Samuel Adams Utopias - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams UtopiasSamuel Adams Utopias

Wants: 1,239
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  29.00% ABV

Beer added by: GClarkage on 07-09-2005

Reviews: 488 | Hads: 2,143

such an iconic brew and Jason doesn't even write a review? but he gives it a 5 of 5?
i'm skeptical, but here goes... looks like a brandy in my little Remy Martin snifter... so THAT's what 'legs' means, huh??? dang.... smells indescribably awesome. some bourbon barrel, or SOME kind of barrel.... smells like it's gonna be smooth. heck, I paid THAT much for a bottle of beer??? I know i'm an idiot, and I was drunk when I requested the hold on it.... let's see what this is going to taste like.... but that smell.... that really is exquisitely beautiful... I honestly do not like most of sam adam's brews... they all taste the same. strong alcohol nose, but smooth... almost a bit like rubbing alcohol...
on the tongue... easy! sweet. silky smooth. as it warms from the heat of my tongue it begins to taste a bit maple-y. sugar. maple syrup. cane sugar. perfect on pancakes. as it passes the tongue and drains down the throat there is some alcohol flare but it's not unpleasant. this is an awesome sip to be enjoyed. more so than a great whiskey, I think.... legs still rolling slowly down the side of the snifter. I am really so thoroughly impressed with this. why cannot others produce this? does the price have to influence the perception? I don't think it does here. this is really insanely smooth and sweet. the entire mouth is happy! there simply is no burn. no bitterness. $200 per bottle is extraordinary but I had to try it. it easily surpassed my expectations. how can this be 29% ? wow. if you have the cash, and you wanna try the good stuff, then do it. there is still a level where the 'legs' are still waiting to drop down from.... wild.
I am thoroughly impressed. beyond any expectations. an entirely different experience in taste, and I have been doing some serious research in beer this last year or so. got a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 waiting to drown out the expected yukkiness, but honestly I think it may be the other way around... this truly is nectar. I have to give this one all 5s and it is NOT due to the price. this is truly an elixir to be experienced... (2,082 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -4.1%

The first time I had this beer was in 2007 at a Samuel Adams Octoberfest in Boston, MA. The beer pours smooth with no carbonation, which I now know is to be expected with such a style of beer. It tastes more like a spirit but has a smooth caramel tone. I think this is a great beer for every beer enthusiast to try. It has a great taste as well.

Finding this beer is a search in its own. I managed to get a bottle of the 10th anniversary edition which, because it ages, I am saving until a very special moment. (511 characters)

Poured 2009 vintage into a Riedel Utopias glass.

Pour thick... cognac like not even close to a beer.

No head but legs of a fine wine.

Boozy nose with hints of port and cognac. Ages just as well as this bottle was opened quite some time ago... didn't loose it's character, only got better.

Raisin, carmel and almost tawny port notes.

Simply amazing! (353 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like no beer I've ever seen this seems to push the envelope as to what a beer can be. It resembles more an expensive brandy than a can of suds, Utopias pours a rich ruby hue that leaves a clean sheen along the edge of the glass. There's absolutely no evidence of carbonation, this truly "has legs" as you swirl it in a snifter.

The aromas a vastly complex and intense but one must allow this to air out and warm slightly. Once the alcohol dissipates you get raisin, prune, molasses, maple, brandy, port and wine.

This keeps some flavors of a Strong Ale, as it is described. I found sherry, port, raisin, sweet prunes, creme, cognac, grape, caramel and maple on the tongue. This has some amazing diversity but tastes more like a liquor than a beer.

The feel is very smooth, easily sweet and spreads a light warmth through the chest.

I saved this for my 500th review and truly picked a good one for it. Thanks Jeff, I really did appreciate it. (946 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

2009 vintage poured from 750 ml bottle into Utopias glass.

A: Very dark brown. No head or lacing.

S: Molasses, raisin, caramel, figs, orange citrus.

T: Tastes like it smells. Complex combination of candied fruit components, and orange liqueur.

M: Thick and syrupy. Boozy, yet so smooth. The nose infiltrates the nasal cavity and clings to the inside of your nostrils. Slightly sweet finish clings to the palate.

D: Sipping experience.

Atmosphere is nice. Fruit and candied sweet nose. Flavor follows suit. Overall, this is a great quaff. (544 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Small pour from the awesome looking bottle at the Old Toad in Rochester, NY.

Pours a sort of transparent brown with no head, no carbonation, and no lacing. Looks like liquer in every way.

Smells very boozy, with hints of brown sugar, maple syrup, and red wine.

Tastes amazing, but it is so strong. The aforementioned flavors shine through. Tons of maple syrup here. Some oak from the barrel aging, a bit of vanilla. There is a strong alcohol burn throughout each sip. Small sips must be taken to appreciate this "beer."

The mouthfeel is great- sticky, incredibly full bodied (what did you expect with a 29% beer?).

Everybody needs to try this beer once- it represents the pinnacle of how far you can take beer and still keep it tasty. (739 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3oz pour. Pours deep clear brown with no head . Smells is absolutely amazing, I get a lot of the barrel , dark fruit, cherries , port, Carmel, chcolate, slightly smoky. Taste is sweet up front, coniac flavors, dark fruit again, oak, perfect sweetness, chocolate and Carmel flavors like the nose. This beer is amazing and im so glad I got to try it , the sweetness is spot on, heavy oak flavors, nice plum, cherry, and other dark fruits. Texture is thinner than you'd think in a really good way, no burn either.This is on another level and it's so unique. (554 characters)

Served in a Glencairn Scotch glass. Big thanks to my buddy DC for locating a bottle for me.

A: Dark. Looks like a deeply aged cognac.

S: Big chocolate whiff. Smells like a chocolate flavored port I had a few years back.

T: Chocolate dipped cherries. Dark fruits such as red and purple plums or perhaps prunes. Burgundy. Port. There's a woody finish that reminds me of a wet mesquite BBQ sauce, but its rather faint compared to the more predominant wine-base flavors. A more simplified response could be: port mixed with cognac.

M: Thin like a fine liquor, nothing like a beer. Too sweet to be compared to whiskey or scotch. The closest comparison would be to a cognac. Although, the deep fruity flavors hint at the wine/port barreling.

O: Forget the 'beer' moniker. This is an exceptional beverage under any category. People complain about the price, but when you normalize the cost per ABV and volume, buying this beer for $200 at 24oz is like spending $270 for a 750ml of fine cognac. Thats not a bad price to spend for an exceptionally blended mixture of 1 to 20 year old aged tinctures. (1,097 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2013 edition served in a Founders snifter.

A - Looks like cognac. No carbonation, as expected. Deep caramel color.

S - Port makes it way to the front almost immediately. A little sugary maple sweetness.

T - Rich, sweet and complex. Hitting some really nice tawny and ruby port notes. The complexity here is dazzling. Some really beautiful maple sweetness and rum overtones as well.

M - Slick. Almost oily. Substantial.

O - Obviously, this is a non-traditional "beer". This is a tremendously complex beverage and to pigeonhole it into any category (other than "barrel-aged blended alcoholic beverage" is to do it a disservice. Enjoy it for it's uniqueness. (662 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed this Awesome looking bottle out of the signature utopia glass.

A: Pours a black hue with cherry highlights and no head or trail.

S: Strong alcoholic caramel and rum aroma.

T: Strong alcoholic burn with a caramel malt and rum background and finishes on the boozy side of sweet.

M: Heavy body and no carbonation.

O: This is an amazing brew – although it seems more like a liquor. (392 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Tasted on multiple occasions, poured from the tap at the GABF. Can't say I agree with the general public on this one. The taste was extremely sweet, nearing that of cough syrup. The alcohol percentage was difficult to hide with significant alcohol burn. Mouthfeel was nice and rich. However, overall, this isn't one I would want to try again. Nice try Sam Adams (361 characters)

My 800th Review. AMAZING. OVERWHELMING. ADDICTIVE.

This 2011 edition considered October 2013…while our dysfunctional government was shutdown because our elected representatives failed us in one of our greatest hours of need.

The experience begins as you consider the ale from its artisan copper colored porcelain vessel. A traditional plain gold bottle cap beneath the twist off top is a pleasant surprise.

Pours a still yet brilliant cherry mahogany color with absolutely no effervescence. It coats the walls of the chalice with the oily appearance of a fine distilled spirit.

The nose is aggressive and complex, smooth and beyond agreeable. INVITING.
It has a malty molasses cinnamon maple vanilla caramel sweet fig-like fruitiness that is altogether SWEET, UNIQUE and DISTINCTIVE.

The flavors are as complex and vibrant as the nose. The 27% ABV is completely hidden. The aroma commands your attention while the smooth lingering character of the mouth feel seamlessly serenades you with the world-class flavor experience.

I really appreciate the opportunity to have considered this fine ale thanks to Dustin Fargnolli of Sam the Beer Man…and it wouldn’t have been the same if I hadn’t shared it with a fellow advocate. Thanks Jay (1,245 characters)

Limited 2009 edition. Poured into a double old fashioned glass. Bottle reports a 28% ABV but this is likely to have increased over the years.

A - Pours a deep, clear, still amber that beautifully tears down the glass. After a few years, a fine sediment developed.

S - A delicious maple syrup aroma predominates, and is accompanied by notes of vanilla extract, raisin, and alcohol. There's also a hint of oak in there.

T - Initially dominated by maple syrup with a touch of vanilla, and then takes a back seat to the alcohol and oak flavors.

M - Glazes the tongue and leaves a light burn. I find it particularly enjoyable to take a small sip and let it linger for a while before swallowing. Goes down amazingly smooth.

O - My mind is blown every time that I try this very special brew. I love to sit and watch the amber elixir slowly tear down the walls of the glass. Not what I think of when I hear the word 'beer,' but that's part of the mystique surrounding the Utopias. (977 characters)

Finally broke down and open mine after almost a year of hanging on to it. Poured about an ounce into a Sam Adams Sample glass. It was 2012 10th Anniversary Edition.

Appearance: Darker reddish amber in color, no head at all, no carbonation.

Smell: Fruity like notes, figs and some nutty notes as well. Alcohol was prominent.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth, warm, full bodied beer. Taste was very complex. After several sips I could make out several flavors including vanilla, cocoa, alcohol, figs, sugar, citrus, tree nuts and some earthy, grassy notes in the background.

Overall: Glad I bought this one, however I really don't care for it. Yes I gave it all "5s", but I respect this beer. The complexity and the work put into it deserve full credit. It is truly one of the most unique brews I have ever tasted. It drinks like a cross between a fine wine and good whiskey. I would recommend that everyone try this at least once to say they did. (940 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured into a mini-snifter. Received as a surprise bonus in a trade from SatlyMalty and was told it's the 10th Anniversary.

A- Pours a medium brown color with no head and maximum liquid stickage to the side of the glass.

S- Boozy as all hell with that brown sugary brandy-like aroma you find in lots of high gravity barleywines and old ales although this is much stronger.

T- Cloyingly sweet with lots of sugary caramel and maple notes only it's not pleasant. Also just as much alcohol as one would expect from the 29% ABv, maybe even moreso. Astringent aftertaste. Big raisin bomb.

M- Thick, sticky and highly viscous. Leaves a coating of sugar on the tongue as it burns the throat. No carbonation and a fullish body.

O- Thank God I didn't have to pay any money for this especially since it has such a ridiculous price tag. If I paid $200 or more for a whole bottle of this and found it to be this gross I'd shoot myself. Why people actually enjoy this, I'll never know. I wince every time I take a sip. Huge disappointment. At least I got a buzz off just a few ounces.

Update: Had the rest of the dram at room temp a couple weeks later and the flavor as well as the mouthfeel are drastically improved. Don't drink this one cold folks. (1,242 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From the 10th anniversary bottle to a snifter.

A: pours thick like a port or cognac, there is no carbonation, rather than lacing what one gets is legs commonly associated with high alcohol liquors.

S: wow. Smells just like a port to me, sweet and a little boozy. There are definite elements of dark fruits.

T: sweet and rich. Reminds me more of a nice port than a beer, but I think that's the point.

M: smooth and warming. It's a bit slick, and the alcohol warms and leaves a nice finish.

O: definitely not what I would have expected, and definitely worth the chase. I truly enjoy this beer, and have to say it is a wonderful post dinner drink. (653 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2011 Utopias
thanks go to Brian D for opening this bottle for us.
A- Pours a dark copper red with no head. Very appealing to the eye as you can see the legs cling to the glass.
S. Alcoholic raisins but in a good way with hints of toffee along with the slight burn of alcohol.
T- Raisins, toffee, burnt caramel. You definately get the alcohol but its not a bad burn at all very pleasant actually. very little to no carbonation.
M- has the feel of a port/sherry with medium viscosity and a slight burn on the outer part of the tongue.
O- This is an amazing beer if you can call it that. while $200 is steep if you can find a shot in a bar for $20-$25 i would definately say its worth it to those that want to try it atleast once. I on the other hand while mostly likely be tracking down each release if my bank account permits it.

AMAZING STUFF! (845 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

Angelo generously shared his $145 bottle with some of his friends down at MBBC. What a fantastic treat! This hophead was overwhelmed. Every once in a while, I'll go for a Dogfish 120, but Utopias is way beyond that. What a fantastic brew -- one of the best ever! But at such a cost. Not worth it to me. That's a flaw in the Beer Advocate rating system. Obviously it should factor in the cost, but it doesn't. Yeah, I'd like to drink this every day, but not if I had to pay for it! (480 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Sampled some 10th Anniversary to celebrate my graduation today from Northwestern University. Poured a couple sips into a little snifter.

A - Pours a completely still brownish red that looks just like a whiskey to me. I'm not sure how to score this on appearance because it looks nothing like a beer, and the aspects that I usually touch upon such as head retention or lacing do not apply. Regardless, it is an attractive beer in its own way.

S - Insanely complex. A sweet maple syrup is joined with an oaky aroma. The booziness from the various barrels is incredibly apparent. There is some leathery or smoky qualities to the beer. It really stings the nostrils if I sniff too vigorously. There is so much going on here.

T - Holy macaroni! This thing borders on indescribable. Sweet port or madeira qualities at the beginning transfers to a nice oaky maple syrup flavor. The alcohol burn and sweet dark fruits bring up the rear. This is the definition of a sipping beer. I poured what I thought would be a miniscule amount of this beer into my glass & it is still taking me a substantial amount of time to drink.

M - Slick and heavy. Completely still like a spirit. Slightly sweet residual sugars in the mouth. A lasting burn that starts at the base of the tongue and goes all the way down to my toes.

O - This is something that must certainly be savored at a slow pace & in good company. I know this beer is a substantial financial investment; however, it can be opened with a friend at several occasions and re-sealed without a worry. Truly a unique experience, and one that is worth the price in my opinion. (1,615 characters)

The 10th Anniversary edition given to me for my 40th birthday. The latest release of Utopias is a blend of previous beers aged in various liquor barrels. Mr. Dzen reports that beer from barrels from the original Triple Bock 20 years ago, from subsequent Triple Bocks, from Millennium (released in 1999), and from each subsequent release of Utopias is blended into the 10th anniversary edition. Further, Mr. Dzen reports that the 2012 edition of Utopias was aged in single-use bourbon casks from the Buffalo Trace Distillery and also spent time in a variety of finishing casks, including Tawny Port casks and Vintage Ruby Port casks from Portugal and rum barrels from Nicaragua.

2 ounce pour, poured into a cordial glass.

Appearance: Utopias pours a very viscous, yet clear dark amber, like an Armagnac, Cognac, or Spanish Brandy. Absolutely gorgeous in color.

Aroma: Whoa! You can really smell that 29% ABV! Utopias has a very strong, but pleasing not offensive, alcohol aroma, that reminds me again, of an Armagnac, Cognac, or Spanish Brandy. There’s also tons of dried fruit, (prunes and raisons) and caramel and toffee and vanilla. Finally, there’s notes of oak, from the barrel-aging. Absolutely outstanding.

Taste: Another Keanu Reeves, “Whoa!” Tastes very similar to the aforementioned Armagnac, Cognac, or Spanish Brandy or even a vintage port. Lots of fruit, and oak and vanilla and toffee, and caramel, with slight hints of tobacco, all wrapped up in a very long, pleasant malty, alcohol finish. Very pleasant, very complex. I know that this is a beer, but…this is a beer?! Damn, I’m extremely impressed.

Mouthfeel: Cloying in a GOOD way, like a brandy, meaning the alcohol nicely balances everything out.

Overall: This beer is awesome! Extremely flavorful, extremely complex, and extremely fantastic. Utopias will now be placed on a metaphorical shelf of honor next to my best scotches, Armagnac, Cognac, and Spanish Brandies! (1,956 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let's start by saying Utopias changes from batch to batch. That aside, the first Utopias I sampled was 24% ABV. The next weighed in at 25%, the 2nd to last one from 2009 (this review) topped out at 27% ABV. The latest storms in at 29%!
Poured in a Utopias glass (a gift from A Taste for Wine and Spirits in Cohasset, MA)
It pours a very deep amber teak color with no head at all. When held to light the rich viscosity oils are admired.
The smell is port-like in its depth, although that's where similarities end. Big whiffs of strong dark rum come to mind, as does the smell of Sherry. There's also maple syrup, cola, cocoa and spiced brandy in the mix. The aromas last throughout.
The flavors of Sherry, creme brulee, rum, cherries soaked in rum, then bathed in port barrels roll across the tongue, mouth and throat. A minor taste of Grand Marnier peeks in, real or imagined.
I tried sipping, swigging, then gulping some. Swigging works for me!
Look forward to sampling the newest Utopias...when it can be afforded. (1,017 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This isn't a normal beer, or even an abnormal beer, and I will review it as such.

A - I really like this. Its mahogany in color with ruby highlights throughout. The light coming through the beer is fantastic. Looks like the liquor it more closely resembles.

S - the alcohol knocked me back initially. Normally I can taste and smell anything approaching 10%. Additional attempts yield vanilla, carmel, and maybe a little dark fruit.

T - follows the nose. Also some nice oakiness detectable. Strong alcohol, but the flavors still carry the day.

M - relatively thin, with a calming burn and slight tingle on the finish.

O - enjoy this an ounce or two at a time. I had mine after a nice thick steak and wanted to fall asleep shortly after. Make sure to share this with friends. (778 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

200th beer since joining the site!

10th Anniversary (2012) poured into a Utopias glass. Served at 65*. I will review this for what it is.

A- Pours perfectly still into the glass. Throws highlights of color into the room as it escapes from the depths of the bottle. Deep caramel amber color. Looks like a very very old spirit. Leaves beautiful, long legs on the glass when swirled. Slightly viscous (like an old ale). Definitely not thin like a spirit.

S- Wow. Let's make a list as we pick things out. There's a lot going on here. Much more complex than any other beer. Toffee, caramel, fig, date, maple, tobacco, leather, HUGE, full, Tawny Port, explodes in your head, rum barrel!!

T- Follows the nose. Carmel/toffee dominates the palate. Well masked alcohol. This lingers forever!!! Like toffee spun out the ass of Tinkerbell

M- Sticky. Syrup. Coats the lips in sweet deliciousness. Viscous at room temperature.

O- an experience I will never forget. (956 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

In honor of my deceased father in law we did a vertical of the 10 year anniversary Utopias and a more recent bottle. This review is from the 10 year anny bottle.

Deep chestnut with auburn highlights. No foam at all, not even a single bubble. I don't think there's supposed to be.

Lotsa, lotsa smells: vanilla, a fair amount of triple bock squeamishness, licorice string, blackberry brandy, maple, caramel coated nuts and many, many more. One of the more complex things I've put in front of my nose, beer or otherwise.

Big and chewy. Vanilla and a whole lotta butterscotch. Maple and fig in back. Still pretty hot.

A tough beer to rate because I don't have much to compare it to other than the travesty of Sam Adams Triple Bock. I'm told it's similar to cognac but I'm not a cognac drinker. I like it and methinks it's very good.

Cheers Ed Lachapelle. (859 characters)

Bought two bottles of the 10-year, one to drink and one to save. First time I ever dropped so much coin on one bottle of beer let alone two, but in the end it was an eye opening experience that caused me to go back and readjust all the top beers I've rated. Entirely worth the price if you can find it and have the extra cash saved up to spend on it.

The beer has a great history behind its ingredients and is unparalleled in it's balance between complexity and flavor. Should definitely be enjoyed a little at a time as it would be a shame to get too buzzed to truly enjoy the experience.

To date the only beer I've rated 5-star. (632 characters)

Samuel Adams Utopias from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)