Samuel Adams Boston 375 Colonial Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston 375 Colonial AleSamuel Adams Boston 375 Colonial Ale

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-22-2005)
View: Beers (129) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Freshie:
Freshie

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

I have been wanting to try this one for awhile now. I tried buying some at a very amazing liquor store near me. They didn't have it but the manager told me that Sam Adam's was only selling it on tap at Boston-area resturants and bars. A friend tipped me off to it being at a local TGI Friday's. I actually went there to try this beer.

It is supposed to be a traditional ale of the 1700's and is a promotion for the Celebration of the 375th anniversary of Boston's Charter. It is unfiltered just as beer of that time would be.

It is served on tap in a normal glass. The head was creamy and the hue seemed very amber and thick. The aroma was very earthy. It was pleasant and did not sting the nostrils.

The taste was very strong and fruity with molasses and some caramel, but left hardly any after taste. Like with the smell, the taste is very earthy. One of my friends even said "it tastes like camping"

It hearkens back to a simpler time. It is just a traditional brew, meant to show beer lovers where beer has been and how far it has come since. Not a brew I would drink often but a great beer, and quality made.

12-16-2005 00:21:41 | More by Freshie

Eastsideinside

11-19-2011 01:05:30 | More by Eastsideinside
n0rmann

2.63/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This was a strange bee. It started with a light matly smell, and the first couple of sips, the beer was a very nice beer.

But after that, the taste just disappeared. It was like drinking carbonated water. I thought it may be the draft line because the same thing happened to the person I was drinking with, but I tried it again at another bar, and the same thing happened.

I've never had a beer that changed so dramatically as I drank it.

10-01-2006 16:33:17 | More by n0rmann
ryanms3030

3.48/5  rDev -1.7%

I tried this recently at a party where they had a case of it. I'm not a big Sam Adams fan to begin with but this was better and more interesting then most of their other beers. The label said it was brewed with an old colonial recipe (hence the name) and that it was brewed with molases. There was a definate molases and malty flavor which was interesting. It kind of reminded of a watered down version of the tripel bock. Similar in flavor but not something I could drink more then a couple of.

05-31-2006 00:42:33 | More by ryanms3030
UncleJimbo

4.03/5  rDev +13.8%

Sampled on-tap.

This "Colonial Ale" poured a cloudy/murky, light brown color with creamy, light tan foam that clinged to the glass and coated the glass as the beer level dropped. The smell was lightly malty with notes of molasses and caramel. The taste was malty with a touch of molasses, especially in the finish. There was also a note of caramel. The apparent hop bitterness was very light. The mouthfeel was sharp up front, with medium body and strong carbonation. Dry overall with a nice caramel malt flavor in the finish. This was a nice beer, and it reminded me of some kellerbiers I have had.

03-12-2006 19:26:36 | More by UncleJimbo
PatandDavid

2.55/5  rDev -28%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I tried this a few times on tap around a few beer bars in Boston. This one wasn't as tasty as I was hoping, but from what I've read about beer in the good old days, it probably would have qualified for pretty tasty back then. What didn't I like? The musty brown color. The low aroma. Tastewise it was molasses and mustiness. I have to say it did have a good medium mouthfeel however. Just not as tasty as I was hoping.

02-27-2006 13:32:40 | More by PatandDavid
drumenigma

2.2/5  rDev -37.9%

I tried this beer at the Sam Adams brewery. I was quite excited because someone had mentioned this special brew to me and told me it was only available at certain places for a limited time. Now i personally enjoy about every Sam Adams beer i drink. However, this beer did not belong on my palate. It had a pleasent look to it and the smell was maybe that of a wheat beer, not sure. But when i took a sip of it the first thing that came to mind was dirty gym socks. The taste started to come a little more apparent to me the more i drank it, maybe if i gave it another chance i might enjoy it more. I could start to notice the hint of rum that they had mentioned at the brewery more towards the end.

02-14-2006 00:56:15 | More by drumenigma
dbalsock

Vermont

4.33/5  rDev +22.3%

appearance: an almost brown shade of amber with hints of red poking through

smell: rich molasses immediately comes to the nose

taste: oh so good, sweet and malty, tastes much like the smell would suggest, molasses and sugar take control of the brew, but the hops intervene to make it somewhat balanced.

mouthfeel/drinkability: the beer feels heavy, almost syrupy, on the palate, but the sweetness makes it easily drinkable, not quickly drinkable, just easily drinkable. leaves a nice aftertaste, the lingers and begs to be savored by another sip

01-15-2006 07:56:12 | More by dbalsock
guinness33

3.68/5  rDev +4%

Had this one on tap at a few places during a recent trip to Boston. It's a good solid brew, but not great overall.

It pours a murky brownish/amber colour with a medium off-white head that is mildly sticky.

The aroma consists of earthy malt, molasses, brown sugar and some smoke notes as well.

The flavour is more of the same, although a bit more complex. Unfortunately, the flavors don't mesh as well as they could. There are some smoke notes, lots of molasses and other sweetness, some chocolate, caramel and minor hop notes kick in here and there as well.

I thought the mouthfeel was just right here. There was a chewy slickness to this one most of the time, which is how I would imagine many brews were back in colonial times.

I would have this one again for sure, but it's not something that I'd order over and over again. Maybe once on a random night here and there. Unfortunately, that won't be a problem for me as it's not available here and from what I here is almost gone altogether. Grab a pint if you can.

12-24-2005 03:14:37 | More by guinness33
aaronh

3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

This is a surprisingly good beer. Pours a dark amber with a thin head. Great molasses and caramel aromas with a touch of fruity esters. The flavor is very nice, much like a strong brown ale but with a distinct molases note. Drinkability is very good. Not sure if this is a staple or a limited brew, but it's a very nice offering.

12-10-2005 14:48:41 | More by aaronh
Franchise

Oregon

2.95/5  rDev -16.7%

This beer pours with a small white lace, it has a great light amber color that has a richness to it. It makes you want to drink it right away. The smell is of nuts and raw sugar cane....the taste is a little bitter it has really strong molasses flavors and roasted nuts are in the fore front of this ale. I liked it overall but def an acquired taste which is what they were going for, something authentic to the time.

11-19-2005 21:22:04 | More by Franchise
uncleozzy

3.13/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a very dark amber with just a tiny off-white head. Smells lightly of malt, vanilla, and spice, and tastes strongly of all three. Lightly carbonated and almost cloyingly sweet; it has the usual maltiness of an amber with an additional sweetness that I found unpleasant. There is an almost complete lack of hops here. This, combined with the low carbonation and slick maltiness, makes this a very drinkable beer, although I wouldn't want to drink too much of it. Worth a try if you've got it available, but I wouldn't go out of my way.

11-16-2005 16:48:41 | More by uncleozzy
lpayette

Vermont

4.6/5  rDev +29.9%

I wasn't sure if this beer would live up to the hype or not, but in my opinion it was much better than I expected. Had this on tap with fellow BA dbalsock someplace in Jamaica Plan.

Pours a very dark amber, with a small amount of tan head. Smells of molasses. The taste of molasses and malts dominate this brew, and give it a sweetly unique and delicious flavor. For how dark this beer is, it is incredibly easy to drink- which is sad because soon it seems that nobody will be able to drink it.... They should just rename it "Colonial Ale," and bottle it too (send some to me for the idea). This beer should be enjoyed by everyone.

11-15-2005 02:17:27 | More by lpayette
jmz62565

4.03/5  rDev +13.8%

This pours a dark reddish color with a really nice head,two fingers.the smell is a mix of hops,sugar,and spices.It really smells very good.The taste is a deep rich ale flavor.A nice mix of hops and spices make this a very drinkable and full flavored ale.If I could find this again I would have it,but I had it in Disney's Epcot Wine & Food show and was told that there wasn't that much brewed.I would love to try this again.

11-14-2005 22:21:06 | More by jmz62565
Jacobob10

3.63/5  rDev +2.5%

On-tap @ Sunset Cantina in Boston, MA.

Served in a pint glass, it had a nice deep brown color with a small head that did not retain that well. Very subtle aroma. Roasted malt overtones, but you have to search for them a little bit. The flavor, however, was much stronger than the aroma suggested. You really notice the sweet, malty backbone of the beer. Smooth, slightly creamy mouthfeel make it a fairly easy drinker. I enjoyed this new creation from SA and hope to try it again sometime.

11-06-2005 15:52:38 | More by Jacobob10
brentk56

3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Arrives in the plastic cup with a dark amber cloudy body and a minimal head; hard to tell if there is any lacing due to the plastic cup and the full pour

Smell: Sweet caramel nose with a touch of molasses; somewhat bready

Taste: Sweetness dominates the profile with a very malty and somewhat strong flavor due to the molasses; a slight amount of bitterness on the finish but this beer is all about the malt

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with modest carbonation

Drinkability: The descriptive paragraph posted at Epcot describes this as an American Ale, whatever that is, and the pourers were not knowledgable at all. When I asked about the beer style, I was told it was like a Killians and that it was a lager but I doubt the pourer knew the difference between an ale and a lager. In any event, I don't think it is a Porter and I would categorize it as an Amber Ale.

11-05-2005 22:27:55 | More by brentk56
warchez

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

Tried this at the NEBF.
I was expecting it to be darker form other reviews.
The aroma is sublte and not very stand out-ish, doesn't have that spicey strong smell that the noble hops of sam Adams.
Hte taste is mild and pleasant. Sort of piney actualy with light caramel and roastedness coming through, I assume this is a direct function of the molasses. But there isn't a lot of unfermented sweetness kicking around, which I liked.
The mouth feel is full and rounded but it finished rather cleanly, lingering only slightly.
Overall, a decent session beer. Neatness quality of the "historic" tone maybe helps it out a bit.

11-01-2005 15:05:49 | More by warchez
ghostwalker

3.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Served on tap at the Sunset Grille and Tap. I also managed to grab the very last one of the proper 375 glasses!

Dark clear, honey-brown/red appearance with no real head to speak of. I wonder if the bartender scraped it off, I didn't see the actual pour. Very little carbonation was apparent, but it was not not flat.

Mild, malty nose. I didn't get much here, I really expected more.

Nice, sweet flavor. Malt up front, sweet caramel finish. I didn't get much of the hoped for molasses/rum flavor, but I could definitely taste the molasses sweetness in the finish.

Mouthfeel was smooth and a little syrupy. Perhaps even a little chewy, not bad at all.

Overall drinkability was pretty good. I enjoyed this even though I turned down a second one, choosing instead to go with the cask offering, (Stone Cat ESB). I would enjoy the opportunity to session this stuff, too bad it will probably not be possible due to the limited offering.

10-22-2005 01:10:18 | More by ghostwalker
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Sampled at the Epcot Food and Wine festival. Flowed into the mug with a short tan head slowly settling over clear dark brown liquid. The nose was sharp roasted malts, with a good dash of bitter smelling roasted barley mixed with sweet molasses-like tones and some light chocolate. The taste was bitter chocolate, highly kilned maltiness, bitter yet not dominating hoppiness with an underlying blackstrap molasses sweetness. A good balance of roasty and sweet maltiness. The finish was long, dry and delicious...a great drinking ale.

10-11-2005 23:52:59 | More by beerluvr
rousee

I dont have a lot of experience with ales from the 1630's but this seems to taste like a good example of one. I read that they have added some extra ingredients to make it more palatable to todays standards. Its all good as far as I'm concerned.

Dark brown with an amber brown middle changing to ruby at the bottom part of the glass. A wisp of foam with some nice lace visible. Smell and taste are of caramel, molasses, and salt with some cherry fruitiness. There is a sour candy finish which comes into play in the mouthfeel but it is still pleasant. Very rich in character overall--quite nice. Perfect for a cold rainy Autumn evening.

10-11-2005 00:45:20 | More by rousee
MuddyFeet

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

There's a mug? I got no special mug. Oh well. Served on-tap at Red Bones for lunch on 10/9/05. Found this beer rather homely. One of those beers you take home to Ma and you just know she's gonna love.

Poured a murky reddish/brownish/amberish. No head but was very carbonated. I sat there watching lots of little tiny bubbles racing each other to the surface of the beer.

Oddly, the carbonation was not evident in the mouthfeel. If anything, this beer's body was pretty expansive and thicker than any other Sam Adams brews I have tried--which I tend to find on the thinner side. (Probably thanks to the molasses). Wet finish.

Flavor is mildly candy sweet from the molasses. There are malts there, but the molasses kind of overpowers them. But rum flavor as well. Kind of woody. No hops at all. Slightly sweet and earthy nose.

10-09-2005 16:24:02 | More by MuddyFeet
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Samuel Adams Boston 375 Colonial Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)