Samuel Adams Honey Porter - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Honey PorterSamuel Adams Honey Porter

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Porter |  5.45% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
View: Beers (129) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Honey Porter Alström Bros
neenerzig

4.13/5  rDev +12.5%

This beer pours a pretty dark brown color with some amber red highlights around the edges. The head was about an inch when poured. It doesn't stay that big for long but it does have very good staying power once it shrinks to a very nice, foamy layer on the surface of the beer. Very nice lacing too. Aromas of sweet roasted malt and some honey. not really much else smell wise. Not a very complex aroma, but a good one! In some ways the taste actually reminds me of root beer a little bit, and in a good way too. Tastes pretty much the way it smells, sweet upfront with flavors of roasted malt and honey follwed by a bit of hops. It has a nice, smooth mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink. I have another one and I am tempted to drink it now, but won't since I have to get up fairly early for work tomorrow. I actually feel quite buzzed after drinking only one of these, which leads me to believe that the ABV may be a bit higher than the average porter. And no I didn't have anything else alcoholic to drink tonight. Definetly worth a try!

Eric

01-18-2007 04:02:12 | More by neenerzig
Pinto21

Arizona

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

poured a nice dark mahogany with little off white head
smelled sweetly malty with the same taste
good mouthfeel and drinkability, i would drink a few tonight if i didnt have to get up early tomorrow
overall pretty good but little too sweet for my tooth without anything to say wow

01-17-2007 05:30:42 | More by Pinto21
slyke

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

The Samuel Adams Honey Porter pours dark brown with a little red around the edges and a thin off-white head. The aroma is roasty and sweet. Taste also roasty and sweet, but sweeter than I prefer. Mouthfeel is good for the style. Drinkability is better than average, but I don't think I'd drink more than one in a sitting. This beer is worth a try.

01-17-2007 00:00:01 | More by slyke
clemtig76

South Carolina

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

12 oz bottle from the new Brewmaster's 12-pack. Pours a beautiful mahogany black with ruby-red highlights and a nice half inch tan head that dissipates slowly leaving a fair bit of lacing. Nice maltly aroma with some honey sweetness. Taste is very smooth for a porter. Good roasty malt background with just a hint a sweetness from the heather honey. Very well balanced with a creamy mouthfeel. An outstanding offering from the folks at SA. Good job Jim!

01-15-2007 02:44:25 | More by clemtig76
malty

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Enjoy before June '07.

Pours a cola colored clear liquid with ruby highlights. A quick forming creamy light beige head about 1/2" thick.

Sweet scents of honey graham crackers and Concord grapes. After a few more brisk swirls I detect milk chocolate and marshmallow cream.

Flavors of slightly charred wood and molasses hit my palate first. A spiciness evokes (and a dryness also) from the English golding (listed on neck label) hops, makes me think of chestnuts. There's a metallic aftertaste when these quickly fading flavors fall-off.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium with a slightly watery body. Dry finish.

Drinkability for me is so-so. I'll finish this bottle, but still feeling a bit unsatisfied.

Overall an OK porter that has a nice sweet/dry thing going for it. The body and mouthfeel seem limp to me. The flavors didn't stick around long as they quickly diminished after they hit the back of my throat. I've heard great things about this ale when it first came out 6-7 years ago, so I believe the recipe must have changed some (?).

01-14-2007 20:14:18 | More by malty
Phatz

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance: Pours almost black with a light beige color creamy head that has excellent retention. Lacing lined the walls of my pint glass. This is really an attractive beer.

Smell: Sweet sugar caramel and cereal grains and honey. It has a soggy Cinnamon Toast Crunch aroma. Maybe a bit of vanilla with that malty nose.

Taste: Approachable and pleasant. It starts with sweet honey over a roasted malt typical porter body. Cinnamon and light hops with a dry-ish finish and a lingering roastyness.

Mouthfeel: A rich creamy feel that that is a bit lighter than I'd hope but decent enough.

Drinkability: This is a easy beer for a porter fan but a bit artificial. Still, I have a 6 pack and I am about to open another.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

01-13-2007 01:48:50 | More by Phatz
Byeast

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured a dark , semi-clear brown , with a rocky tan head that left lots of sticky lacing on my pint. Aromas are roasty , burnt sugar , definate honey scent , and some sweet malt. Taste is smooth and roasty , with sweet honey throughout , just a little bit of bitter and lightly spicy hop in there. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Overall a very tasty porter with a good twist. The honey is definately noticeable , and makes the brew on the sweet side for the style. Once again BBC does not dissapoint.

01-13-2007 00:53:40 | More by Byeast
BeerSox

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

12oz bottle into mug. Best by June '07, fresh sample.

Dark opaque brown, with a ruby red glow at the bottom. A tan one inch head that lasts forever, leaving a smooth silky appearance. The head settles to a thick cap. Layered sticky lacing.

Rich robust smell that has a dark roasted grainy aroma. A touch of honey sweetness can be detected.

Dark roasty malts with decent bitterness. Some bitterness from the hops, especially since it's dry-hopped. A little bit of the honey can be tasted in the end. Full bodied with good carbonation. The finish contains the dark grain, and at the very end a little bit of honey residue lingers.

Sam Adams brought this one back from demand. They gave a choice between two beers and this one reigned supreme. I'm glad they brought it back, because this is one tasty beer with a bit of a sweet twist added to a great porter. Highly recommended.

01-09-2007 05:15:24 | More by BeerSox
oldirtycaffrey

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Very nice SA selection. Pours a near-black/dark brown body with a two finger tan, foamy head, leaving a considerable amount of lacing on the glass. Smell was one of honey, malt, and alcohol. Taste reminded me of a brown ale; a little bitter, with hints of honey that come through more toward the end. A nice smooth finish makes me consider having this as a session beer. Very enjoyable.

01-08-2007 23:52:45 | More by oldirtycaffrey
Gatch

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Found it in a six-pack, which was surprising.

Dark, typical porter hue.

Smell was of raisins, roasted malt, and slightly honey.

Taste was a bit light. A medium body for a porter. Not watery, but not too flavorful. Ample honey taste though. Along with dried fruits.

Mouthfeel, again, a bit light. Honey and roasted malt showed on the palate.

I could definitely have a few. The medium body was disappointing, but helps its drinkability. You should try it without hesitation.

01-08-2007 20:32:04 | More by Gatch
Manosbeeroffate

Maine

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

An old style brought back by Sam Adams in the mix packs. Pours dark brown, almost like a dark ale rather than a porter. Smells sweet with some smokiness? Taste really nice, not too much like a porter but a not too sweet scotch ale, a hint of bitterness, maybe some honey in there too. Good mouthfeel. Overall I really like this, I was expecting this to be way too sweet but it isn't, really nice flavor. Should be a regular instead of a mix pack special.

01-07-2007 23:49:09 | More by Manosbeeroffate
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

12 oz bottle from the new Brewmaster's 12-pack. Black body with just slight ruby-red highlights with a half inch of tan head that dissipates slowly leaving a fair bit of lacing. Smells like malt sweetness and honey, though aroma is slightly weaker than I would expect. Taste consists of equal parts roasted malt and honey with a hint of alcohol. Creamy mouthfeel. Wow. This beer is fantastic. Easily a new favorite!

01-07-2007 01:48:17 | More by MrHurmateeowish
Vancer

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Wow, another solid Sammy! *except for that lousy lager*. This would be a nice brew to get a hold of – but I guess it’s just part of the winter 12 pack.

Honey chocolate malt in the sniffer. Followed by a sweet and malty quaff, this brew makes for a great crossover into craft beers. The honey is subtle, but does add to the body and sweetness. Wifey had a few tastes, and really liked a “porter”. I guess it's the overall sweetness, himm, it would be nice to have more robust hops added to dry this sucker out a tad.

A tad thin, but nice sheet laces throughout the quaff session.

01-06-2007 22:53:58 | More by Vancer
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Colossal honey! I was really unsure what to expect from this one. It poured a deep reddish brown with plenty of CO2 streaming skyward. Gorgeous offwhite foamy head stayed in place for several minutes. Very impressive. The smell was almost entirely honey. There is some roasted malt in there, and a bit of earthy hops, as well, but you really have to search for them. The honey is really, um, "present". Taste, too, is loaded with honey. There is, however, quite a pronounced bitterness on the finish, which I would probably really enjoy, but I feel it clashes with the honey a bit. Interesting thing about this one, is how there is some malt present up front, then some honey, then the hop bitterness on the finish, then, several seconds after you have finished with a sip, there is certainly a lingering honey aftertaste. Mouthfeel was really average for the style. Not spectacular, but you could do worse, too. Not sure if I could session this one or not. More than two might be a stretch. It certainly is very surprising and quite pleasant to sit down and enjoy just one, though.

01-06-2007 05:11:53 | More by SilentSabre
mac56

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Mmmm-mmmm-mmmMMMmmm.

I could drink me a lot of this.

That toffee-honey thing just gets me goin'.

Understand that porter has never been my favorite style. Just never grabbed me. But this one does, like a hairy hand in the dark. Perhaps that belies that this may not truly represent the style? I'll cop to that.

And I don't recall having it on its first go round back in the day. Probably didn't (see above, not my favorite style and whatnot).

All in all, I'll buy this whenever I see it. Recommended.

01-06-2007 01:27:44 | More by mac56
FLAbeergutinMASS

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Back to the future again with this one. One of my original craft brew experiences. Ten years ago, cold night in Florida (in you can believe it) sum'thin sweet, sum'thin different.I liked it. I was psyched when I read on BA that this was being re-released.

Now, I know my tastes have evolved, but this one wasn't left behind, as many Sam Adams are because of too early of an experience.

Easily the best Porter in America. Lives up to its bold name too.

01-02-2007 02:38:07 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
beeragent

3.18/5  rDev -13.4%

12oz. bottle, with a freshness date of 06/2007. Poured into a pint glass, the beer poured a dark amber, forming a nice 1 inch thick head, leaving nice lacing on the glass. The aroma is roasted malts, and a little honey. The taste is sweet honey up front, followed by the roasted flavor expected from a porter. The mouthfeel is medium. I'm not sure I could session this porter, but one during a session wouldnt be bad. I've never had a honey porter before this one, and wasnt quite sure what to expect. It has an interesting flavor, but its not one that I would go out of my way to get. But with that said, this is still an offering from Sam Adams worth a try.

12-28-2006 04:52:16 | More by beeragent
AustinBeerLvr

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass.

A: Awesome head retention on this brew. Leaves a substantial amount of lacing as it's being consumed, and is a beautiful dark chocolate color in the glass.

S: The nose on this brew is a wonderful blend of roasted malts and sweet honey.

T: Starts off with just a faint hint of honey and then fades to a substantial hopiness (for the stlye) of hops and roasted malts. Throughout the sip, the honey is present and provides good balance to the rest of the flavor. The only thing that I would say is just slightly off is in the beginning the honey comes through just a tad too sweet. However, this actually isn't a bad thing as the other flavors balance the sweetness out so well. This brew has one my favorite aftertastes, as it leaves a very nice honey flavor after the sip is completed.

M: Nearly perfect for a porter in my opinion. Substanital body, but not too heavy.

D: Very drinkable, but not something I would want to drink several of all the time as this is defenitely a "sipping, slow down and appreciate it" kind of brew. Not just the taste, but I even found myself stopping to smell the beer a couple of times as I was consuming it because of its awesome nose. I used to not drink Samuel Adams, and I heard this used to be one of their beers they brought back. I am damn glad they did, a wonderful porter I will continue to enjoy.

12-24-2006 21:35:33 | More by AustinBeerLvr
jasonjlewis

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Crazy crazy head and INSANE RETENTION on my glass. It's a thing of beauty. The smell is very present with chocolate malts and some honey. The tase is smooth of cours with some chocolate malts and some honey. very well balanced and smooth. Could cling a litle better to the mouth and be a little more crisp, but nevertheless I could drink this beer all night.

12-23-2006 08:35:38 | More by jasonjlewis
Freshie

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

Dark caramel/amber color. With decent head.

Smells of very pungent honey, with some dark malt.

The taste is honey sweet all-around with rich malts permeating the background. Some spice as well, most likely from the hops.

The active carbonation lends to the bite and sweetness of the honey. Not the smoothest porter I have ever had but still pretty tasty.

12-22-2006 01:25:11 | More by Freshie
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Deep, rich mahogany color. Nice, tight tan head. Good aroma-theres a sweetness to it with an almost spicy or cinnamon air to it. Distinct metallic flavor upfront. Flavor fades to a sweet, slightly roasted tinge. Again I get a spiciness to it. Not a robust porter for sure. OK body. Overall a decent beer. Theres better out there-even from Sam Adams. Page says it's retired but I had thought it was rereleased due to popular demand.

12-21-2006 22:31:41 | More by lackenhauser
mclanem

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

appearance: I a dark traditional Porter, with a good head. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Smell: Honey Toffee, a weak scent a bit disappointing. can smell the malt

Taste: can taste the honey, very robust, a bit bitter on the end but still clean.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation, enough to leave a fresher feel than other Sam Adams brews I like this part the best.

Drinkability: I would enjoy another, a great revival over all for Boston Beer Co. I would say it is worth a try.

12-20-2006 01:07:29 | More by mclanem
Jason

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Sample from the "Beer Lover's Choice" vote. 12oz brown bottle with a freshness date on the label.

A- Dark brown with ruby highlights, great head retention as the lace leave a spiderweb-like trail down the glass.

S- Slight roasted malt, raw honey comb. Caramelized / burnt sugar.

T&M- Raw honey all throughout ... almost too much of a honey character. Full bodied and very smooth, lush mouth feel. Mild roasted malt flavor and mild on the hops, barely enough bitterness to balance. Finishes very sweet.

D- Not bad but not the Honey Porter I remember ... I am sure my tastes have changed but this one comes off a bit too sweet.

08-22-2006 03:22:13 | More by Jason
RBorsato

This is one they should think about bringing back... it aged incredibly well !!

Dark chocolate brown in color with a decent light brown head, good carbonation, and decent lace rings. Lightly sweet and moderately roasty aroma and flavor. Taste a touch of honey sweetness in flavor but nicely balanced with roasty malts. Medium bodied and smotth with a sweet and dry finish (if that's possible...).

Not so robust but nicely balanced.

Label states: "Robust Porter Brewed With Honey" & "Pure honey, roasted malts, and English Fuggles and Goldings hops"

Purchase before: 05/00 ('99' emb. on bottom)
Tasted: 12/15/05

12-23-2005 17:26:18 | More by RBorsato
Gusler

Arizona

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

Reviewed 8/11/02
The color a translucent mahogany with an average head, frothy and light tan in color, lace is a fine sealing sheet. Nose is sweetly malt, crisp and fresh, hints of caramel, start is sweet, top is middling in feel. Finish is brisk in its acidity, hops mild, dry aftertaste, “Porter” just barely, more like a “Brown Ale” to me.

11-09-2003 00:50:32 | More by Gusler
Samuel Adams Honey Porter from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)