Samuel Adams Utopias - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias

Wants: 1,258
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  29.00% ABV

Beer added by: GClarkage on 07-09-2005

Reviews: 492 | Hads: 2,158
4.39/5  rDev 0%

A- No head, clear deep amber body.
S- Big amount of port, scotch, whiskey, even a little hint of bourbon, and of course a huge amount of oak and vanilla. Faint hints of chocolate, and even just a hint of grass hops.
T- Huge alcohol with a nice big chocolate body to back it up. All the aromas come in and a sweet dominating caramel body. Big oak and tons of vanilla, with lots of dark sweet, almost candy, fruits. Very nice and complex.
M- Full chewy body that is really oily with no carbonation at all.
D- I think it is really good but not easy to drink. It is more like a hard alcohol instead of a beer (of course). I doubt I would spend $150 on a bottle but to try a ounce of it (like I have) it is good. (709 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

I used the Sam Adams Utopias glass. It has a very deep red/brown color. No carbonation. Very clear.

It has a very sweet maple, brown sugar aroma. The alcohol is very strong when you stick your nose down in the glass. The oak barrel smell is very strong. When all the smells mix together it almost smells a little like cotton candy.

The first thing you notice is how it warms you up when you drink it. It's very sweet. It taste very much like it smells - maple syrup, brown sugar. The alcohol is very strong, but it adds that candy taste to it when mixed with the other flavors. The oak flavor is more prominent when you swallow.

Very smooth and light texture when it's first on your tongue. If you leave on the front of your tongue you get all sweet flavors, but as you swallow you get the very sharp alcohol burn.

This was one of best Christmas presents ever and it took me until now to drink it. I first had it a couple years ago at Sam Adams Beer Dinner. I would highly recommend everyone try it at least once. A couple ounces is more than enough. (1,054 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +6.8%

I was lucky enough to receive this as a gift from my wife for Christmas. I was so anxious to try this beer that I was almost nervous. I figured for the price, this beer must be something special. The first thing to hit me was the smell after opening the bottle. It smelled strong of alcohol, oak, and a sort of molasses sweetness. Poured out with no carbonation, but still looked nice in the Utopias snifter. The color was of a deep copper. The taste was smooth in comparison to ports and cognacs. It definitely can't be compared to most other beers. There are notes of oak, burnt caramel, vanilla, and fruits; but none of them overwhelm eachother. Part of the enjoyment of this beer probably comes from the experience of drinking a beer that is more expensive than a lot of fine wines and spirits. Athough it is smooth, this beer is definitely a sipper. Two ounces is just enough to make each tasting special. If you can find a bottle, or a bar that will sell it by 2 ounce shots, taste it. You'll be drinking a part of new beer history. (1,038 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +12.1%

Extreme beers don't get any more extreme. ...or higher in quality. ...or more sultry or savory. This year's 10th Anniversary edition satisfies all the sophisticated taste, texture, and pleasure of anyone who believes they have a discerning palate. If, as a craft beer enthusiast, you enjoy the better things in life, then do yourself a favor.

An ounce and a half poured into a small brandy snifter proves to be all of the beer that's needed for full appreciation in taste. Its dark tawny redish brown hue and absolutely stillness allows the beer to relax and mirror port wine in appearance. A casual swirl of the glass allows the brandyish legging to climb up to the glass with a glossy sheen. No carbonation or foam character is necessary- all the complexities are built in to the aroma and taste.

Incredibly strong aromas of brandy-like alcohols weave into a savory mix of maple syrup, molasses, and rich dark fruit. Bordering on sherry, the mouth watering aromas waft over the palate with concentrated red grape, raspberry, plumb, dates, figs, and cashews. Aged oak becomes the common thread that ties all the dense fruit, peppery alcohol, and savory sweet notes together.

Insanely complex flavors of maple, toffee, and sorghum coat the mouth with a film of mature sweetnesses that's toasty and slightly seared to bring out a buttery taste that's devilishly seductive. The sweetness merges with fortified alcohols that stop shy of overly boozy distilled spirits. It's result is a port-like brandy taste that's even more captivating with the oxidized fruits- rum soaked cherries, raspberries, grapes all seem concentrated in taste even as complex sherry, cognac, bourbon, and scotch flavors emerge with each alternating sip. Mild herbal hops give a tea-like roundness to the taste, even as vinous tartness balance the sweet. Dried aged oak and even savory soy sauce and chocolate tastes emerge with elegance, grace, and an obviously masculine quality. This beer begs a pairing with a fine aromatic cigar.

Thin alcohol sweetness seeps into the mouth without the lift of carbonaiton to brace from its full brunt of tooth. Lightly oily and chewy at the same time, the beer's coat is like a rich dessert that's meant for sipping and savoring rather than drinking. Extremely warm, the beer is surprisingly balanced from the fusal heat and rounded off nicely for a smooth and peppery finish. Its closure of alcohol-sweet texture keeps rewarding the taste buds well into the next sip.

After recently having the past five vintages of the beer, its quite obvious that these beers get better and better with each subsequent release. Even as earlier versions are lesser in alcohol, they portray an overall rougher alcohol taste. The more recent versions are smoother, stronger, and more sophisticated in taste- and yes... worth every penny! (2,836 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -7.7%

No head and no carbonation more like cognac than a beer. This is a great winter after dinner beer. It's 20F out tonight and this seemes like an apropreate beer. Taste is burnt caramel honey and maple I dont taste any hops. This is a great beer but its just to expensive I dont think I will buy it again. (303 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -4.1%

First off big thanks to Khiasmus for procuring this bottle. I've wanted to try this for a while, but have been put off by the price.

With something as bizarre as Utopias, it's tough to know where to begin. This is the strongest, strangest, most un-beer like "beer" I've ever had. Much like Dogfish's Fort or 120 Minute, Utopias will grab your notion of what you thought a beer could be and give it a good thrashing. This being the case, the best way to approach super-strong brews like this is to treat them like they're NOT beer, but rather a liqueur or a strong drink, say, port.

Anyways, other people have covered this exceptional brew fairly well in the reviews below. Let's hit on just a few highlights.

Utopias is completely flat. No carbonation of any kind. It's a burnt-amber brown and quite clear. Syrupy is a good start.

This has the biggest alcohol legs of any beer I've ever encountered. Yes, more than Dark Lord. (I'll wait for the collective gasp.)

If you stick your nose too deep into the glass, the alcohol stings your eyes.

The smell is wildly complex. Everyone got different things out of it, but common notes were maple, vanilla, oak, raisins, and sherry.

The finish is astonishing. More akin to a scotch than anything else, it's long and embracing and warming. I tasted no less than three different nuances from the casks. Sherry, toasted oak, and Madeira.

It took me about 45 minutes to drink two ounces of Utopias, and I was hurrying. Two ounces was plenty.

Was the experience (and make no doubt, this was one) worth it? For sharing with friends, as we did, very much so. I would not recommend dropping the $150 - $200+ on a bottle for a single person alone. Utopias is good, yes, but two hundred smacks still buys a *lot* of good beer.

If you get a chance to sit 'round a fire and sip this beer with your favorite people in life, don't pass it up. It's a hard beer to get into; if you enjoy scotch and fine after dinner drinks you'll have a better time of it.

Utopias may not rock your world, but it's certainly an unforgettable beer experience. And isn't that what us beer geeks live for?

Jim Koch, I tip my hat to you. Or would, if I had one. (2,181 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +12.1%

A- Pours a chestnut brown with a watery edge and strong legs.

S- Great nose with a strong Tawney port smell. Chocolates, toffee, maple, vanilla and caramel figs and raisins .

T- This was amazing. Strong caramel and chocolate and dried fruit. You definitely notice the alcohol . I get a maple and fig on the finish.

M- This is a very smooth drink without carbonation. I love the almost syrupy feel to this. I feel like I am drinking a nice twenty year old Tawney port.

D-Not an all night drinker but I would have more than one for a very special occasion Try this if you get the chance you will not be let down. (614 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +11.6%

Purchased a bottle of the 2007 at a local Big Ten on a bank-account depleting purchase. Special thanks to NitroGen for his assistance in helping me get the SA Utopia glass that I sampled from!

APPEARANCE: A beautiful copper, amber look with absolutely no head and no carbonation. Leaves a beautiful glow inside an equally beautiful glass.

SMELL: Smells like a bourbon. Strong oak and molasses smell. Alcohol is also very noticeable.

TASTE: Wow...the alcohol hits first, but the taste is exceptional. Molasses, candy, vanilla...almost like a bourbon with a bit more candy. Excellent taste that is as deep and intricate as any beer or liquor that I have ever tasted.

MOUTHFEEL: Creamy, thick, and extremely enjoyable.

DRINKABILITY: Due to the amount of alcohol, I would have to knock this down one notch, but it isn't in any way because of the taste. It is an incredible beer to sip!

Overall, an exceptional beer/liquor. Well worth the money for me to try once in my life and exceptional to sip on. Will definitely consider purchasing another one if I can ever get my hands on it. (1,084 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

A shout out to Deepak at Kingdom Liquor in Brandon for holding a bottle of this one back for me.

A: It poured a deep amber that is almost radiant. Very viscous for a beer, Nice and thick no lacing was left, but you could see it run down the glass after each and every drink. No head, no carbonation.

A: Tons of deep dark brown sugar mingled with sweet molasses and caramel. Boozy baking vanilla takes over in the middle with notes of oak and bourbon.

T: My buddy who tasted with me says this one is too sweet but I have to disagee. Tons of malt was used to get this baby at it's ABV. What you taste is an extreme amount of vanilla, and caramel with a hint of chocolate. The ABV is not hidden and you quickly realize this is to be enjoyed in small amounts as a sipper. The finish is buttery and oh so smooth.

M: Is very thick but smooth. The alcohol blends with the malt in a nice way. Sweet booze is soo nice. The finish lingers and lingers allowing you to enjoy the many tastes of this one.

Overall: I am honored to have a bottle of this on hand to sip as I please. I drank it as the colts game finished and it was a great way to end a wonderful day of drinking wonderful brews. I look forward to future occasions when I will sample this one because it is a wonderful and ultra unique brew that in my opinion is worth the high price tag. (1,343 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -0.5%

2007 vintage from Bierkraft.com, served in the Riedel utopias glass.

A- Completely flat, no head, looks like cognac or bourbon. Outrageous legs.

S- Unbelievably rich and complex. Oak, raisins, molasses, alcohol, honey, maple, vanilla, grape, amaretto, pecan, hazelnut, Brazil nut. There's probably more that I can't pick up on through everything else.

T- Intensely sweet with hints of caramel, molasses, toooons of maple, and everything mentioned above. The finish is long and full.

M- Smooth, syrupy, chewy, thick, warm, and extremely alcoholic.

D- The two-ounce portion is sufficient.... but I'm glad I have more.

Well... when I first heard of Utopias I knew that I would have it one day. How does one even begin to categorize or rate with numbers something that is nothing like anything else ever made? I would recommend to every beer fanatic a taste of this, at all costs. This will absolutely change your perception of what beer can be. It's much more like a port or scotch than a beer, of course. It's amazing. (1,022 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -31.4%

I'm not really sure how to rate this "beer" as it is so different as to preclude it from being compared against any conventional beers, but I'll give it a shot. I poured a 1 oz. sample into my Utopias glass that came "free" with the purchase of the bottle. Color is a clear burnt orange with hints of amber and ruby. As it is flat, there is no head. Swirling reveals legs on the side of the glass as you get with fine wines and cognacs. Swirling also exposes the intense aromas of vanilla, maple, and brown sugar. These come out in the flavor as well, with an intense sweetness and a warming alcohol sense as it goes down. Given the sweetness, strength, and most importantly the cost, I would not want to drink more than 1 of these in a given evening, which is why I gave a low score for drinkability. Overall, its a nice novelty but not really what I look for in an alcoholic beverage, and the cost is staggeringly high at $150 per 25 oz. bottle (roughly $6 per once). (969 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +12.1%

Ok so i bought a bottle and drank from it with my son who just came back from Iraq for a 2 week leave. How does it stack up against the on-tap i had at the brewery? Lets find out...

Weeeell...definetly more of an alcoholy taste but still not overpowering. It was definetly stronger out of the bottle. As for 8000, they liied they made 12000 bottles of this year. I do have to say i can definelty taste the chocolate more than i could even at the brewery. Bit of a bite going down but definetly not in the bad category. Smooth but not thin, maple, vanilla flavors as well. I think i am drinking it warmer tonight than i did at the brewery and im not sure if its making the alcohol taste come out more.

Still very good and i did get it for original 150 dollar price. (767 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10.5%

Brought a bottle to a New Years party to split with some other BAs. First drink of the night to make sure the taste wasn't tainted by anything else. I had mine from a snifter.

A- Medium-Dark gold/bronze brown color. Lots of legs. No head as expected because there isn't any carbonation.

S- Definitely resembles port but it's also a lot more. Caramel and maple smells easy to detect. The smell was strong but not overpowering. It's also very indicative of the taste.

T- First taste is strong caramel flavors with definite but not overwhelming alcohol, especially considering its abv. The taste resembles port as well, but not quite that sweet. It finishes with a strong and very pleasing maple-nut flavor.

M- No carbonation gives this a very smooth mouthfeel. The alcohol is present but surprisingly doesn't feel powerful enough to make this unpleasant at all.

D- Definitely a sipper because of the alcohol, but the tastes are so complex, I wouldn't want to do anything but sip and enjoy anyway. Even the small serving I had lasted some time because you don't need much to go through the progression of flavors it offers. This would be a regular in my cabinet if it weren't so cost-prohibitive.

I did buy a couple more bottles to cellar and I can't wait to taste how they are in a few years. I didn't think this could live up to the hype, but it did for me. I'll admit that I am a port fan as well, so I already enjoy a lot of the flavors and feel that Utopias brings to the table. (1,486 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +10.9%

A- Poured from a SA bottle into a Reidel sniffer. Pours a chestnut brown with a watery edge and strong legs.

S- Great nose with a strong port smell. Chocolates, toffee, maple, vanilla and caramel.

T- This is incredible. Strong caramel and chocolate. You definitely notice the alcohol but it is not overpowering. I get a maple and hazelnut on the finish.

M- This is a very smooth drink without carbonation. That is a good thing for this beer. I love the almost syrupy feel to this. I feel like I am drinking a nice scotch.

D- Obviously not an all night drinker but I will have as much as I can! Try this if you get the chance you will not be let down. (654 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -8.4%

Not a fan of hard alcohol, so I am not too sure how much I will like this, but it something I had to try.

The pour is a dark copper/light brown look. Absolutley no head or carbonation at all.

At first smell, one can smell the alcohol. However, there is also a smell of wood or oak, with a hint of candy as well.

The first thing that I taste is the alcohol. It hits you right in the front of the tongue and lasts throughout. In the middle of the tongue one can taste a little bit of a very malty taste, with a note at the end of a sweet candy.

The mouthfeel is nice and thin, but a little bit more to it than say a scotch or a whiskey.

If one likes scotch or whiskey, I'm sure they would love to give this a try. It is definitely a sipper, but I am not sure how much I couldn't drink very much of this at all. (815 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +8%

Having been active on BA for over two years now, it has been pretty impossible to not hear about this glorious experimentation taken upon by Sam Adams. I have heard both good and bad. I have also had a few of the close relatives of this brew, including DFH's 120 minute. I could not imagine the Utopia to be all that it is cracked up to be. I mean, just the ABV alone must make it unbearable, right?

Like many others who have reviewed this, the oppurtunity came along and I just had to know.

Poured from what I imagine was the standard copper brew kettle, at the Sunset Grill & Tap, in Allston, MA. Hue is very different from any standard beer designation. Caramel in color, but density is more reminiscent of a liquor. No head.

Aroma is sweet. Candied sugar. Some fruit. Alcohol makes itself known.

Taste is very sweet with alcohol burn up front and bold. Malted flavors include caramel, fruit like an apple. A woody taste grows as you drink. Makes it very similar to scotch in that respect.

A sipper no doubt, but a very tasty one.

It was fun to have, but I don't see myself, because of the hefty price, buying a bottle anytime soon. (1,144 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

It was pretty surprising to see Utopias on my local bar's beer menu. I was a bit hesitant to try another Sam Adams strong ale after trying the Triple Bock and finding it to be a mess of flavors that didn't belong together. However a sample of Utopias isn't something you come across everyday. The rarity and uniqueness of this brew pushed me over the edge, and past the price too.

2 ounce pour for $15 (!) at The Red in Santa Cruz. The bartender poured it into a kind of undersized champagne flute that I found to be very appropriate for the beer. It poured a deep amber that seemed to glow with light, as though by camera trick or special effects from a commercial. Very viscous for a beer, it left long thin legs down the glass after swirling. No head, no carbonation.

Aroma is primarily sweet molasses and caramel, with a distinct vanilla note. The booze manifests as a particularly oaky bourbon note.

Taste is a whirlwind of sweet and hot flavors. Chocolate, vanilla, and caramel wash over the tongue amidst exquisitely smooth booziness. Finish is buttery, almost butterscotchy. Obviously portlike although less fruity.

Mouthfeel is very thick but smooth. The alcohol blends with the sweet flavors seamlessly. The finish lingers for a long time, lending companionship to the slowly evolving warmth in the chest.

Considering the alcohol level, this is very very drinkable, but only by way of sipping. I'd love to have a bottle of this so I could pour a significant helping into a snifter and just slowly revel in the sweetness and warmth on a cold winter night. (1,569 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

Had about a two ounce sample of this last night at the Sam Adams' open house. Sampled in, what else, one of the brewery's ubiquitous Sam's tasting glasses.

Easily one of the best drinks I have ever had. Appearance was rich amber. The smell was strong caramel and licorice, while the taste was full of chocolate, some vanilla, and more caramel. Sweet, sweet, sweet. I think they really hit the alcohol level on the nose--there's no denying this is a super high ABV brew, but it is masterfully balanced. Mouthfeel was buttery. Finish was surprisingly malty; this was probably the biggest tell that it was a beer if you didn't know what you were drinking. In short, the 2007 Utopias is like a great port (and I've had some amazing vintage and tawny ports) but far more complex.

Along with the beer, they also had chocolate truffles made with Utopias. Nice touch, not to mention really tasty.

I came in to the tasting skeptical of whether this could really be a worthwhile brew. I left blown away. I could easily drink this every night in place of a good port were it not so cost-prohibitive. Simply put: excellent. (1,114 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -45.3%

Bought this beer at Blanchards in Jamaica Plain.

Packaged in a copper kettle bottle. Very attractive. I served some of this to some friends in shot glasses (no, we did not drink them as shots).

Smells of alcohol, vanilla, and maple.

It tastes like it smells and in that order. Nice maple finish as it goes down.

I was all about this with the 2005 version. I mean really talked this up to friends who themselves loved it. However, this version was a real disappointment. Flavor was consumed by the alcohol in this batch. Someone told me that this version tastes like a cheap port. After having this I would have to agree. Don't get me wrong. I LOVED the 2005 version. I paid a grip of money to get that version and felt it was money well spent. This version really bummed me out. I may be wary of future vintages from now on. I would say, taste this (if you can) before you buy. (883 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

OK, wow. What an amazing beer! Knowing it's rarity and it's tendency to be gone quickly at the GABF, my buddies and I shot straight for the Sam Adams booth and this was our first beer of the day and by far the best. This beer is obviously big but it's complexity is amazing. There's very little carbonation but the mouth feel is excellent. It's very sweet but not overwhelmingly so. It was like liquid candy. Loved it. :) (421 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -6.2%

Drank a 2 oz. sample from a brandy snifter at the Sunset Grill & Tap, Allston, MA

Clear, crimson-mahogany in appearance with absolutely no head or carbonation. As I swirled the beer in my snifter, the liquid left thin legs along the glass (similar to a hard liquor).

The aroma was initially caramel rich and bready before turning sherry-like and complex. Peaches and apricots were apparent along with honey, wild flowers, almonds and traces of berries.

The taste was similar to the aroma yet a bit darker and more aggressive. Sweet, rich and fruity up front. Alcohol soaked raisins, brown sugar and an oaky quality soon appeared. As the beer moved along my palate, the alcohol became increasingly stronger. Apricot brandy came to mind. Eventually the alcohol dominated, trumping all of the more subtle flavor nuances. Sweet alcohol numbed my tongue and warmed my throat on the swallow and nostrils on the exhale. I could hardly believe this was beer. The finish was lasting and sweet, yet slightly tannic and woody, with the syrupy liquid coating my mouth.

If the aroma was comparable to sherry, the taste was definitely a port, and a good one at that. In fact, this libation more closely resembled a port than any other type of beer I have tried.

Sampling Utopias was definitely a unique experience. I would definitely spend the $14 again to do so. Congratulations to Sam Adams for not only brewing the strongest beer in the world but doing so with style and flair. (1,471 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +4.8%

Let me start by saying this is so distinctive and though technically a beer, it pushes the limits so far, I almost think it should have a different category. I could easily see someone rating this a 1.5 or a 5 just depending on personal preferences. Personnally I like it a lot. One note: it is 27% ABV, not 25%.

Poured into a Reidel Vinum series port glass.

A = A beautiful clear caramel. Nice reflection of light. Coats the glass.

S = Complex smell with caramel, nuts, bourbon, roasted malt. Similar to a dry oloroso sherry or a top flight bourbon. Definite hints of the alcohol but not overpowering given the rich and full smells.

T = Buttery. This beer is incredibly complex. Very sweet flavors of caramel, bourbon, roasted malts, roasted nuts, honey all smothered in butter.

M = Luscious full feel, coats the mouth and stimulates all of the tastebuds.

D = A great drink to be enjoyed slowly after dinner. A good substitute for a port, sherry, scotch, bourbon, cognac, etc. However, it is definitely expensive and if that were not caused by its limited availability, I would say it costs too much for what it is. (1,122 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured into a brandy snifter
no head at hall, syurpy, reminds me of a coffee liquer
Smells of booze, caramel, tofee, bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark fruits
Taste is like a kick in the mouth, boozey, and complex beyond belief, all of the tastes in the aroma follow up, but with more intensity, the booze is a bit raw for my tastes, but this beer is 25%.
Mouthfeel is syurpy, thick as hell, and raw.
Definitly a sipper. A good beer, but not worth 100+ a bottle imo (466 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%

I managed to get about 4 oz. of this at the GABF. I reviewed it on my phone. I will never pay to sample it straight from the bottle as I am not a rich man.

This beer doesn't come with a lot of head and lace, but that can't be expected from a beer like this. It has a nice dark and full color.

The smell is similar to scotch with some raisin, mint and licorice coming out.

The taste is surprisingly smooth. The strongest beer in the world is not overbearing, it's actually well balanced. Caramel comes out first with raisin and licorice overtones. Some mint comes out as the beer warms. This beer is wonderfully complex and I applaud the Boston Brew Company for making a well crafted beer this high in alcohol content. This beer is more than just 25% alcohol, it pushes the limits of what beer can do and I really admire the BBC for making it.

How could a 25% abv beer be any more drinkable? This beer is definetly a sipper, but considering it's 25% alcohol, it's a damn drinkable beer. (989 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -1.6%

This is crazy stuff! I’ve only had it at festivals like the GABF or NHC so I’ve never been able to sit down and try it! Thanks to the customer who brought some of this in for me!
The pour is a clear copper color with no carbonation and thick streaming “legs” on the glass as you swirl it. The nose is very warm and nutty with a lot of maple. The flavor has hazelnuts, vanilla, caramel, figs, and maple that finishes pretty hot, but not as hot as you would think. It defiantly is more like a port wine than a beer. Worth a try if you can get it. (549 characters)

Samuel Adams Utopias from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)