Samuel Adams Honey Porter - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Honey PorterSamuel Adams Honey Porter

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Porter |  5.45% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Honey Porter Alström Bros
3.72/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle producing a nice light brown head with about average retention. The aromas coming off from this were rather an enjoyable mix of complex malts and chocolate. The taste was enjoyable with abundant carbonation and what seemed like a relatively complex woody-caramel-bitter chocolate flavor with some residual sweetness. Nice usage of hops tends to balance most of this out leaving just a hint of sweetness behind on the finish.

The deeper into the glass I got, the more I seemed to be able to appreciate the complexity, especially in the finish. It was sort of a quick finish but had just a small amount of sweetness that lingered well. Highly enjoyable, in fact, after I took down my notes I enjoyed a couple more. :-)

Recommended to the porter/stout crowd.

I gave this beer 4's across the board as I feel it's good, though not great by any means.

The beer pours to a very dark brown, though not quite black color and the head is rather nice and tends to last throughout the entire beer.

The smell is of roasted malt first and foremost. There are also slight chocolate tones and a nice honey balance that is neither under or overwhelming.

The taste is light for a porter, though still good for what it is. The honey is more pronounced in the taste, when compared to the nose. It's not overwhelming by any means, though I would prefer just slightly less honey when drinking.

The beer does get points for being easy to get down, as this glass is going rather quickly. There's some roasted aspects that one would expect from a porter, but they are somewhat muted. While not being a bad beer by any means, this is a bit of a porter light... There's a definite place for this beer... but I prefer my porters to be a bit more pronounced and strong.

As with the rest of the beer, would rate the drinkability as good.

Could have a few of these without any problem at all, though again a bit muted for my taste and for that reason would rather drink something else.

4.23/5  rDev +15.3%

A: Very dark brown almost black with burnt orange highlights, a finger and a half of cream colored head that tetains very nice with nice lacing to boot.

S: Roasted malts, chocolate, honey and some earthy?metallic notes.

T: Fresh honey, chocolate, raosted malts, mild smokiness, and some earthy hop notes. I like how the bitterness cuts the honey's sweetness and you are left with a wonderful raw honey taste.

M: Very carbinated but clean and dry.

D: This is very quaffable but pushes my limits for a session at 5.45% ABV. It makes a great couple of beers on a weeknight though.

Pours a really dark brown, almost black, with an off white, very thick lacy head. It has a very sweet malty scent with a hint of dark honey. The taste is good with sweet, dark roasted malts and a hint at the end of a honey aftertaste. I really enjoyed the flavor, especially the aftertaste. It has a good mouthfeel and it is a very drinkable porter. I think this is a good porter and I would recommend it for sure.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Better than I remember this being a few years back when I last had it. It pours a dark brown/black with ruby highlights...big ass tan fluffy head....nose is big on the cocoa, and roasted malt qualities...the body is lighter than I expected and it seems a little thin and not the big creamy feel I had hoped for.

The honey is more evident on the taste...lending a sweeter almost sticky element...roasted malts and sweet cocoa are also involved...

An enjoyable beer that leans to the sweet side....a little more body a bit more 'hops" would make this truly special...as it is, it is pretty good

3.45/5  rDev -6%

pours out a very dark burgundy colour with a thin bubbly head that sticks. thin lacing present. chocolate malts dominate the nose with a good dose of sweet honey in the mix. there is another odd, out of place, off putting aroma i can't quite grasp. nice chocolate, caramel and nougat flavoured malt notes in the flavour profile, all sweetened nicely by the added honey. nicely spiced by some EKG hops. medium bodied with a full, schwarzbier lager mouthfeel make this quite enjoyable. it has a somewhat chalky, dry finish. drinkability is very good...it seems to be a nicely decorated version of their black lager. delicate, nuanced, complex and well balanced.

a nice beer. there is a lot going on to ponder about, yet the ease of drinkability erases any lingering questions.

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a luscious dark amber, reddish brown with a nice foamy head about one inch thick. The head is solid and creamy but not guinness creamy, think larger bubbles.
The smell is very sweet and all about the honey. Not a whole lot else going on in the scent of this beer. It has no discernible malt or hop profile.
The taste is interesting. I have to admit the first time I tried it I was very disappointed. This time around I find myself to be pleasantly surprised. The honey is again the dominate flavor but behind that is a nice malt and the sour bitterness of some hops. I think this beer is too sweet to drink a lot of but one or two isn't bad.
It's worth a try if you see it in the store and aren't opposed to sweeter beers. This one has some interesting flavors but still has a good porter finish.

3.15/5  rDev -14.2%

A: A ruby & deep golden amber hue meshed together. Head is a little more creamy than sizzly, which is nice... and the lacing spiderwebs the glass right down.

S: Caramels, brown sugar, and honey aromas. A bit of persistent hops that come through it all.

T: Sweet on the front, but becomes a little bitter sweet and somewhat medicinal through the body, finishing with touches of caramel / chocolate and a little bit of a burnt flavour, with the bitterness persisting through - perhaps seems a little unbalanced to my palate.

M: It's just heavy enough to coat the tongue with flavour, which is good in terms of mouthfeel in general... perhaps a tad too syrupy. Unfortunately, the taste is not one I find myself savouring.

D: A little too sticky-sweet on initial taste, and doesn't really beckon for another too quickly. Not something I could see myself rushing out for, but it smells alright!

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours dark brown almost black in appearance, but is more brown with red hues in direct light. Has a nice 1/2 inch of creamy tan head with average retention and good lacing. Smells are sweet, of honey, caramel, and some chocolate. Tastes of burnt wood, coffee, caramel, nuts, chocolate, and honey mixed with a nice bitter hoppy finish. Medium in body with good carbonation and a creamy character. A little too sweet, but still easy to drink with a nice chocolate presence.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured into a mug and got a almost black body with slight head and not much retention. Picked up honey and malts in the smell, but not much else. The malt presence is heavy in this but there is a smooth aftertaste of honey, but not much else. I could have one or two of these here and there. I am disappointed, this just isn't one of Sam Adams better offerings in my opinion.

3.56/5  rDev -3%

A - Pours a very dark brown. Plentiful two inches of head. Retention was average. Lacing was good.

S - The smell was mostly made up of a combonation of roasted malt and caramel. Really came across as light and clean.

T - The first flavor is a light roasted sensation. The honey comes through nicely as well. There is also a mild hop bitterness at the end.

M - This one is medium bodied. Carbonation was too much for me. Finish was slightly dry.

D - This is a pretty good beer. Balance of flavors was good. It was also very clean and smooth for a porter. Over carbonation is holding this one back a little.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

A deep dark brown/black pour with a thick, sticky tan head that catches and cusions the final drops of beer. Smells very rich and malty with honey sweetness. Very nice aroma. A malty, nutty taste with a noticable sweetness and a touch of bitterness, but not too much of either. Lots of carbonation and a hair shy of the body and richness I hoped for. Slightly thin on the palate but a small nice malty honey aftertaste. All in all, a quite good beer, that looks and smells great and tastes nearly as good. Worth drinking again.

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

A friend told me he got a mixed sampler recently with an expiration of August 2007 and the honey porters were totally off, so I went to the closet and busted out an older one expiration June 2007.

Poured from 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Beer pours black until held to the light where it becomes clear and I can see all in the form of a reddish hue thru the beer. Head is wonderful rising tan just over the rim of the glass but not escaping. Lacing clings and lingers on the sides of the glass.

Smell- Solid honey and a rich malty porter nose, hints of roast and chocolate, but honey for the most part all thru the beer. Still no signs of spoilage so far.

Taste- Malty with sweet honey undertones and a hint of hops. I'm searching for off flavors and am coming up blank. The beer is expired but is showing no signs yet. Just to be safe I may drink the rest of them. Chocolate and light fruitiness but I think that is just more of the honey flavour coming thru.

Mouthfeel- Light and creamy. Full-light bodied with excellent carbonation. Nice consistency with not too much thickness.

Drinkability- This is nice to drink in a sitting, but to drink many you have to really love honey in your porters. This one is a bit too sweet for my tastes and I'll have to try to drink the rest of them in a different sitting.

3.16/5  rDev -13.9%

A: Pours a dark brown with some ruby as I hold it up to the light. A large, foamy, white head sticks around for a while. Leaves a very good coat of lace down the glass. A pretty darn good looking porter.
S: Blah. A grainy metallic smell, and a bit of sweet honey. Maybe a bit of roasted malt, but very faint.
T: There is a big bread and grain like flavor here. Plenty of malt, but also a strange bitterness that I don't like. There is some honey flavor towards the end that is very sweet. This is dry, watery, and thin in the mouth.
D: A fairly easy to drink porter. This is not something I want to session, but not bad in this department.

I was looking forward to trying this, but I was disappointed. All and all an average beer in my opinion.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a dark brown with just the tiniest amount of red highlights showing around the bottom. Finger width of tan head that retains well and leaves a nice latticework of lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma is surprisingly deep wiht notes of chocolate and coffee with just the tiniest amount of sweet honey in the background. I also picked up just a smidge of heat as well.

The taste is roasted malt, sweet chocolate, and coffee. The honey makes itself known with just a splash in the finish followed up by some dry hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a mellow creamy feel.

This was a nicely done and drinkable Porter from Sam Adams. I was especially surprised just how deep the roasted chocolate came through. It's definitely worth a try.

3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

Deep Varnish brown with lighter highlights around the sides. Big head fades fast to a thin but covering head that leaves a lot of lacing.

Lots of stale roast; mead-like honey and caramel aromas. Together they for a pretty rich, pleasant bouquet.

A bit of light sweetness in the front and some roast as well, but there is a high level of bitterness at the end that's usually not associated with the style and not really in-line with the rest of the flavors.

Medium carbonation but it's that tiny, bubbly kind which makes the beer feel spritzier than it should be. Again, that bitter flavor is a bit too much without being drying.

This one is a little off stylistically, but tasty, though I wouldn't buy it on purpose again.

3.29/5  rDev -10.4%

This is a beautiful porter! No doubt! Cascading bubbles and wonderful head and lacing like it should.

Malty...

Smooth malt with a wisp of everything a porter should have including roasted malt with a slight hoppy spice. Was expecting more of a honey twist going by the name, wasn't really there. Bottle says it is dry hopped but it wasn't nearly as hoppy as expected after reading this.

Nice clean easy going. Nothing really lingers.

Picked up a six-pack on a whim, I will say if you enjoy Sam Adams brews this ain't bad. What I really mean is...If you are looking for a porter and this is available you can't really go wrong with Sam Adams Honey Porter. A fine example of a what a porter should be. And if you've got friends who are easily impressed by appearances this gal is a looker in the proper glass. Cue the catcalls when your pour this fine lady!

3.64/5  rDev -0.8%

I got this one in the 2007 brewmaster's collection. It seems to have replaced the hefeweizen that I hated so much last time, and I suppose it's a welcome change.

Here we go...

Appearance: Dark, pretty average looking. Thin white head is about one to a half finger thick and dissipated within a couple of minutes.

Smell: I like the smell. It reminds me of bread baking. It's yeasty, bready, and has a hint of honey character. This would go well with a good pizza.

Taste: There's not a whole lot of taste. The beer has a little bit of grainy darkness from the malt, but not nearly the level of most stouts. There's also a faint bitterness as the beer warmed up, but it's hardly noticeable.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery. I would expect a little more out of a porter. There's just a tiny bit of graininess from the roasted malt, but you'd miss it if you weren't expecting it.

Drinkability: This beer is pretty drinkable. It's also pretty average.

pours a very dark color with a big foamy head like a rootbeer, does not dissipate at all. just hangs out like a 3rd wheel on a blind date. smell is interesting, i smell a slight spicy hop aroma, followed by some strong roasted malt accents. even smells full bodied, if that makes any sense. not a huge fan taste side, its just kinda odd, not my cup of tea. i mean it isn't bad, just not good.i really can't put my finger on it, maybe its the honey, but i'm not a big fan

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass mug.

A: Poured a dark brown/black body with a small, white head with ok retention. Slowed down to a nice lacing along the top of the beer with some lacing along the side of the glass.

S: Honey notes were evident in the smell. Smelled pretty sweet and malty overall.

T: A malty/winy kind of taste. Hints of honey were evident in the aftertaste.

M: A little thin on the mouthfeel, but pretty good.

D: A fairly drinkable beer. An ok taste with a good mouthfeel makes it an ok porter overall.

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

I liked this beer a lot. I'm not sure I could drink a bunch of them but honey porters are certainly at my attention now.

This was the first of its kind that I have tried. I enjoyed the different style but at times it seemed as though Sam Adams put too much honey into the beer as it masked other flavors that I know had to have been in there.

Still, I liked this beer and look forward to having it again someday.

Poured into SA glass.

A: dark brown with 2+ finger tan head, nice retention. slowly disipates leaving tan ring

S: caramel, chocolate, very faint smoke

T: creamy chocolate up front, followed by caramel , hops balance this porter out nicely

M: medium body with a creamy texture. there is some sweetness happening. Is it the caramel or faint honey?

D: very drinkable. very sessionable. A six pack would be nice but I'll have to settle for two at a time.

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

I managed to find a six-pack of this guy and promptly destroyed it. You can smell the hell out of the honey scent and taste it a bit too. Goes quite well with grilling out. I'd say this guy is the absolute best of all of sam adams normal beers. Just outright delicous.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Temperature, 40 degrees. Glassware used is an 8 ounce globe.

On the surface this is dark with a dance of clarity within. As I pour this downward into the glass I witness a salt & pepper with a tattered curtain of lace that remains shortly afterward.
To smell this is to witness its honey, sweet, and toffee aroma. As I sip this I detect earthiness, some oatiness, and a slight bitterness. The mouthfeel, is medium on the tongue.

2.76/5  rDev -24.8%

This beer came off a little brash. Was impressed by the roasted effect that I experienced on the smell and on the aftertaste, but it was almost a little too much. In a nutshell, I'd say that it definitely looks better than it tastes, but its definitely not a bad beer. Just mediocre.

Samuel Adams Honey Porter from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)