Join our email list →

Samuel Adams Utopias - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias

Wants: 1,325
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

American Strong Ale | 29.00% ABV

Beer added by: GClarkage on 07-09-2005

Reviews: 520 | Hads: 2,315
4.37/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to tpd975 for the chance to try this. I poured my sample into a Bush (aka Scaldis) mini-goblet, which I don't think I've used since my trip to the brewery, so this felt like the right occasion.

Pours with no head, of course. (You trying brewing a 25% beer with any kind of head on it!) Rolls around in the glass like Frangelico or something; earthy amber in color.

Can't believe how good this smells. Given the high ABV you'd think it would be an aromatic disaster, but it's not. There's definitely a strong wave of alcohol fumes, but it also gives off brilliant woody and nutty aromas, a little vanilla too. Lots of oak as the smelling continues--but now I'm anxious for another sip...

Lots of repeat flavors from the aroma--oak-y, nutty, subtle vanilla (vanilla extract, anyway, but nothing wrong with that). Maybe a little maple, too. Alcohol is big, but completely sip-able, not at all cloying (amazing), lending added depth to the flavor without ever detracting. A total treat.

Texture is syrupy yet not heavy, has a soothing glide like a liqueur, and it pretty much tastes and drinks like a liqueur.

A special occasion beer--and yes, this is beer. Reminding myself of that as I sipped helped me remember 1) the almost limitless possibilities of the brewing process, and 2) the talent of Jim Koch and co. when they really roll their sleeves up and get to it. This is a far sight better than their Triple Bock--don't even compare the two, even if it's tempting to do so. (Thanks again Greg!)

I'm in love with this beer. I tasted the first version at a Boston beer fest, and was blown away. Later, I managed to pick up a single bottle of the 2005, and when the 2007 came out, I was ready.

Great beer. It reminds me a lot of a good tawny port, it's got that sweet carmelized flavor, almost like it was distilled. It's sticky and slightly thick like port.. but then you taste, and there are flavors here that you just cannot get with grapes.

Definitely sip this one... savor it. Share it with your friends, surprise them with the fact that yes, this really is beer.

Thanks to Jim Koch and everyone at Sam Adams, this is something truely unique.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

I had the pleasure to taste this at yesterdays GABF evening session. I was much more impressed than I thought I would be as it leaves a very pleasant maple and vanilla taste on your palate and although very alcoholic it had only subtle hits of its true abv. You do have some oak and Sherry notes that come through as well. It has a very thick mouth feel and no carbonation. This is truly a great beer that can be appreciated by any beer advocate.

4.32/5  rDev -2%

Got a bottle of this from my brother for being his best man and shared it with everyone at the rehearsal dinner.

This pours a dark red/burgundy with no head at all, its served still. Looks thicker and almost syrupy compared to any other beer ever. Smells of cognac, port wine, alcohol, and maple. Tastes like it smells, lots of alcohol in there. This one is a sipper for sure! Sweet sticky mouthfeel with a slight alcohol burn and a thick body. This is one of those brews that truly breaks ground. Great brew that really is outside the box, I wish I could afford to drink this more often!

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Had this in a wine glass from a friend.

Pours a brown, almost burgundy color with no head. Coats the glass fairly well when it's swirled.

Smells like a toffee liquor. Lots of buttery aroma, with a good bit of alcohol.

Tastes the same as it smells, but a bit more complex. If I had to sum it up in one word it would be buttery, but there's also some caramel, toffee, and a touch of chocolate. Very warming.

Mouthfeel is very good. It goes down very smoothly, and it has a good thickness.

This is pretty drinkable. It's not something I want to drink on a regular basis, but I had absolutely no trouble finishing the glass.

Overall I'm glad I had a chance to try this. It's very interesting, somehow it still resembles a beer. Definitely worth a try.

4.74/5  rDev +7.5%

Split this bottle with some great friends. I have been holding this for a couple of months now, and was very excited to try, but always thought I was going to be let down by it. Boy was I wrong. This exceeded my expectations.

Poured a syrupy dark amber with no carbonation. Smelt of condensed maple, alcohol and molasses. Taste was pure maple, molasses, and a smooth alcohol burn. Truly unique and amazing. I would recommend all BAs try this at least once. I know I will be getting a bottle of the next release.

4.01/5  rDev -9.1%

Huge thanks to Jwolfie70 for his incredible generosity over the weekend. Had a chance to sample this along with some other rare brews as he cracked open his cellar (it took some cracking) to break out some of his Cable Car, Cuvee de Tomme, and other delicacies.

What an awesome bottle. Pretty epic stuff.

Pours a slightly amber dark brown. No head. Smells wonderful: malty, woodsy, maple-syrupy, and the taste is very satisfying, with a vanilla/oaky/boozy overlay that makes it a wonderful sipper.

I could see how this wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, and it certainly isn't "drinkable" in the slightest, but really wonderful to try.

Pours a beutiful golden brown into a tiny brandy snifter to capture the aroma. It looks more like liquor then beer, and the nose is off the charts (and clearly more developed then the 07). Malt, port, caramel, dates...Seriously, every other time I lifted this to my lips just inhaling the delicious aroma was enough. And the flavor; a drop on the tongue spreads throughout the mouth a delcious complicated hoppy, malty, caramel magic. Being stranded on a desert island would be worth it if a bottle of this was along. I thought this beer would be all hype but it was worth every dollar.

I was able to sample a 1 oz pour of this at Downtown Bar & Grill in Brooklyn. It was a nice dark bronze/copper color with no head or lacing (as expected). A very nice aroma with some sweet smells and vanilly. The flavor was very smooth which matched the aromas and you could taste the alcohol. It very much reminded me of a tawny port in both smell and taste. The mouthfeel was very smooth and syrupy. Even at the price, this is one that I would love to pick up a bottle of and slowly savor. It's definitely a sipper.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

This is a pretty brew. Flat, yes, but pretty none-the-less. Dark reddish amber, and very Cognac-like in appearance, how can one turn away. The aromas jump out at you whilst you take in the colour of this brew. Yes, they are that strong and seem to shout things like Alcohol!, Sugar!, Raisins!, Sherry!, Port!, Cognac!, Malts, and Plums! The taste is burning and singing with alcohol, but in a good way like a fine strong port, or a nice French Cognac. The taste is all alcohol, molasses, other sugars, dark fruits, nuts, syrups, and more. Truly a "beer" to behold. Mouthfeel is liquor-like and coating and the drinkability is actually quite good for a beer that you drink by the shot, or snifter. Truly a one-of-a-kind brew. I hope every BA gets to try this,

4.9/5  rDev +11.1%

This is not just the best beer ever, it is not just the best fermented drink ever, but it is perhaps the best alcoholic beverage in the history of mankind. Let's just say, the long-dead American patriot shouldn't just be honored to have his name on this, he should be greatly worried that history will remember Sam Adams Utopias the beer before they remember Sam Adams the man.

Utopias comes in a bomber-sized, ceramic genie-bottle-shaped vessel that if you rub the side and unscrew the cap a spirit (luckily one NOT voiced by the insufferable Robin Williams) pops out, not granting you three wishes but instead telling you that if you have just a few ounces of this beer you will achieve nirvana.

Appearance: An absolutely gorgeous amber like what that dinosaur-blood-sucking mosquito was frozen in "Jurassic Park."

Smell: A bouquet of incredibly potent maple syrup, but this ain't Aunt Jemima, it's the good stuff you buy at a hippie farmer's market. The aroma goes up your nose as the Utopias' odorants bind with olfactory neuron cell bodies. Their axons synapse in the olfactory bulb region in your brain, making you go, "God Damn! I said God Damn!" like Mrs. Mia Wallace in "Pulp Fiction."

Taste: More full-bodied than Aretha Franklin. Maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, honey, several different types of yeast, caramel malts, and a whole lotta hops though not much bite. Earthy with some spice and hints of bourbon and sherry due to aging I believe. A creamy, chocolate and coffee-like finish. More sublime than "40 Oz. to Freedom."

Mouthfeel: Nearly indescribable. As complex as beer, if not any alcohol, can possibly get. God did not create a human with enough writing prowess to adequately discuss the Utopias's feel. It is absolutely unlike beer, lacking in carbonation and with no need for refrigeration. It would best be described as nearer to being a potent barley wine, a sherry, an aged port, maybe a bourbon, or most likely fine cognac as composed to a measly brew. The difference between the "beers" of Utopias and, say, Bud Light is more pronounced than the the slugging difference between George Herman Ruth and Dr. Ruth Westheimer.

Drinkability: Eminently drinkable though one will probably never consume more than an ounce or two in a sitting as it is like drinking money. Figuratively of course.

Consuming this beer will ruin you for the rest of the day (if not your entire existence on planet earth). Not cause it's that potent-remember, you're only savoring a few ounces of it max-but, rather, because everything afterward will taste so sub-par.

Utopias will change your thoughts about beer and imbibing for the rest of time. If you are ever lucky enough to find this beer, pay whatever is asked for it.

I don't believe in a higher power but I still love Ben Franklin's famous saying, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." He could have easily been referring to Utopias.

My absolutely highest recommendation. A masterpiece.

Aaron
www.theviceblog.com

4.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance- dark copper, amber, no bubbles

Smell- vanilla, oak, maple syrup, alcohol, like a sweet port wine

Taste- sweet, warming notes of vanilla, syrup, oak barrels

Mouthfeel- thick coating of the mouth

Drinkability- sip all night long, great for breaking out for celebrations, (like when the Giants won the super bowl)

4.72/5  rDev +7%

Tasted at room temperature, out of a snifter. It's slightly thick and syrupy, with a pleasant mouth feel. It's sweet and warming, with flavors of maple, vanilla, oak and caramel. It's a wholly unique experience -- it doesn't taste much like beer, or for that matter scotch or anything else. Absolutely worth trying, and worth the price, but not the sort of thing I'd want to regularly indulge in.

4.57/5  rDev +3.6%

So I was lucky enough to get to try this one from a wonderful BA who capped a few ounces for me to enjoy. I had been dying to try a bottle but have never been able to land one personally so it was a good day for me to say the least to be able to finally try this. Let it chill out in the fridge for a couple days before pouring it into a small snifter to take a taste. The look was much like a strong barley wine for me. Rich and very hazy copper colored amber with a very dark and menacing look to it. No real head to speak of, nor any lace. Utterly motionless and menacing, this was really going to be a fun nightcap.

So I really did not know what to expect from this one, but went in for the smell and was blown away by how sweet it was. Really just tremendously rich in maple syrup like aroma. Lots of brandy like alcohol smell as well. Really complex, some light honey or caramel in there, quite nice overall. The flavor was more of the same with a rich and very sweet maple syrup like cognac taste. Huge profile here, with subtle hints of honey and anything else sweet you could think of. Fine spiciness with a deep warmth coming up from the bellows on this one. You could definitely feel the alcohol all the way, but it was not harsh at all and surprisingly quite mellow. The consistency of syrup, it was really quite nice. I had no issue sipping he few ounces I had, but that would be probably it for a session to really enjoy what this one can bring to the table.

Overall this was really unlike anything I had before. It is in a class of its own, as it should be and something that everyone should get to try. For 120.00 I would buy a bottle with no issues asked. I would love to have this one sitting around waiting for me every night!

4.72/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: Very deep, dark copper color. No head present. Very clean and clear looking.

Smell: Holy Maple Syrup!! Vanilla and oaky aroma are also present.

Taste: Once again- Holy Maple syrup. Very sweet. Slight vanilla taste also.

Mouthfeel: Just incredible. Silky smooth. Slight alcohol taste with the first few sips-warms all the way down.

Drinkability: Take it slow and easy with this one! A true sipper and great for after dinner.

This is a def must try- a holy grail of beer if you will- enough said.

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Clear oak. No head. Super inviting; alluring.

S: Even though there is a strong alcohol odor, the other aromas more than make up for it. MAPLE SYRUP, Vanilla, and oak.

T: Delicious. Wow. Maple syrup and vanilla. Warms the body and belly. The very last taste is when the hops are tasted.

M: Alcohol, and warming. BUT extremely smooth, extremely smooth.

D: Absolutely a sipper. Very complex and even more delicious.

I wish I could put this on waffles.

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

***2007 Vintage***

Big thanks to Mudpuppet for helping me knock off one of my holy grails.

I wanted to save this one for a quiet moment so my wife & i could savor it. Last Saturday, my daughter was babysat at my parents, so, perfect occasion to enjoy this. My wife pitched in this review.

Poured from a hand-bottled bottle, 2-3 oz.

Appearance: Pours a leather-brown body. No head or carbonation, which is to be expected.

Smell: High-octane alcohol which reminds me of a good whiskey. Heady & delightful!

Taste: Reminiscent of a good sherry or porto, strong in the forefront, kind of whispers at the end. Balanced through & through.

Mouthfeel: Warms the mouth, cloves & cherry in the palate with a dry, mild fruit-like (woodland berries) finish. A wood-like character permeates the taste but not overwhelmingly so. Definitely has a porto vibe to it. Sweet notes are also there but not sugary sweet, more of a warming, fruit-like sweetness, not artificial sweetness.

Drinkability: Top notch as this is a great sipper, perfect for the end of the evening. A couple of ounces is enough for one sitting.

Overall: Drop all preconceived notions of beer when tasting this. Treat it as you would any hard liquor of your choice & you'll be fine. Though i probably won't splurge 120$+ on a bottle, i definitely love this brew & was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to try it. You should try this at least once.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Quite a while ago I had the unfortunate experience of trying over and over again to like Sam Adams Triple Bock. I tried multiple bottles, both fresh and aged over 5 years. None of them worked for me. I could never get over the taste of soy sauce and dead yeast. Happily, this attempt at creating a super strong beer fares much better. First off, the bottle is beautiful- I love the copper sheathing. The pour itselff looks like a cognac or something, but slightly more viscous. No head at all, but excellent clarity and it sticks to the glass. The aromas are not at all beer like. Instead I get maple sweetened brandy, but nicely balanced and not too sweet. The taste is even nicer, for what it is. Long brandy like heat, but fairly smooth and tempered somewhat by clean-tasting relatively dry maple syrup flavors, and some vinous qualities. Extremely smooth in the mouth, and although surprisingly dry, the sweetness and feeling of alcohol build as you drink and necessitate only having a single small pour. Very interesting, and very much a beer digestif.

4.03/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: Spills out a clear, dark mahogany body. No head, but there's some legs to it. Oh, and what a classy-looking bottle.

Smell: Some toasty, carmelly malts along with dark fruits soaked in three parts cognac and one part Golden Grain.

Taste: It's sweet! Sugar-caoted dark fruits tossed into syrup. It's that sweet, people. Ah, caramel candy, too. Along that first taste you get a hit of very hot, throat-scalding alcohol, but with each consecutive sip it gets more and more creamy (or your tongue gets more and more numb). Warming finish, baby!

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. No carbonation. Coating mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A super slow sipper for sure, and one that's made even more enjoyable when you weren't the one who actually paid for the bottle.

Received a couple ounce pour of this from tpd975 in a recent trade. I sampled this about three weeks ago while in Boise with my old roommates. Drank from a small generic snifter.

Appearance- Pours a dark caramel brown with a very syrupy, thick feel. Zero on the head along with any sort of cap and collar. I don't know if I can really review the appearance of this based on what a normal beer is supposed to look like.
Smell- Loads of caramel sweetness that seemed to jump out of the snifter. It's quite a bit sweeter in the nose than a whiskey but it smells a lot like one. The alcohol is definitely there but not near as prominent as straight 80 proof whiskeys. Vanilla, oak, tree bark, and burnt brown sugar are all detectable along with a light maple syrup pulling everything together.
Taste- Much like the nose the first thing that grabs me is the sweetness. Full of toffee and vanilla the oak really shows leaving a very rich pleasing flavor. Very whiskey/brandy-ish in flavor if you added a sugar cube to a 2 oz pour of either (like you would with Absinthe). A bit of a lingering maple syrup aftertaste that is a bit nutty and hot. The alcohol definitely wasn't shy.
Mouthfeel- Thick and syrupy with a smooth creaminess and zero carbonation. Very warming.
Drinkability- Well there's no way I could drink more than a couple ounces of this at a time but it's definitely tasty. I am a fan of a nice whiskey over a couple cubes and this was sort of in the same breath. I'm sure it was more of a cognac or brandy but I don't drink that stuff. Pretty darn good and big thanks again to Greg!

4.44/5  rDev +0.7%

I had a treat to trade some 120 for some of this amazing beer. If you can call it beer.

The appearance is a deep dark brown which pours exceptionally syrupy. There is no carbonation and no head. The lace is very whiskey style.

The smell is of pure whiskey. It doesn't have the strong alcohol smell that whiskey does.

The taste was amazingly complex. It was extremely whiskey flavor. Without the big alcohol taste at the end. Instead the end was very smooth with vanilla hints coming out.

The mouthfeel was extremely syrupy. It was almost a liquor. It smelled and tasted and felt like whiskey.

The drinkability is good. It was a sipping liquor almost more than a drinking beer.

I am amazed that this bottle cost $160 and a bottle of 120 is only $10. It is a great beer experiment. But the beer obviously taken on alcohol from the whiskey.

3.99/5  rDev -9.5%

I poured from the unique copper bottle into the crystal utopias glass. I had a portion of the bottle at an extreme beer tasting event held on a dock on the Columbia River.

A: It poured a thick, sticky and deep amber body with no carbonation, head or lacing. As it poured it seemed more like maple syrup than beer. This is difficult to rate as there are no others like it, however, rate it I will.

S: It emitted a boat load of sweetness and alcohol. The sticky sweetness had its roots in brown sugar, vanilla and caramel. There are hints of smoky oak and caramelized maple syrup.

T: This is all about the sweet malts and sugars. It's sticky sweetness coated my mouth then melted like butter. It had flavors of caramel and vanilla and a back of alcohol that left a warm and clean palate.

M: It was full-bodied, thick and sticky. It was like drinking a beer brandy with rich flavors and pronounced warming from the alcohol.

D: This is a sipper. At a couple of ounces at a time this makes for a wonderful after dinner or before bead treat. I doubt much more than a few ounces in any one setting would be able to be appreciated.

This was quite an exceptional treat to sample. It's technically a beer, although its characteristics are more like a scotch or cognac. It poured a clear, dark copper with no head. It had an extremely strong and complex scent of brown sugar malt, cinnamon sugar, wheat, and alcohol. Its flavor was even stronger, blending super sweet honey, maple syrup, hazel nut, refined wheat, and delicate malt. It was oily and very smooth with no carbonation, and a very strong and lasting aftertaste of bitterness and alcohol warming. Overall this was just about perfect - one of the best alcoholic beverages of any sort that I've tried. It was very simple at first, but the more you thought about it, the more complex it became. It had chameleon-like characteristics, in that you could discern hints of practically any flavor you thought about. Despite the ridiculous price tag, this is worth it.

3.99/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into a Samuel Adams Utopias glass at the Yard House in Rancho Cucamonga tonight, two ounces cost me twenty dollars which was not too bad, it was better than spending two hundred dollars plus on a full bottle of it, heard they had it from a friend today and asked my girlfriend take me down there immediately, bought her dinner afterwards of course, bartender told me he did not recommend it but that was never going to stop me from trying this highly hyped brew from Boston Beer

A-Ruby red with brown accents, when held up to the light it appears to still be rather dark, absolutely no carbonation, not a drop of head or lacing, just flat liquid sitting in a small glass like a shot of whiskey would or a flat soda

S-Vanilla, floral accents, cinnamon, pine hoppiness, apricots, tangerines, oranges, brandy, almonds, plums, toffee, caramel, sweet malt, teriyaki, ripe dark fruits, port, bourbon, scotch, and lots of booze, did not lack complexity

T-Taste was full of molasses in the first sip, each drink I took from my glass, probably about eight total, were complety different, tasted some chocolate after that with a large amount of dates, next sip tasted like straight cognac, surprisingly some hops too that providing some dryness in the finish to separate the strong alcohol burn going down, tons of vanilla and toffee after that, realized the beer is probably too strong to have any carbonation to begin with, last few sips had a variety of things going on that consisted of both dark fruits and citrus flavors, some nuttiness, loads of hard alcohol, burned malt and a big bourbon and brandy aftertaste, nobody would ever be able to figure out this was beer if they did not know better, sipped on for over thirty minutes and really savored it, quite enjoyable even though the taste was very harsh at times

M-Probably the fullest body I will ever see, completely flat because of its alcohol by volume, mouthfeel was all over the place but it was definitely strong, boozy, spicy, stinging, and dry, weird sensations on the tongue and burned the chest going down

D-The only reason this did not get a one in this category is because I was able to finish my super small glass, it is way too heavy to think about drinking another drop though, too strong to say the least, twenty-five percent is overkill in my opinion but it did not taste too bad, alcohol is not even close to being hidden, puts hair on your chest, packs the biggest punch of any other beer out there I have tasted

This could easily be called a cognac or several other different types of hard alcohol, tasted much better than their Triple Bock even though it was much stronger, cannot imagine what Hair of the Dog Dave tastes like it has three or four percent ABV on this one, only twelve thousand bottles of this worldwide, aged in four different barrels throughout the year it is brewed, lots of time and effort go into making this rarity, truly one of the most unique beers I will ever have, glad I tried it even though it was the most expensive couple ounces of beer I will probably ever have, recommended if you do not mind pulling out the credit card

3.6/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This has to be the most hyped beer in America. For years I've heard about it but would never pay $125 for a 22 oz. bottle. I just thought, maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to find it being poured at a tasting somewhere. The moral to this story; If you go to enough beer tastings . . .

Found it being poured at the GABF by Jim Koch, no less. I sampled several glasses while chatting with the brewer. A nice experience.

As for the beer; it poured a deep brown color with some faint ruby highlights. No head. No carbonation.

Aromas of oak, mollasses, maple, vanilla and alcohol. A sweet cognac-like alcohol.

Tastes are similar. Big maple, mollasses flavors. Strong alcohol. Vanilla, even a hint of toffee.

Extremely full bodied and chewy. Flat. No carbonation at all.

Overall, it was fun to finally try this beer with Koch as my bartender. It was interesting and complex. A strong/old ale type beer with massive alcohol. The most impressive thing about it was the drinkability. Was I blown away? No. Would I pay $125 for it. No. But I'd definitely drink it again for free.

Samuel Adams Utopias from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)