Samuel Adams Honey Porter - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Honey PorterSamuel Adams Honey Porter

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Porter |  5.45% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Honey Porter Alström Bros

1.2/5  rDev -67.3%

This is quite simply, one of the most vile tasting "premium" beers I've ever had the displeasure of tasting. This beer is a challenge to choke down. Syrupy sweet and almost undrinkable. I wish I had something good to say about this beer, but it's really that bad. This tastes more like soda than beer, but much thicker and less refreshing.

1.78/5  rDev -51.5%

A - Nice dark brown color. Not a great head, but a good one finger that hangs around some. Nice lacing.

S - The honey smell really overpowers things, and it smells like cheap honey. There are other smells there, but geez this is just way to overpowering to take the time trying to figure out what the other smells are.

T - I don't know how to describe this other than just bad. Maybe its because I haven't had many porters, but other ones I tried I thought were pretty nice. There is a complexity of flavors, but none of them go together. The hops and malts do not complement each other, and the honey doesn't complement anything. Has a flavor with some sweet, some bitter, and some roasted, nothing blends or balances.

M - Syrupy, enough said.

D - Hard to choke one down, couldn't imagine drinking more of this.

At least everything else from Sam Adams has been at least decent, this is horrible. Some hops compliment some malts, and some malts compliment some hops, the right combination was not found here. And they honey, wow, what is the point, just adds a funky sweetness to an already bad beer. Must have been a mistake that they decided to add honey too and market just to get rid off originally, then some one actually liked it I guess.

1.88/5  rDev -48.8%

This is a rare miss by Sam Adams. This beer is terrible. It looks gorgeous, and feels okay in your mouth, but tastes awful, and smells bad. I honestly have to struggle to finish this beer, which is sad because Sam normally makes such amazing beers. I was shocked when I first drank this beer because I am used to delicious Sam. Oh well, I guess you can't love everything.

2.08/5  rDev -43.3%

My favorite style of beer is the Porter, but not this one. Let it be known that I'm not a big Sam fan...and this beer doesn't help. The honey flavor is most overpowering - I don't understand how they can claim any kind of spiciness as there is none. This beer's aroma is simply honey...nothing else...no complexity at all. In fact, all that I can say about this one is its appearance as it does look very tasty and full. I have a couple more in the fridge, but I will most likely not buy or drink this one again as there are PLENTY of better quality porters available....even in Alabama.

2.15/5  rDev -41.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a dark brown opaque with medium foam. Lacing evident. Lightly sweet smell, notes of coffee and honey. Eveyrthing seems to be in order.

So, this is my view, but I thought it tasted awful. Sickly sweet - like someone had dumped honey into an otherwise bland porter. Maybe I just like honey less than the average person - but this was overload. The taste was more than I could take - half the beer was dumped.

Sorry, Boston Beer! I am typically a big fan of many of your products - to me, this was a swing and a miss.

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

2.28/5  rDev -37.9%

Pours dark brown with a reddish hue. Huge frothy, beautiful tan head that leaves fantastic lacing.

Sweet honey aromas, and some cooked veggies in the aroma. No roast.

Sweet corn syrup flavors up front, a breath of roast or chocolate. Hard to tell, as it is so subdued. A bit of bitterness in the back of the tongue. Needs more roast.

Full bodied and very sweet. If this beer was drier and turned the roast up 5 or 6 notches, it would be good. As it is, a sweet mess reminiscent of sub par brewpub fare that really turns me off. Not like any porter I've ever tasted.

2.45/5  rDev -33.2%

Appearance - Very dark brown, almost black. Thick light brown head that dissipates quickly.

Smell - Roasted aroma dominates. Just a whiff of hops in the background.

Taste - Quite dark, approaching a molasses flavor. Finishes with not indistinct sour hoppiness. Flavor is not entirely pleasant to me - malt and hops don't quite work together.

Mouthfeel - Medium. Actually seems lighter in the mouth than one might expect looking at the beer. Doesn't appear highly carbonated.

Drinkability - The beer itself seems to be of high quality, but this isn't my flavor. This beer gets a little bump for being one of the first brands to turn me away from macros.

2.45/5  rDev -33.2%

Purchased absent-mindedly near the end of its freshness date; this probably skewed my review. Tsk tsk, Manchester Wine and Liquor.

Pours dark with amber edges; a massive head of moderate thickness condenses unevenly.

The aroma is strongly molasses, honey, yeasty. More intense than most beers; a little over fermented. It smells thick, syrupy.

The near end of lifetime on this beer has taken it's toll - it's aroma is now too strong for me to appreciate the subtle nuances of its flavor. The honey flavor seems stronger than expected - this isn't exactly Bärenjäger yet, but it overpowers lightly roasted malts and citrus hop tastes that would otherwise make this a more consumable beer. The sweetness and dry finish are fine, but something isn't right; the balance is off.

The honey flavor makes this beer seem like a porter with a bad aftertaste - I appreciate the boldness and innovation of the Boston Brewing Company, but this is just not my beer.

Mouthfeel is initially sweet and creamy, followed by a strongly dry aftertaste.

One day, I will try this again - until then, I will not look at honey-laced things the same way. I'm avoiding the sugary condiment aisle in the Supermarket for about a month.

2.48/5  rDev -32.4%

To the eye this beer looks appealing. It has a stable head retention with a head the size of the index finger. Head is tannish creamy looking as opposed to rocky and has some nice lacing properties. Color of this brew is dark copper, real dark copper alomst brown. Garnet hues as well.

The nose of this beer definitely has a noticeable honey characteristic. There's also some darker malt aromas in there as well, a little bit of burnt or roasted characteristic along with a light chocolate/coffee aroma. Mostly just honey though. The other aromas are way in the background. No hop aroma

A much lighter taste than one normally gets from a porter, this is probably due to the honey. That was the first thing that hit me. The second was a huge metallic taste. Although the metallic taste is in the finish it detracts from the rest of the brew. Very unporter like in taste, the honey character is noticeable, it pretty much dominates this brew. I don't really taste any of the darker roasted malts that would be expected from a porter. Due to the metallic character of this brew I'd say that it failed pretty badly in my book. I just don't want to drink tin cans.

Extremely light in the mouth, due to the fact that when a brewer adds honey to wort it adds alcohol and lightens body. It goes down easily enough, feels just like a macro BMC in the mouth. I won't be buying this brew again. Doesn't have a good taste, and just sucks in general. In my opinion the only thing Jim Koch got right with this one was an appropriate aroma for a beer brewed with honey and a good appearance.

2.53/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - dark, lets some light through, a foamy off white head which stays throughout

Smell - roasted malt with honey

taste - sweet with some bitterness and a bit of a burnt aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - sticky mouthfeel, decent carbonation.

Drinkability - ok, nothing special.

2.55/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Very Dark brown almost clack with a tan head and sticky lacing

S-Sweet honey with malt

T/M – roasted coffee with a sweet honey taste, slightly bitter at the end.

D- Not a bad porter for it being a Sam Adams. I am not a did fan of the brand itself but I have had better beers from them. I have also had some better porters. All in all it is not great but not bad either.

Samuel Adams Honey Porter from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)