat and spiciness come through in the middle and some faint hop flavors in the finish. Reminds me of a nice port wine.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. I guess I wouldn't call this drinkable because of the ABV (and cost), but I am wanting more.

My 100th review. Yay!

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%

I has the oppertunity to try this for free from a friend of mine sharing some that was shared with him.

This beer is truly extreme and epic

It poured a clear deep golden light amber color with no carbonation.

Smells like a harsh hot liqour. Very intimidating for me.

BUT THE TASTEIS AMAZING!!!! It was so easy drinking and flavorful. It was a 2005 addition so the flavor and mouthfeel was totally different form the smell. I got dark raisins and pruns mainly. Very simple. But I wanted to drink the rest of whatever was left, but I couldn't... :(

so very glad I was able to try it.

4.38/5  rDev -1.8%

Not really a beer I'd ever considered trying to get, then happened to come across it this year (2009) the day it arrived in my area, so, what the heck... a couple ounces poured into and sipped out of a Sam Adams Utopias Riedel glass.

Not a difficult beer to review in and of itself, but challenging because many of its characteristics need be considered outside of the average 'beer.' I find myself wondering if that inflates my rating, but I'm not so concerned given the unique nature of the beer.

Appearance- No excessively attractive 'beer' qualities other than color. No head or lace, obviously, but the legs on it are quite nice, reminiscent of a high abv wine. Viscosity with lack of carbonation hints at the after-dinner quality more common in a port or maybe sherry. The color is the highlight for me, rather attractive at a deep caramelly brown with lots of red and amber highlights.

Nose - The aroma is rather heavy, laden with notes of sugar and overripe dark fruits (prune, raisin), with a strong undercurrent of bourbon. Some light vanilla and caramel, maybe even a hint of coconut, but all likely present from the bourbon influence. Perhaps something woody like a greenish oak in there. Overall nose is familiar to high abv well aged beers, but this one has a characteristic nostril-warming alcohol presence beyond most.

Taste - Flavor is really about what I expected, though not in a disappointing sense. Very nicely arranged, strong and full, but not heavy or out of balance. Kind of like rum-soaked raisins dipped in butterscotch, it really presents overripe fruit forward in a syrupy caramelly sweetness. Almost a raw cocoa going into the bourbon finish, followed by some fumes of bourbon (and all that goes with it - caramel, vanilla, toasted coconut, etc.) with only a mildly resonating alcohol. Leaves a sticky sweetness on the lips and a lingering kiss of vanilla in aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - For me, this is where this beer adds up. It is as I expected for the 27% alcohol, but with an even nicer balance of ability to enhance the flavor and experience without any detraction from it. Smooth in body, almost sticky and full like syrup. Alcohol sharpness cuts the feel and actually makes it much more palatable.

Drinkability - I suppose if you had to factor in cost of consumption along with abv, this really isn't a very drinkable beer. Except that, in reality, it is - though certainly as it was intended to be consumed. In sipping, it's easy to enjoy, very similar again to a port or sherry, though in its own way, more complex and a little tastier. Smooth and balanced, it certainly is a great concoction worth the try. Looking forward to sipping this bottle over some time to come.

4.93/5  rDev +10.5%

Purchased from a generous BA from MN (thanks mothman) since I can't buy it here in OH.

A - Poured in my Utopias glass, appears a very deep copper with no head (no carbonation).

S - Dark fruits/raisins and alcohol. I'd be truly impressed if they managed to hide the 27% abv.

T - VERY SMOOTH. Alcohol is hidden nicely until the after taste. Just like the smell would imply, getting some dark fruits from this.

M - Above average for an American Strong Ale.

D - It's a sipper. Don't be stupid! For Jebus Christ sake, it's 27% abv! Don't drink a pint!!!

I have the rare opportunity to compare and contrast two vintages of Utopias (2007 & 2009). Thanks to my loving wife for understanding such an extravagant set of purchases!

Appearance:
Poured ~1 oz servings into side by side Riedel Utopias glasses.
2007 - Amber gold, no carbonation, syrupy film coats the glass.
2009 - Similar characteristics but slightly darker amber in color.

Smell:
2007 - Warm maple syrup and butter, caramel, walnuts, oak, warm but not of alcohol. Very intense but mild and smooth.
2009 - Again, similar characteristics but has a slightly denser nose that is less sweet.

Taste:
2007 - How can this be even considered as anything but perfect? Nearly identical to the smell but so much more intense. The flavors are so well balanced between the sweet and savory while being both light and dense at the same time. The alcohol is obviously there as it warms down your throat but never do you actually taste "alcohol." My favorite part is the intense mental image of pancakes with whipped butter and real maple syrup and walnuts.
2009 - Absolute bliss as while they are both the "same" "beer," they are distinctly different and both incredible. The 2009, with it's darker complexion has a bit more oak but is somehow lighter on the tongue as there may be a detectable carbonation. The flavors are slightly less sweet but equally balanced in every way as the 2007.

Mouthfeel:
2007 - Sipped so slowly, trying to pull every hint of flavor out of this beautiful liquid, the body is creamy smooth and thick with a sticky coating last long in the mouth. The flavors lend to being light on the palate so while the flavors are strong they do not change over the course of the drink.
2009 - The same syrupy sweet consistency coats the mouth but with a hidden lightness from a nearly imperceptible carbonation.

Upon initial opening of the 2007 vintage (nearly 9 months ago), it had the same perception of possible carbonation but as it has waited in it's bottle, it has not lost any attractiveness.

Drinkability:
This it truly the most intense and enjoyable beer experience I have had. Both brews are equally enjoyable and I will refrain from picking a vintage to prefer as I honestly don't know. In either case, I cannot think of a beverage (of any type) that has had as much impact on me.

Comment:
I have to say that Utopias is well out of my day-to-day price range, even if I could find it (I will not disclose my seller as I don't want to cause a stampede). I was first let into the know of Utopias by a co-worker of mine who has to this day, not found a bottle of for himself. I almost feel bad...

2009 Vintage

Appearance: Poured a golden amber color with no head at all. You could tell it was thick and syrupy.

Smell: Had nice hints of maple, caramel and vanilla. Smelled very cognac like to me.

Taste: Wow. Again very cognac and bourbon like in its flavor. I could taste hints of maple syrup, vanilla and caramel which was present int the aroma as well. A bit raisin-y(is that a word) as well.

Mouthfeel: syrup-y with no carbonation at all.

Drinkability: I was truly shocked. I thought this beer was all hype but after trying it I change my mind. Not sure I'd pay $200 for it but it was great.

4.38/5  rDev -1.8%

A beer like any other beer? The Temecula Valley Homebrewers Association was lucky enough to have a representative from Sam Adams come to our meeting last night a bring a bottle for sharing. Unfortunately I was the last person to get about 0.25oz of this delicious beer.

A. A dark brown with ruby highlights, very clear. No carbonation, no head

S. Bourbon, Alcohol, Vanilla, Chocolate all come though in this beer.

T. Wish I could have gotten a bigger taste, but when 40 people are attempting to sample from one bottle what do you expect! The first taste you can tell this beer has some high alcohol to it. This was the latest version and could perhaps mellow with aging. Lots of Bourbon notes with some underlying chocolate/vanilla tones. Very sweet

M. No carbonation gave the beer a heavier mouthfeel then if this same beer had been carbed. No astrigency, some fusels.

D. Wonderfully drinkable, wish I could have had an entire glass of this beer to really sip and enjoy.

Samuel Adams Utopias from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)